• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aulani rocks!

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Just arrived today, totally smitten. Love the lazy river, water slides, tropical drinks, beach bar and the overall vibe of the place. Oh did I mention the bilevel infinity hot tub and humpbacks breeching just offshore? That was nice too. Sitting on my balcony listening to the awesome live Hawaiian music from the restaurant patio.

Questions? Let me know, we check out Monday.

H

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just arrived today, totally smitten. Love the lazy river, water slides, tropical drinks, beach bar and the overall vibe of the place. Oh did I mention the bilevel infinity hot tub and humpbacks breeching just offshore? That was nice too. Sitting on my balcony listening to the awesome live Hawaiian music from the restaurant patio.

Questions? Let me know, we check out Monday.

H

Are you going to try the restaurants there? I've been reading on the DIS boards a lot of comments about the prices(it's HI for goodness sakes, food costs more) and the quality.

I'm figuring if we ever do HI again might try to put a few days at Aulani on the begining or end of the trip.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
We'll be there next month for 1 night. Can't wait :cheer:

Question - What nights are they currently running the Starlit Hui evening entertainment? You might find it listed in the IWA (see below)

From Allears.net
Each day a new "daily 'IWA" publication is available at the front desk or various locations around the resort (it is not delivered to your room). Like the "Daily Navigator" on the cruise ships, this describes all of the activities that will be held at the resort that day. On Sunday, a "weekly 'IWA" provides a higher-level overview of the events for the week, to allow guests to do some more advance planning. The weekly version is provided to all guests on check-in, regardless of what day they arrive.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Are you going to try the restaurants there? I've been reading on the DIS boards a lot of comments about the prices(it's HI for goodness sakes, food costs more) and the quality.

I'm figuring if we ever do HI again might try to put a few days at Aulani on the begining or end of the trip.

PS (per-script): sorry about the weird random asterisks below. For some reason those get inserted when I copy and paste from Evernote on my iPad.

We intend to try all the restaurants on this reconnoiter trip.Yesterday, we plunked ourselves down at the bar and had a few drinks and a late lunch/early dinner. *Tropical Mai tais were $11 each, Mr. H's*drinks were in the $8-$10 range. *His burger was $15ish, my chicken lettuce wraps were $12ish. *The food was fine- typical Disney well-done greyburger. *My chicken was surprisingly*fried, not what I expected but good.*Both came with fries and were a full meal. *Bill for 4 cocktails and two entrees was $64. *We had a lovely lagoon and pool view. *I'd say that meal cost about $10 more than it would have in LA, I am ok with that.

We poked our heads into the fine dining restuarant whose name escapes me right now. *Entrees pricey at $35-$55 a head. *I would be most interested in the lamb which I believe was $50ish. *Pricey yes, but it is a beautiful open-air lagoonside site and the menu was pretty appealing.

We also peeked at the buffet restaurant. *About $30 for breakfast and $45 for dinner. *Again, menu looked appealing but it is a buffet, I'm sure the food will not knock my socks off. *We are on the 9th floor fairly close to the restaurant and it was so nice sitting on the balcony listening to it last night (BTW, the sliding door is the most soundproof door I've ever encountered. *Shut your slider and your room is SILENT.). We loved Marriotts KoOlina Beach Club when we stayed there a few years ago, but the one critique that we offered was no live traditional Hawaiian music.

There is a snack shop of some sort under the volcano slide that we did not check out yet.

Oh yeah, and we are only here 3 days and won't be eating much in the room- just stopped by the sundries store to pick up a few things so that we didn't have to make a separate trip to the market. *For $35 we bought: loaf of bread, half gallon OJ, two sodas, two waters, and a bag of Mac nuts. *There was no fresh fruit to be had.

If there is anything specific you'd like me to find out for you, let me know. *We are thinking of Maui in 2014 and yesterday afternoon, my slightly inebriated, very exhausted self was trying to run the numbers in my head to figure out if we could tack an Aulani stay onto that trip. *So of course my opinion is you should definately try Aulani!

H

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Monday and Thursday. We will miss it, we are a Fri-Mon stay.

H

We'll be there next month for 1 night. Can't wait :cheer:

Question - What nights are they currently running the Starlit Hui evening entertainment? You might find it listed in the IWA (see below)

From Allears.net
Each day a new "daily 'IWA" publication is available at the front desk or various locations around the resort (it is not delivered to your room). Like the "Daily Navigator" on the cruise ships, this describes all of the activities that will be held at the resort that day. On Sunday, a "weekly 'IWA" provides a higher-level overview of the events for the week, to allow guests to do some more advance planning. The weekly version is provided to all guests on check-in, regardless of what day they arrive.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I am planning a trip to Aulani in 2013 and I cannot wait!

