• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you changing your travel plans long-term because of COVID-19?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Although we are rearranging our early May Sedona/Santa Fe/Scottsdale trip to Sept/early Oct, I am not sure we want to be traveling out of state with a possible fall resurgence of the virus. I always have difficulties breathing in Santa Fe anyway (fine during the day, can't breathe or sleep at night), so may be best to skip the annual trip this year. Still hoping to spend a week at Carlsbad Beach Resort at the end of October.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had to cancel St Thomas for end of April, but we then booked for Oceana Palms in June since it’s drivable for us. We were fortunate that half of our air tickets were reward tix which were refunded with the fees. Then due to a major schedule change, our paid tix were refunded too, so that was not so painful. We are optimists, but realize a June week may have to be cancelled and used later. It’s great that Marriott has extended the usage period.

We also decided to book St Kitts for September and take a chance on the weather and the virus being a non-issue by then. Used miles again for the air tix just in case....

We also have a cruise this summer that hasn’t been cancelled yet, but it’s paid for so we are waiting for them to cancel. We believe there’s a good chance there will be no cruising for quite a while, not just because ships are a hotbed of germs, but because ports will be closed.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We've sadly canceled our much-anticipated Alaska cruise planned for June. Don't think our planned trip to Italy in September will be viable either, but since we have time, I'm waiting to see what American Airlines does with our flights before cancelling everything. They just announced that both our flight into Venice and our flight home from Rome will not be restarted until 2021 at the earliest, and they will offer no AA service to Venice at all in 2020. I am hopeful that will be officially reflected as a cancellation in their system or a significant enough itinerary change that we can get a refund instead of a credit.

Still have Crystal Shores/Marco Island scheduled for November, so will have to see how that plays out. Planning four weeks in Hawaii for January/February 2021 using our ownership, but I suspect we'll still be dealing with this virus at some level even then, so we'll have to see what the world looks like later this year. Not booking flights until we see what the future holds. Also, not booking any other new travel until we see what the world health and economy looks like. We do have an advance deposit down on a Greek Isles cruise for September 2021, but have over a year until that has to be either paid or cancelled.

We bought a 2BR villa in Palmetto Dune on Hilton Head last fall and have spent the last four months renovating it totally. Contractor is putting the finishing touches on it next week and our main furniture items have already been delivered. Not sure when we'll be able to go there to use it though. :cry:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We've sadly canceled our much-anticipated Alaska cruise planned for June. Don't think our planned trip to Italy in September will be viable either, but since we have time, I'm waiting to see what American Airlines does with our flights before cancelling everything. They just announced that both our flight into Venice and our flight home from Rome will not be restarted until 2021 at the earliest, and they will offer no AA service to Venice at all in 2020. I am hopeful that will be officially reflected as a cancellation in their system or a significant enough itinerary change that we can get a refund instead of a credit.

If the flight is canceled you have a legal right to a refund. Don’t let them tell you otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
If the flight is canceled you have a legal right to a refund. Don’t let them tell you otherwise.

Yeah, I realize that. Since it's months away and they have OneWorld codeshares with other airlines, they could possibly try to re-route us on alternate flights and still get us to Italy and back, in theory, but if those itinerary changes result in a time differential of 61 minutes or more (they likely would), we should still have the right to a refund. I think it's totally unlikely we would feel comfortable traveling to Italy in September, so for now, waiting on AA to make the next move.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Driving trips only.
Staying in CA and Arz for the remainder of the year.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
For those still willing to travel by car, are you more concerned now than pre-C19 about the cleanliness of the hotel/resort? Are you considering cleaning it yourself upon arrival? What about the sheets and towels? Etc etc.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
For those still willing to travel by car, are you more concerned now than pre-C19 about the cleanliness of the hotel/resort? Are you considering cleaning it yourself upon arrival? What about the sheets and towels? Etc etc.

I do not plan to travel until covid-19 is under control. However, when I finally do travel, I will not worry about the cleanliness of the hotel or clean it myself. Life is a risk.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We cancelled a Viking Rhine river cruise in late August. We had to pay in full last September. (Viking’s policy requires final payment 30 days after booking.) We requested and received all but $100 each which was transferred to a Future Cruise Credit to be used by 12/31/21. It was a very expensive cruise and quite frankly I’m not sure Viking will be solvent by August if the virus is still impacting Europe. We have our air booked and we will wait and see what happens. Flying Delta, our outgoing flight has been cancelled through June 30. I think it’s likely that Delta will extend the cancellation of this flight thereby allowing us to receive a full refund.

We feel very fortunate to have been able to spend two weeks on Kauai, returning March 8...just before the world turned upside down. We have a 10 day Caribbean cruise booked for March 2021. Final payment is not due until Dec. Hopefully there will be clarity regarding travel by then. Again wondering if Princess will still be in business next March.

As far as other travel I would be very happy just to be able to see our grandchildren in person again! We were supposed to go to Arizona to see them two weeks ago. (Road trip) We cancelled because we didn’t want to risk getting the virus ourselves or unknowingly spreading it to them.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Good question. In the past we always used hydrogen peroxide wipe on all counters, tables, handles, switches, bathroom area when we first check in, whether it is at a hotel, resort or cruise cabin. We use hydrogen peroxide because that is the only thing that kills norovirus. I have not thought about bedsheets and towels.

We have 2 driving trips coming up but we won't go if COVID-19 is not resolved in one way or the other, whether an effective treatment or vaccine. We expect to lose a bunch of banked Star Options this year and several 5-night Marriott hotel certificates by next January. We are fortunate to have deposited a few weeks into II. We are also sitting on a huge number of Marriott Destination Club points which will expire in June 2021. Health is more important than losing sunk cost of paid vacation.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We cancelled a Viking Rhine river cruise in late August. We had to pay in full last September. (Viking’s policy requires final payment 30 days after booking.) We requested and received all but $100 each which was transferred to a Future Cruise Credit to be used by 12/31/21. It was a very expensive cruise and quite frankly I’m not sure Viking will be solvent by August if the virus is still impacting Europe.

We had a similar decision on our cancelled June Alaska cruise on Regent Seven Seas. We had to make full payment in February before the true severity of this in the US was known. We could have cancelled proactively under their special Cov19 program and received a 100% future cruise credit, or waited until Regent cancelled their June cruises (which they haven't done yet) and requested a full cash refund, but their current policy for the bulk cancellations is they don't have to pay you for up to 90 days under that option. They are part of NCL, which is the highest leveraged of all cruise lines, so if they waited until May to cancel the June cruises, then we might not get the refund until August. NCL might be in bankruptcy by then. We were still outside of 90 days from cruise date, so we could cancel under the original terms and conditions, accepting a 15% penalty (it rose to a 50% penalty three days later), so that's what we did, and we had our refund in 4 days. We decided getting 85% of our money back almost immediately was preferable to the uncertainty of waiting 90 days or more to get that extra 15%.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We had a similar decision on our cancelled June Alaska cruise on Regent Seven Seas. We had to make full payment in February before the true severity of this in the US was known. We could have cancelled proactively under their special Cov19 program and received a 100% future cruise credit, or waited until Regent cancelled their June cruises (which they haven't done yet) and requested a full cash refund, but their current policy for the bulk cancellations is they don't have to pay you for up to 90 days under that option. They are part of NCL, which is the highest leveraged of all cruise lines, so if they waited until May to cancel the June cruises, then we might not get the refund until August. NCL might be in bankruptcy by then. We were still outside of 90 days from cruise date, so we could cancel under the original terms and conditions, accepting a 15% penalty (it rose to a 50% penalty three days later), so that's what we did, and we had our refund in 4 days. We decided getting 85% of our money back almost immediately was preferable to the uncertainty of waiting 90 days or more to get that extra 15%.
Certainly appreciate that decision. Sometimes taking the loss is worse than potential additional losses down the road. Carnival recently went out and got over six billion in additional financing at 12%. They seem pretty heavily in debt now, but they have to somehow pay the bills. Estimates are that they burin about a billion a month, though their expenses will go down while they are shut down. I know several people that went out and brought up cruise stock since many of the lines offer perks for shareholders. We were tempted but I don't think we will take the gamble. The few hundred we would save after several cruises probably isn't worth the risk.

We have a cruise coming up in August on NCL. Final payment is at the end of this month. We won't be paying it and will cancel and get our deposit back. They are really just Cruise Next deposit certificates which won't expire for several years. Who knows, those may also be worthless when all is said and done. Of course, we have $1,400 in airfare tied up to get to that August NCL cruise. Here is hoping the airline cancels the flight, it is to the UK.

btoby61

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SRV, HICV
If the virus turns out to be somewhat seasonal (unknown) and things get a lot better in summer, we'd likely make a few trips, maybe Branson (holding account points), maybe Williamsburg. Branson we'd do if semi safe. Williamsburg would have to be safer due to flying and airports. Otherwise, likely no trips. Still planning on Palm Desert next Feb or so. Was going to Kenya this December, thinking it's not likely but have not given up just yet, could be a medical breakthrough you never know. But way less trips than last year, going to bank most everything for next year.
Hate to be Debbie Downer, but countries with warmer climates are not seeing drop off in infection rates..

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score

I will take along some Lysol spray and clean all the hard surfaces and wash my hands a lot. DH has had the virus for 10 days now and is on the mend. I am not showing signs of it, so I’m hoping the quarantine and hand washing and wiping down things is working. If I were to get it while at a timeshare, we would come back home because it’s no fun to be sick away from the comforts of home.

Life has to restart at some point.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now we have a trip planned for Ko'Olina in October because we want to see a sweet missionary we served with in Fiji before he returns there from his schooling. Not sure that is going to happen. I've traded and re-traded that same week via E-trade and regular trade several times (long story) through II and can't use it past 2/21 so I'm going to have to do something with it. In the end, we may just have to let it go.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
. . .
If I were to get it while at a timeshare, we would come back home because it’s no fun to be sick away from the comforts of home.

Life has to restart at some point.

Hopefully you would be within driving distance of home. Coming back home via air while with the virus would be irresponsible.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We cancelled a Viking Rhine river cruise in late August. We had to pay in full last September. (Viking’s policy requires final payment 30 days after booking.) We requested and received all but $100 each which was transferred to a Future Cruise Credit to be used by 12/31/21. It was a very expensive cruise and quite frankly I’m not sure Viking will be solvent by August if the virus is still impacting Europe. We have our air booked and we will wait and see what happens. Flying Delta, our outgoing flight has been cancelled through June 30. I think it’s likely that Delta will extend the cancellation of this flight thereby allowing us to receive a full refund.
We're scheduled for Viking Danube river cruise in late September. Yes, fully paid for, about $16k for a suite, including full insurance from Viking. We're still planning to go. Watched a message from the CEO of Viking the other day. He said they are entirely privately owned, had a great 2019, and intend to keep their full payroll while this plays out.

Just booked Hawaii for early November. Daughter was scheduled to get married in Hana over Memorial Weekend. Moved now to Nov. 7. So we used HGVC points and booked Hilton Hawaiian Village for a week before going over to Hana.

Still booked to play the British Senior Amateur golf tournament in Southeast England (Dover) at the end of July. Was planning to go a week early and visit some castles in Southern England. That's up in the air. Not sure the event will happen. Scheduled to fly Air Tahiti from LAX to Paris booked through American using miles. Who knows if that'll be viable.

And just scheduled two weeks in Hawaii for March/April 2021. If we're still dealing with COVID in a year we have a lot bigger problems to deal with than canceling vacations. :(

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll hopefully do a driving trip to Branson in late July / early August, Missouri is going to peak late. Assuming the models are close to correct, should be better than now. Don't mind driving too much, pretty low risk.

http://covid19.healthdata.org/

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We hope to make a reservation and travel as soon as possible. We had to cancel a planned trip to California for the end of March to see our son. We were also using points at Shadow Ridge and a 5 night certificate. We are really disappointed to miss it and every day wish we could be there, in better circumstances, of course. My job has put in a 14 day quarantine on return if I travel on a commercial airline so once that is lifted we hope to travel again. I am grateful that we are both able to work so we don't have to worry about finances but we were so looking forward to this trip.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We always use our fixed at floater weeks at our timeshares. They are in July/August/September.

Ironically this is the first year we did not take out travel insurance to cover the maintenance fees in case of cancellation, which I usually do in December. But I was involved with moving and had a lot of expenses and figured I’d save some money as we have never had to cancel in 20 years of ownership.

Not sure it would have covered a pandemic or the resort closing as a covered reason.

Meanwhile this was/is hopefully the last year of our Smuggs ownership as we applied for the Farewell Program and we cannot even deposit the weeks for a later exchange due to a requirement of the program. Not sure what will happen with that program now either.

So hoping we will be able to use them this year.

Other than that I am making no plans for the future as we don’t know what will be in life now.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Travelex would not have covered you unless you or someone in your party couldn't travel due to virus basically, i.e. you got it. If it was that insurance, you saved money AND aggravation. You were watching the videoconference today!

Not really sure about closures, I think it covers natural disaster closures.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
It's too early to say. For this year we are planning no additional trips to the one we still have planned for October.

For next year we plan to go back to Maui for what has become our annual trip. And dd and I still plan to do the river cruise in May 2021 that we have planned. Of course all of that could go out the window.
We canceled Arizona trip for April. Waiting til July to see if we need to cancel Rhine River Cruise late October.Really hope we can go.
Silentg

travelinmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just booked Marco Island for January. I buy the insurance every year so if we still can’t travel by then my maintenance fees should be covered but if we can go... we’ve got it! Still holding out that our Disney trip in June will be a go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk