• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Better Run Out And Buy Pork

geekette

Reaction score
Dang. Day after Easter is a great time to buy ham on deep discount. but, no way. I am not getting in the way of crazed carnivores. Of course, they could probably be scared away from the meat case with an out loud thought to self, "Gosh, I wonder if these were packed before the employees were infected?"

If that doesn't work, try, "I'm not sure if cooking it would kill the virus. Not sure I should chance it."

No hoarder here. I'll make the tuna salad I was planning on having today and start beans soaking for soup tomorrow. It will be a long while before I encounter a meat shortage and not terribly concerned about it.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Brett, When I took their plant tour years, years ago. I stop eating some brands of their franks and their bologna lunch meats.

I still loved their cured Smithfield ham for the holidays.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Now there are many articles in the media about running out of meat and food. So there will be a self-fulfilling prophecy as people start to hoard even more.

geekette

Reaction score
Now there are many articles in the media about running out of meat and food. So there will be a self-fulfilling prophecy as people start to hoard even more.
Yes. This is exactly what is going to happen. I give it 3 days before it is headline news showing, empty shelves and upset shoppers. Even better if they can get footage of a cart fully filled with meat.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
CNN says “Growing Concerns about US Food Supply due to Coronavirus.” But they said do not panic!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If they do run out of pork I wouldn't care. I never really liked it. Not even bacon. Ham is ok in a sandwich if there is nothing else.

I never understood why Christians eat ham on Easter. Turkey on Thanksgiving was because of Pilgrims but why ham on Easter ?

One day I was listening to Howard Stern and he revealed the mystery of ham on Easter. Supposedly, after rising from the dead , the first thing Jesus ate was a ham sandwich which started the ham on Easter tradition. When I thought about this I figured that Jesus was a carpenter that hung out with fishermen so he probably had a fish sandwich and not a ham sandwich.

So really, we should all be eating fish for Easter. :)

Bill

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just googled chicken and coronavirus. I did not find anything about a shortage of chicken meat but I learned that people are raising chickens for their eggs. There appears to be a fear of food shortages, between more people planting vegetable gardens and raising chickens.

Ummm I have a garden and backyard chickens :ROFLMAO: In fact the kids went to a hatchery today to get two more chicks. (they called ahead, told them the breed and how many they wanted and the place had them boxed and ready to go). I've kept my neighbors supplied in eggs. Think I am down to ~dozen and half eggs actually in the house right now as I handed out another dozen today. They leave egg cartons on my front door step, then text me they left them there. I fill them and return the carton to them LOL.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's kind of funny. I didn't know that Smithfield was now Chinese owned. No surprise there. They have boatloads of money, and eat a LOT of pork. I don't know of anhy local outlets for Smithfield pork. Back in my commercial driving days, I'd stop at a favorite place or two in Tennesee and buy Country (dry cured) ham to give for holiday gifts. Haven't been there in years, and due to the salt content, Country Ham is off my diet now.

I'm confideent that the meat cases at the local stores will get stripped bare for a time. We'll be fine and if necessary there are local meat processors that can provide cut/wrapped/frozen bundles of locally sourced grass-fed critters. Or it'll give me an excuse to take my fly rod down to a nearby creek and bring home a brace of trout. :)

Jim

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yes. This is exactly what is going to happen. I give it 3 days before it is headline news showing, empty shelves and upset shoppers. Even better if they can get footage of a cart fully filled with meat.
One day and much not available already. I have two pick up orders at groceries this week and now raw Meats out of stock.

geekette

Reaction score
One day and much not available already. I have two pick up orders at groceries this week and now raw Meats out of stock.
Wow. Guess I overestimated the time it takes for info to turn into action.

Eventually we'll all need "grocery cams" so we can see what's in the store we'd go to if we were to leave home. Just to make sure it's worth the trip.

Should we call a milk shortage now or do we need more dumping milk footage?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If they do run out of pork I wouldn't care. I never really liked it. Not even bacon. Ham is ok in a sandwich if there is nothing else.

I never understood why Christians eat ham on Easter. Turkey on Thanksgiving was because of Pilgrims but why ham on Easter ?

One day I was listening to Howard Stern and he revealed the mystery of ham on Easter. Supposedly, after rising from the dead , the first thing Jesus ate was a ham sandwich which started the ham on Easter tradition. When I thought about this I figured that Jesus was a carpenter that hung out with fishermen so he probably had a fish sandwich and not a ham sandwich.

So really, we should all be eating fish for Easter. :)

Bill

I think it's really likely Jesus kept kosher. No ham for him, I suspect.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it's really likely Jesus kept kosher. No ham for him, I suspect.

I think Jesus ate finned fish or sheep. Stern thought he had the ham sandwich, lol.

Does anyone really know why ham is the Easter meat ? I think it is because it was easier than lamb.

Bill

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Dang. Day after Easter is a great time to buy ham on deep discount. but, no way.

it.

lol, I still have corned beef brisket in the freezer from after St Paddys day sale.

We just had a 6lb ham for Easter ($15) and I ended up with 3 lbs frozen, 1 lb in the fridge for omelettes, plus the bone for bean soup. Thats going in the Instapot, no need to soak beans. Only the three of us so will send some over to neighbors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I found one of the more expensive grocery stores in our area still has meat, eggs, and TP. Fortunately we have Costco regular and Business so their bulk buying equates to a good supply.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
DH just got home from his weekly Sam's Club shopping trip. He did stock up on meats, particularly pork due to what could become a shortage in the future.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DH just got home from his weekly Sam's Club shopping trip. He did stock up on meats, particularly pork due to what could become a shortage in the future.

I was wondering what types of pork do people stock up on. Is it mostly ham ?

Bill

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

Bill
I like buying the loin and making pulled pork from it. Quite versatile, nachos, tacos, sandwiches, chili, soup etc.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill
I am not stocking up anymore than I normally am. I don't generally like pork but I do enjoy smoked baby back ribs and spicy Italian sausage. In addition to what I enjoy, husband likes pork chops, ham and breakfast sausage. Whatever we don't use right away, they go into the freezer.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not stocking up anymore than I normally am. I don't generally like pork but I do enjoy smoked baby back ribs and spicy Italian sausage. In addition to what I enjoy, husband likes pork chops, ham and breakfast sausage. Whatever we don't use right away, they go into the freezer.

Ok, I do like baby back ribs. It's been a while. I think the last time we had them was last Labor Day. I didn't have much but the few I had were so good.

Bill