• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best way into MVC

highflying

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week I signed up for 3500 points in MVC destinations. I am sold on the benefit to my family since we have a lot of flexibility in our schedule. Knowing I have a 10 day rescission period I have been doing a lot of reading to determine if I am going about ownership the right way. So my general question is, is there a more inexpensive way to gain access to MVC destinations ownership in the resale market? More specifically, can one buy a deeded legacy week and convert to points to get the same benefit? I saw a statement saying that deeded weeks had to be converted back in 2010, but then I saw a resale listing suggesting the deeded week could be converted to MVC points. If there isn't a better way in, I take it that renting points each year is a reasonable way to increase point totals vs buying more from Marriott? Thanks in advance for the help!

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Rescind immediately...at least until you've had a chance to weigh all your options other than buying very expensive DC points.

Resale Marriotts on eBay could save you a ton of money...a Manor Club platinum week just sold last week for $11.50 on ebay. On the other hand you can't join the new DC plan with resales...at least at this moment. So you need to decide on what's important for you for vacations and that will take time using TUG as your TS University.

Right now...rescind...you can always buy later if your research indicates that's the best route. Compared to what you paid for the DC points they are virtually worthless if you choose to sell them.

Enjoy TUG...and be glad you found it early enough.

Brian

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week I signed up for 3500 points in MVC destinations. I am sold on the benefit to my family since we have a lot of flexibility in our schedule. Knowing I have a 10 day rescission period I have been doing a lot of reading to determine if I am going about ownership the right way. So my general question is, is there a more inexpensive way to gain access to MVC destinations ownership in the resale market? More specifically, can one buy a deeded legacy week and convert to points to get the same benefit? I saw a statement saying that deeded weeks had to be converted back in 2010, but then I saw a resale listing suggesting the deeded week could be converted to MVC points. If there isn't a better way in, I take it that renting points each year is a reasonable way to increase point totals vs buying more from Marriott? Thanks in advance for the help!

Although your post title seems declarative, your inquires seem to more clearly express doubt that buying points direct from Marriott sales is the best way! :ponder:
Everyone's travel needs are different so no fault if their price suits your budget and desires. But you are correct about 2010 as it pertains to legacy owners. Enrolling weeks owners in the points program was under certain conditions, essentially allowed for a conversion as if resale owners bought from Marriott, and that is now not possible for unenrolled weeks (formerly MVCI) owners.
You likely invested a small fortune, close to $10. per point I suspect, to have the priviledge, is that correct? I would be reluctant to invest over $30k for access to the points system.
Although Marriott offers a great product, it comes with a steep price when purchasing direct from developer. You might have chosen to rent some of the properties you were interested in visiting or strongly consider buying a legacy weeks, ineligible for enrollment, but certainly able to deposit into Interval Intl. for future full week exchange with other like owners. There is a great deal of information here on TUG and in the Marriott sticky forum. Good luck with whatever u decide.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
MVC really closed the door to allow a pure resale buyer to get access to the system. I suspect they studied all the other systems and made this lack of access intentional.

Least expensive way to get into the system (and I'm not advocating this) would be to buy the smallest package possible (1,000 points? 1,500 points?) and then rent the additional points that you need.

Other alternatives would be to buy a true resale week from a broker/off eBay, for a 7 day reservation (or two 7 day reservations if you choose a trading strategy) and then rent stub reservations from an existing points owner.

This is possible as well -- but I agree with the other advice that rescinding now, and then taking a little time to assess all the options likely makes sense in the long wrong. You can always buy back in to your 3,500 point package if you decide.

There is a lot to like about the point system -- it's very user friendly and Marriott has fabulous properties. You're not subject to skimming, so you don't have that irritation, and it is now just a question of how to get the best access to the system.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Yes rescind immediately. Buying points from the developer at full retail prices is probably the worst way to get into MVC. Much more economical ways without having to dish out a fortune!

highflying

TUG Member
Reaction score
Convinced

Thank you for all of the replies. I have been convinced. My rescission notice will go out today. Any gotchas on that? My documents just say to send written notice to a designated PO Box. I will send certified mail.

iluvfla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask at the post office, if you can send registered mail to a PO BOX, registered mail needs a signature of receipient, not sure how works with PO BOXES....

highflying

TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC really closed the door to allow a pure resale buyer to get access to the system. I suspect they studied all the other systems and made this lack of access intentional.

Least expensive way to get into the system (and I'm not advocating this) would be to buy the smallest package possible (1,000 points? 1,500 points?) and then rent the additional points that you need.

Other alternatives would be to buy a true resale week from a broker/off eBay, for a 7 day reservation (or two 7 day reservations if you choose a trading strategy) and then rent stub reservations from an existing points owner.

This is possible as well -- but I agree with the other advice that rescinding now, and then taking a little time to assess all the options likely makes sense in the long wrong. You can always buy back in to your 3,500 point package if you decide.

There is a lot to like about the point system -- it's very user friendly and Marriott has fabulous properties. You're not subject to skimming, so you don't have that irritation, and it is now just a question of how to get the best access to the system.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

How do you compare something like this ebay listing?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Although your post title seems declarative, your inquires seem to more clearly express doubt that buying points direct from Marriott sales is the best way! :ponder:
Everyone's travel needs are different so no fault if their price suits your budget and desires. But you are correct about 2010 as it pertains to legacy owners. Enrolling weeks owners in the points program was under certain conditions, essentially allowed for a conversion as if resale owners bought from Marriott, and that is now not possible for unenrolled weeks (formerly MVCI) owners.
You likely invested a small fortune, close to $10. per point I suspect, to have the priviledge, is that correct? I would be reluctant to invest over $30k for access to the points system.
Although Marriott offers a great product, it comes with a steep price when purchasing direct from developer. You might have chosen to rent some of the properties you were interested in visiting or strongly consider buying a legacy weeks, ineligible for enrollment, but certainly able to deposit into Interval Intl. for future full week exchange with other like owners. There is a great deal of information here on TUG and in the Marriott sticky forum. Good luck with whatever u decide.