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be there after lunch

I'm super excited and couldn't sleep this morning. I'll be checking in after lunch. Can't wait I think my DD 5 is going to love it.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I'm super excited and couldn't sleep this morning. I'll be checking in after lunch. Can't wait I think my DD 5 is going to love it.

Hey slum, can you bring me a stick of butter and a fresh pineapple?!

lol, just kidding

Let's try to grab a quick drink at the bar or poolside. We are out on a dolphin snorkel today, will be back for cocktails and will be around the resort all day tomorrow.

H

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Lagoon in AM

28512df2.jpg

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Infinity Hottub

9cd0bbea.jpg

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
View from AMA AMA

80edcc1f.jpg

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! Does Ko Olina feel crowded now that Aulani is open? How is the traffic in the resort? The beach shown in the picture looks kind of empty. Is this typical during your trip? We bought a townhome in Ko Olina (across from Disney/golf course) a little over a year ago and have not been back since last Jan. I'm just curious about how the community looks with the opening of the new resort and additional traffic.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
PS (per-script): sorry about the weird random asterisks below. For some reason those get inserted when I copy and paste from Evernote on my iPad.

We intend to try all the restaurants on this reconnoiter trip.Yesterday, we plunked ourselves down at the bar and had a few drinks and a late lunch/early dinner. *Tropical Mai tais were $11 each, Mr. H's*drinks were in the $8-$10 range. *His burger was $15ish, my chicken lettuce wraps were $12ish. *The food was fine- typical Disney well-done greyburger. *My chicken was surprisingly*fried, not what I expected but good.*Both came with fries and were a full meal. *Bill for 4 cocktails and two entrees was $64. *We had a lovely lagoon and pool view. *I'd say that meal cost about $10 more than it would have in LA, I am ok with that.

We poked our heads into the fine dining restuarant whose name escapes me right now. *Entrees pricey at $35-$55 a head. *I would be most interested in the lamb which I believe was $50ish. *Pricey yes, but it is a beautiful open-air lagoonside site and the menu was pretty appealing.

We also peeked at the buffet restaurant. *About $30 for breakfast and $45 for dinner. *Again, menu looked appealing but it is a buffet, I'm sure the food will not knock my socks off. *We are on the 9th floor fairly close to the restaurant and it was so nice sitting on the balcony listening to it last night (BTW, the sliding door is the most soundproof door I've ever encountered. *Shut your slider and your room is SILENT.). We loved Marriotts KoOlina Beach Club when we stayed there a few years ago, but the one critique that we offered was no live traditional Hawaiian music.

There is a snack shop of some sort under the volcano slide that we did not check out yet.

Oh yeah, and we are only here 3 days and won't be eating much in the room- just stopped by the sundries store to pick up a few things so that we didn't have to make a separate trip to the market. *For $35 we bought: loaf of bread, half gallon OJ, two sodas, two waters, and a bag of Mac nuts. *There was no fresh fruit to be had.

If there is anything specific you'd like me to find out for you, let me know. *We are thinking of Maui in 2014 and yesterday afternoon, my slightly inebriated, very exhausted self was trying to run the numbers in my head to figure out if we could tack an Aulani stay onto that trip. *So of course my opinion is you should definately try Aulani!

H

Typical Disney drink prices:hysterical: To be honest I've never had a burger at WDW in all our trips. DH thinks the place to have a burger is Beaches & Cream at BCV, much better than those in the parks.

To be honest maybe I knew what to expect when we went to HI in 2010(17day trip) I wasn't shocked at prices, even at the St. Regis on Kauai.

We are probably targeting 2015 for eldest DS's graduation trip or maybe sooner if I see something in II or RCI :rolleyes:

Love that hottub, I could be persuaded to get in that.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Beautiful! Does Ko Olina feel crowded now that Aulani is open? How is the traffic in the resort? The beach shown in the picture looks kind of empty. Is this typical during your trip? We bought a townhome in Ko Olina (across from Disney/golf course) a little over a year ago and have not been back since last Jan. I'm just curious about how the community looks with the opening of the new resort and additional traffic.

Still very peaceful & quiet out here. The lagoon photos were taken around 7:30 am.

H

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Any shade at the resort? DH and I are thinking of spending some time there in the next few years, however, shade is a must for DH. Would hate to book such a beautiful resort and have to spend beach time off site.

Ingrid

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing --- it looks and sounds fantastic. Maybe I can talk Ian into not selling our SSR points yet.

elaine

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow to the Infinity Hot tub.

Sounds like a fantastic stay. Thank you for the wonderful pictures and taking the time to share.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Any shade at the resort? DH and I are thinking of spending some time there in the next few years, however, shade is a must for DH. Would hate to book such a beautiful resort and have to spend beach time off site.

Ingrid

Today is overcast, hard to answer with 100% certainty, but the landscaping is pretty lush, so I think so. There is also a smaller pool on the JW side of the property which looked very shady. Plus umbrellas over some loungers, I think you will be ok, shade wise.

H

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
H thanks for the heads up on the hot tub. It was getting a little chilly in the pool for us local folk, so we made our way over to the hot tub. It's a great place to soak in some warmth and views. Let's try and hook up tomorrow. I'll send you a pm.

Steve

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It starts at 7pm, but there is no indication of how long it lasts.

H

Thank you

It looks like the schedule is the same as Sept. The Sept IWA had the Starlit Hui show listed from 7pm to 8:30pm. I moved my DVC reservation last month so I could catch the show.

wdwinfo.com has a copy of the daily IWAs from September 4-10, 2011
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/aulani-hawaii-resort/#iwa

I hope you're having a wonderful trip. Enjoy !!
Please post a TUG review when you get a chance. There are no reviews for this resort in the TUG Resort DB.

Thanks again

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
H, could you scope out the cabana's for me. #1 is said to have the best view, but of what? I am thinking about renting one in May. Don't make a special trip but if you happen to be out at the pool, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Laurie

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Oh, I just remembered that I saw menus with prices on Allears.

Here's the link - http://allears.net/acc/aul/aulani_links.htm (scroll down to the Menu Section)

From Allears - http://allears.net/acc/faq_aulani.htm

What are the dining options?

'AMA 'AMA - this beachside casual restaurant is located on the far end of the Waikolohe Valley, above the beach. It features covered open air seating, and serves lunch and dinner (breakfast service starts in November 2011). The menu focuses on "contemporary island cooking" and features fresh local ingredients, including sustainable seafood. It's a great location for watching a sunset. The restaurant is named after a local type of mullet fish called the 'ama'ama, which may sound familiar to anyone who has heard "The Hukilau Song". (We're going to a hukilau... We throw our nets out into the sea, and all the `ama`ama come a-swimmin' to me ...)

Makahiki - The Bounty of the Islands - is a casual buffet restaurant located on the ground floor just below the lobby. There is both outdoor and indoor seating. The buffet selections have quite an international flavor with an emphasis on locally-inspired cuisine and Asian influences. Hawaiian favorites at dinner might include laulau, poi, and poke, while breakfast features the locally popular Loco Moco. Sushi/sashimi, rice, and dim sum are also available, as well as more traditional American fare. "Aunty's Breakfast Celebration" takes place Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays, featuring Aunty and favorite Disney characters like Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy.

Lava Shack - this poolside location serves snacks and cold boxed lunches like fried chicken and salmon.

Off the Hook - is an open-air bar between 'AMA 'AMA and the Waikolohe Pool. The menu includes sandwiches and wraps, as well as traditional and specialty tropical drinks.

The 'Olelo Room - this bar is located on the ground floor next to Makahiki. All the bartenders speak Hawaiian, and guests are encouraged to brush up on some Hawaiian words. To help, the decor features the Hawaiian name on things like chairs and tables, with even more names on wooden figures on the walls. The 'Olelo Room serves a continental breakfast in the morning, and appetizers and drinks in the evening.

One Paddle, Two Paddle - this counter service restaurant is next to 'AMA 'AMA. It opens in the late morning with an all-day menu that includes a pork sandwich, burgers, fish tacos, and wraps.

Papalua Shave Ice - the shave ice stand is located in the pool area, with 12 different syrup flavors - select your favorite two or three or five.

Rip Swirl Yogurt - though it's located just inside the Painted Sky Teen Spa, the yogurt bar is open to anyone. Select from four flavors of frozen yogurt, and as many as three different toppings from the variety of fruits, candies, nuts, and sprinkles available.

Room service is also available from 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight.