• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you changing your travel plans long-term because of COVID-19?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Perhaps but talking to people in our neighborhood I'd say at least 75% of them are saying they won't get the COVID-19 vaccine until it's been on the market for at least one year. They're afraid the rush to find a vaccine will lead to companies and regulators cutting corners on safety.

I hate to even mention this, but I recall a time (under far different circumstances) when Thalidomide was offered as a drug to cure pregnancy related nausea. I want to hope medical science (and safeguards) have advanced a long way since then, but the greed of big business (AKA Big Pharma) is still with us.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to have a lot better information in order for me to make better informed decisions. Most states are now including 'probable' in addition to the confirmed cases. Some of the cases being considered 'probable' are very suspect. "Science' should not includes 'probable' assumptions with confirmed test results. I can't find a source for Ohio that only shows confirmed cases. Additionally, it is very difficult to find any information regarding how many cases actually have symptoms, how serious they are, and how long they last. I live in a 'red' county in Ohio, but none of my family or contacts know anyone who has gotten Covid 19. We have a friend who was in the hospital in March with pneumonia (from a strep infection) who was tested every day. Despite never having a positive test, the hospital listed him as having Covid because it received higher reimbursement. I am becoming more skeptical because only the negative data are being presented. Why doesn't anyone consistently report statistics regarding how many people get sick, and what % are hospitalized? Why don't states report what % of deaths are in institutions (nursing homes, prisons, etc)?

I consider Covid 19 to be a serious and contagious disease and will continue to take precautions, wear masks when it makes sense, and avoid large crowds. However, I'm not shutting my life down until there is a vaccine. I continue my workouts in a clean gym and will go on vacation as long as the trip doesn't expose me to a greater risk than staying home. I've spent my career utilizing statistics to make decisions, but I trusted the sources and methods regarding how those statistics were generated. I really don't trust the integrity of the data that is currently being provided to the general public.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Your position makes a lot of sense...agree 100% with your last sentence.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I live in a 'red' county in Ohio, but none of my family or contacts know anyone who has gotten Covid 19.

My cousin in Ohio just tested positive for C19.

The data is far from perfect, but it's better than nothing. Sadly, the numbers in Ohio are growing.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
I would like to have a lot better information in order for me to make better informed decisions. Most states are now including 'probable' in addition to the confirmed cases. Some of the cases being considered 'probable' are very suspect. "Science' should not includes 'probable' assumptions with confirmed test results. I can't find a source for Ohio that only shows confirmed cases. Additionally, it is very difficult to find any information regarding how many cases actually have symptoms, how serious they are, and how long they last. I live in a 'red' county in Ohio, but none of my family or contacts know anyone who has gotten Covid 19. We have a friend who was in the hospital in March with pneumonia (from a strep infection) who was tested every day. Despite never having a positive test, the hospital listed him as having Covid because it received higher reimbursement. I am becoming more skeptical because only the negative data are being presented. Why doesn't anyone consistently report statistics regarding how many people get sick, and what % are hospitalized? Why don't states report what % of deaths are in institutions (nursing homes, prisons, etc)?

I consider Covid 19 to be a serious and contagious disease and will continue to take precautions, wear masks when it makes sense, and avoid large crowds. However, I'm not shutting my life down until there is a vaccine. I continue my workouts in a clean gym and will go on vacation as long as the trip doesn't expose me to a greater risk than staying home. I've spent my career utilizing statistics to make decisions, but I trusted the sources and methods regarding how those statistics were generated. I really don't trust the integrity of the data that is currently being provided to the general public.
I agree 100% with your analysis.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

You have summed up my position on this whole thing .

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
My cousin in Ohio just tested positive for C19.

The data is far from perfect, but it's better than nothing. Sadly, the numbers in Ohio are growing.

Thanks for the data source. This is much more comprehensive than what is reported. It is interesting that they made a big deal today about the record number of new confirmed or probable new cases, but they failed to mention that over 43000 tests were done, compared to less 1000-20000 tests per day for the past 7 days. The confirmed positive rate was 2.7% of total tested, which isn't nearly as concerning as what has been reported. This is the highest number of tests done in a day in Ohio. I don't understand why the complete picture is never reported. I also read that anyone who has had contact with a confirmed positive case is considered to be 'probable', but I don't trust anything I read on either side.

I hope your cousin is one of the lucky ones with no/mild symptoms and recovers quickly. Does your cousin have any ideas regarding how they were exposed?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this on Twitter this morning and this is why I’m skeptical of news I see on “any side” of the reporting.....

One reporter runs with a questionable statement and the public pounces.

Another reporter takes the time to fact-check the story and he gets all but ignored.

And people wonder why there’s so much distrust in the media (as well as rampant misinformation.)

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How is the weekend going (thus far) @Cornell?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite COVID-19 source has become The COVID Tracking Project which under 'Our Data', 'Our Charts' has nice graphs of daily tests, cases, hospitalizations, and deaths - both for the US as a whole and state by state. The data sources are primarily state and local websites but you can look under 'About the data' for full details.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite COVID-19 source has become The COVID Tracking Project which under 'Our Data', 'Our Charts' has nice graphs of daily tests, cases, hospitalizations, and deaths - both for the US as a whole and state by state. The data sources are primarily state and local websites but you can look under 'About the data' for full details.
Thanks for sharing. The information is pretty comprehensive and it is a great resource when deciding when or where to travel. I don't understand why none of these data sources track the trend for % positive new cases/% Tested that day. This trend would be much more helpful than just looking at the total new cases, especially as a more representative sample of people are tested (not just those with symptoms). The Cincinnati paper's headline was 'Daily new case record in Ohio' without mentioning the actual % positive tests was only 2.7% which was lower than most previous days. I just wish our news sources would present the total picture, not just the numbers to try to scare people into a frenzy.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
Thanks for sharing. The information is pretty comprehensive and it is a great resource when deciding when or where to travel. I don't understand why none of these data sources track the trend for % positive new cases/% Tested that day. This trend would be much more helpful than just looking at the total new cases, especially as a more representative sample of people are tested (not just those with symptoms). The Cincinnati paper's headline was 'Daily new case record in Ohio' without mentioning the actual % positive tests was only 2.7% which was lower than most previous days. I just wish our news sources would present the total picture, not just the numbers to try to scare people into a frenzy.
It almost seems like the news sources are trying to increase the level of fear and paranoia. Statistics are only meaningful if you are able to look at all the data and interpret it in a way to accurately describe what the numbers mean. In this case, yes, positive cases are up but so is the testing. And questions of who, where, why and looking at hospitalizations and death rates need to be evaluated as well.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. The information is pretty comprehensive and it is a great resource when deciding when or where to travel. I don't understand why none of these data sources track the trend for % positive new cases...
You are most welcome. I use CovidActNow which partners with the Stanford and Georgetown University Medical Centers to see %positives per test and %ICU utilization by state and county but as you say it only gives me the data for 'today' and not over time. The South Carolina state COVID 'dashboard' is quite good and gives trendlines for many things including %positives per test and ICU utilization. As for Florida, Rebekah Jones - the woman fired for putting Florida's COVID-19 data on Florida's COVID-19 public dashboard - has since created a new dashboard to track the disease within the state. It's a little weird in that much of the useful data is 'hidden' and you have to click on the various tabs along the bottom but once you get the hang of it the website is very informative. It also allows you to get data by county.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In this case, yes, positive cases are up but so is the testing.
Sadly, testing has been flat for the past week or so but cases continue to skyrocket. Hospitalizations have been rising since around June 20th and even more sadly deaths are once again on the rise (not terribly surprising since they tend to be a 2-3 week trailing indicator from hospitalizations). But the 'news of the day' is that hospitalizations increased yesterday from 43,895 to 54,544. A one day increase of 10,649 - a new record.