• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At WKORN now - not in guaranteed room

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yesterday arrived at 2. Got to the room at 6. Yes I know check-in is at 4.

That’s not what it seems. Check out time is at 1. I don’t know Expect to be in the room, but expect to know what the room is and that it be what I’m deeded to.

It would’ve been fine to say here’s your room it’s not ready at 2 and have it be what I was deeded.

Let's be clear.

Arrival is at 4pm.
Departure is at 10am. Not 1pm.

Sometimes the rooms are available early, and sometimes they will let you have a late checkout. The Marriott perks for early checkin or late checkout are not available at the timeshare properties.

They are not supposed to tell you which unit you're in until it's ready and they are checking you in. If you ask, they might tell you which building. Obviously, if you're an owner and you reserved during your home resort reservation period, as you have claimed, then there should be no question of getting an ocean view unit.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I'm somewhat confused by some of the statements made. Some just don't add up.

If you have been to WKORVN multiple times over the years, why in the world do you say you had food spoiling for four hours? WKORVN bell staff is excellent at unloading your vehicle and storing the groceries in a walk-in fridge until you receive your room. Did you not utilize that service?

As far as not managing the flex system well, I don't believe that has any bearing. IIRC, only Island View rooms are in the flex program. By the way, do you also own Westin Flex?

Check-out time is not 1:00 pm. Check-out time is 10:00 am. In most cases of high occupancy, only a 5-Star Elite is going to get a check-out time after 10:00 am and then only until 12:00 noon.

If the 18-month old and 4-year old were hungry, why didn't you go to Pailolo or Auntie's Kitchen and get some food? There is no way I would sit in the lobby for four hours.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
As far as not managing the flex system well, I don't believe that has any bearing. IIRC, only Island View rooms are in the flex program. By the way, do you also own Westin Flex?

I think they do have some OV properties in there as well. There have been reports of WF owners getting confirmations with OV.

Regardless, it is simply unacceptable to place an owner in a non-deeded view category.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I think they do have some OV properties in there as well. There have been reports of WF owners getting confirmations with OV.

Regardless, it is simply unacceptable to place an owner in a non-deeded view category.

I agree with the unacceptable status. I own Westin Flex and I've only seen IV during the Home Resort Reservation period. However, I'm able to reserve OF and OV during the StarOption reservation period.

If OP also owned Westin Flex, I wonder if he could have accidentally made a Flex reservation instead of a week reservation? That's also why I asked if he owned Flex.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this post brings up a very interesting topic, the confusion that exists out there that Bonvoy status will yield favors at the timeshare resorts. A friend of mine, Titanium elite, was showing me pictures of a very nice suite he was upgraded to at a Marriott hotel in the Nappa Valey. That just does not happen in a timeshare resort, or it happens very very rarely. First of all the occupancy rate of a timeshare is much higher than in a hotel and outside the silver seasons they are at or close to capacity.
Secondly, there are deeded owners at a resort that are entitled to a certain size, view etc, those are just not available for upgrades. Concerning the early check in, late check out, a different story again. At a TS, most check ins are SAT or SUN. It is just not humanly possible to clean up that many rooms at the same time when two thirds of the resort comes and leaves those 2 days of the week, especially since the units have kitchens and they need to be cleaned well. Fourthly, at the regular hotels, there is a relatively low % of guests that have a certain loyalty level. Not the case at a Vistana TS where virtually all owners (at least those that bought retail) are at least Gold elite.

Last edited:

maph

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, where can I find the owners handbook. Is it readily accessible on the owners dashboard?

Thanks,
Chris

In the Dashboard, there is a tab for 'Owners Association' - select it then select
'Governing Documents'
select the ownership unit you want to see
'Association Information'
'Governing Documents'

after doing all that, the Owner's Handbook comes up as a pdf file. There may be a quicker way, but that's what works for me.

There used to be, hopefully still is, an onsite owner services person that you could make an appointment to see. He might be able to help you sort this out if the manager route isn't happening.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems you arrived early and expected a room available...oops.

BTW, if you pushed them to get you a room at 6 that may be why you ended up in the unit you have and not an OV unit.

I've only quoted 2 parts of Ken's post, but these seem really different to me. If you arrive before check-in, all you can do is ask nicely as maybe yours was done first.

Two hours after the published check-in time, the correct room should be ready. Not a different room so we can get you in now, and not almost ready. 2 hours past check-in is unacceptable, imo.

I don't know what the deal is with the OPs view category, but I find the fact that they weren't ready on time to be believable, because they have been consistently not ready on time for my reservations.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I've only quoted 2 parts of Ken's post, but these seem really different to me. If you arrive before check-in, all you can do is ask nicely as maybe yours was done first.

Two hours after the published check-in time, the correct room should be ready. Not a different room so we can get you in now, and not almost ready. 2 hours past check-in is unacceptable, imo.

I don't know what the deal is with the OPs view category, but I find the fact that they weren't ready on time to be believable, because they have been consistently not ready on time for my reservations.

Exactly. FWIW, I’ve had a similar experience where I had to wait past 4pm for my unit, though IIRC it was ready around 5 or 5:15. It probably happens more often than we think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think this post brings up a very interesting topic, the confusion that exists out there that Bonvoy status will yield favors at the timeshare resorts. A friend of mine, Titanium elite, was showing me pictures of a very nice suite he was upgraded to at a Marriott hotel in the Nappa Valey. That just does not happen in a timeshare resort, or it happens very very rarely. First of all the occupancy rate of a timeshare is much higher than in a hotel and outside the silver seasons they are at or close to capacity.
Secondly, there are deeded owners at a resort that are entitled to a certain size, view etc, those are just not available for upgrades. Concerning the early check in, late check out, a different story again. At a TS, most check ins are SAT or SUN. It is just not humanly possible to clean up that many rooms at the same time when two thirds of the resort comes and leaves those 2 days of the week, especially since the units have kitchens and they need to be cleaned well. Fourthly, at the regular hotels, there is a relatively low % of guests that have a certain loyalty level. Not the case at a Vistana TS where virtually all owners (at least those that bought retail) are at least Gold elite.

Sorry, nothing new. This has been discussed for well over a decade on TUG and it’s all about incorrect expectations. I don’t find this interesting at all, and yes, I’m surprised I’m defending the resort. Sure, there’s lots of confusion especially amongst elites who don’t frequently visit timeshares and expect/demand “better”.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. FWIW, I’ve had a similar experience where I had to wait past 4pm for my unit, though IIRC it was ready around 5 or 5:15. It probably happens more often than we think.

I've been consistently past 4 but never past 5:15. Not a huge sample size, but I think it's probably pretty common. My trips have been mostly lower season as well.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I've been consistently past 4 but never past 5:15. Not a huge sample size, but I think it's probably pretty common. My trips have been mostly lower season as well.

Exactly. I’m also typically traveling only during low(er) season.

We also know that they have a housekeeping shortage. We have had other threads that included the info that some of their staff are contractors and I can vouch for that since I had a nice conversation with one of them a year or so ago.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, nothing new. This has been discussed for well over a decade on TUG and it’s all about incorrect expectations. I don’t find this interesting at all, and yes, I’m surprised I’m defending the resort. Sure, there’s lots of confusion especially amongst elites who don’t frequently visit timeshares and expect/demand “better”.

Maybe it has been discussed before but I think because of the consolidations Marriott- Starwood and MVW - ILG, there is just a much higher number of guests whose expectations are not met even when the resorts have done nothing wrong. This may lead to frustrated resort staff because they have to deal with an increased number of complaints and this may lead to a lower level of service for everyone.

I was reading some negative Tripadvisor reviews for Vistana resorts. Many of them start with "I am titanium elite and ...." One of them was blaming the resort for not reimbursing him for a trip he could not make even though he had made a non-cancelable booking through Expedia!

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
These are all good points. For those of us who travel enough to get top-level elite status the hard way (actual travel, nights stayed, cash spent) we get spoiled by the generally excellent treatment we get from hotels, airlines etc. I've had outstanding upgrades from my Titanium Elite status with Marriott this past year and have on more than one occasion had the manager of the hotel greet me at the car and walk me up to the suite for check-in (for a lowly $200/night rate). I don't expect this every time, but when it does happen it is appreciated.

On the time-share side I definitely don't expect this. I do expect to be put in a clean room in the view category I booked. If the room is ready early that is gravy. I find that when things go sideways (hotel, timeshare, airline) the best thing to do is be humble, talk with a firm but controlled voice in a friendly tone and never refer to my status unless it is with a senior manager who will actually care about that.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Maybe it has been discussed before but I think because of the consolidations Marriott- Starwood and MVW - ILG, there is just a much higher number of guests whose expectations are not met although the resorts have done nothing wrong. This may lead to a frustrated resort staff because they have to deal with an increase number of complains and a lower level of service for everyone as a consequence.

I was reading some negative Tripadvisor reviews for Vistana resorts. Many of them start with "I am titanium elite and ...." One of them was blaming the resort for not reimbursing him for a trip he could not make even though he had made a non-cancelable booking through Expedia!

Perhaps, but really this is nothing new. Also, I believe even Marriott timeshares don’t respect hotel elite benefits.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, but really this is nothing new. Also, I believe even Marriott timeshares don’t respect hotel elite benefits.

how many topics are completely new exactly? Do you care to respond to all of those that are not?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
how many topics are completely new exactly? Do you care to respond to all of those that are not?

No, but there was a time we routinely searched TUG before posting. Those days are gone, it seems. I’ll try to refrain from posting this again, and you can pretend everything is interesting and new.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sorry to hear of your issues.
It is unacceptable that you did not get what you paid for. Esp given how expensive MF is at this resort. As an owner you should be treated like royalty - you paid far more than any elite did in the hotel system.

FWIW...We were at WKORVN in late June during busy season. No complaints. Check-in and valet was immediate and courteous. Got a fantastic OF room. This was our first visit so perhaps beginners luck?

Last edited:

echino

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I once rented a WKORVN week 52 from an Island View owner and was put in a unit that was categorized Oceanfront. No status. I have no idea how and why it happened, but it did. The question is, given a very busy week 52, what happened to someone who had an Oceanfront reservation? Were they downgraded?
IMG_20141231_180726.jpg

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I once rented a WKORVN week 52 from an Island View owner and was put in a unit that was categorized Oceanfront. No status. I have no idea how and why it happened, but it did. The question is, given a very busy week 52, what happened to someone who had an Oceanfront reservation? Were they downgraded?
View attachment 13240

They probably didn’t reserve in time, and you got lucky.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I am top tier status with Hilton. It’s not that the time share resorts need to recognize our status. The point is if we travel for a living and have status we don’t need to stay in a timeshare at all if we are not going to get what we payed for. In Maui if I felt I wasn’t getting treated like an ocean view owner should (meaning basic courtesy, and getting the right room at the 4:00 o’clock check in time) than whats the point of owning. I can just open the Hilton app book myself into the Waldorf Astoria Grand Wailia and get treated like royalty.

When in a time share I want to be treated with courtesy and respect and given the room that I am booked in. When staying in a hotel I want the same thing and if an upgrade is a available I will be grateful and accept it. No reason any owner should have to put up with rudeness.

Mr. Fish makes a good point. He has other options and if Westin is not treating him like an owner than he can sell his weeks and take his business elsewhere. I agree that I read about hotel people complaining in reviews about timeshares. But it’s Apple and oranges and the most valid main point Mr Fish is making is that the service has gone down hill and is not what it used to be. As a long time owner he should be able to expect consistency in service and maybe one bad trip you let it go but now it’s two ina row and that’s a trend that he finds unacceptable.

I think bringing up his status made some of us cautious about the post but forgot the status thing and focus on the service and check in time. They are either giving people the right rooms by 4:00 or thier not. If not than WKORN deserves the bad reviews and posts

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Now that folks have validated I’m not in my deeded property with 11 month out booking, What should I do/expect?

anks
I'd follow up with the person who said he would get back to you at the resort. Hopefully they will have a resolution. If that doesn't work then I'd ask to leave a message for the GM since they are not available.

If this does not yield satisfaction, I would then call owner resolution services. Same number as the call center, but be specific in stating that you need to speak to resolution services as the level 1 agent wont be able to do much.

I also concur with you that wait times to check in around the 4pm time period is less than stellar. It took me over 20 minutes to check in to our 2nd room yesterday.

Ryan

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, but there was a time we routinely searched TUG before posting. Those days are gone, it seems. I’ll try to refrain from posting this again, and you can pretend everything is interesting and new.

How many times have you posted that SDO was a good trader? Oh, good old times when something was said just 100,000 times! How exciting.
Sorry I broke the protocol

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hotel loyalty status via Marriott Bonvoy is different than the VSN Elite Status via Vistana (link).

For Vistana owners, the Bonvoy benefits during your timeshare stay are described
  1. On the resort webpage, the link can be found under the “Owner Policies & Conditions” link
  2. In Vistana’s email confirmation, the link to the “Owner Policies & Conditions” Page is provided multiple times
Here’s a link to WKORN’s “Owner Policies & Conditions” Page - https://www.vistana.com/destination...-villas-north/terms-conditions#bonvoyBenefits
45557F47-2A79-47C4-9DBD-0CC43B588E13.jpeg 9BD53047-09E6-41EB-8C16-78C5B8F4699F.jpeg

For Hotel Loyalty members, the hotel based timeshare systems address their limitation/exception rules for timeshare property stays under their Terms and Conditions.

The following is from the Marriott Bonvoy Terms and Conditions Page
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

7.2.b Vistana Participating Properties. Due to the nature of Vistana properties, special conditions apply to their participation in the Loyalty Program as follows:

i. Members will earn Elite Night Credit for a Qualifying Stay at Vistana properties.

ii. Members will earn Points or Miles for all Qualifying Charges at Vistana properties.

iii. Members do not receive the following benefits (as defined in Section 4) at Vistana properties: Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrades, late checkout, Suite Night Awards, Gift Shop Discount, Guaranteed Room Type, Marriott Bonvoy Events, 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability, Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, or Your24.

iv. Free Night Awards at Vistana properties must be booked at least one (1) day in advance of arrival.

v. Instant Redemption Awards are not available at Vistana properties.

7.1.c Due to the nature of Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties, the following special conditions apply to their participation in the Loyalty Program:

i. Members will earn Elite Night Credit for a Qualifying Stay at Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties, and for stays at Participating Properties as part of the MVC Exchange Program (e.g. City Explorer).

ii. Members will earn Points or Miles for all Qualifying Charges at Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties.

iii.
Members do not receive the following benefits (as defined in Section 4) at Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott Grand Residence Club properties: Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrades, late checkout, Suite Night Awards, Guaranteed Room Type, 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability, Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, or Your24.

iv. Free Night Awards at Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties must be booked at least one (1) day in advance of arrival. Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties either do not participate or do not fully participate in the “No Blackout Dates” benefit at this time.

v. Instant Redemption Awards are not available at Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott Grand Residence Club properties.

vi. Points acquired through ownership of an interest at a Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott Grand Residence Club property may not be used to request an Award Redemption Stay reservation at a Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club or Vistana property.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks. Hopefully I’ll hear back from him tomorrow.

Scouting the site. Found the Vistana rules but not each property. No reference to policy when deeded room is unavailable.

Please report back on the outcome.