• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you changing your travel plans long-term because of COVID-19?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
With all of the uncertainty, just wondering what everyone is thinking regarding long-term planning for travel (say, past 3-4 months from now) based on the crisis. Are you holding off on booking, or just making the assumption we'll have this thing figured out by then and making plans?

I just booked two weeks in Hawaii in January, all fully refundable at this point (no flights yet, and we'll take Southwest in all likelihood as that minimizes the cancellation risk).

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It's too early to say. For this year we are planning no additional trips to the one we still have planned for October.

For next year we plan to go back to Maui for what has become our annual trip. And dd and I still plan to do the river cruise in May 2021 that we have planned. Of course all of that could go out the window.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Had to cancel Aruba Surf Club for this week...and a cancelled Custom House Boston trip for the first week of May...we have a trip planned for Ocean City MD in mid July(driving)....and a November week reservation at Oceana Palms(flying)..hopefully things work out

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got my resales points added for executive and book Hawaii for Feb 2020. Put in reminder for 61 days, but with the flexibility no reason not to book now since can always rebook if needed. Air travel is usually what I will wait on but again because everything is flexible no reason to wait. Still have my December II trade too.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Right now no changes to our plans long-term. With that said we really don't know what is going to be available to us long-term. There will be businesses, including hotels, which may not make it through this crisis.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
YES! We are canceling our trip to Hawaii for my Grandaughter college graduation in June and July. This was going to be my first trip to Hawaii.
Maybe, later in the year.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am canceling all trips for 2020 and not planning anything new until this coronavirus crisis is over. It is not because I am worried about traveling with the virus or my health. It is because I am not comfortable traveling when the entire world is in panic mode. Also I am concerned about our finances as well as whether the support infrastructure to travel, like flights and resorts, will be fully functioning. I would hate to make more travel plans, thinking it is safe to travel, and lose more money or get stuck somewhere because the virus rears its ugly head again. Right now, I have lost trust in making any future plans for travel, for business or for my life in general. I am just living day by day now.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to cancel two weeks for this month. Now I have airline credit from two airlines. We will use those for our annual trip to Connecticut and Maine in October...hopefully...to visit family and friends. Still hoping to do a road trip around July or August. Will plan Hilton Head for next year since we missed out this month.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have cancelled four trips each of which required flights. We hope to complete a trip in August that we can drive to as well as one in late December. Right now we are just waiting to see how things develop.

Best regards.

Mike

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We canceled a trip to Mexico for next week and rebooked it for November. We also canceled a 3 week trip to China for September. We got back our 30,000 destination points, now we need to think about how to use them!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was supposed to be in Australia this week... long term, I have already canceled a visit to Palm Springs in July. I am waiting to cancel a September cruise Vancouver-Tokyo-Singapore and the subsequent stay in Singapore and Taipei, though I am fairly sure it will get canceled. Similarly, I have a trip to Europe planned in November and a cruise from Spain to Florida which I also suspect will be canceled.

At this point I don’t even know if I will be comfortable traveling on a ship, or even abroad, next year. I have two cruises booked for 2021 which I may cancel. I may wait until we have a vaccine and our herd immunity is pervasive before traveling far. Why risk it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Towards the end of last year we realized that we really had no desire to cruise or fly again. We had committed to 2 cruises, Sydney-Hawaii, Hawaii-Vancouver plus a stay at Ko Olina. When we got word of COVID-19 in Asia, that made up our mind to cancel out all non-driving trips. I will still fly to see my family but for vacation, we will stick to drivable locations.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have 3 weeks Booked on Kaua'i for September and 3 weeks in Cabo for February.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely not going anywhere the rest of this year. We still have a Mediterranean cruise booked for summer of 2021, but barring a miracle, I'm highly doubtful it's going to happen, either because we cancel or they cancel.

My travel dreams during retirement are on ice right now, and I'm at peace with that. Satisfying my wanderlust is a want, not a need.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the virus turns out to be somewhat seasonal (unknown) and things get a lot better in summer, we'd likely make a few trips, maybe Branson (holding account points), maybe Williamsburg. Branson we'd do if semi safe. Williamsburg would have to be safer due to flying and airports. Otherwise, likely no trips. Still planning on Palm Desert next Feb or so. Was going to Kenya this December, thinking it's not likely but have not given up just yet, could be a medical breakthrough you never know. But way less trips than last year, going to bank most everything for next year.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to cancel my trip to Brazil that was in 1 week. Also a trip to Finland and Spain in May. I still have reservations for Aruba in June. Struggling to decide if I should cancel it now or wait until the last minute. So hoping to go, our annual trip. Still hoping to go somewhere in the USA in July or August but nothing planned for sure. Planning to travel in 2021 like we always have.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Had to cancel a trip to Grand Cayman for May, still have Aruba in June, but pretty sure I will cancel that. I think for at least the next 6 months we will only drive, not feeling too good about flying in the immediate future.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancelled NYC Pulse for May rebooked for November. Cancelled Aruba Ocean Club for June and deposited in II. Still have Breckinridge for July.
We are also thinking Breckenridge or somewhere around there for July (road trip) to make up for one of our two canceled weeks.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Thanks for all of the responses. The tough thing for me is that I am a long-term planner (which is a good trait when being a timeshare owner/user), but SO much uncertainty going forward. Trying to stay optimistic while keeping flexibility seems to be the strategy for the forseeable future. I guess we could drive to Florida, but that's a lloooooonnnnggg drive to Cancun.:cool:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I have 4 trips booked and hope/expect to do all of them:
  • end of June: a long weekend using points in Portsmouth, NH (driving, and easy to cancel the points reservation if needed)
  • October: Crystal Shores
  • January 2021: safairi in Tanzania (I don't want to go on this trip - DH booked it and I'm semi-hoping it gets canceled)
  • March 2021: Grand Vista

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Planning for London in Oct or Nov as usual.

Cheers

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
We have an Alaskan cruise booked for Sept that will be cancelled unless a miracle happens. Am not getting on a floating petri dish until either a vaccine or meds are developed. That said, both DH and I are in the high risk group. I have asthma. If I were younger w/o underlying medical conditions, my answer would be different.

Ingrid

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We canceled our annual Hawaii trip in May, but still have a long weekend in San Diego booked for August. We will just have to see how things are doing as we get closer to that. I would like to rebook Hawaii for later this year, but i am really not sure that will happen.

We had been planning trip to Italy for 2021, but we are unsure about that as well.. That is partially over uncertainly over travel to Europe as well as the fact we will now have a bumper crop of HGV and MVC points to use in 2021.