• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought & rescinding HGVC Ocean Tower, advice moving forward

DavidRNNV

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

We, my wife and I, are Newbies, to the extreme! 2 days ago bought a "new" platunium timeshare at Ocean Tower HGVC while staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island using traveling points from credit cards.

Thought we were slick, because we have used these travel points to stay at great hotels in Egypt and Paris over the last 2 years. Luckily, my wife came across TUG the night we bought the timeshare and we are all set to rescind the contract (via fax, registered mail, and email) and get our $3K deposit back today (Many, many thanks TUG!).

We've done a lot of reading on TUG (with a lot more to do!) and now know where slick actually lives!

We are planning to sit back and wait for a good resale at Kings' Land, but thought it would be a good idea to see about getting a few questions answered before we leave in 3 days:

1) What are some other time share properties we should consider on the Big Island (no kids to entertain, we like relaxing, good food, and snorkeling)?

2) Given everything has slowed and a lot is closed due to the pandemic....Is it worth driving by and looking around in person to see "the lay of the land" or is it best to just look at pictures and reviews online?

3) What is the down side to buying a resale timeshare? Other than not getting some perks for the 1st couple of years?

4) Can't the timeshare companies just end the resale market anytime they want, since they own the properties by just requiring a private membership to have access or some other method?

5) Based on your experience, how much does the right of first refusal get in the way of getting a resale where you want it?

6) The sales rep told us it takes 2 YEARS for a deed to completely finalize in Hawaii. Seriously!!?? Is this accurate? If so, is this just Hawaii?

We are looking forward to getting a real deal for our money and are already Immensely Grateful to all the TUG volunteers!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Luckily, my wife came across TUG the night we bought the timeshare and we are all set to rescind the contract (via fax, registered mail, and email) and get our $3K deposit back today (Many, many thanks TUG!).
Welcome to TUG. So glad you found us in time! Just one thought: exactly what does your contract say about the method of rescinding? Whatever it says is what you should do. Usually certified mail is the preferred way to rescind. The most importatnt thing is to have proof that you rescinded in time and a receipt from the post office showing when you mailed your letter will provide that.

Last edited:

DavidRNNV

Reaction score
Thanks Karen G! And thanks for the heads up about the rescind--tigers don't like juicy meat ripped out of their mouths, so good to make certain it is done perfectly!

Yes, we read over the contract. Says one of 3 methods: fax, mail, or email. A TUG recommendation was to do all 3, just in case they try to claim they didn't receive. Etc. So we are doing all 3!

At the business center fax machine right now!
Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hello Everyone!

We, my wife and I, are Newbies, to the extreme! 2 days ago bought a "new" platunium timeshare at Ocean Tower HGVC while staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island using traveling points from credit cards.

Thought we were slick, because we have used these travel points to stay at great hotels in Egypt and Paris over the last 2 years. Luckily, my wife came across TUG the night we bought the timeshare and we are all set to rescind the contract (via fax, registered mail, and email) and get our $3K deposit back today (Many, many thanks TUG!).

We've done a lot of reading on TUG (with a lot more to do!) and now know where slick actually lives!

We are planning to sit back and wait for a good resale at Kings' Land, but thought it would be a good idea to see about getting a few questions answered before we leave in 3 days:

1) What are some other time share properties we should consider on the Big Island (no kids to entertain, we like relaxing, good food, and snorkeling)?

2) Given everything has slowed and a lot is closed due to the pandemic....Is it worth driving by and looking around in person to see "the lay of the land" or is it best to just look at pictures and reviews online?

3) What is the down side to buying a resale timeshare? Other than not getting some perks for the 1st couple of years?

4) Can't the timeshare companies just end the resale market anytime they want, since they own the properties by just requiring a private membership to have access or some other method?

5) Based on your experience, how much does the right of first refusal get in the way of getting a resale where you want it?

6) The sales rep told us it takes 2 YEARS for a deed to completely finalize in Hawaii. Seriously!!?? Is this accurate? If so, is this just Hawaii?

We are looking forward to getting a real deal for our money and are already Immensely Grateful to all the TUG volunteers!

Welcome to TUG. Congratulations on rescinding in time. Many of us weren't so lucky but went on to buy resale for additional purchases to save money.

Can you share the type of unit, points, and price so we can record on TUG how much you saved by rescinding?

To answer your questions:

1) You should look at all the HGV properties or at least walk around the grounds: Kingsland, Kohala, Bay Club and Ocean Tower.

2) Do you plan to visit BI every year? or are you interested in other HGV locations? If so, which ones? If not BI every year you might want to buy cheaper points in Vegas and trade into BI in which there is plenty of availability. Points are points so you want the biggest bang for the buck. If you intend to visit Waikiki every year during peak season you should buy there.

3) Only downside to resale is no elite status but that's no big deal. Also need to pay attention to who you buy from if you go the Ebay or independent route. If you want to make sure you don't get scammed use a TUG recommended real estate agent. May cost slightly more but you won't get scammed because they are licensed and you will still save a bundle over developer sale. Ebay is the wild west and only for experts.

4) The haven't and they won't. They don't own the property. You do and can dispose of it any way you please.

5) Right now little ROFR with covid

6) Total BS.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
@DavidRNNV

You where like me about 15 years ago. I also bought Kahala Platinum season and on the same day of the purchase found TugBBS. Never realize there is a thriving secondary TS market. My original purchase was 8400pts direct from HGVC but was able to buy 9600pts on secondary market for 50% cheaper than the 8400pts.

Here are some of my thoughts: (Also do some searches. TugBBS has been around for a few decades and many of these questions have been asked and answered)

The Ocean Tower is good but expensive points wise. Everything is right there on the property.

Also something to think about:

Points are points. It really doesn't matter where you buy. Just look at the points. For example, I would have consider buying in Las Vegas because I have learned through TugBBS, the HGVC TS there have the lowest Maintenance Fee to Points ratio and the lowest Cost to Points ratio. There is a person on Tug that recently bought 9600pts annually for $6250 at Marbrisa. That is less than $1 a point. As for Big Island HGVC, I have never seen them so booked that you would not be able to get a room for a week, 9 mths or sooner out. i.e. even resale, the TS in the Big Island tend to be more expensive than mainland HGVC TS for the same amount of points.

Look around and drive by if you can. Most of the HGVC TS on the Big Island are open.

There is no perks for buying resale. You will not get elite status regardless of how many points you buy resale.

Maintenance Fees always rise every year. Some quickly and some not so quickly. Every end of the year, I always wonder if it was worth buying a TS knowing that the MF is about $1800/yr. With $1800/yr, I could get a hotel room, without having to worry about selling of the TS when travel is no longer an option in life. However, when I realize how much space you get in a TS (I always try to get a 2bdrm or larger), it helps me justify why I bought. I use to travel a lot on business trips, the hotel rooms, even in nice hotels, seem so small.

HGVC doesn't own the property. The TS owners own the property. HGVC and Hilton are two separate entities in which they have a very good working relationship. If for some reason the TS owners lose any access to the amenities in the Hilton property, it is because one or the other did not want to renew the contract. The only way the HGVC can end the secondary market is to buy all the property back when the owners no longer need them or move to a lease model. i.e. Lease the property for 100years and return to HGVC. Disney Vacations does this with their TS.

BTW it seems that only in Hawaii does HGVC and Hilton co-share facilities. The mainland HGVC I have been to are separate and are not adjacent, connected or part of the Hilton Hotel. No, I take that back. The HGVC at Trump tower I stayed at in Las Vegas is part of the hotel.

There is a sticky somewhere here in TugBBS that tracks this. However, there appears to be a Tugger that was able to buy 9600pts for $6250. He didn't state it passed ROFR but the way the he wrote his post, it sounded like he passed.

When I bought in Hawaii (Home and TS) it took less than a month. Actually it took what every it said on the closing paper. Hawaii has a lax attitude but we are not lazy. Business is still business and the job will get done quickly. We smile, wave, and say "No worries" a lot.

