• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island First Timers

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Taking the southern route between Kona and Hilo is 125 miles, so if you have a decent EV I don't see an issue with that.

Kurt

Yes. My point was that charging might be an issue. After digging a bit deeper, there are stations along the way, if needed, and assuming they're working. 👍

Dave

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented a hybrid on the Big Island in 2023. There was one paid charging station in Waikoloa Village back then. There were a couple in the Target parking lot in Kailua-Kona, as well as the Walmart, that offered the first two hours of charging for free. The community centre in Waimea also offered some free charging as well.

JoannaAdler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens
Just some random notes for you to consider:
Your mom is 78 and cannot walk far, correct?

1. Paniolo Greens.
- You may want to ask for a ground floor unit at check-in, there are lots of stairs. There may be one that backs onto the golf course available, depending on when you’re there in person for the Friday check-in.
- There is a good-value KTA grocery store right in Waikoloa Village, on the other side of the golf course, so you can wait to buy refrigerated foods after check-in (depending on what time you land at KOA).
- The resort pool is basic, with lots of kids on Saturdays and Sundays. Quiet the rest of the time, and enjoyable at the end of the day.
- You can rent beach chairs, an umbrella, and cooler from the resort’s small concession.
- There is no restaurant or snack bar at PG, but several eat-in or take-out choices in the Village. Consider maybe making an early dinner reservation at Pueo’s Osteria on the Friday that you arrive, asking for a table with a view (and what a view it has!) - they have some vegetarian and vegan choices.
- It’s roughly a 20-min~ drive to the nearest beaches.

2. Nearest beaches.
- ʻAnaehoʻomalu Beach (A-Beach) is the nearest, just down the hill (Waikoloa Beach resort area). Lots of parking (free). I like this one for a quick swim, to lounge under the trees, and to catch the sunset.
- Honokaope Beach (Beach 49, Mauna Lani resort area) is gated and has very limited parking (fee?), but it’s a short walk. Best to either get there early, or try your luck at around 2-3pm. This one is great for snorkeling (morning is best), and to read a book in the sun.
- The Mauna Lani Beach Club beach on Makaiwa Bay is a very long walk from the public parking… so would not be a good choice for your mom.
- Hapuna Beach’s waters can be treacherous, and best to avoid completely in ‘brown water’ conditions after a rainfall. Lots of parking (fee). It’s a good spot to sit and watch surfers though.
- Kaunaʻoa Beach at the Mauna Kea Hotel. Limited and always full parking (fee?), and due to construction in Sept, is now located a long walk through the property to get to the public part of the beach.
Tip: If your mom has an handicap parking placard, bring it.

3. HVNP.
- Short walks: Sulphur Banks, Nahuku-Thurston lava tube.
- Take the Saddle Rd as early as you can in the morning from PG. Do a 15-min stop at Rainbow Falls before you get to Hilo (very short walk from free parking.) Cut across the top end of Hilo town to get to Hway 11.
- I suggest taking the southern route back, with a brief stop at Puunalu’u Beach on the way and picking up malasadas to take home at the Puenalu’u bakery (try the lilikoi and the guava!)
Tip: If you wish to do a longer walk, drop off mom at the historic Volcano House Lodge. Right through the main entrance, at the back overlooking the crater, is a small very pleasant seating area with a great view. I have parked myself there many times with a book and a coffee while my companions hike the Kilauea Iki trail.

4. The farmers markets are always best visited early, rather than later. Fresh local veggies, Hamakua mushrooms, leafy vegs, tomatoes, herbs, seasonal local fruit, as well as flowers tend to sell out very quickly. Some veggie and fruit sellers do buy imported produce from Costco to sell at these markets (even in Hilo!), and that’s what is usually left later in the day.
Tip: Almost every pinapple sold in the BI farmers markets comes from Costco - so just buy yours there or at the KTA.

5. I recommend swapping out your Saturday. It’s a closer drive to the Waimea farmers markets (x2) in the morning instead - better produce & more local growers (and if early enough you can get flowers). Lots of artisans as well. Try the coffee at the Pukalani Stables market. Then head out to Honoka’a for lunch (maybe Hamorni Foods?) and a quick hop of the shops. Do the chocolate tour that afternoon. Do a quick 20-min stop at the Waipi’o Overlook on your way back. Go watch the sunset from the A-Bay beach at Waikoloa Resort.

6. Experiences/excursions.
- You and your mom will enjoy the Fairwinds excursion very much. Do book it early. Allow a good 50-min drive to get there. Drop off mom, then go find parking. If the 14-year-old decides to come, this will be the highlight of his week. I personally would schedule it for midweek (Tuesday.)
- There’s no need to advance book the Greenwell coffee farm tour… one leaves every 20-mins or so. Other farm tours will need to be booked in advance, although The Vanillerie farm near the airport can just be a drop-in as well.
- South Kona (Greenwell’s and the Pu'uhonua o Honaunau NP) should be saved for Thursday.
Honaunau Bay snorkeling is good, but the entry and exit at Two-Step is a ‘black and blue’ experience - def not suitable for your mom IMHO.

7. Daytrip to Hilo on Wed.
- Again, take the Saddle Rd in the morning, direct from PG. Do the Farmers Market first.
- I strongly discourage doing the Hawai‘i Tropical Botanical Garden hike with your mom. From what you have described, she will not be able to handle the sharp climb back. Rainbow Falls will be far easier on her. If you go, I highly recommend visiting the small Pacific Tsunami Museum in downtown Hilo.
- I suggest taking the Hamakua Coast route back through Waimea. Do take the Onomea Scenic Drive out along the Old Mamaloa Highway, and make a quick stop at the Laupahoehoe Park.
Tip: This would be a good day to cut out entirely, esp given that the Botanical Gardens just won’t be doable with your mom.

Finally, keep in mind that there’s a cruise ship in port in Hilo on Tuesdays, and in Kailua-Kona on Wednesdays (also on Sept. 16, 20, 24 and 28.)

Personally, I think that you’re trying to pack too much in. I would suggest skipping Hilo this trip.
Be prepared for rain, especially on the east side of the Island (HVNP, Hilo, Honoka’a, as well as Waimea.) Expect clouds moving in mid-afternoon on the West side.
If the 14-year old joins you, maybe do fewer farm visits and allow for more beach time.
Enjoy your trip!
I second everything here - great suggestions/info.