• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At WKORN now - not in guaranteed room

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORN, Westin Princeville
All,

I’ve been an owner at WKORN since before it broke ground. I own a EOY OV property and booked my reservation 11 months in advance.

Unfortunately, this stay I’m in a deeded island view room. The GM is not in duty and the front desk staff was not very helpful.

What recourse do I have? I know as a titanium elite member at Marriott I’d be given $100 and be booked into a comparable room at a nearby property if they had one but I don’t see any thing in the room guarantee.

This is the second time I’m in island view. Last time we didn’t book 8 months in advance and I accepted that. This time It’s enough.

We’re planning on visiting syed to sell as I’ve got more than 2 million Starwood points and would rather stay at places that will recognizes status.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What building/floor is your villa in? Just want to verify it isn't a situation where what is deeded OV vs what looks more like IV. Sometimes a deeded view is different than the actual view you see off the patio.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your status doesn't matter at any of the Vistana branded properties (other than point multipliers, etc.), at least with the pre-merger rules. So the fact that you are titanium plat is of no use and not relevant IMHO.

What is relevant is that you booked 11 months in advance and didnt receive your deeded view. I would be upset as well. What was the staff's response? Did they state that the room you were assigned matched your deeded view? Or did they give you some other excuse?

I'd call the call center on Monday and ask for owner resolution services if you can't get it resolved at the resort level. That would be a start to kicking it up the chain if the "GM is not available". Frankly, that's a lame excuse - there should be some other manager that can make decisions if the GM is on vacation or away.

Good luck.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Talk with any manager, it doesn't have to be the GM.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
1st post and joined TUG today - these posts can often be responded to with some skepticism.

What villa number are you in? I can look it up and confirm if needed.
Not getting deeded View is wrong and needs resolve.
You MAR status has little value at VSE resort - that is status for hotels and not a VSE Timeshare.

You do not have Starwood points (StarPoints) as they no longer exist - they are now Marriott points.
You should be aware of this - a 3:1 exchange of SPs to MPs happened last year.

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
7561 per the attached map is IV.

The first manager that took over 2 hours to speak to was very unhelpful and gave me the whole there’s nothing I can do speech.

A director came out afterwards and was much more helpful. He’s saying I should have a better room this evening.

My wife is through with this. The point of the titanium elite is that this timeshare has no value to our family. We can stay anywhere at this point and be treated exceptionally well. We come to our timeshare where we’ve been original owners forever and spend hours waiting for a manager who was inconsiderate and unhelpful.

If we can’t get into our own deeded property what’s the point?

On top of this, we had to sit in the car for over 20 minutes in the valet turn around. The front desk was extremely understaffed and when we called down to get our car brought up this morning, the at your service agent failed to pass on our information. We weren’t the only people upset with the check-in process.

I know there are a lot of people who love this property. And that used to be me as well. The first 5-6 years were outstanding and I’ve stayed in a lot of great and different rooms. But since our last two visits the quality of service is on a major decline (outside of the director Dylan, who hopefully will come through today), we’ve decided to switch to DVC and will be selling all our Vistana inventory this week.

If there’s some magical benefit I’m missing, or that I haven’t yet received, I’m all ears. But when you plan a vacation with the family for over a year you’d expect to be treated a tad better. At least get what you’ve paid for.

Attachments

• AD8F2080-8127-4C82-8D3F-2D5DCBB67EB1.png
    AD8F2080-8127-4C82-8D3F-2D5DCBB67EB1.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 89

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
EFBC6875-FFDA-4545-91CE-2855485BA849.jpeg
055CC33B-DB9A-4F20-894B-B3EB7D8F354C.jpeg
1st post and joined TUG today - these posts can often be responded to with some skepticism.

What villa number are you in? I can look it up and confirm if needed.
Not getting deeded View is wrong and needs resolve.
You MAR status has little value at VSE resort - that is status for hotels and not a VSE Timeshare.

You do not have Starwood points (StarPoints) as they no longer exist - they are now Marriott points.
You should be aware of this - a 3:1 exchange of SPs to MPs happened last year.
Excuse me. My Bonvoy points are attached.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That location may actually be classified as OV. I don’t recall exactly. We had a thread recently which had the specifics. I recall that floors 3-6 in building 7, at least on the north side, was considered OV.

Your Marriott status is completely irrelevant at VSN properties. As a long time owner, you know this. But it’s clear your expectations are not set correctly for this property.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My expectations are based on prior experiences.

I guess I’ll have to reset my expectations that waiting more than 20 minutes for a valet, not getting the right room and then waiting more than 45 to speak to a manager who is rude and over four hours in the lobby to get to a room when you have food spoiling and an 18 month old and a 4-year old hungry and over tired from a long day of flying is the appropriate experience.

Is that what I should be expecting? Ken should other owners be expecting this?

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What building/floor is your villa in? Just want to verify it isn't a situation where what is deeded OV vs what looks more like IV. Sometimes a deeded view is different than the actual view you see off the patio.
Put in the reply below. Love to get some constructive insight. Also would be great for the the front desk staff to have this information as well.

maph

TUG Member
Reaction score

I guess I’ll have to reset my expectations that waiting more than 20 minutes for a valet, not getting the right room and then waiting more than 45 to speak to a manager who is rude and over four hours in the lobby to get to a room when you have food spoiling and an 18 month old and a 4-year old hungry and over tired from a long day of flying is the appropriate experience.

According to Page 35 of the Owners Handbook room 7561 is an Island View unit & you are right to complain about your placement if you booked in 8-12 month window.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

You’re new here. You have no idea what I’ve posted in the past about these issues or else you wouldn’t ask that question. You’re looking for sympathy but you lost mine when you obviously think your Marriott status means something at this resort. Try again...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Also, what time of day did you check in? When did the four hours of waiting start?

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn’t say that it mattered here.

It was why stay here if being an owner doesn’t matter?

When I check into a Marriott I get treated well. Thank you for your attending our property we appreciate your status.

When I spent forever checking in here there was no thank you for being an original owner. Ooh I see you booked 11 months in advance we’ve reserved a nice room for you. We appreciate your years of patronage to our property.

Instead it’s really kiss off. Oh you want to speak to a manager why don’t you wait here for someone to be rude and unhelpful while you’re kids breakdown from exhaustion.

Again. This is not what I’ve experienced in my early years here. And not getting my deeded property is unacceptable.

But somehow I have the wrong expectations about what I should expect?

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, what time of day did you check in? When did the four hours of waiting start?

Yesterday arrived at 2. Got to the room at 6. Yes I know check-in is at 4.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Getting an IV when you have an OV deed when the reserving process was upheld (Reserve >8 months w/o modification) is inexcusable. I would be pissed as well. The rest of the stuff... I guess it is the eye of the beholder.

My visits to WKORV have been great every year, but my bar for satisfaction may be lower. That happens with WSJ often.

My comment about 1st post - was just that based on years of TUG experience. Please feel free to join the conversations, but please realize our views based on years of learning, discovering, listening, and evolving as the system changes.

I was just pointing out that there are no longer SPs - they were converted to Bonvoy points (MRPs or whatever they are called) at 1 SP to 3MPs. I no longer carry them - used my SPs. You shouldn’t hold onto them - they devalue quickly.
Enjoy the Hotels - we prefer Timeshares.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say check-in at the Westin resorts on Maui has been sub-par for years. It takes forever, the desk staff aren't very friendly and the rooms are often not ready by published check in. It is by far the worst part of an otherwise very great set of resorts. I just set my expectations for check in low and enjoy the resort.

If you didn't get your deeded view that is a totally different thing however. If you are a deeded ocean view owner who booked more than 8 months out you should absolutely only be in an ocean view room (deeded ocean view).

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Dave. I appreciate where you are coming from. And yes, I’ve had wonderful experiences here. Just this and our prior one (October Low season) haven’t been up to.

I’ve kept on eye on tug for awhile trying to understand the system and changes. Just didn’t post until now because I didn’t know what the recourse was when you aren’t given a room you are deeded for. The policies aren’t listed anywhere.

Other parts of marriott are really transparent.

Separately, I was hoping someone here had also experienced this and would say hey call this person or hey this what the policy is.

From talking to timeshare resellers it sounds like they are overbooked and not managing the new flex system well. Between flex, home ownership (not sure what this is called) and Marriott inventory it’s an increasing challenge especially during the high-season.

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Now that folks have validated I’m not in my deeded property with 11 month out booking, What should I do/expect?

I would say check-in at the Westin resorts on Maui has been sub-par for years. It takes forever, the desk staff aren't very friendly and the rooms are often not ready by published check in. It is by far the worst part of an otherwise very great set of resorts. I just set my expectations for check in low and enjoy the resort.

If you didn't get your deeded view that is a totally different thing however. If you are a deeded ocean view owner who booked more than 8 months out you should absolutely only be in an ocean view room (deeded ocean view).
anks

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey, where can I find the owners handbook. Is it readily accessible on the owners dashboard?

Thanks,
Chris

According to Page 35 of the Owners Handbook room 7561 is an Island View unit & you are right to complain about your placement if you booked in 8-12 month window.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I didn’t say that it mattered here.

It was why stay here if being an owner doesn’t matter?

When I check into a Marriott I get treated well. Thank you for your attending our property we appreciate your status.

When I spent forever checking in here there was no thank you for being an original owner. Ooh I see you booked 11 months in advance we’ve reserved a nice room for you. We appreciate your years of patronage to our property.

Instead it’s really kiss off. Oh you want to speak to a manager why don’t you wait here for someone to be rude and unhelpful while you’re kids breakdown from exhaustion.

Again. This is not what I’ve experienced in my early years here. And not getting my deeded property is unacceptable.

But somehow I have the wrong expectations about what I should expect?

Well, it seems you arrived early and expected a room available...oops.

As for front desk reception in Maui... I’ve been critical of them for years. I’ve posted about it here for years. You’re not saying anything new, but because you’re titanium and an original owner you expect more...well, that’s not going to get you far. This is one of those many reasons why I keep saying buying resale is better...after all, why spend more and get the same as others?

In regards to deeded weeks and view, obviously you should demand better. If you’re not in an OV unit then they need to explain this to your satisfaction. I’d also get Orlando involved. The Maui resorts have a lot of staffing issues, and have for years.

BTW, if you pushed them to get you a room at 6 that may be why you ended up in the unit you have and not an OV unit. It could be that they were simply prioritizing getting you a room vs your view. Of course, they don’t always tell you they’re doing this...

Welcome to TUG.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hey, where can I find the owners handbook. Is it readily accessible on the owners dashboard?

Thanks,
Chris

It used to be on the Dashboard - go to the specific HOA and governing docs should be there (or used to be). I have a CD and e-copy of the WKORVN Owners Manual, but not an Owner so I cant see on dashboard. I checked Vistana - the governing docs are there (under Governing Docs).

You are there on a very busy week - iirc correctly the 1st week in Aug is an Asian holiday week.
As you probably know - best to reserve super high season weeks at exactly 12 months. So they may be trying to accomadate, but that is no excuse. If Flex folks are squeezing ourpt deeded Owners - that is an issue that TUG can get behind for clarity. If yours is an example of that - you are the first to report this. In fact, I don’t think I recall anyone reporting that they received a lesser view (only higher).

I would speak to the GM about this.

Last edited:

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s not what it seems. Check out time is at 1. I don’t know Expect to be in the room, but expect to know what the room is and that it be what I’m deeded to.

It would’ve been fine to say here’s your room it’s not ready at 2 and have it be what I was deeded.

Well, it seems you arrived early and expected a room available...oops.

As for front desk reception in Maui... I’ve been critical of them for years. I’ve posted about it here for years. You’re not saying anything new, but because you’re titanium and an original owner you expect more...well, that’s not going to get you far. This is one of those many reasons why I keep saying buying resale is better...after all, why spend more and get the same as others?

In regards to deeded weeks and view, obviously you should demand better. If you’re not in an OV unit then they need to explain this to your satisfaction. I’d also get Orlando involved. The Maui resorts have a lot of staffing issues, and have for years.

BTW, if you pushed them to get you a room at 6 that may be why you ended up in the unit you have and not an OV unit. It could be that they were simply prioritizing getting you a room vs your view. Of course, they don’t always tell you they’re doing this...

Welcome to TUG.

Sent from my iPad using Tap

MrFish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Hopefully I’ll hear back from him tomorrow.

Scouting the site. Found the Vistana rules but not each property. No reference to policy when deeded room is unavailable.

It used to be on the Dashboard - go to the specific HOA and governing docs should be there (or used to be). I have a CD and e-copy of the WKORVN Owners Manual, but not an Owner so I cant see on dashboard. I checked Vistana - the governing docs are there (under Governing Docs).

You are there on a very busy week - iirc correctly the 1st week in Aug is an Asian holiday week.
As you probably know - best to reserve super high season weeks at exactly 12 months. So they may be trying to accomadate, but that is no excuse. If Flex folks are squeezing ourpt deeded Owners - that is an issue that TUG can get behind for clarity. If yours is an example of that - you are the first to report this. In fact, I don’t think I recall anyone reporting that they received a lesser view (only higher).

I would speak to the GM about this.