• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best way to get from 3* to 4 *

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
As Moderator, the "cure" to erroneous information contained in your linked post is rather simple. You can (should as part of your duties?) alter featured posts in TUG stickys as circumstances change.

Please change the post you refer newbies to so that it doesn't contain out-of-date and erroneous information about getting to 5 Star Elite. That, or don't link it or just remove it from the Starwood sticky until it is changed. ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
As Moderator, the "cure" to erroneous information contained in your linked post is rather simple. You can (should as part of your duties?) alter featured posts in TUG stickys as circumstances change.

Please change the post you refer newbies to so that it doesn't contain out-of-date and erroneous information about getting to 5 Star Elite. That, or don't link it or just remove it from the Starwood sticky until it is changed. ... eom

I have no idea what you are talking about - I corrected it as soon as the new info. came out, and it's posted in bold at the top of the first post in the thread. I have no intention of going back and correcting every occurance in the whole thread.

3 Star Elite = Interval ownership equivalent to at least 159,000 StarOptions

4 Star Elite = Interval ownership equivalent to at least 359,000 StarOptions

5 Star Elite = Interval ownership equivalent to at least 649,000 StarOptions

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I have no plans to go back and edit every single mention in the whole thread."

So, if it's out of date, why keep it linked in the sticky? Why link it for newbies?

How about only changing the main post (Post 1) that you linked and which jim undoubtedly read that says:

""6) A little known secret is that if you are close to getting 5*, you can have “phantom” SOs for free. Up to 30,000 SOs will be given to you to get you to your goal. Many people are just short of 559,000 SOs so this is a nice little deal to know about!"

2 problems with paragraph 6: Nobody's posted about getting free "phantom" SO for years (maybe the little known secret is you can't get free "phantom" SO) and 559,000 SOs don't cut it.

You have no idea what I am talking about and I don't understand what you think a Moderator's duties are. I've been (and am now) an Internet moderator and I have always thought the duties included fostering accurate information, not perpetuating erroneous information. ... eom

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody's posted about getting free "phantom" SO for years (maybe the little known secret is you can't get free "phantom" SO)

When we went to 5 Star a year ago, we asked about the "phantom" SOs, and were told there was no such thing. So, we had to make sure that the units we purchased resale for requalification were sufficient to push us over the 649,000 SOs threshold.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm crushed that I don't live up to your moderator standards. :hysterical:

Seriously - everyone here is a volunteer - instead of whining about it - why don't your rewrite the article???

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"why don't your rewrite the article???"

Simple. I'm not the Moderator here. ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"why don't your rewrite the article???"

Simple. I'm not the Moderator here. ... eom

Only a fraction of the articles on TUG were written by the volunteer Mods. Most articles, including the one we are discussing, were written by members with expertise in a particular area.

So - if you'd like to update the article - that would be great. But if you just want to gripe, per forum rules, please send your complaint to TUG Owner, Brian Rogers. I'm sure he'd LOVE to hear from you, again! :D

pathways25

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we went to 5 Star a year ago, we asked about the "phantom" SOs, and were told there was no such thing. So, we had to make sure that the units we purchased resale for requalification were sufficient to push us over the 649,000 SOs threshold.

Interesting. When I did my last retro in December, one of the forms we signed was titled "SVN Elite Qualification Credits Form". The text says:

"In order to qualify for SVN Elite status, I am being allowed credit ("qualification credit(s)") as described below toward SVN Elite enrollment. I understand that these qualification credits are not StarOptions or Starpoints and have no value within the Starwood Vacation Network ("SVN"), the Starwood Preferred Guest ("SPG") Program or otherwise and are for qualification purposes only."

Below is a section where it says you will be granted additional SVN Elite qualification credits (a.k.a. "phantom SO's", I presume) for non-SVO weeks that you own that are enrolled in RCI or II, in combination with your new purchase.

I never tried bargaining for phantom SO's. I wonder how many they might give out if you're close to a threshold.

jimgior

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies - didn't mean to stir up an argument, just trying to understand the process. Being that 5* is now much higher I think I'll stick to my original plan and shoot for 4*.

With 5 kid and 3 grandchildren (so far) I have no problem booking or banking vacations and 4* will suite our needs just well.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the replies - didn't mean to stir up an argument, just trying to understand the process. Being that 5* is now much higher I think I'll stick to my original plan and shoot for 4*.

With 5 kid and 3 grandchildren (so far) I have no problem booking or banking vacations and 4* will suite our needs just well.

Hi jimgior - The previous discussion was not your fault, nor was it directed at you. Please continue to ask all the questions you like.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just sent it, FWIW (probably not much).

Thanks Jim! I get a giggle out of it every time you report one of my posts! :p

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jarta is one spicy chap, with his Four Seasons and 5* Elite and whatnot. I can't stand these rich MFs. I'm talking maintenance fees. Maintenance fees! :rolleyes:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Hi jimgior - Don't worry about the arguments - it comes with having multiple types of people on TUG with different priorities and perspectives (the 'spicy' type - and others that would say that description is too kind...). :D
Why do you say 4* will fit your needs? What does 4* offer (value-wise) that cannot be attained with 3* (or no elite status at all)?
waitlisting?
You have to ask yourself is any elite level worth the cost - both in current and future vacation dollars.

Last edited:

cfnobis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, WLR, ROYAL SEACLIFF
So if I am to understand this correctly, one can purchase resale at a voluntary resort and get it requalified in order to be able to use the SVN (StarOptions) and Starpoints. How does one go about doing this?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if I am to understand this correctly, one can purchase resale at a voluntary resort and get it requalified in order to be able to use the SVN (StarOptions) and Starpoints. How does one go about doing this?

To requalify the resale, you have to buy another TS from the developer for $20,000 or more.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

You also need to have this requal as part of the condition of sale when buying the resort week from SVO (in writing). It helps to have a salesperson or office that is familiar with the procedure. Most probably are by now, but when I did this it was not as common, and I had to inform my salesperson that this was possible.

Also - you can requal a mandatory resort as well, but since SOs already come with M resorts it is not as valuable as retroing a V resort.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. When I did my last retro in December, one of the forms we signed was titled "SVN Elite Qualification Credits Form". The text says:

"In order to qualify for SVN Elite status, I am being allowed credit ("qualification credit(s)") as described below toward SVN Elite enrollment. I understand that these qualification credits are not StarOptions or Starpoints and have no value within the Starwood Vacation Network ("SVN"), the Starwood Preferred Guest ("SPG") Program or otherwise and are for qualification purposes only."

Below is a section where it says you will be granted additional SVN Elite qualification credits (a.k.a. "phantom SO's", I presume) for non-SVO weeks that you own that are enrolled in RCI or II, in combination with your new purchase.

I never tried bargaining for phantom SO's. I wonder how many they might give out if you're close to a threshold.

I seem to recall something about "do you own any TS other than SVO, we'll give you some credit for those towards elite qualification". That sounds like what you see at the bottom of that form. I'd have to go back and look through my emails, etc, from our last batch of purchases, but not sure if it's worth the effort.

We ended up at 685,000+ SOs with the particular resale units we bought and requalified, so we blew past the threshold anyways. I didn't really follow-up much more on the topic after that.

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
jim, ... I wouldn't count on getting any "phantom" StarOptions. SDKath's post was written in May of 2008. I can't remember a TUG post about "phantom" StarOptions being awarded since then.

As I said, from your present position, getting to 5 Star Elite would be far more complicated and far more expensive. If you have to scrimp by begging for 30K free "phantom" StarOptions, you probably should not be considering trying for 5 Star Elite. 5 Star Elite is expensive to maintain once achieved.

I "scrimped" my way to 4* with the help of 30,000 "Phantom" StarOptions in July 2011 on a small upgrade through Starwood. ;). Thanks for the tip SDKath

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You also need to have this requal as part of the condition of sale when buying the resort week from SVO (in writing). It helps to have a salesperson or office that is familiar with the procedure. Most probably are by now, but when I did this it was not as common, and I had to inform my salesperson that this was possible.

