• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At WSJ this week

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked into my B41 3BR Pool Villa on Saturday night. :cheer: The weather is beautiful, and things are still drying out from Omar. My unit has been "updated" for the most part. The old dining room table/chairs, coffee tables, and entertainment cabinet remain, but the carpet, curtains, electronics/appliances, outdoor furniture, and remaining furniture are updated.

Pat (GrayFal) just gave a thorough update as to what is going on here regarding renovations so I probably won't have much to add. There are a lot of big portable containers around, but I didn't see much work going on yesterday (Sunday). I'll poke around a bit and see what I find out. I'm going to an owner's update tomorrow, so if anyone has any specific questions, I'll try to get answers.

-tim

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
My neighbor's business partner is there this week too. He is in one of the Hillside 3 bedrooms, not the new section (unless he was moved).

Have a great time! My whole gang will be going next June, so we are in planning mode already.

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi TLPNet - Which unit are you in, I own unit 4111 week 16. Did they update the bedroom funiture as well? Thanks! Pam

Hi Pam,

I own in 4113. Yes, the bedroom furniture was upgraded too. There is no headboard on any of the beds, though.

-tim

sharktzu

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ Advice

I have a 3 bedroom(bay vista) booked for June 2009. I actually have a party of 14 but 6 of them are small children. Do you think we can get into a three bedroom? I know svo says the unit sleeps 10 max. I tried to get an additional unit, but those trades are hard to pull even through svn. I'm on the waiting list, but I feel like its also a long shot. Anyone got any advice? My fall back is to use starpoints at the hotel, but that would be a bummer.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay on the wait list at time gets nearer people may drop out.Its good to have the SO's as a back up plan I would book it to be sure and before another devaluation.You canalways cancel the hotel if the room doesn't pan out.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 bedroom(bay vista) booked for June 2009. I actually have a party of 14 but 6 of them are small children. Do you think we can get into a three bedroom? I know svo says the unit sleeps 10 max. I tried to get an additional unit, but those trades are hard to pull even through svn. I'm on the waiting list, but I feel like its also a long shot. Anyone got any advice? My fall back is to use starpoints at the hotel, but that would be a bummer.

What week are you going in June? We'll be there June 12th-19th.

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO the Bay Vista units are the most spectacular of all of the SVO properties that I have seen. I toured them today and was blown away. The 3BR unit I toured in BV was a little small, so you'll be a little squeezed, but if it's 6 small children willing to sleep on the floor, you can probably do it. The space in the 2BR loft almost seemed larger but it was kind of a funky cool layout, and then the adults would have a problem because you wouldn't have the bed space.

Once of the most interesting things I learned in my owner's update today was that the "BV' transformation was completed for 4 buildings, but SVO is only selling in two and the other two are being used by the hotel side. Once a certain sales level is reached on the two buildings, the other two will become SVO property, and will be sold as TS's also.

In an earlier post, I noted that not all furniture in my villa had been replaced. I was told that not all of the furniture had arrived, and is just now arriving so ALL of the furniture will eventually be replaced. I had also noted that these villas don't have headboards - these ARE slated for being added, and were supposedly in the delayed shipment.

-tim

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
What week are you going in June? We'll be there June 12th-19th.

It turns out that out WSJ plans may change for 2009 (with the addition of week 23) - so you never know - we may end up being there weeks 23 and 24.

sharktzu

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reservation I have is for June 26-July 3, which is a Friday to Friday. I'm on the waitlist for the Sunday to Sunday, but I'm also wondering if I'd have a better shot at the Saturday to Saturday units since there are many more of them. Anyone else want to weigh in on the possibility of getting 8 adults and 6 kids into one three bedroom? Will the resort say anything? Also on previous threads I've read discussion about renting a car on St. Thomas and then taking the ferry to St. John from Red Hook. I was thinking of doing this so that we could access some of the beaches in the park side of the island. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

islandguy

Reaction score
Car on SJT

...renting a car on St. Thomas and then taking the ferry to St. John from Red Hook. I was thinking of doing this so that we could access some of the beaches in the park side of the island. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

I go every year to WSJ and I always rent a car at the airport in St. Thomas. It is cheaper and easier than doing the Westin Ferry. I think having a car in WSJ is a must if you want to go to the various beaches etc.

Some would say you don't need a car for a week and rent by the day on STJ but the jeeps/cars are more expensive on STJ and the Westin Ferry costs more for one person than a car RT from STT to STJ, therefore renting for 3 days on STJ is more than for a week at STT.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I go every year to WSJ and I always rent a car at the airport in St. Thomas. It is cheaper and easier than doing the Westin Ferry. I think having a car in WSJ is a must if you want to go to the various beaches etc.

Some would say you don't need a car for a week and rent by the day on STJ but the jeeps/cars are more expensive on STJ and the Westin Ferry costs more for one person than a car RT from STT to STJ, therefore renting for 3 days on STJ is more than for a week at STT.

Huh, that is good to know. I am guessing the ferry charge is cheaper because they are charging per car and not per person?

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked using the Westin ferry it was pretty simple.I wouldn't rent a car at all next time It wasn't worth it for only 3 people. Cab usage would have cost me much less.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked using the Westin ferry it was pretty simple.I wouldn't rent a car at all next time It wasn't worth it for only 3 people. Cab usage would have cost me much less.

In the past, we did not rent a car/suv. But when we go in June next year, there will be at least 13 of us. The youngest will be 16, so we definately need the room.

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
They're pretty laid back here - I don't think they will pay any attention to how many people are in the villa. The 3BR pool villas are much bigger if you could get in one instead of Bay Vista.

Regarding the Westin ferry, it is currently out of commission, so regardless, you get shuttled via public taxi to Red Hook and water taxied to Westin. They are still happy to collect your $85 - an issue I'm going to take up with the front desk before I leave.

I will also rent a car next year, but hadn't given thought to renting in St. Thomas.

Another thing of note - there are little tiny "deadly" mosquitos here (maybe this just happens to be the season), but some type of mosquito prevention is advised - I have big red welts all over my legs and arms.

-tim

islandguy

Reaction score
Huh, that is good to know. I am guessing the ferry charge is cheaper because they are charging per car and not per person?

Last year I paid $55 RT on the car ferry for my car. I only had 2 people in the car -- so if I took the Westin Ferry it would have been $85 x2 = $170 plus I would have needed a car on STJ.

Taxis are okay if you are doing the close in beaches but I alway get away from the crowds and need a car.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year I paid $55 RT on the car ferry for my car. I only had 2 people in the car -- so if I took the Westin Ferry it would have been $85 x2 = $170 plus I would have needed a car on STJ.

Taxis are okay if you are doing the close in beaches but I alway get away from the crowds and need a car.

This is why I love TUG. I wasn't even considering renting on STT and taking the other ferry over. When we go in June, I was going to rent two suv's. Plus with 13 people, time $90 pp for the Westin Ferry. This info just saved me/us a bunch of money!

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
. Thomas.

Another thing of note - there are little tiny "deadly" mosquitos here (maybe this just happens to be the season), but some type of mosquito prevention is advised - I have big red welts all over my legs and arms.

-tim

Same here. They went for my ankles and back of my knee. They seemed to like the internet area (dark) in the main lobby.
I had the bite reminders for a month later.
FYI everyone: use your repellent.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Fantastic! I knew there was a reason I haven't been to WSJ yet... :)

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
This is why I love TUG. I wasn't even considering renting on STT and taking the other ferry over. When we go in June, I was going to rent two suv's. Plus with 13 people, time $90 pp for the Westin Ferry. This info just saved me/us a bunch of money!
Be sure to check with the rental agency.....not all allow u to take the car over - and yes, with 13 peeps, this is the way to go.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Fantastic! I knew there was a reason I haven't been to WSJ yet... :)
after a big rain - mosquitos... but also could be noseeums - a type of gnat -but aka as sand fleas (because that is where they will bite) - these buggers are worse IMO

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Regarding the Westin ferry, it is currently out of commission, so regardless, you get shuttled via public taxi to Red Hook and water taxied to Westin. They are still happy to collect your $85 - an issue I'm going to take up with the front desk before I leave.
-tim

Why is the Westin Ferry out of commission? We leave Saturday and I was so looking forward not to hassle with Red Hook. Should I cancel my reservation?

Carolyn

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is the Westin Ferry out of commission? We leave Saturday and I was so looking forward not to hassle with Red Hook. Should I cancel my reservation?

Carolyn

I've got good news for you Carolyn. They put it back in commission on Saturday - the day I left. They couldn't tell me why it was out of commission, but I got the feeling it was a mechanical issue.

-tim

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Also if you bring a car over from STT and it breaks down on STJ, the rental car agency will not come over to STJ...you're on your own. Be aware that traffic on STT, just to get to the ferry, is crazy PLUS you are driving on the left. Just some things to think about.

Carolyn