• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aulani rocks!

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
H, could you scope out the cabana's for me. #1 is said to have the best view, but of what? I am thinking about renting one in May. Don't make a special trip but if you happen to be out at the pool, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Laurie

The cabanas all face the pool. However, cabana 1 is on the edge of the property and as such one side of that cabana is open to the lagoon. Cabana 1 is the only one with a unobstructed lagoon view.

H

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Today is overcast, hard to answer with 100% certainty, but the landscaping is pretty lush, so I think so. There is also a smaller pool on the JW side of the property which looked very shady. Plus umbrellas over some loungers, I think you will be ok, shade wise.

H

Thank you.

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
The cabanas all face the pool. However, cabana 1 is on the edge of the property and as such one side of that cabana is open to the lagoon. Cabana 1 is the only one with a unobstructed lagoon view.

H

Thanks for the info! I was wondering what made this one more appealing. Still trying to decide if its worth it to spend the money on a Cabana. We will probably be on the beach most of the time.

dmorea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Looks so enticing.... The photos are beautiful , Thanks for sharing them!
I was thinking maybe no more Hawaii for a while, but now , those photos and frigid NY temps, I may just have to rethink that plan too!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
We will write a TUG review for sure, but here's my wrap up impressions.

We have only been timesharing for about 3 years, but this is definately one of the nicest timeshares we've ever stayed in. There are a few flaws, though, and I'll address them first so as not to end on a sour note:

Cons:
1. Poor selection of TV channels (I could not care less, Mr. H noticed this)
2. Inadequate poolside service- nice servers, trying hard, just about 25% the number that was needed. Seriously understaffed
3. High food prices, fairly limited selection. If we were here more than 3 days, we'd be eating in the room some or going out elsewhere
4. We were staying on 2 linked reservations using DVC points from 2 different UY, our room keys which we use to charge at the resort got coded reflecting a check out day earlier than our actual check out. Went to breakfast with only Mr. H's card, took the waitress literally 20 minutes on the phone with front desk to get the charge to go through. Commented that my card should be fine, so we took that down by the pool later & ordered lunch. Same thing happened, poor waiter on phone with front desk for 25 minutes. They have to make fixing something like this less time intensive for the wait staff.

Next post will be pros!

H

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will write a TUG review for sure, but here's my wrap up impressions.

We have only been timesharing for about 3 years, but this is definately one of the nicest timeshares we've ever stayed in. There are a few flaws, though, and I'll address them first so as not to end on a sour note:

Cons:
1. Poor selection of TV channels (I could not care less, Mr. H noticed this)
2. Inadequate poolside service- nice servers, trying hard, just about 25% the number that was needed. Seriously understaffed
3. High food prices, fairly limited selection. If we were here more than 3 days, we'd be eating in the room some or going out elsewhere
4. We were staying on 2 linked reservations using DVC points from 2 different UY, our room keys which we use to charge at the resort got coded reflecting a check out day earlier than our actual check out. Went to breakfast with only Mr. H's card, took the waitress literally 20 minutes on the phone with front desk to get the charge to go through. Commented that my card should be fine, so we took that down by the pool later & ordered lunch. Same thing happened, poor waiter on phone with front desk for 25 minutes. They have to make fixing something like this less time intensive for the wait staff.

Next post will be pros!

H

What size unit did you have? View? And, how much did it cost in maintenance fees plus exchange plus guest fee or rental rate? Curious as to the total cost of a stay at Aulani.

thanks,

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Aulani top ten list:
10. *Fresh lei greeting
9. *Beautiful lush landscaping
8. *Detailed Hawaiian decor
7. *Lagoon with sandy beach, loungers and safe swimming
6. *Beautiful open air restaurant, AMA AMA, with decent food (only ate breakfast there, $40-$50 for 2)
5. *Incredible pool area with lots of lounges, two pools, many hot tubs
4. *Volcano slides- one tubeless semi-scary, one more gentle with 1 and 2 person tubes
3. *Lazy river, not too crowded, great theming
2. *Infinity hot tub overlooking the lagoon
1. *Live Hawaiian music nightly (or at least Fri, Sat, Sun, the nights we stayed). *This was the absolute best part about the stay to me, the ambiance was pure Hawaiian.