Also - you can requal a mandatory resort as well, but since SOs already come with M resorts it is not as valuable as retroing a V resort.
The salesperson I had at WMH started by saying...gee I don't know if we still allow retro anymore. Then when she came back with... My manager said we will let this one go thru she made it sound like they don't usually do this to make the buyer want to get locked in right away. Just a little sales trick.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have deleted 4 posts - let's stay on topic folks, and give the new guy a break. He isn't used to the "humor" around here.

jimgior - In the "jokers" defense - you do seem to be ignoring the sage advice provided by experienced owners. No one here has recommended paying $20K+ to reach 4 Star. It just isn't a good value.

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
jimgior, ... As you can see, innaccurate information is readily tolerated on this forum (other TUG forums are not like this one) which, when pointed out, results in a refusal to change the inaccuracies and subjects the poster pointing out the inaccuracies to personal attacks which are dismissed as "humor." It makes it harder for anyone, especially newbies, to separate the wheat from the chaff. But, GLTY, don't believe everything you read on the Internet without asking questions and please don't overbuy timeshares to get to Starwood Elite status.

To get any "phantom" Staroptions you don't just ask for them and they are granted for free. They are only allowed as a small credit for Starwood Elite due to multiple ownership if the small credit to attain Elite status is perceived by Starwood to woo you away from adding to a timeshare you already own at another branded timeshare system that is in competition with Starwood for your money spent on multiple ownerships to attain their higher status (like Marriott, Disney or Hilton). Since the other timeshare(s) must be owned at the time the Starwood Elite status is "padded," the "phantom" timeshares are certainly not free of cost. They are a marketing tool credit against costs already incurred with a Starwood competitor. ... eom

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
To get any "phantom" Staroptions you don't just ask for them and they are granted for free. They are only allowed as a small credit for Starwood Elite due to multiple ownership if the small credit to attain Elite status is perceived by Starwood to woo you away from adding to a timeshare you already own at another branded timeshare system that is in competition with Starwood for your money spent on multiple ownerships to attain their higher status (like Marriott, Disney or Hilton). Since the other timeshare(s) must be owned at the time the Starwood Elite status is "padded," the "phantom" timeshares are certainly not free of cost. They are a marketing tool credit against costs already incurred with a Starwood competitor. ... eom

I agree with Jarta on this explanation and it is accurate on how we received the "phantom" options on our upgrade on our path to 4*. I also admit that all of my StarOptions were acquired through Developer purchases and I was NOT retro'ing a resale but upgrading an EOY to an Annual.

J&JFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay. That helps a lot. I think we do want to stop at 4 Star and for us it does pay because we convert a lot to points. I guess now we are looking at do we buy at a location we'd like to use frequently. We like Steamboat Springs, Co. I don't see any EOY for resale in the months we'd like to go. Is it best then to go directly to developer?

Hi jimgior, I saw that your thread has gone in all different directions, but I can address this very specific question. I too have been interested in buying at the Sheraton Steamboat (or the Westin Riverfront), however, you are NOT very likely to find them for sale unless you're willing to meet an absurdly ridiculous asking price. In particular, I would like to buy during ski season at one of these two resorts. At Westin Riverfront there are a few December weeks for sale for over $40,000 :eek: I also found a week 1 for over $50,000. How about this one: a Sheraton Steamboat week 7 for over $60,000! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have contacted Starwood directly and they have no inventory for ski weeks at either of these two resorts. Atlhough most on TUG believe that one should never buy a timeshare directly from the developer (which I agree with), the ONLY exception that I can think of would be something very specific that cannot be purchased for a lesser price through resale, and a prime ski week at a top notch resort like the Westin Riverfront or Sheraton Steamboat, might fall into this category.

So, if you have your heart set on a ski week at one of those resorts, study it carefully before considering spending a great deal of $. Best of luck!

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM, ... "I have no idea what you are talking about - I corrected it as soon as the new info. came out, and it's posted in bold at the top of the first post in the thread. I have no intention of going back and correcting every occurance in the whole thread."

Thank you for adding this disclaimer to the SDKath post on how to get to 5 Star Elite (in red and bolded):

(Please note that the Staroptions required for Elite status changed after the original article was written, and the numbers below are current as of March 13, 2012. When other numbers are mentioned in the text, please refer to the numbers directly below this statement. If they change again, I will promptly update the figures below, to minimize confusion. DeniseM Moderator]

Salty.