Good luck in buying resale. Take you time, search TugBBS for answer, and then buy. There is a lot in the secondary market so you don't need to worry about inventory drying up anytime soon.

DavidRNNV

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response CalGalTraveler!

This is our first time in Hawaii, but very much like the BI. Not into crowds, and heard that Maui is pretty crowded. Also guessing that the other islands are too isolated to be much of exchange value.

We live and work in Las Vegas and I'm planning to retire in 10 years, so we are already considering a Vegas TS first. We could use it for our home base at retirement. Wife has been an online worker for 10 years+ already. So she can work from anywhere in the world!

We do expect to come to Hawaii regularly, maybe not every year, but 1 out of 3 years. At the very minimum. Just looks like Hawaii will always have a good exchange value (right term?)

What we rescinded: Ocean Tower Studio Platinum, about $20K with 13,400 bonus points and a 3,400 annual points. MF was around $1161 if I remember it right.

Expect there is a specific location to report this on TUG just have had time to dig for it yet.

FYI, waiting for Uber, TS rep (different one who didn't know us) started chit-chatting, "where you from?", etc. Then started to tell us about HGVC. I just told her we just bought one. She like disappointed, but Iwas very much smiling inside! Looking forward to that satisfying feeling many more times years to come!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Congrats on the rescission and welcome to TUG. You're in the right place and this website and the people here are like an MBA in Timesharing.

My wife and I went to a HGVC presentation in 2015 as part of a package at Kings Land. I had a pretty strong conviction that we shouldn't buy directly from them going in and we didn't buy. We really enjoyed our time there and even spent an afternoon at the pools by the Towers and found KL to be so much more our vibe. We've traveled with my SIL/BIL who own a couple of times and I've been lurking around here for awhile. My wife is out of the career she worked at for 30+ years and I'm still working but flexible, but I can see in the next few years we might want to travel a bit where a TS makes more sense for us now.

I'd encourage you to read through as many posts on here as you can and discover what other people have experienced. There are some really good resources including:

2020 Points HGVC Open Season (a pdf with all the locations, points needed and Season Dates)

Club Reference 2020 (a pdf with all the Club Rules and Fees)

A spreadsheet that antother TUG'er put together is also on here and it breaks down the MF's for most locations and can direct you to some of the lower point deeds. One of the things I learned here was that , different points deeds at the same resort in the same room category ie: a standard 1BR Gold and a 1BR Platinum - Premium/Plus deed have the same MF's, but you might pay more for it up front. So a 3400 point deed can have the same MF's as a 7000 point one. I've seen some low price deals posted, but some have higher MF's. It's all about finding the right mix of up front $ and MF's.

I am about to close on my first two contracts and found them both on http://www.timesharebrokersmls.com/ You can filter some searches on that website and even copy/paste into Excel to sort etc. The listings ended up being through a broker (Judi K) http://www.judikoz.com/ who gets good reviews here and I been very happy with the service I received.

The two contracts I'm closing on are a 1BR Premier Platinum Season at Kings Land - 12,600 pts EOY-Odd and a 1 BR Grand at Elara 7,000 points EY. I paid a total of $10,250 for these two deeds and the closing costs, transfer fees ($425/deed), activation fees ($609/deed) etc will add about $4000 on top of the purchase prices. The MF's on these are about $.125/point and my purchase price was just under $.80/point before the fees. I signed both of these deals in early November and ROFR passed within a few days. Annualizing the EOY contract will give me 13,300 pts/year and I'll be paying an average of about $1820/year including the Club fee of $186 each year.

Last thought I picked up here is to buy Platinum Season and travel Gold Season to strecth your points!

Good luck!

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@DavidRNNV Glad you rescinded. Based on your response, you would do well with buying resale Vegas points and using them to trade into Hawaii or elsewhere in the system.

Thanks for sharing what you rescinded: "Ocean Tower Studio Platinum, about $20K with 13,400 bonus points and a 3,400 annual points. MF was around $1161 if I remember it right." cc @TUGBrian @Grammarhero for TUG rescission tracking

To compare: You could buy resale a 7k point BLVD or Paradise for about $6 - 7k all in with a MF of about $1000. Take your time and research before you buy. Good luck!

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Congrats on not throwing away tens of thousands of dollars!! I was close to a purchase two years ago and then found TUG thankfully. After 1.5 years of research and interaction on TUG, I Just purchased a couple of resale deeds within the past few months. I was an absolute noob with this stuff until these wonderful people at TUG enlightened me! Thoughtfully consider subscribing with an annual paid membership of $15. Think how much this site has saved you already!

1. If Kings’ Land is your objective (I heartily approve), I strongly recommend buying points elsewhere like Vegas as others like CalGal said. KL has so much inventory that it’s rare for them to sell out - excluding last-minute or holidays. If you were looking at one of the specific Waikiki locations that Fill up sooner you might consider buying that location directly for a longer booking window.

2. Most will say the benefits of being Elite (and beyond) are not worth it the tens of thousands you’d have to pay from the developer to achieve that status

3. Yeah I also call shenanigans at the two year wait for purchases to close in Hawaii.

As noted philosopher John McClane said in the greatest Christmas movie of all time, “Welcome to the party, Pal!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
What we rescinded: Ocean Tower Studio Platinum, about $20K with 13,400 bonus points and a 3,400 annual points. MF was around $1161 if I remember it right.
@Grammarhero will pickup on it.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Congratulations and welcome. I agree with the great advice already provided to you above. I would also recommend taking your time before you purchase something. There isn't a rush because great resale deals are always around. You may also want to investigate the other TS systems to ensure that you are picking the correct one for you and your family. Don't get me wrong, I love HGVC. It is the only thing which I own. I think it is a great system that treats their resale customers very well. I also believe it is a great value for a good quality system. The only downside that I can think of is there aren't enough locations as some of the other systems.

Ocean Tower Studio Platinum, about $20K with 13,400 bonus points and a 3,400 annual points. MF was around $1161
This would have been a terrible purchase. Not only is the purchase price super high but also the MFs at around 34¢/point are super high. We have a spreadsheet available to you with some of the best MF/points ratios in the HGVC system. As others have already pointed out, it isn't necessary to purchase on the BI for home week advantage. Therefore, you can purchase a low-cost HGVC TS with low yearly MFs at another location and still travel to the BI when you want (assuming you book early in the club season booking window). Some places, we do recommend that you own there, but the BI isn't one of them. For me, these two TS are some of the best ones to own for MFs in the HGVC system.
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 5.43.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 5.43.35 PM.png

This is just an example to get you thinking. Secondly, you also need to consider how many points to purchase. This will depend on how many trips you plan to make each year and how many people will be going. I have never stayed in an HGVC studio unit. To me, that is a hotel room and not what I am planning spend my time in at an HGVC resort.›

These are just some of my opinions, but another one of the great features of the HGVC TS system is that it is very flexible.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Thanks for the detailed response CalGalTraveler!

We do expect to come to Hawaii regularly, maybe not every year, but 1 out of 3 years. At the very minimum. Just looks like Hawaii will always have a good exchange value (right term?)

I Echo everything GT just said

1. There really isn’t going to be an “exchange value” per se. Some deeds carry more resale value than others - namely platinum versus gold season points, and some specific locations - But they are also more expensive to start with. Generally...

2. A point of reference for how much of a travesty that “offer” was. A 7000-pt odd-year platinum listing at Elara (Vegas) just sold on eBay for $3000. Closing costs and transfer fee was covered, and the first year of points (2021) was free as well. MF’s were $900 per odd year (club dues of $186 are paid every year). Pointwise this is comparable to your “offer” in regards to season (platinum) and average annual points (3400 vs 3500). Including the sale price and HGVC activation fee of $609, it would take around 24 years of owning the ELARA listing to reach that $20,000 spending threshold!!

