• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Better Run Out And Buy Pork

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I've heard that .... won't keep me from eating bacon though :)
I grew up on a farm. Even having a pet pig didn't stop me from eating pork (or any other meat) either. :)

Kurt

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am aware that pigs have intelligence and so do cows and sheep. I don't like the idea of killing an animal for food that when you look into their eyes you can see a connection to their emotion and intelligence. I have no problem eating a fish because I don't feel a connection when I look into their eyes. I need to convince my other half to take the same position as me otherwise cooking for 2 makes it much harder.
I am the same way, just the fish and not as much lately. I will never convince my other half, he is a meat person. It is a miracle he loves the Beyond Beef being it is vegetarian. He has it twice a week.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I grew up on a farm. Even having a pet pig didn't stop me from eating pork (or any other meat) either. :)

Kurt

I didn't grow up on a farm but I spent a lot of time working for my uncle, a dairy farmer who also had a chicken coop. My cousin quit eating eggs when he found out where they came from. When he found out that cake had eggs in it, he quit eating cake.

geekette

Reaction score
I am comfortable with the food chain. Easy to say, standing atop it. I might change my outlook if dinosaurs suddenly show up again or if "my" herd of deer start showing carnivorous habits. So far, we are friends, neither pray nor predator on either side. I hope to not need to look at them as food but at least it would be easy pickin's, once I get really good with bow and arrow.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I didn't grow up on a farm but I spent a lot of time working for my uncle, a dairy farmer who also had a chicken coop. My cousin quit eating eggs when he found out where they came from. When he found out that cake had eggs in it, he quit eating cake.
That reminds me of when my cousins from the "big city" (Fargo, ND) would come for a visit. They wouldn't drink our milk, because it "came from cows -- gross!". I'd ask them where their milk came from -- "the store, of course!" :ROFLMAO:

Kurt

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am comfortable with the food chain. Easy to say, standing atop it. I might change my outlook if dinosaurs suddenly show up again or if "my" herd of deer start showing carnivorous habits. So far, we are friends, neither pray nor predator on either side. I hope to not need to look at them as food but at least it would be easy pickin's, once I get really good with bow and arrow.
My middle kid and hubs go hunting every year since she was 12. She's shot 2 deer in the past few years-I always have a freezer full of deer meat. The year they both got one we had both processed then donated the meat from one. My FiL hunts year round-but pheasants are hard to come by now.
That reminds me of when my cousins from the "big city" (Fargo, ND) would come for a visit. They wouldn't drink our milk, because it "came from cows -- gross!". I'd ask them where their milk came from -- "the store, of course!" :ROFLMAO:

Kurt
Ha-I was born in Minot NoDak and lived there til I was 13-but my dad came from dairy farm in Wisconsin-and we would spend several weeks each summer there (well I would-a dairy farm you need hands working all the time). I learned to be the first one to table so I wasn't stuck with the cream...milk straight from the barn.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Now you are convincing me to not eat chicken again, to join pork, beef and lamb. I may work towards an all seafood diet.

I thought you were a big meat eater because you said you made some big orders from ButcherBox.

BTW, fish have feelings too. I am a scuba diver and fish seem to have ways of interacting with humans that can be very cute. I remember diving many years ago with the now extinct giant grouper in Cozumel. They reminded me of the puppy dogs of the sea.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you were a big meat eater because you said you made some big orders from ButcherBox.

BTW, fish have feelings too. I am a scuba diver and fish seem to have ways of interacting with humans that can be very cute. I remember diving many years ago with the now extinct giant grouper in Cozumel. They reminded me of the puppy dogs of the sea.
My husband is diabetic so his diet is strictly protein and non-root / low carb vegetables. He does not like tofu and soy products so that leaves him not many choices for protein. Most vegetarian diets' protein are grain-based like lentils and beans. Those are very high in carbohydrates. I eat more land farmed meat now because of my husband. My preferred diet has always been seafood-based and soy products. He eats some seafood but he is a beef-pork-chicken eater. Now you tell me that fish have feelings too. :(

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
1587079421351.png

Makes me rethink eating beef...

I saw the videos of the cows licking the cat earlier today on my ElPedroGato FB page. I was fascinated about the cows seemingly showing affection to the cat -- especially the cow at the back who had to push her way in to get into nuzzling position.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not a big pork eater but we did stock up on other meat so we're not caught in another hoarding frenzy. Of course, if everyone did this, we'd already be in a hoarding frenzy! We bought enough for our family - not to fill a freezer. The good news is that we can exist pretty well without meat.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I could exist without meat too. I really do not like beef at all. I only eat pork when it comes in a Hello Fresh dish, otherwise I would not eat it at all. So I hope Hello Fresh does not run out of pork. Before Hello Fresh, we mainly ate chicken. At restaurants, I would order seafood. Hello Fresh has some good seafood dishes too. We are not chefs so Hello Fresh is pretty fancy for us. They have some great vegetarian dishes.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could exist without meat too. I really do not like beef at all. I only eat pork when it comes in a Hello Fresh dish, otherwise I would not eat it at all. So I hope Hello Fresh does not run out of pork. Before Hello Fresh, we mainly ate chicken. At restaurants, I would order seafood. Hello Fresh has some good seafood dishes too. We are not chefs so Hello Fresh is pretty fancy for us. They have some great vegetarian dishes.
Between our dietary restrictions, husband diabetic and me gluten intolerant, and my being a somewhat fancy cook, we have to get ingredients which work for us. No Hello Fresh for us.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coronavirus closed Smithfield and JBS meat packing plants. Many more are at risk. Operators may have to choose worker health or meat in stores.

