• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Book With Points - Questions From an Abound Newbie

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
I converted my 2024 Vistana VOI's to Abound club points; I am Select level. I have been trying for the past 3 weeks to make a 13-month out reservation. I know going in I am trying for something that will be hard to get, but just trying to see if I can get "lucky". My search is all set up for 5 different resorts, and I have hit the search button immediately at the top of the hour. After a few seconds I see exactly what I want in the availability calendar (white boxes) and click on it. I have already calcuated points in advance so I know I am choosing a check-in date that I have enough points for. The system immediately responds with something like "that selection is no longer available". This is at no more than 15-seconds after the hour. I have had this happen three weeks in a row now. In subsequent searches there are usually still some resort selections in the list but fewer than the first time, and now everytime I click on a new resort the pop-up calendar comes up showing only days not available (light gray boxes) or outside of the reservation window (dark gray boxes). Some questions:

1) Do reservations literally get picked up that fast if I am pressing the search button as the second hand sweeps the top of the hour (on my mobile phone clock)?

2) In my 5 resort search which was for April 2024, usually there is one or two that say in the list produced "unavailable, try another date". But, when I choose a resort that does have the "availability button", the calendar comes up. This calendar has the white box (available) and gives me choices, or it has the light gray or dark gray boxes. On subsequent searches I usually see only the light or dark gray boxes. Why on the first screen does it seem to imply there is availability, but then take you to a calendar that has no white boxes? Why doesn't it just produce the "unavailable, try another date" like it does for the other resorts?

3) Does anybody have any tricks for snagging reservations that they are willing to share? I am going to try this again at the 12-month window for the dates I am interested in, hoping there will be more available slots released. I will also put in a request with customer service at 12-months, if necessary.

4) Within 15-20 minutes after the hour, all of my searched resorts are back to saying "unavailable, try another date". Can I expect all availability to clear out this fast at 12-months as well?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Have you tracked ACTUAL release dates/times at the resorts you are looking at? As an example, at several of the Caribbean resorts I was looking at recently, the ACTUAL release date was 9am a day before what the website said the release date should have been. Also, many times, inventory will be released at midnight the night before published release dates. I always start looking at actual release dates/times about a month prior to when I want to book to hone in on the actual release pattern for my targeted resorts.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Have you tracked ACTUAL release dates/times at the resorts you are looking at? As an example, at several of the Caribbean resorts I was looking at recently, the ACTUAL release date was 9am a day before what the website said the release date should have been. Also, many times, inventory will be released at midnight the night before published release dates. I always start looking at actual release dates/times about a month prior to when I want to book to hone in on the actual release pattern for my targeted resorts.
For points reservations, the release date doesn't change based on the resort. It might for weeks based reservations as some resorts have a Thur first checkin day where others have Fri as the first checkin day. But points work all the same...

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
For points reservations, the release date doesn't change based on the resort. It might for weeks based reservations as some resorts have a Thur first checkin day where others have Fri as the first checkin day. But points work all the same...
The PUBLISHED release date is the same for all resorts for points booking, but some resorts release early, as in my example above where St Kitts and St Thomas released at 9am the day before the published release date. My point is that if you wait for the published release date at some resorts, you may be too late, so best to research ahead of time to see if your targeted resort releases based on the published schedule, or based on something else.

Last edited:

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
Referring back to my OP, this is strictly a points reservation. On the Vistana website dashboard we have a link to the MVC "Club Points Reservation Windows" page. This MVC page says "When Can I Reserve" at the top. Right below the desired arrival date selection box it states "All reservation may be made beginning at 9 a.m. Eastern Time on the date indicated as the 'First Day to Reserve'". For 13-month reservations this (so far) is always Tuesday, and for 12-month is (so far) always Friday. I have made repeated reservation attempts at several different times through out the days beforehand with nothing ever appearing bookable until the second after 9 a.m. Eastern Time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The PUBLISHED release date is the same for all resorts for points booking, but some resorts release early, as in my example above where St Kitts and St Thomas released at 9am the day before the published release date. My point is that if you wait for the published release date at some resorts, you may be too late, so best to research ahead of time to see if your targeted resort releases based on the published schedule, or based on something else.
I thought this only happened with 12 month reservations. At least that is what I have seen reported. I haven't seen it previously mentioned about 13 month reservations.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Referring back to my OP, this is strictly a points reservation. On the Vistana website dashboard we have a link to the MVC "Club Points Reservation Windows" page. This MVC page says "When Can I Reserve" at the top. Right below the desired arrival date selection box it states "All reservation may be made beginning at 9 a.m. Eastern Time on the date indicated as the 'First Day to Reserve'". For 13-month reservations this (so far) is always Tuesday, and for 12-month is (so far) always Friday. I have made repeated reservation attempts at several different times through out the days beforehand with nothing ever appearing bookable until the second after 9 a.m. Eastern Time.
Seems your target resorts are following the published release dates. 13 month availability can be sparse, so hopefully you have better luck at 12 month. From your explanation in the first post, it seems like your approach is sound. Seems like they may only have a week available and somebody is beating you too it by a few seconds.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I thought this only happened with 12 month reservations. At least that is what I have seen reported. I haven't seen it previously mentioned about 13 month reservations.
I’ve seen as much irregularity at 13 as I have seen at 12. I use the “when can I reserve” as a guide, but my experience with all things MVC IT related, it’s not followed like it’s gospel.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I’ve seen as much irregularity at 13 as I have seen at 12. I use the “when can I reserve” as a guide, but my experience with all things MVC IT related, it’s not followed like it’s gospel.
I didn't think the dates opened up to click on until the booking window opened for 13 months? Right now I can't click on April 24, 2024 as that window doesn't open until the 28th of March. Do you have to search with flexible dates by Month? Though even when doing that, the dates outside the window are all grayed out. Do those dates become selectable once inventory is there even though it is still technically outside the window?

KS2beach

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WRF 2007
WKV 2019
SMV 2006
MVC 2020
I converted my 2024 Vistana VOI's to Abound club points; I am Select level. I have been trying for the past 3 weeks to make a 13-month out reservation. I know going in I am trying for something that will be hard to get, but just trying to see if I can get "lucky". My search is all set up for 5 different resorts, and I have hit the search button immediately at the top of the hour. After a few seconds I see exactly what I want in the availability calendar (white boxes) and click on it. I have already calcuated points in advance so I know I am choosing a check-in date that I have enough points for. The system immediately responds with something like "that selection is no longer available". This is at no more than 15-seconds after the hour. I have had this happen three weeks in a row now. In subsequent searches there are usually still some resort selections in the list but fewer than the first time, and now everytime I click on a new resort the pop-up calendar comes up showing only days not available (light gray boxes) or outside of the reservation window (dark gray boxes). Some questions:

1) Do reservations literally get picked up that fast if I am pressing the search button as the second hand sweeps the top of the hour (on my mobile phone clock)?

2) In my 5 resort search which was for April 2024, usually there is one or two that say in the list produced "unavailable, try another date". But, when I choose a resort that does have the "availability button", the calendar comes up. This calendar has the white box (available) and gives me choices, or it has the light gray or dark gray boxes. On subsequent searches I usually see only the light or dark gray boxes. Why on the first screen does it seem to imply there is availability, but then take you to a calendar that has no white boxes? Why doesn't it just produce the "unavailable, try another date" like it does for the other resorts?

3) Does anybody have any tricks for snagging reservations that they are willing to share? I am going to try this again at the 12-month window for the dates I am interested in, hoping there will be more available slots released. I will also put in a request with customer service at 12-months, if necessary.

4) Within 15-20 minutes after the hour, all of my searched resorts are back to saying "unavailable, try another date". Can I expect all availability to clear out this fast at 12-months as well?
I also did the same thing exchanged some of our vistana options to MVC points, I was able to book 13 months out April 2024 for Ritz St Thomas-but they went fast. I will say check back daily I constantly see new ones popping up daily but they also get snatched up quickly (maybe ones cancelling etc). Also i have played with the number of days- that triggers different inventory (check 7 days- then 6 days- then 5 days -etc) I currently am looking for 4 nights in April 2024 at another resort and so far no luck. But will keep trying as I hear new inventory released at 12 months and 10 months- 8 months. Good luck to you.

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
I also did the same thing exchanged some of our vistana options to MVC points, I was able to book 13 months out April 2024 for Ritz St Thomas-but they went fast. I will say check back daily I constantly see new ones popping up daily but they also get snatched up quickly (maybe ones cancelling etc). Also i have played with the number of days- that triggers different inventory (check 7 days- then 6 days- then 5 days -etc) I currently am looking for 4 nights in April 2024 at another resort and so far no luck. But will keep trying as I hear new inventory released at 12 months and 10 months- 8 months. Good luck to you.
Great suggestions, thank you! Last Tuesday it worked out for us as I posted here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/abound-newbie-los-suenos.351240/. Very excited for Costa Rica next year!

gllata

Reaction score

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
So how were you able to book Costa Rica with points? Any tips/tricks? I’ve been trying for a few months now…similar results as you had initially…basically, Costa Rica is gone instantly (or never even available)…

I wish I knew what the trick was, so I can repeat it again in the future! What I can share is the strategy I used:

1) I studied the points charts and knew how many points I would need for Los Suenos, Aruba, St. Kitts, or St. Thomas. 8-10 nights was desired at any of these locations.
2) Based on research I knew for us, any dates April-early May were desired, ideally Friday, Saturday, or Sunday check-in. I planned to try at 13 months out, and if that failed, then try at 12 months out.
3) I tried every Tuesday morning at exactly 9am Eastern. I had search already set up for the above. I tried for every week in April 2024 (meaning every Tuesday morning in March 2023).
4) I almost got something the second week of trying, but it was gone by the time I clicked on the dates in the calendar. By the 4th week I decided to just search on a single resort for the exact number of days based on our available points at Los Suenos. Saw Sunday check-in was available and grabbed it. Reservation was successful! And by this point I was pretty much resigned that I was going to have to go to Plan B and try at 12 months out.

The only other reason I can think of is that our dates of April 28 - May 8, 2024 are just after a drop in Abound points needed, and it might be right at the start of the less desirable dates in Costa Rica. But again, my research had told me that these were still good dates and should be fine for weather, etc. I hope some of this helps and I wish you good luck in snagging something as well.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Going to add some additional data points on the 13-month / 12-month booking window discussion on Abound points.

I've been trying to reserve Memorial Day week at Surfwatch for 2024. I first tried to book it on the 13-month release date (April 25th) just a few minutes after 9 AM. By then, the weekend check-in dates were gone (just Mon-Thurs left) and within a couple more minutes they were gone as well. Fast forward to now, where the release date is supposed to be tomorrow, Friday, May 26th. I logged on at exactly 9 AM this morning and plenty of inventory was there (and still is, along with everything else in May). I booked my reservations and will keep checking to see how the inventory holds up. Memorial Day is the last week before the big point jump to the summer season so I'd assume it has pretty decent demand.

So it looks like there was a tiny bit of inventory release at 13 months, then lots more at 12 months a day earlier than the "Whey Can I Reserve?" indicates which seems to align with what others have experienced.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Going to add some additional data points on the 13-month / 12-month booking window discussion on Abound points.

I've been trying to reserve Memorial Day week at Surfwatch for 2024. I first tried to book it on the 13-month release date (April 25th) just a few minutes after 9 AM. By then, the weekend check-in dates were gone (just Mon-Thurs left) and within a couple more minutes they were gone as well. Fast forward to now, where the release date is supposed to be tomorrow, Friday, May 26th. I logged on at exactly 9 AM this morning and plenty of inventory was there (and still is, along with everything else in May). I booked my reservations and will keep checking to see how the inventory holds up. Memorial Day is the last week before the big point jump to the summer season so I'd assume it has pretty decent demand.

So it looks like there was a tiny bit of inventory release at 13 months, then lots more at 12 months a day earlier than the "Whey Can I Reserve?" indicates which seems to align with what others have experienced.
You should be aware that while they release some at 13 months and some at 12 months, they can only release what they have in the Trust. This is a problem as there may be very few villas owned by the Trust. While it is not disclosed, my experience indicates that the Trust owns very little in Hilton Head. You must wait for week owners to deposit weeks for points.

You might see what you can get and then go on the waitlist at 12 months. The waitlist inventory would likely come from weeks deposited for points by week owners.

I tried to get points reservations 13 months out on Tuesday at 9:00 am for anything in So Carolina. I thought I had 1 points reservation but it was gone before I could push the button. Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach are hard to get for points in prime seasons.

If you get really discouraged, rent the week on Redweek or Tug.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
You should be aware that while they release some at 13 months and some at 12 months, they can only release what they have in the Trust.

You might see what you can get and then go on the waitlist at 12 months. The waitlist inventory would likely come from weeks deposited for points by week owners.
Why do you feel only Trust inventory is released when those windows open up. I would argue that any elected weeks elected before 13 and 12 month release dates are also released at those times.

To your second point, I believe they also fill waitlists by snatching inventory from Interval International.