I was also in the same boat. I think I had a $10,000 offer for 1600 points or something ridiculous like that?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
What everyone else said. There are some trusted resellers out there if you want to compare prices. Take a look at the Vegas Flamingo 2br 7000 points for $5250. Twice as many points that you purchased at 25% of the cost. No rofr at Flamingo, nice units, great location.

The only problem using Vegas points to go to Kingsland is the number of points required, you might need 2 contracts...the lower point units at KL book up first at 9 months.

Full disclosure - I own at KL and also enjoy staying there the most. I got a great deal on a resale unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DavidRNNV

Reaction score
Just back from a leisurely drive on the BI and found a lot of great information:
  • It’s about the points and the best deal you can get for them. Cost per point. Location is nice, but not that important.
  • There is no real downside, except to make sure they are legit sellers/deals and when you want to ever sell it, hope to break even.
  • Anticipate the MF to constantly go up, so plan for it!
  • Know what the going reasonable rate for MF/points is – looks like < 0.1 or thereabouts is a great goal (expecting the market prices to get better, given the long pandemic - hoping COVID-19 does not mutate and then we have a COVID-21 :-(
  • TS companies cannot just close-up shop, because they don’t own the shop. TS buyers own the properties via the deed. The deed is proof of having tangible portion of the property…it may be an equivalent to ½ a tile in the bathroom, but it is your property (you just which tile is yours, LOL! Crazy!).
  • King’s Land is a good property to have, so worth the wait. Vegas properties are more reasonable with reasonable MF. We are planning on getting a Vegas property 1st, but will also keep our eyes out for something Kings’ Landing.
  • Lots of good historical and current data to review on TUGBBS. Stick with referral from TUGBBS.
  • I joined TUGBBS last night – best $15 I have ever spent!
  • Stick with Platinum Season as much as possible.
  • ROFR is not a huge issue, especially during ‘pandemic season’.
  • Grammarhero and TUGBrian are THE rescission masters! Thanks!
  • Be patient, research, buy when you find a good deal.
  • Book in advance by 6 months +
I think I got everything but will keep on reading/researching.

Thanks everyone! Very much appreciate the help!

BTW…the TS sales rep emailed us how disappointed she is in us and wants the free HGVC canvas tote bag she gave us back before we leave! (WOW!) I’m sure a fair number of people back out. They kept asking when we were going to be leaving the BI. Guess they were trying to figure out when they could start counting on their commission checks. At times I start to feel bad for them, but then remember how fake friendly they were being. I could never do their job. I would not be able to sleep at night!
All the best for you and your families - stay safe!
DavidRNV

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
BTW…the TS sales rep emailed us how disappointed she is in us and wants the free HGVC canvas tote bag she gave us back before we leave! (WOW!) I’m sure a fair number of people back out. They kept asking when we were going to be leaving the BI. Guess they were trying to figure out when they could start counting on their commission checks. At times I start to feel bad for them, but then remember how fake friendly they were being. I could never do their job. I would not be able to sleep at night!
DavidRNV

I think that you will find that by far the most *common complaint you will hear about HGVC is the dishonesty/demeanor of the timeshare sales department. That might just be the nature of the beast with timeshare sales. Once you get past/say no to them, it’s a great company which has greatly enhanced my family’s travel options, especially to their hubs of Vegas, Florida and Hawaii. Happy hunting!

*second most common is probably web site and ESPECIALLY HGVC app issues. But by and large the website is usually pretty good.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
DavidRNV

Great observations and congrats on your research. re: Tote bag. This is a new one. I don't think she wants the bag. This is a ploy to get you back in the sales office so they can try to talk you out of the deal. Be very careful because they can be persuasive. There is no deal they can offer you that is better than resale (believe me, I've researched this.)

If it is a so called, "Good deal" you can always say, "I am going to take my time and conduct my own research" Deal will be there later (no worries what they tell you - its a closing ploy). Either drop the bag at reception at the sales office and get a receipt from the receptionist to prove you returned it (tell them you have a plane to catch and in a hurry so must leave ASAP.) or better yet mail it with tracking - costs a bit more but avoids headache.

Lastly, don't feel bad for the rep. We bought retail on our first purchase. Never heard from the rep after the sale. Many reps turn over. We attended on owner updates about 1 - 2 times a year pre-Covid. Never had the same rep twice.

Good luck!

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I always feel sorry for the people at the pool carrying the HGV bag, just knowing their euphoria will soon wear off.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I'd tell her you got sick in the bag once you realized how bad the deal was and ask where she wants it dropped off.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I'm glad you rescinded and agree with the advice you have received. I would buy in Vegas and use those points to travel to the Big Island -- we love Kings Land and have been many times. Please don't spend any more of your Hawaii time with the sales team and when you are back, send her a note and indicate if she wants the bag back, can she provide a FedEx label and you will send it back to her. I bet you will end up keeping it. Enjoy Hawaii and welcome to TUG!

Best,

Greg

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Congrats on rescinding your deed. We bought resale and love the system and the resorts. We could care less about any of the Elite perks. We get the same booking windows as any other member and with the knowledge gained from this awesome group of people, I feel my chances of getting the reservation I want is better than most.

As many have said above, there is already great advice in this thread, so I won’t rehash. While I concur that most resorts in Vegas will give a great point to MF ratio, there are exceptions, though. Stay away from purchasing Trump Tower. The point to MF ratio is sky high. The Flamingo 1 bedroom deeds have very high MF’s as well. The 2 bedroom deeds are decent (close to that magical $0.15 MF per point ratio). Elara 1 and 2 bedroom Plus and Grand Plus deeds have an outstanding ratio. The regular 1 and 2 bedroom units? Not so much.

One thing you may want to look at is the awesome spreadsheet @GT75 has created. It’s in the maintenance fee thread. Take a peak and see which are the best deals. Remember, HGVC MF’s are based on room size. A 2 bedroom at The Flamingo has MF’s of $1082. You pay that no matter the season. Silver season gives you 3500 points, gold 5000 and platinum 7000 so it’s a better deal to get the platinum. You get more vacation time for your MF’s. Even with room designations, the MF’s don’t change. At Elara, a 1 bedroom has MF’s of $887. You can get points anywhere from 2400 points (1bedroom in the silver season) all that way up to 7800 (platinum 1 bedroom Grand Plus) and pay the same MF’s. Now, you will pay more upfront for a better deed so you have to determine the balance.

So happy you became a member. The reviews alone are worth $15.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@rabmsn renting is always an option and I always consider that. You have sparked my curiosity:

You mentioned that you were in 1 bdrm Jr suites in Phase II during January. It sounds like you are paying $1393/week + $175 resort fees = $1568 to rent.

Looking at the chart below, you would need 4800 - 6200 points for the week. If you owned a Las Vegas BLVD 1 Bdrm Penthouse with 6200 points you would pay $647.42 + club fees of $185 = $832/week for a 1 bdrm plus or $644.13 for a 1 bdrm per week. Saving $736 - $923.87 per year. Assuming you paid $7000 for the Vegas unit, your breakeven would be after 7.57 years of use assuming zero residual value.

Lastly, aren't those Phase II one bedrooms the smallest units at Kingsland that face the parking lot? To compare: If you bought a 7k+ Vegas you could stay in a much nicer unit. With rentals it's like a box of chocolates - don't know what you will get. However you don't have the obligations either.

Congrats on finding something that works for you. You will know in Year 8 whether this plan worked. If you wanted to stay on in a nicer unit, 2 bdrm to bring family, HGV Oahu or eventually on HGV Maui, the rental rates are much higher at $3000 - $5000 per week so the economics of owning are significantly better.

1607876115360.png

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I always feel sorry for the people at the pool carrying the HGV bag, just knowing their euphoria will soon wear off.

FYI...I carry the bag at the pool but didn't buy...no need to feel sorry.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

FYI...I carry the bag at the pool but didn't buy...no need to feel sorry.

So, is it a gift for going to the presentation? If so, they have no right to ask for it back. That’s just a ploy to get another shot at the sale.