Of course there are tons of other great features of this place that you can read about elsewhere- spa, man-made snorkeling reef, interactive stingray opportunity, outrigger canoe rides, excursions, many on-site activities, character meals (if that's your thing), walking distance to Marriott's KoOlina Beach Club and the JW for a little meal variety, and a nice peaceful setting.

Our verdict: absolutely loved it. *Trying to decide if we should add a full week to our 2014 Maui trip or just keep it at 3 days. *The only thing that might keep the stay short is the relatively limited dining options. *For dinner, you can have a big buffet or a fancy dinner. *No option for having a little something simple. *They need a good sandwich, salad, soups, and simple entree option with fresh vegetables (ie not French fries as a side). *Or else we'd just pick up stuff to eat in the room.

Overall two very solid thumbs up!

H

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
What size unit did you have? View? And, how much did it cost in maintenance fees plus exchange plus guest fee or rental rate? Curious as to the total cost of a stay at Aulani.

thanks,

We were 2 people in an ocean view studio. We are DVC members and booked using our membership. We bought both sets of our DVC resale at a decent but not killer price. Our math amortizes the initial purchase over 15 years and we are still in the 15 year mark. Thus, our current cost is $11/pt, after 15 years it decreases to the cost of MF alone.

Our room was 25 points per night, or the equivalent of $250/night. There were no other fees associated with this stay. Considering that we do not pay parking, resort fees or taxes, if we obtained a hotel room and wound up $250/night all-in, the nightly hotel rate would have to have been probably been around $175 (parking here is $40/night but is not charged to DVC members).

H

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were 2 people in an ocean view studio. We are DVC members and booked using our membership. We bought both sets of our DVC resale at a decent but not killer price. Our math amortizes the initial purchase over 15 years and we are still in the 15 year mark. Thus, our current cost is $11/pt, after 15 years it decreases to the cost of MF alone.

Our room was 25 points per night, or the equivalent of $250/night. There were no other fees associated with this stay. Considering that we do not pay parking, resort fees or taxes, if we obtained a hotel room and wound up $250/night all-in, the nightly hotel rate would have to have been probably been around $175 (parking here is $40/night but is not charged to DVC members).

H

Thanks. That's helpful.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Early Morning Aulani

Don't want to hijack Heathpack's thread to much, but I was there this weekend as well. Unfortunatly the kids were having so much fun, I got worn out before I could meet up with H. I'll try and post a more detailed review in a couple days, but we loved it as well. I'll post some more photos later, but I shot this one yesterday about 9am.

Steve

Attachments

• Early Morning at Aulani.jpg
    Early Morning at Aulani.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds awesome, especially the infinity edge hot tub!

(parking here is $40/night but is not charged to DVC members).
Do you know if that's charged for DVC members staying on an exchange and/or if the unit is rented from another DVC member? In other words, could I use my DVC member card to avoid paying parking, or would I have to book through DVC?

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Amazing picture! Thanks :)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Sounds awesome, especially the infinity edge hot tub!

Do you know if that's charged for DVC members staying on an exchange and/or if the unit is rented from another DVC member? In other words, could I use my DVC member card to avoid paying parking, or would I have to book through DVC?

Not sure, sorry. Anybody else?!

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of anyone getting an exchange into Aulani, so I'm not sure about that one. I booked two studios last year on my VGC points for family and they did not have to pay for parking. One was specifically told that parking is free for DVC members so they did not have to pay. They are not members, and my name was not on the ressie. I think the official line is parking is free for members, but practically they are including it for any rooms booked on points. When I checked in this weekend, they greeting me with a "Welcome Home" and I was not asked for my member card.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score

thanks,

Another cost point.
I bought VGC points last year at $85/point, I use the full life of contract to figure cost, makes me feel better. So roughly $2/point/year plus last years MF of $4.07 for 2012 points. So my Island View 1-bedroom cost is 37 pt/night or $6 x 37 = $222/night. It would be a little more this year because my MF went up to $4.31

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
*The only thing that might keep the stay short is the relatively limited dining options. *For dinner, you can have a big buffet or a fancy dinner. *No option for having a little something simple. *They need a good sandwich, salad, soups, and simple entree option with fresh vegetables (ie not French fries as a side). *Or else we'd just pick up stuff to eat in the room.

