• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bad Renter Warning

mblosser

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently rented a timeshare (Eckhert Place) in San Antonio to Barry Bolduc. He has filed a chargeback on his credit card/Paypal because he was dissatisfied with these aspects of the rental:

- Not enough toilet paper
- No spices in the kitchen
- Swimming pool was too cold

We feel these reasons are just a bit picky, and we will avoid renting to this person in the future. We thought other Tuggers that rent their timeshares might want a heads-up. Make your own decision, of course, but learn from history.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently rented a timeshare (Eckhert Place) in San Antonio to Barry Bolduc. He has filed a chargeback on his credit card/Paypal because he was dissatisfied with these aspects of the rental:

- Not enough toilet paper
- No spices in the kitchen
- Swimming pool was too cold

We feel these reasons are just a bit picky, and we will avoid renting to this person in the future. We thought other Tuggers that rent their timeshares might want a heads-up. Make your own decision, of course, but learn from history.

How very dishonest:mad: This guy knows what he is doing. I hope you can win the chargeback.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Those complaints you take up with management. An owner has no control over those items. Does he do the same at a hotel, expect money back? Nonsense. You call housekeeping and ask for another roll of tp.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I hope you are fighting this?

Did the renter find your Ad on TUG?

Is he a TUG member?

Travelclam

TUG Member
Reaction score
How unreasonable and ridiculous. Was there any contract signed for the rental? I had a bad experience once with a renter who checked out early because she had allergic reaction to laundry dryer sheet smells left on the towels and a can of insect repellent in the laundry room cupboard, and claimed a refund. I didn't fight it and gave her the refund, because I didn't want any unpleasant dispute back and forth. I wish I had thought of such and include some kind of clause in the rental contract to exclude things we owners cannot control.

I am just curious if there's any standard statements on ts rental contracts to protect the owners from these kinds of claims.
B

mblosser

TUG Member
Reaction score
More Info on the Bad Renter Situation

At the risk of edifying the already knowledgeable:

- I learned (or at least was told) that Paypal is actually "on my side" on this chargeback. They are a middleman. The credit card company received the chargeback (in my case, it could also have gone directly to Paypal, it's the buyer's decision where he starts).
- It costs Paypal $150 if they/I lose the chargeback (I honestly don't believe this number, it seems way too high, but it is what Paypal told me). They pass $20 of that onto me if the chargeback succeeds. So, Paypal seems to have a fairly nice incentive to fight the chargeback ($130 worth). They told me they don't just accept "no" for an answer from the credit card company.
- With Paypal, I cannot see what the buyer's issues are by looking online. They don't post the details. So, I have to call and ask (which I did). I also asked the resort manager what the renter did or did not do while staying there. I learned the renter demanded a free week from the manager because of the listed issues. The resort actually reported the renter's demands to their corporate office.
- I provided a write-up of how I rented the week, the price, the terms, a link to my website showing I did not exaggerate about the amenities, and copies of the confirmation and check-in instructions. I noted that I have no control over the condition of the unit or amenities, and that it is incumbent on the guest/renter to go talk to the office staff if there are issues.
- I don't do rental contracts. I don't feel they are worth the effort. I trust that renters will know I can find them, given they have to give out their real information to use a credit card on Paypal (and the check-in desk also checks ID, and usually takes a credit card imprint for damages).
- Note that credit cards rules do not allow us to say "all sales final" for our rentals. While I generally don't allow cancellations or refunds, this does not mean the renter cannot dispute and attempt a chargeback.
- Paypal will put a hold on the amount of the chargeback, or more, if the Paypal transaction exceeds the disputed amount. In my case, the transaction was $799 and the dispute $250, but Paypal still took $799 out of my account. This does not seem fair or legal but it is what they did.
- The Paypal team member seemed very familiar with chargebacks, and told me that mine was one of the more outrageous ones he'd seen. He thought we'd be OK but of course he cannot know what the credit card company will do.

Anyway, if any Tuggers are able to avoid Barry Bolduc (or get cash instead of credit from him) as a result of this posting, that'll make it worthwhile. More later ...

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
send me the individuals email address, ill check to see if they are a TUG member or not (note there are no members with that first and last name combo.

Thats ridiculous.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see why they did not dispute through Paypal, as that is a wacky system. It is better to go through the credit card company.

The nature of this dispute, however, is completely off the wall, and on this basis it is not a legitimate dispute through any channel.

Since I started working in Europe, I have been renting my OBX summer week through a local timeshare rental agency. They have a pretty tight contract with renters, and I always get my week rented and net a nice profit. The commission they charge is well worth it to avoid hassles like this. One other thing they do I like is to offer their renters vacation insurance, with the clause that if disaster strikes and the renter has not taken out that insurance, then they have self insured and do not get their rental money back.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Those are ridiculous complaints. This guy is a real scumbag, and I hope he googles his name and sees this thread.

Our daughter had a chargeback who claimed it wasn't her credit card. She had email communications--several of them with the renter's actual email address. How does someone steal your email and your credit card, without your permission?

Plus, Wyndham requires ID at check-in. The woman said she never stayed there. Our daughter had a signed contract. Just because the woman claimed her credit card was stolen AFTER the rental was over, the credit card company sided with the woman, so our daughter was out the money, and the woman had a free week's stay.

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... It costs Paypal $150 if they/I lose the chargeback (I honestly don't believe this number, it seems way too high, but it is what Paypal told me). They pass $20 of that onto me if the chargeback succeeds. So, Paypal seems to have a fairly nice incentive to fight the chargeback ($130 worth). They told me they don't just accept "no" for an answer from the credit card company.

The above is probably true enough. I had a transaction go bad through a E-Bay transaction. Pay-Pal was involved. They told me they would not honor my complaint because they act on the Sellers and not Buyers behalf.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Successful paypal chargeback for seller

My sister and I had a successful Paypal chargebacks situation. We rented a week at Park City last year and specificually put the dates of the rental on the paypal invoice. Renter came late and stated that we had rented the actual days that she wanted, not the ones on the paypal invoice. Hers was a case of wishful thinking, not outright fraud - she just was not paying attention and then wanted us to reimburse her. We won.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Cindy:
That is what ID theft is all about.

You are always so off the mark. You are this time as well. It was a scam by this woman, but I get a lot of satisfaction knowing that if she tries it again, her credit card company will know she's done it before.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a Barry Bolduc teaching a Granite Park Junior High School. I would bet it's one in the same.

There are pics of him on his motorcycle, and his family enjoying VACATIONS he probably doesn't pay for.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
If so.... DETENTION 4PM !!!!!:rofl:

buceo

Reaction score
There is a Barry Bolduc teaching a Granite Park Junior High School. I would bet it's one in the same.

Aren't the OP's renter and your school location in two different states?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aren't the OP's renter and your school location in two different states?

Don't you travel to other states, or do you just stay in your state to vacation?

buceo

Reaction score
Do we know the bad renter is from Salt lake City where the school is? I'm wondering why by name "it's one in the same" I just hope you are right.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do we know the bad renter is from Salt lake City where the school is? I'm wondering why by name "it's one in the same" I just hope you are right.

I said, "I would bet it's one in the same." I didn't say I was 100% sure of it. But the owner of the week, the OP, would know if his/ her renter lives in SLC.

buceo

Reaction score
Really? That's all you have is a name? There are about a dozen Barry Bolducs in Yahoo white pages, let alone many B Buldocs. I don't think TUG should let the accusation stand if by name alone. Since the OP posted the name I sure hope it gets corroborated.

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use a contract with an escrow company. I have used the one recommended by on redweek.com. It is a little bit more cost/less income (depending who pays it) but you have a middleman that secure the transaction.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
agreed, simply googling a name and assuming its the renter is absurd.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
post deleted - not necessary to add fuel.

Last edited: