• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island First Timers

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I had some RCI points that were going to expire so I booked a trip to the Big Island with my mom (age 78). This will be my 2nd time to Hawaii, first to the Big Island and my mom's first time to Hawaii.
I booked a few extra nights in Waikiki using some credit card points so that we can experience those two islands and do Pearl Harbor (since I didn't get to on my first visit).
My son (age 14) may or may not join us. Hubby is staying home with the pets. He has to work and do other boring things ;)

I know to rent a car for the Big Island. What else do I need to know?
My mom can walk 1-2 miles with breaks per day. If there aren't places to stop and sit to rest then she can only really do 1/2 mile. So longer hikes are out of the question (though I am willing to do a couple alone).

Do you have any special suggestions?
No restaurants please.

TIA!!!
It is a shame that your husband has to stay home with the pets and work. The first thing I would recommend is to not let the pets run your or your husband's life. If he has to continue to work well that is a major concern and hopefully he has a good plan to deal with that and retiirement, but the pets should not be his burden or his responsibiltiy to prevent him from having a great time on the island of Hawaii.

I don't know where you are staying so I can't tell you how walkable your area is. The Waikoloa area is very walkable and if you are stayying at one of the HGVC resorts you can really get around the entire community without a car since they have a free shuttle to shopping and all the resorts. The Big Island is called "BIG Island" because it is big and you really do need a car to get around to all the things like the Volcano National Park, Waterfalls, Beaches, Walmart and Costco, Kona Village, Hilo Village and other locations.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It is a shame that your husband has to stay home with the pets and work. The first thing I would recommend is to not let the pets run your or your husband's life. If he has to continue to work well that is a major concern and hopefully he has a good plan to deal with that and retiirement, but the pets should not be his burden or his responsibiltiy to prevent him from having a great time on the island of Hawaii.

I don't know where you are staying so I can't tell you how walkable your area is. The Waikoloa area is very walkable and if you are stayying at one of the HGVC resorts you can really get around the entire community without a car since they have a free shuttle to shopping and all the resorts. The Big Island is called "BIG Island" because it is big and you really do need a car to get around to all the things like the Volcano National Park, Waterfalls, Beaches, Walmart and Costco, Kona Village, Hilo Village and other locations.
See post 23. She is staying at Paniolo Greens which is in Waikoloa Village.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
… the pets should not be his burden or his responsibiltiy to prevent him from having a great time on the island of Hawaii.

Whoah… there’s a lot to unpack in that entire paragraph.
Pets are like family and spouses do travel independently. Why post a very judgy opinion on something that is absolutely none of your business?!

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Pets are like family and spouses do travel independently. Why post a very judgy opinion on something that is absolutely none of your business?!
I was thinking that myself. What else are you supposed to do with the pets? I suppose one could put them into boarding or have a pet sitter but that is not cheap these days. It is one reason that after our cat died, we opted not to get another pet.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are correct that is my judgement and a focus in my life. Many posts on TUG give personal opinions and this part of the post was that. If you have read some of my other personal preferences then you have noticed that I prefer to NOT rent a car and walk or take public transporation when I vacation and in my personal living situation in Honolulu.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See post 23. She is staying at Paniolo Greens which is in Waikoloa Village.
I don't believe that the Paniolo Green area is very walkable. One certainly needs to rent a car to enjoy the Island of Hawaii to the fullest.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was thinking that myself. What else are you supposed to do with the pets? I suppose one could put them into boarding or have a pet sitter but that is not cheap these days. It is one reason that after our cat died, we opted not to get another pet.
You are correct that having a pet has its costs. One is the challenge of what to do with pets when taking trips. Boarding is a possibilty. A friend or pet sitter is another. Some people do take their pets on trips. We also did not get another pet when our cat died.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Furthermore, I didn't post the PERSONAL INFORMATION and opinions about the husband staying home taking care of the pets, working, and doing other boring things.(Some personal opinions were on this post also). My personal comments and opinions were my reaction to the initial post.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Do not even think about bringing pets to Hawaii.

It is ridiculously complicated. And the airlines can AND DO lose animals. (They lost ours. It took two weeks to get them back. They were sent to Seattle instead of Hawaii. Think lost luggage is a pain? Try lost animals. And they fly air cargo to Hawaii. Not in the cabin. So that means getting to a major airport at the crack of dawn, with your mosquito-netting wrapped pet carrier, and dropping the animals off in the industrial part of the airport.)

Just when I think there's no way for someone to take what should be an easy trip and make it completely and unnecessarily bonkers, someone steps up and does it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't believe that the Paniolo Green area is very walkable. One certainly needs to rent a car to enjoy the Island of Hawaii to the fullest.
We stayed there a couple of times. We would walk to the shopping area where the market, stores and restaurants are. But you certainly need a car to see other parts of the island, no matter where you stay on the Big Island.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Lol
It's my husband's decision. He is the one who thinks our elderly dog deserves one of us around instead of a pet sitter. I wanted to hire a pet sitter and do our normal trips (like we have in the past). He felt obligated to care for her. She's very very old and needs constant care. It's sweet, really. We worked this out months ago and we have been exchanging vacations since. Right now he is by the beach in California having a great time while I'm at home with the pets and our son.

Also, we have often traveled without one another for years, our whole marriage. There are tons of reasons why and it's really not your business.

This trip is basically a girls trip, just me and my mom. My sister is invited but probably can't make it.
My mom has stage 4 lung cancer and is currently up for traveling so we are taking advantage.

We are definitely renting a car. I wouldn't even think of not doing that except in Oahu or if this were a regular trip. This is a first time trip and we want to see as much of the island as we can. She does not want to go all that way and not visit the national park, for example. I did look into renting an electric car or a hybrid but it's complicated on the Big Island. I'm going to stick with easy for now.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I did look into renting an electric car or a hybrid but it's complicated on the Big Island. I'm going to stick with easy for now.
Not a good idea to rent an electric car on any of the islands. A hybrid would be fine, but I'm not sure how many rental companies have those.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Not a good idea to rent an electric car on any of the islands. A hybrid would be fine, but I'm not sure how many rental companies have those.
I agree. Hybrids are fine here but EV's have too many challenges. Most of our neighbors have EVs but they have the ability to charge the vehicle at home. If you have to depend on a working charging station on the island, you may be out of luck. Now that there is a Texaco gas station near the airport is is a simple and quick process to refill the tank before returning to the airport.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
Do not even think about bringing pets to Hawaii.

It is ridiculously complicated. And the airlines can AND DO lose animals. (They lost ours. It took two weeks to get them back. They were sent to Seattle instead of Hawaii. Think lost luggage is a pain? Try lost animals. And they fly air cargo to Hawaii. Not in the cabin. So that means getting to a major airport at the crack of dawn, with your mosquito-netting wrapped pet carrier, and dropping the animals off in the industrial part of the airport.)

Just when I think there's no way for someone to take what should be an easy trip and make it completely and unnecessarily bonkers, someone steps up and does it.
Can’t buy a seat and put them in a pet carrier?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Lol
It's my husband's decision. He is the one who thinks our elderly dog deserves one of us around instead of a pet sitter. I wanted to hire a pet sitter and do our normal trips (like we have in the past). He felt obligated to care for her. She's very very old and needs constant care. It's sweet, really. We worked this out months ago and we have been exchanging vacations since. Right now he is by the beach in California having a great time while I'm at home with the pets and our son.

Also, we have often traveled without one another for years, our whole marriage. There are tons of reasons why and it's really not your business.

This trip is basically a girls trip, just me and my mom. My sister is invited but probably can't make it.
My mom has stage 4 lung cancer and is currently up for traveling so we are taking advantage.

We are definitely renting a car. I wouldn't even think of not doing that except in Oahu or if this were a regular trip. This is a first time trip and we want to see as much of the island as we can. She does not want to go all that way and not visit the national park, for example. I did look into renting an electric car or a hybrid but it's complicated on the Big Island. I'm going to stick with easy for now.

Be careful with her in the Volcano park if she has lung issues. I took the short hike once from the visitor center to the steam vents, it goes through the sulfur vents and it made me sick to my stomach and dizzy. The steam vents aren't as bad but those sulfur pits are toxic.

The other tip was to arrive early and drive to the end of chain of craters road, then work your way back making stops at the view points. The reason is the tour buses arrive mid morning and stop on the way down and you avoid crowded view stops. Volcano House is nice to have lunch when you get back to the top, the macnut crusted fish and chips are my favorite, yum.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
What about the quarantine requirements?
not sure, that’s a valid issue. i wouldn’t want to put them underneath but if someone‘s pet was barking or meowing for the flight it would be a rough 5 hrs.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
When we moved here in 2006, pet quarantine instant release was implemented and we were able to bring our pets in cabin (under seat) with us. At that time we had to go to the Honolulu quarantine with them where the paperwork was checked and verified before taking them on an inter island flight to Big island and home.

It was not a difficult process and now there is a satellite vet in Kona for the instant release that meets the plane.

We have quite a few neighbors who also have homes on the mainland and travel back and forth with their pets. It is not an issue.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lol

I agree that it is none of my business but I didn't bring up the personal stuff; you did. That is such a sweet reply about your husband versus when you said that he was going to stay home with the pets, work, and do other boring things! Also, while I am sure that he would be welcome you now mention that this was a "girl trip".

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Well I have rented an EV. On Oahu. And it went perfectly. Major car rental places offer them on Oahu.
I think the nay-sayers just aren't that familiar with EVs. Gas is crazy expensive in Hawaii so this is a fine option so long as you have the knowledge and confidence to manage it.
Hertz has Teslas and here is a website with the non-traditional (smaller) car rental places that have EVs: https://hawaiiev.org/ev-rentals

Re. Pets: The vast vast vast majority of timeshares do not allow pets.
I have brought my dogs with me to timeshares closer to home but what I did was board them at a nearby facility, not have them stay with me. Then I took them out of the boarding facility daily for hikes. That's hard to find though too because most places want the dogs to stay the whole time, not just nights.
It's much easier to bring pets when traveling by RV.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What I have heard about renting an EV on Maui, and in many other areas, is the difficulty in finding charging locations. There are stories of charging stations not working, or those that do work are being used and it's quite a wait before coming available. I would caution anyone who considers renting one to check out the availability of working charging stations.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What I have heard about renting an EV on Maui, and in many other areas, is the difficulty in finding charging locations. There are stories of charging stations not working, or those that do work are being used and it's quite a wait before coming available. I would caution anyone who considers renting one to check out the availability of working charging stations.

Especially on the Big Island, if OP is going to be doing any sort of long distance driving. Right in Kona town, and up to Waikoloa, probably would be fine. But anywhere south of Kona and all the way to Hilo would give me pause.

(Edit: I just checked the Electrify America app, and it says there are no stations in Kona or Hilo. They must be a different vendor, if EVs are being rented?)

(Second edit: This map shows several on the Big Island. EV charging stations Hawaii)

Dave

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Especially on the Big Island, if OP is going to be doing any sort of long distance driving. Right in Kona town, and up to Waikoloa, probably would be fine. But anywhere south of Kona and all the way to Hilo would give me pause.
Taking the southern route between Kona and Hilo is 125 miles, so if you have a decent EV I don't see an issue with that.

Kurt