Who owns Smithfield Foods? :ponder:
Then known as Shuanghui Group, WH Group purchased Smithfield Foods in 2013 for $4.72 billion. It was the largest Chinese acquisition of an American company to date.

Brett

Reaction score
Coronavirus closed Smithfield and JBS meat packing plants. Many more are at risk. Operators may have to choose worker health or meat in stores.

Who owns Smithfield Foods? :ponder:
Then known as Shuanghui Group, WH Group purchased Smithfield Foods in 2013 for $4.72 billion. It was the largest Chinese acquisition of an American company to date.

I used to work for Smithfield Foods in Smithfield, Virginia (long time ago)

From China ---- probably karma or a conspiracy ... or
https://www.pilotonline.com/busines...0200206-xkdjbvdo6jatlmiuscuqnkgeli-story.html

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
OMG that is hilarious!! I once had one get on my roof. She systematically kept hopping to higher perches until she got on the roof. Had to tease her down with meal worm bucket.

Some chickens are actually really smart I agree. Our oldest hen (6 years) was hand raised from hatching by our oldest kid for a biology project-had to stay with her 24/7 for 2 weeks to see if it would imprint on her, then because it was too young to go outside stayed inside in a brooder until feathered out. Not only did that hen imprint on her, she often will sneak in the house if door is open, knows her way up the stairs to the dog food. When our older dog passed away a couple years ago I swear she she looked for him (she liked to nap with him on his bed) and kept going to the spot the dog bed used to be. Now that my oldest has been at college for a few years when she does come home-not only does she come running when she is called-she "punishes" my daughter by first attacking her feet, then ignoring her for awhile, then finally consenting to be held again. She doesn't do this to any of us even when we've been gone for a few weeks. One of my other hens knows exactly where the meal worm bucket is and I've caught her trying to push it off a table if I set it down outside-she knows the lid has to come off and it did accidentally once when she shoved it off the table. They know to go in at night to roost. I did also used to have a Hei-Hei (Moana reference) who was not a smart thing at all-but she was funny! And they do know where they are supposed to be too.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
85% of the beef slaughtering capacity in Canada comes from two very large operations in Alberta. They are home to the 2 larges covid outbreaks in Alberta, and both are closed.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I was thinking about this, while there are some plant shutdowns there is also a lot of pork not being sent and sold through restaurants. So any pork that would normally be used in restaurants should be getting redirected for sale in grocery stores.

Brett

Reaction score
I was thinking about this, while there are some plant shutdowns there is also a lot of pork not being sent and sold through restaurants. So any pork that would normally be used in restaurants should be getting redirected for sale in grocery stores.

that's happening now, the WSJ had an article today how the meat supply chain is being redirected

"Walmart is buying more products ordinarily destined for restaurants, working to help convert plants used for food service to retail, as well as narrowing meat assortment to focus on the fastest-selling items such as basic steak cuts to simplify the supply chain"

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
that's happening now, the WSJ had an article today how the meat supply chain is being redirected

"Walmart is buying more products ordinarily destined for restaurants, working to help convert plants used for food service to retail, as well as narrowing meat assortment to focus on the fastest-selling items such as basic steak cuts to simplify the supply chain"
Our area, or at least a couple hours south, is a big poultry producer. The local chicken processors are having special truck sales. They take a few trucks and use a local church, fire hall, or business like that for labor to sell chicken out of the truck as a drive through. They sell 40 lb cases that are packaged in 10 lb bags. Not consumer based for sure. Last weekend they sold 160,000 lbs at one event in Salisbury. Tomorrow they are having one only an hour away form me. I will be heading down to buy some bulk chicken. It will be interesting as my car has not moved in well over a month. Time for a road trip. I will have to go alone as my wife does not think she could go without using a bathroom for possibly 4 hrs. There were up to 2 hr waits last week. And at the end you do not even get to get on a ride. If any trucker has a secret to how to find a bathroom on the road these days please let me know.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
every time I look at pictures from China, I see hazmat suits. Are they so hard to produce? The meat plants should be at the top of the list in getting those, IMO a better alternative than closing them.

1587736148029.png

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
every time I look at pictures from China, I see hazmat suits. Are they so hard to produce? The meat plants should be at the top of the list in getting those, IMO a better alternative than closing them.

View attachment 19617

Let's put medical workers first of course! They are probably in short supply right now, but I am all for a massive ramp up of production.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A golf course restaurant 15 min drive from where we live has been selling meat products and some other stuff from SYSCO. I am sure SYSCO is losing alot of restaurant business and it is win-win for everyone that SYSCO is selling their stuff through restaurants for curbside pickup and delivery.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I’m not sure there will be a shortage

you take all that restaurant business out of the equation and I think we will have plenty

Farmers in Florida and other southern States are plowing their fields under due to sales

I think Midwest farmers might actually be winners by the time their crops are ready and demand back up