I think this is sound advice for many but today there is a big segment of vacationers who take alot of vacations less tah 7 days and that is why a points program especially like Marriott's with all these great locations is so appealing.

If you're one of those then a resale week won't work for your lifestyle and I would probably say to rent points and take vacations that way because the upfront cost to get into the DC is steep as pointed out.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resale Marriotts on eBay could save you a ton of money...a Manor Club platinum week just sold last week for $11.50 on ebay. Brian

What would the MF be on this resort/various weeks?

Pat

Bnov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option is to buy a resale week from Marriott + a points package. This is the only other way I'm aware of that you can get into the points system apart from buying a pure trust points package.

The advantage of this approach vs. pure trust points—you will typically have a lower maintenance fee with points from an enrolled week than you will with the equivalent number of trust points. GregT has a resource (it may be somewhat out-of-date now) that lists the MF per enrolled point for many of the Marriott weeks at the various resorts. Of course, you will pay a premium for a resale week from Marriott vs. a third-party resale like eBay or Redweek. If you're really committed to the points system, look into this option.

I'm not sure what Marriott requires now as far as a points package when you want to enroll a week from their resale department. (You may be required to buy as many trust points as the number of points your enrolled week will yield, but I'm not positive on that.) You can get more info via their resale website: https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales/buy-weeks.shtml

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I think this is sound advice for many but today there is a big segment of vacationers who take alot of vacations less tah 7 days and that is why a points program especially like Marriott's with all these great locations is so appealing.

If you're one of those then a resale week won't work for your lifestyle and I would probably say to rent points and take vacations that way because the upfront cost to get into the DC is steep as pointed out.

With how cheap it is to buy a resale week, it probably doesn't really matter if you stay less than a week unless you are looking for 3 days or less. Many times the amount of points to rent vs exchanging in for a week does not make sense. Not all, but most can be exchanged into for about $700 a week. I would rather get two weeks and stay 10-11 days for $1400 than have to use points which at most resorts will cost you a lot more than $700 per week/$100 per day.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
How do you compare something like this ebay listing?

It is an interesting data point to see this eBay auction, but I don't think at this point that the resale auctions are successfully closing.

If recent auctions are any indication, this will close for $3-$4/point, and then I suspect Marriott will exercise ROFR and buy it back. We have little history to go by, and are aware of only one point resale (and it was ROFR'd).

We do not have any history of resales that actually went through (at least I don't think we do?)

But for someone who definitely wants Trust Points, it certainly could be worth it to bid up to $X/point (expecting to also pay the $2,000 transfer fee) and then hope to clear ROFR. Perhaps bidding up to $4/point (so it's $6/point after the xfer fee) might be a viable strategy? I believe the one ROFR was at $3/point.

In any event, please do let us know how you proceed!

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GregT has a resource (it may be somewhat out-of-date now) that lists the MF per enrolled point for many of the Marriott weeks at the various resorts.

It is indeed a little dated -- it uses 2011 MFs -- it's referenced below my signature line as the Points Spreadsheet link -- and then it is down a little ways as "Point Values".

Thanks!

Greg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It is an interesting data point to see this eBay auction, but I don't think at this point that the resale auctions are successfully closing.

If recent auctions are any indication, this will close for $3-$4/point, and then I suspect Marriott will exercise ROFR and buy it back. We have little history to go by, and are aware of only one point resale (and it was ROFR'd).

We do not have any history of resales that actually went through (at least I don't think we do?)

But for someone who definitely wants Trust Points, it certainly could be worth it to bid up to $X/point (expecting to also pay the $2,000 transfer fee) and then hope to clear ROFR. Perhaps bidding up to $4/point (so it's $6/point after the xfer fee) might be a viable strategy? I believe the one ROFR was at $3/point.

In any event, please do let us know how you proceed!

Best,

Greg

TUGger NightSkyTraveler is an owner of external-resale DC Points. S/he recently posted to this thread.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask at the post office, if you can send registered mail to a PO BOX, registered mail needs a signature of receipient, not sure how works with PO BOXES....

Yes, you can receive registered mail at a PO Box. You sign when you pick it up.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TUGger NightSkyTraveler is an owner of external-resale DC Points. S/he recently posted to this thread.

Sue, thank you for pointing that out -- do we know what the purchase price was that cleared ROFR? I'm curious now, that's very interesting.

Thanks again!

Greg

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
What would the MF be on this resort/various weeks?

Pat

MF rates are going up fast across the board. Manor Club is now just over $1000 a week, but used to be about the lowest in the system. I think Marrott will raise sold out resort MF to the point MF on points is the same as weeks. Another example is BeachPlace which went up 8% for 2013 and Marriott has announced they'll be up 5% a year for the next 3 years...way higher than cost of living.

Brian

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Sue, thank you for pointing that out -- do we know what the purchase price was that cleared ROFR? I'm curious now, that's very interesting.

Thanks again!

Greg

No details yet about the number of Points or the purchase price, but s/he's responded in that thread to a few questions from TUGgers about the resale process. Interesting for sure!

NightSkyTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks again!

Greg
It was 2000 points. The purchase was $9000. After fees, just south of $12k. I believe that was the price they sent for ROFR.

GregS

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was 2000 points. The purchase was $9000. After fees, just south of $12k. I believe that was the price they sent for ROFR.

GregS

That's terrific, thanks very much! And that's a good price...

Best,

Greg