• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bare Minerals Try It Kit

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Starting Sunday, September 28th, for two weeks, ULTA will have a 4 piece Bare Minerals introductory kit for $15. Its definitely "try it" sized, with the makeup vials half the size of the normal starter kit (which retails for about $45.). Still, it is a good way to try it inexpensively, and would be a good travel kit. The kit includes:
  • 2 bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundations (.03 oz. each)
  • Mineral Veil (.03 oz.)
  • Mini Baby Buki Brush
They also have Vitabath buy 2 get one free, which is a huge sale for that item.

Guess where I am going on Sunday?

Fern

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. DD went there to redeem a b'day gift card, and I spent my time getting powdered with Bare Minerals. I was amazed at how it evened my skin tone but I didn't feel or look like I was wearing a bunch of makeup. Since I almost never wear makeup, I'll bet the $15 kit will last me a long time!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can you order it online? (Actually, I don't know what ULTA is! :eek: )

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
ULTA is a cosmetics store - everything from the usual drugstore brands up to high-end expensive stuff. I didn't know it existed till DD got a gift card for her b'day.

They have good sales. We recently got some sample kits, with good assortments of small-size products in cute little zippered or snap bags, for well under $10. DD uses them rather than the more expensive full-size products. I've suggested that she get some for presents for her friends.

And yes, they have a web site - though I don't think it has everything that is in the store, plus you can't sample from the web.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Denise,
I know they are in Northern California, mainly in/near Sacramento/Elk Grove/Rosedale. I don't know if any of that is near you, but check out this page for California locations: http://xrl.in/g95

Fern

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm a redhead with sensitive, blotchy skin. You know, with red blotches. Bare Minerals makes my skin all look smooth and one (natural) color. It is easy to put on, too. I want a bit of coverage, so I use the Kabuki brush. It takes me no more than two minutes to put on the foundation and mineral veil, which go on separately.

They also sell brushes. They are costly, no doubt about it. However they last forever (mine are over two years old) and hold their shape. Periodically I clean them with a bit of baby shampoo and water, that's all.

Fern

Thanks. DD went there to redeem a b'day gift card, and I spent my time getting powdered with Bare Minerals. I was amazed at how it evened my skin tone but I didn't feel or look like I was wearing a bunch of makeup. Since I almost never wear makeup, I'll bet the $15 kit will last me a long time!

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
My daughter uses Bare Minerals and always seems to leave a fine coating of powder throughout the bathroom - even on the bathtub several feet away from where she's applying the make up - and on the ceiling near the vent. Except on the ceiling, it's barely visible until you wipe the surface and then see what's on the paper towel. Is that a typical occurance with the Bare Minerals, or is she using it incorrectly? She's away at college now, so the problem has left home, too. But I've been interested in trying it myself, except if I'm going to have to deal with cleaning it up in my bathroom. I can't use her color tone, so was thinking of trying this sample size.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think she's using way too much. I put my makeup on in the bedroom. I place one of those half sized paper towels down on my dresser, folded in half. I tap the makeup out into the top of one of the containers while it is over the paper towel. There is a small amount of transfer, but not much.

I think in the beginning you don't realize how little of that stuff you really need to cover. If she feels she's not getting good coverage and that is why she is using so much, buy her a Kabuki brush as a gift. It is a big, fat brush with a short handle. Its bristles fill the top of the container, so there will be less spill over, unless when she taps the excess off she's got a really lousy aim.

Fern

My daughter uses Bare Minerals and always seems to leave a fine coating of powder throughout the bathroom - even on the bathtub several feet away from where she's applying the make up - and on the ceiling near the vent. Except on the ceiling, it's barely visible until you wipe the surface and then see what's on the paper towel. Is that a typical occurance with the Bare Minerals, or is she using it incorrectly? She's away at college now, so the problem has left home, too. But I've been interested in trying it myself, except if I'm going to have to deal with cleaning it up in my bathroom. I can't use her color tone, so was thinking of trying this sample size.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There's a current discount code online for $3.50 off, don't know when it will end. I have a 20% off on one item code 96447 that works through the sale if you are buying anything worth it. If you buy $50. worth of items (I will with the Vitabath sale) then shipping is free.

I'm going to order it online on Sunday. That is, unless they give it to me free when I go for my makeover on Saturday :) I think that *might* be the case...

Fern

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter uses Bare Minerals and always seems to leave a fine coating of powder throughout the bathroom - even on the bathtub several feet away from where she's applying the make up - and on the ceiling near the vent.

In addition to the possibility of using too much, maybe she's putting it on wrong? When the salesperson at ULTA put it on me she tapped the brush into my face, rather than brushing parallel to the face (like you would with a paint brush). If your daughter is brushing parallel to the face maybe that will fling some of the stuff around the bathroom?

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I swirl my brush in the powder I've put into the lid of the container. Then I tap my brush on the lid so that the excess/loose powder goes back in the lid. To apply I brush in a circular or half circular motion.

Fern

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Great tutorial link. Thanks for posting.

Fern

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

labguides

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does BE work on Medicare faces or does it look like too much, thus emphasizing all the facial lines/cracks/crevices.

Moosie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ordered it plus another trial type kit for $60.00, used the code Fern mentioned. It said it was applied to total, but never saw it, so I e-mailed and asked what up. Today just got an e-mail that it shipped.

I don't wear a lot of make-up. Usually tinted moisterisers, and bronzers.

I do have Roseaca, although that hae really calmed down in the last few years.

For an Irish girl 50%, Lithunian 50%, when done properly I tan extremely well, as long as it is done slowly. About 10yrs ago we were able to spend 3 wks in Hawii pre timeshare, I came home looking like a native from there. Thinking it must be the Litunian part, or some unkonwn part from some othe gene I'll never know.

Going down to MB soon, so thought I'd try something new to bring and try and thought the trial sizes would be good at security as long as they fit in the zip lock, or at least what I think I might want.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not only do I have a "medicare face," I have huge red areas on my face. I went for a makeover today. Once my face was cleaned and moisturizer applied, the red blotches were very prominent. The difference after the makeup was applied was dramatic. My complexion was clear looking and natural at the same time. I did not look at all "made up."

Fern

Does BE work on Medicare faces or does it look like too much, thus emphasizing all the facial lines/cracks/crevices.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The 10-day free one is one color of foundation and the tiny brush. The try it kit is three and the brush. Still, free is free, and it is good for travel.

When I went for the makeover today I got the free one color and brush, and a free eye makeup shade called "thank you."

Fern

Here's another great deal - a FREE trial w/purchase! http://search.ulta.com/search?p=Q&ts=v2&userid=Guest&w=try+believe+love&x=35&y=5

Try it kit - $1810-Day Trial of bare Minerals Foundation w/Mini Kabuki - FREE

Shipping - $5.95

Tax - $1.33

Total - $25.28

labguides

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern,
Thanks for the input on BE. What products do you consider a good way to start?

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you get the small try it kit I mentioned, it will come with two shades of foundation and a "mineral veil" which is like a finishing top coat. You can use whichever foundation is closest to your normal color, or mix the two, which is what I do. They also sell larger starter kits for about $60. They have about twice as much product, and also more and larger brushes, and a video. That's how I started out.

Bare Escentuals will have a featured two hour block on QVC this Monday (9/29). It will be on from 1 AM to 3 AM Eastern, and then again from 4 PM to 6 PM Eastern. During this time they will explain products, do demonstrations, etc. Its a good way to see what it can do for you, although not so good for purchasing unless they have special pricing (not likely). They always charge tax and shipping, where Ulta often has free shipping over $50. And don't be sucked into "auto ship," where they send you more every two months. Mine lasts me more than twice that long. You really don't use much at all.

Fern

labguides

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll check to see if we have a Ulta Store. We do have a BE store. Which would have the best trained staff to help me get started?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh geez...I just realized I ordered a day too early! :doh:

Oh well, the free sample along with the starter kit sweetened the deal.

Hopefully, you can still order both tomorrow and get the started kit for $15 instead of $18.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'd go to the BE store. Preferably in an off hour so they can spend plenty of time with you...or call and see if they make makeup demo appointments. When you have your makeup done, have them give you the mirror so you can look during/after every step they do. Otherwise they will only show you at the end generally.

Fern

I'll check to see if we have a Ulta Store. We do have a BE store. Which would have the best trained staff to help me get started?