• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best way to get from 3* to 4 *

jimgior

TUG Member
Reaction score
We currently own two 81k annual units and even year 148k unit. What's the best way to get to 4 star from here

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
jim, ... "We currently own two 81k annual units and even year 148k unit. What's the best way to get to 4 star from here"

I assume you know that just owning units with a certain StarOption worth does not mean that they count toward Elite status. The StarOption worth is not counted toward Elite status for non-developer purchases.

If all 3 weeks were purchased from Starwood or if any non-developer purchase has been retroed, you are 3 Star Elite and have 310,100 StarOptions that count every other year. 4 Star Elite requires 359,000 StarOptions that count every year.

You can do this various ways. To best advise you what to do, the posters here need to know exactly what you now own.

But, there is a more fundamental question: are you sure you really want to get to 4 Star Elite? Aside from the cost to buy, the greater your timeshare inventory is, the more expensive it is to maintain and use the weeks you own. It's important not to buy more weeks than you can efficiently use. ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Jim and welcome to TUG - there is very little difference in being 3 Star and being 4 Star. In fact, there isn't enough difference to justify the cost of buying another week from the developer - which you would have to do.

Elite Perks - https://www.mystarcentral.com/elite/chart.html

If however, you want to go all the way to 5 Star, there is more value at that level, because you would get SPG Plat status. To accomplish this, you need at least 649,000 Staroptions.

Here is a discussion of how to reach Elite Status - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138581

Last edited:

jimgior

TUG Member
Reaction score
jim, ... "We currently own two 81k annual units and even year 148k unit. What's the best way to get to 4 star from here"

I assume you know that just owning units with a certain StarOption worth does not mean that they count toward Elite status. The StarOption worth is not counted toward Elite status for non-developer purchases.

If all 3 weeks were purchased from Starwood or if any non-developer purchase has been retroed, you are 3 Star Elite and have 310,100 StarOptions that count every other year. 4 Star Elite requires 359,000 StarOptions that count every year.

You can do this various ways. To best advise you what to do, the posters here need to know exactly what you now own.

But, there is a more fundamental question: are you sure you really want to get to 4 Star Elite? Aside from the cost to buy, the greater your timeshare inventory is, the more expensive it is to maintain and use the weeks you own. It's important not to buy more weeks than you can efficiently use. ... eom

All units were developer purchased. Two 81k units in Florida every year and one every other year in princeville @148 k options.

Question. How does the every other year get calculated? Do the split the amount and count it as 74k?

From what I read in the links do I buy 2 148k units on the open market and then one from the developer and get the other two that I bought on the market upgraded?

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
All units were developer purchased. Two 81k units in Florida every year and one every other year in princeville @148 k options.

Question. How does the every other year get calculated? Do the split the amount and count it as 74k?

From what I read in the links do I buy 2 148k units on the open market and then one from the developer and get the other two that I bought on the market upgraded?

For the EOY they calculate 1/2 StarOptions per year toward elite status. You can usually only retro one resale per developer purchase and there are minimum $$ amount that needs to be spent per transaction. Last I knew it was $20K and a little more if it is a Hawaii property. If you have other non Starwood Timeshare you may be able also negotiate a s,all amount of "phantom" StarOptions as credit toward your Elite Status. (They only are applicable toward Elite Status and you can't actually use them). As always... the disclaimer is that things can change at any time and this information may not still be accurate. You won't know until you talk to Starwood after you have a plan. Good Luck

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
jim, ... EOY StarOptions are allocated 1/2 each year for Elite purposes.

So, right now each year you have 81K + 81K + 74.05K StarOptions that count toward Elite Status - 236.05 StarOptions. You need 359K StarOptions that count every year - or, in round numbers, 123K more StarOptions.

You are at the point where you have to decide whether 4 Star Elite is where you will stop or whether, as DeniseM has posted, you might want to go all the way to 5 Star Elite for the greater benefits.

That is a big decision which depends on the same considerations you need to take into account to get to 4 Star Elite: how many StarOptions you can use each year, how much money you are willing to spend on the acquisition and for annual maintenance and how much you can spend getting to resorts (like WPORV) and using all those weeks. Again, it's important not to buy more weeks than you can efficiently and comfortably use.

I think the cheapest way you can get to 4 Star Elite is by buying a voluntary EY 67,100 Staroption week, then upgrading your EOY at WPORV from an EOY to an EY (not familiar with WPORV pricing; buying a 148,100K EOY at Lagunamar could be cheaper) and, as part of the transaction, retroing the voluntary week you will have purchased. That would leave you with 81K + 81K + 148.1K + 67.1K StarOptions - or 377,200 StarOptions that count toward Elite status each year. You only need 359,000 StarOptions.

That would get you to 4 Star Elite. Getting from where you are to 5 Star Elite would be far more complicated and far more expensive.

But, really, consider doing nothing and enjoying what you already own. Getting to a higher Elite status is expensive and involves a large annual commitment of money and time to maintain and use all the timeshare weeks. ... eom

Last edited:

jimgior

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay. That helps a lot. I think we do want to stop at 4 Star and for us it does pay because we convert a lot to points. I guess now we are looking at do we buy at a location we'd like to use frequently. We like Steamboat Springs, Co. I don't see any EOY for resale in the months we'd like to go. Is it best then to go directly to developer?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will have to pay some more money to Starwood. So buy where you want to go - EOY Steamboat is not often resold. Don't even know if anything is available. But have something to retro all set before you buy from Starwood. ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Okay. That helps a lot. I think we do want to stop at 4 Star and for us it does pay because we convert a lot to points. I guess now we are looking at do we buy at a location we'd like to use frequently. We like Steamboat Springs, Co. I don't see any EOY for resale in the months we'd like to go. Is it best then to go directly to developer?

I strongly suggest that you crunch the numbers. You are going to have to pay thousands of dollars and buy at least 1 more timeshares, and add another yearly maintenance fee, to reach 4 Star Elite. And the only perk with any dollar value is no conversion fee and 10% more Starpoints.

If you take a hard look at the numbers, I bet it isn't a good deal. Look at it this way - how many Starpoints could you just buy with the $20,000+ that you will have to pay to reach the next level?

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right, and if you were to set aside that extra $20k to, instead, enhance your vacations and experiences going forward, would you obtain greater overall bang for your buck than the incremental benefits from pouring the money into another developer purchase?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
And the only perk with any dollar value is no conversion fee and 10% more Starpoints.

While it isn't worth any dollars directly, you also get the ability to wait-list, which I found had a lot of value vs. calling in repeatedly to see if a spot came open.

Not that I'm suggesting that is necesarily worth $20K.

jimgior

TUG Member
Reaction score
jim, ... EOY StarOptions are allocated 1/2 each year for Elite purposes.

I think the cheapest way you can get to 4 Star Elite is by buying a voluntary EY 67,100 Staroption week, then upgrading your EOY at WPORV from an EOY to an EY (not familiar with WPORV pricing; buying a 148,100K EOY at Lagunamar could be cheaper) and, as part of the transaction, retroing the voluntary week you will have purchased. That would leave you with 81K + 81K + 148.1K + 67.1K StarOptions - or 377,200 StarOptions that count toward Elite status each year. You only need 359,000 StarOptions.

That would get you to 4 Star Elite. Getting from where you are to 5 Star Elite would be far more complicated and far more expensive.

eom
Why a voluntary unit vs Mandatory?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why a voluntary unit vs Mandatory?

The mandatory resorts are far more expensive than voluntary resorts, because they have Staroptions even without being requalified, and they are the top Starwood resorts. For instance, a 2 bdm. Plat week at WKV will cost you more than $10,000 on the resale market. It's a much better deal to buy an inexpensive voluntary resort worth 148,100 Staroptions when requalified. After you requalify it, it will have Staroptions and Starpoints, just as if you bought it from the developer - so no need to spend $10K+ on a mandatory resort.

Mandatory Resorts-

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
jim, ... Voluntary resales sell for much less money than mandatory resales. Mandatory resales carry StarOptions with the resale. All that's missing is the StarOptions counting toward Elite status and the ability to convert to Starpoints. If you are going to retro the week anyway, you can get the same number of StarOptions cheaper by buying voluntary. I was trying to give you the cheapest way to get to 4 Star Elite by recommending buying a voluntary resale.

