• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Way to Avoid Salespeople

tigergdav97

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Resorts
Just checked into a Wyndham for the weekend and they’ve already started about “coming to breakfast.” I’m sure they will call or come knocking before it’s over. How do we avoid these people? If we say “no” do they have to honor this? I’ve found most don’t take “no” for an answer.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Just checked into a Wyndham for the weekend and they’ve already started about “coming to breakfast.” I’m sure they will call or come knocking before it’s over. How do we avoid these people? If we say “no” do they have to honor this? I’ve found most don’t take “no” for an answer.
Don’t stop saying NO. They can’t force you to attend and if you say it with meaning and show you have no intention whatsoever of attending, they give up after 2 or 3 tries. At least, that has been my experience for the past couple years.

tigergdav97

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Resorts
At a trip we took earlier this summer they came into our room and would not leave until we came to the office with them. Literally would not leave.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
"No Thank You' works pretty well- unless you've gotten some bargain deal contingent on attending a presentation. But you can always tell them you have another appointment for a tour at another TS, a funeral, Prayer time at the mosque, Your spouse or kids are under quarantine for the Plague or Ebola.

One of my favorites is wearing my TUG, "I paid more for this T-Shirt than for my timeshare" shirt.

Be creative.

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Just tell them that the person you are traveling with is not your spouse ;)

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
At a trip we took earlier this summer they came into our room and would not leave until we came to the office with them. Literally would not leave.

How did they get into your room? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigergdav97

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Resorts
They offered a “gift” and my mom let them in. It was all over from there.

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
They offered a “gift” and my mom let them in. It was all over from there.

Oh boy. Yep, never let them in. I’m sure your Mom won’t do that again.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
NO. always say NO.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cool. Then YOU leave.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Just tell them that the person you are traveling with is not your spouse ;)

It doesn't matter. They still push you to come. Happened to me on multiple occassions.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Unplug your phone, and then maybe put up a sign in case they come knocking?

upload_2019-8-8_21-36-12.png

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
It doesn't matter. They still push you to come. Happened to me on multiple occassions.
I didn't think that they could sell anything to half of a married couple.

I've told this story before; my husband and two of his friends, one male and one female, went to Las Vegas for a basketball tournament. I had booked a week at one of the Wyndhams near the Thomas & Mack Arena and of course as soon as he checked in they tried to get him to go to a update. At this point it was just he and the woman so he grinned at the guy and said sorry this isn't my wife. Just then the other guy walked up so the salesman said "well how about if the two of them come to the update?" My husband looked at the two of them and then back at the salesman, and said they're not married either. <<big grin>> The salesman was honestly speechless. My husband knew exactly what was up, and he knew what he was doing. And he still laughs about this.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not everyone can pull this off, but being senior people (and it shows) I just tell them that at this point in my timeshare life I'm in the liquidation phase, not the acquisition phase. How many of mine do you want? They walk away.

Jim

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Just curious if this problem is more common at Wyndham than other timeshares?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious if this problem is more common at Wyndham than other timeshares?
Same as DRI and Wastegate. They all play games to generate bodies for their presentations. Predatory vultures. Different tactics- parking passes- breakfast- discounted tickets, gift cards, 'free' points. Whatever it takes to generate warm bodies for the sales staff.

Jim

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Same as DRI and Wastegate. They all play games to generate bodies for their presentations. Predatory vultures. Different tactics- parking passes- breakfast- discounted tickets, gift cards, 'free' points. Whatever it takes to generate warm bodies for the sales staff.

Jim

My TS experience is only as a renter so far but I didn't feel the sales pressure at Sheraton Mountain Vista, Marriott Mountainside and Marriott Timber Lodge, HGVC Grand Pacific. I will have my first WM stay next April and I'm bracing myself for the pressure.

Can you just agree to the presentation and not show up and lose the small deposit? I'm sure they have thought about how to tackle that.. situation as well.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you just agree to the presentation and not show up and lose the small deposit? I'm sure they have thought about how to tackle that.. situation as well.
Dunno. I've never signed up for one that required a deposit. Back in the day, I'd arm myself with printouts of eBay resale ads for THEIR resort, and if the BS got too thick, I'd just pull them out and say, "Match it." That never failed to shut 'em down. Generally, though you can just say, "No thanks" and pass on the presentation, pick up your parking pass, head out to gifting, and be done.

Jim

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
At one resort I visited they were so persistent that I agreed to attend just to get out of there. When the woman asked for a deposit, I laughed out loud and said "You're kidding, right?" She was not... I politely declined, asked for my stuff and walked away still laughing.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

Jim

I keep telling people it’s not exclusive to Wyndham. Good to here the same from someone else.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
My TS experience is only as a renter so far but I didn't feel the sales pressure at Sheraton Mountain Vista, Marriott Mountainside and Marriott Timber Lodge, HGVC Grand Pacific. I will have my first WM stay next April and I'm bracing myself for the pressure.

I’ve heard some get out of leaving a deposit because they refused to leave one. You could bail. If you do not intend to buy, what’s the point of showing up? You’d only be agreeing to go, because the parking pass people are relentless. Just make sure you unplug the phone and don’t answer the door. They will come looking for you.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Where did you purchased that sign. I loved it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I found the picture on the internet. There are sites like Zazzle that will allow you to customize stuff. Wouldn’t be hard to get a sign that you can take with you on all your trips.