Did you happen to notice if it is fairly easy to go to the Marriott to grab a sandwich?

From all the Aulani reports I've seen, the limited food choices would probably keep me out of a studio if there is nothing within walking distance.

pefs65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics. :)
Thanks for all of the great info on Aulani !

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to notice if it is fairly easy to go to the Marriott to grab a sandwich?

From all the Aulani reports I've seen, the limited food choices would probably keep me out of a studio if there is nothing within walking distance.

I didn't go there, but the Marriott Ihilani is very close, in fact that was the view from my villa. If you're refering to MKO then its a little farther, but can still be reached by either the sidewalk or very nice beach walking path around the lagoons. Across the street on the golf course side is Up country Market, rebadged ABC store. They have a large selction of premade sandwiches and even hot items like burgers. Much cheaper than eating at Aulani. I did not eat there, but I saw people eating and the food looked good. Its also a great place to buy drinks of various sorts if you don't feel like driving to the market.

a1000monkeys

Reaction score
We are heading to Aulani in a little over 3 weeks. Getting very excited. We are only staying for 3 nights followed by another 7 at Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club. I already know my kids are going to be disappointed to leave Aulani.

We usually eat mostly in our villa. I love the prepared Hawaiian foods as well as the fresh fish they have at Costco. However, since Aunty's Beach House kids club is included with our stay we are taking advantage of the free babysitting and treating DW and I to dinner at Ama Ama one night without kids. With 3 young kids, Aunty's Beach house and the nightly entertainment actually makes Aulani a pretty good value.

I'm already assuming that we will like it so much that I'm already planning to go again next year for an 8 night stay.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aunty's Beach house was great. My DD 5 really loved it. She went twice for about an hour and a half each time. The first time you go they give you a guest pass to walk around the facility with your child. If you decide to leave them you'll need to register by filling out about three forms. It can take a little long because they need to enter your info into the computer and strap what I assume is an RF id tag to your childs wrist. The facility is larger than I thought, although I did read a post on another site that said they were actually booked solid during the holidays and were turning people away.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

I walked the path along all 4 lagoons and the total round trip distance was 2.5 miles. I would therefore say the walk to Marriotts KoOlina would be maybe 0.5 miles. There was the market Steve mentions and a taco place, plus Paradise Cove Luau, and Roy's all nearby. Also several restaurants at the JW and Marriott KBC. All walkable. But it would've been nice to never have to leave

We only stayed 3 days, otherwise we would have been happy with sandwiches, salads, fruit, juice, toast, cereal. In retrospect, we probably should have just bought some sandwich supplies, but we weren't sure what to expect. We'd definitely do a studio next time if it meant we could stay twice as long. But then again, I think we are totally happy in a studio whereas most TUGgers are not.

H

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, since Aunty's Beach House kids club is included with our stay we are taking advantage of the free babysitting and treating DW and I to dinner at Ama Ama one night without kids. With 3 young kids, Aunty's Beach house and the nightly entertainment actually makes Aulani a pretty good value.
Free babysitting? Do tell more!

Wow, just read about it on Aulani's site: Aunty's Beach House

That's awesome! This just moved Aulani up quite a bit on our list!

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
cabana one

H, could you scope out the cabana's for me. #1 is said to have the best view, but of what? I am thinking about renting one in May.
Thanks, Laurie

Cabana one is the one on the left. It has an unobstructed view of the lagoon on the side and pool view in the front. It also only has one cabana next to it, not two like the middle one.

6723498979_ee5df96795_z.jpg

Last edited:

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That Cabana 1 looks so inviting! We will be on the big island 12 days, so this will be the only place we are staying that has beachfront so just can't decide to rent chairs w/umbrellas or do a cabana. Beautiful pic by the way, Thanks so much for posting it :D