However, if there is a mandatory resort you want to go to almost every year (WKV, WKORV, WSJ [Hillside only], HRA [Phase II only] and SVV [Bella and Key West only]), and if you own there, you can make a "home resort" reservation at 12-8 months and have a much better chance of getting the prime week you want than waiting for leftovers at 8 months from arrival - which you have to do using StarOptions to reserve wherever you don't own. But, buying a mandatory resale is an expensive proposition.

I bought a 148,100 2-br at WKV and 196,900 3-br at HRA, both mandatory resorts, and retroed them in getting to 5 Star Elite. I was looking to have a better shot at getting the 3-br at Harborside for better views and maximum flexibility and the 2-br at WKV for Spring Training. It was expensive to buy resale, but it's what I wanted to do. Many TUG members would not do it my way. ... eom

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If money is falling out your pockets, then do whatever makes younfeel comfortable. If you don't have it like that, then forget allthis elite and retro stuff altogether because it is simply not worth the money, generally speaking.

jimgior

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I buy a mandatory resort - do the options count towards my elite status or do they need to still be retro'd in?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if I buy a mandatory resort - do the options count towards my elite status or do they need to still be retro'd in?

ALL resales must be requalified with another developer purchase - that's what makes it so expensive. I believe the minimum developer purchase must be $20K.

My suggestions is that you take your time and do a lot of research before you buy anything. There are a lot of factors to consider.

Last edited:

jimgior

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are platinum weeks the only week types that can be retro'd?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Are platinum weeks the only week types that can be retro'd?

No, but they offer the most benefit for retro'ng. Considering the cost of the resale week it's much better to get a full 148k SO with a retro than less. Even if you own an existing week, considering that you need to pay at least $20,000 to retro a week, in my opinion it would be more advantageous to buy another week that, when retro'd, will be worth 148k SO and then give away/sell your existing week.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You pay the same maintenance fee for all seasons at (most) resorts, so it makes sense to buy a resale to requalify during the prime season, which has the most Staroptions. Off-season weeks have far fewer Staroptions - for the same yearly MF.

jimgior

TUG Member
Reaction score
5*

So if I understand all this. Currently I have 236k options.

If I buy a resale 148,100 unit and a developer 148,100 unit and retro my resale that will bring me 532,000 options and I can petition for 30k fantom options and be at 5 star?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
jim, ... I wouldn't count on getting any "phantom" StarOptions. SDKath's post was written in May of 2008. I can't remember a TUG post about "phantom" StarOptions being awarded since then.

As I said, from your present position, getting to 5 Star Elite would be far more complicated and far more expensive. If you have to scrimp by begging for 30K free "phantom" StarOptions, you probably should not be considering trying for 5 Star Elite. 5 Star Elite is expensive to maintain once achieved.

If you can actually afford it, you can get there by buying and retroing a resale 3-br Platinum at Harborside or WSJ. They have 196,900 StarOptions in prime season (an extra 48,800 StarOptions). However, they are rarely available on eBay, are expensive when they are, visiting these island resorts is costly and the annual MF can be quite prohibitive - around $3K. ... eom

pathways25

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I understand all this. Currently I have 236k options.

If I buy a resale 148,100 unit and a developer 148,100 unit and retro my resale that will bring me 532,000 options and I can petition for 30k fantom options and be at 5 star?

Actually, the threshold for 5* was raised to 649,000 so you're still another 120K short...

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
pathways, ... Absolutely correct. Of course, its 649,000 StarOptions for 5 Star Elite. I should have caught that. However, jim was directed in post #3 to consult an out-of-date post on getting to 5 Star Elite. That post says:

"6) A little known secret is that if you are close to getting 5*, you can have “phantom” SOs for free. Up to 30,000 SOs will be given to you to get you to your goal. Many people are just short of 559,000 SOs so this is a nice little deal to know about!"

I was more concerned with letting jim know that he should not act in reliance on getting "phantom" StarOptions and didn't redo the math. Thank you. ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's listed correctly at the very top of the "out-of-date" post in bold letters. I have no plans to go back and edit every single mention in the whole thread. :rolleyes:

3 Star Elite = Interval ownership equivalent to at least 159,000 StarOptions

4 Star Elite = Interval ownership equivalent to at least 359,000 StarOptions

5 Star Elite = Interval ownership equivalent to at least 649,000 StarOptions

Last edited: