• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone playing wordle?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Having said all the ^^^ above, today I got lucky. Sort of. :D

Wordle 295 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
My solve-on-three streak continues! I am a new convert to starting with a consonant heavy word. I had 3 letters in the correct position on my first try. Got another on my next try. Then I had three possible words, omitted the one with the most common letter, omitted a word a tiny bit more obscure, went with my third option and got it.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
My solve-on-three streak continues! I am a new convert to starting with a consonant heavy word. I had 3 letters in the correct position on my first try. Got another on my next try. Then I had three possible words, omitted the one with the most common letter, omitted a word a tiny bit more obscure, went with my third option and got it.
This is the perfect example of why I think for most of us, it is a game of skill and Dave isn't giving himself enough credit. IMHO, you used a very valid thought process and deduced the correct word. You didn't just blindly guess. I think if one is putting thought into their answer, even in Dave's example, you're using deductive reasoning to find the answer and that is more skill than just dumb luck. Or, I'm just trying to make myself feel better! ;)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Got today's in 3, so did Rick.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to prove to myself that I can do it, I tried & finished duotrigordle for the first and last time today

Daily Duotrigordle #39
Guesses: 36/37
0️⃣7️⃣ 1️⃣6️⃣ 1️⃣7️⃣ 0️⃣8️⃣
2️⃣0️⃣ 1️⃣9️⃣ 1️⃣8️⃣ 0️⃣9️⃣
2️⃣1️⃣ 2️⃣9️⃣ 2️⃣8️⃣ 3️⃣5️⃣
2️⃣2️⃣ 0️⃣6️⃣ 3️⃣3️⃣ 3️⃣4️⃣
2️⃣6️⃣ 3️⃣0️⃣ 2️⃣7️⃣ 2️⃣5️⃣
1️⃣4️⃣ 1️⃣5️⃣ 3️⃣1️⃣ 2️⃣4️⃣
3️⃣6️⃣ 1️⃣0️⃣ 1️⃣3️⃣ 1️⃣1️⃣
2️⃣3️⃣ 0️⃣5️⃣ 1️⃣2️⃣ 3️⃣2️⃣

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
the only way to find out is to blindly guess.
The strategy is not to blindly guess - it's to try a word that eliminates multiple options. For example, if the options are scare, share, snare, spare, and stare, enter a word such as punch. It won't solve, but you will get a yellow if the word is any of the options except stare. So on the following guess, you insert the letter that came up yellow, of if none came up yellow, then by process of elimination the word must be stare.

The only times I blindly guess is when there are only two options (then I pick one) or if I'm down to the last guess and I haven't eliminated all options.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 6.29.28 PM.png

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The strategy is not to blindly guess - it's to try a word that eliminates multiple options. For example, if the options are scare, share, snare, spare, and stare, enter a word such as punch. It won't solve, but you will get a yellow if the word is any of the options except stare. So on the following guess, you insert the letter that came up yellow, of if none came up yellow, then by process of elimination the word must be stare.

The only times I blindly guess is when there are only two options (then I pick one) or if I'm down to the last guess and I haven't eliminated all options.

In my example, I used sample words, but the point was if I have four letters in the right places, and the fifth letter could be any of several choices, there is no other option except to guess one or the other of those fifth letters it might be. It has to be one of them - but which one? No way to know for sure. So among those letters it IS a blind guess. You might get lucky and get the word on the first try, but you could also be wrong, and would have to guess another letter. There is no way at that point except to guess the final letter. And that's where it's more about luck than skill.

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In my example, I used sample words, but the point was if I have four letters in the right places, and the fifth letter could be any of several choices, there is no other option except to guess one or the other of those fifth letters it might be. It has to be one of them - but which one? No way to know for sure. So among those letters it IS a blind guess. You might get lucky and get the word on the first try, but you could also be wrong, and would have to guess another letter. There is no way at that point except to guess the final letter. And that's where it's more about luck than skill.

Dave

No, his example is how you solve for that. It takes 2 guesses. First figure out what are the possibilities, then find a word that uses at least all but one of those letters and use that. Whichever one turns yellow (or if none do its the letter you didn't include) is the letter you're missing.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
No, his example is how you solve for that. It takes 2 guesses. First figure out what are the possibilities, then find a word that uses at least all but one of those letters and use that. Whichever one turns yellow (or if none do its the letter you didn't include) is the letter you're missing.

By following that example, I'd still use a guess or two to get the word. If I know the missing letter is one of a number of choices, I'd still use a guess or two to try and find the word. How is that any different? You still don't know the answer till you happen on the right missing letter.

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
there is no other option except to guess one or the other of those fifth letters it might be. It has to be one of them
Bizaro is correct. There are two options. One option, your way is to eliminate the possibilities one at a time. The way I present eliminates multiple possibilities in a single pass. In the example cited there are five possibilities. My approach eliminates four of the options in one pass, so you are guaranteed to get it in two.

Sometimes it doesn't work that neatly. You might end up with four possibilities, but you can't find a word that eliminates more than two of the options. In that case you pick a word the has the missing letter for two of the options. If you hit on the missing letter, then you solve on the next guess. If you still have two guesses remaining then you can just do the remaining two one by one. If you're down to your last guess, then pick one.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
By following that example, I'd still use a guess or two to get the word. If I know the missing letter is one of a number of choices, I'd still use a guess or two to try and find the word. How is that any different? You still don't know the answer till you happen on the right missing letter.

Dave

It's very situation dependent. If there are only two choices left you try them both.

But if you have 5 possibilities and only 3 guesses then eliminating multiple possibilities in a single word is the only way to guarantee a win.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You still don't know the answer till you happen on the right missing letter.
In the example cited, the missing letter is one of c, h, n, p, or t. Five possibilities. If my next guess is "punch", I will generate a yellow box guessing "punch" if the missing letter is anything other than stare. The box that is yellow also tells me which of the letters is the missing letter, and then I put in the answer next turn. But if none of the letters turns yellow, that means in one guess I will have eliminated c, h, n, and p. The only remaining letter is t, so I would know the word is "stare".

You are correct that you have to happen on the missing letter. The idea though is to use a word that tests for multiple letters in the same guess, instead of testing letters one by one.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ok. I understand now. Thank you. Again, I was overthinking things. :)

Moving on now...

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's very situation dependent. If there are only two choices left you try them both.
Even when there are only two possibilities, I will often use a word that has both letters to identify which one it. The reason I do that sometimes I find that the correct word is a third possibility I've overlooked. More than once I've inserted a word that I'm sure is correct, based process of elimination, only to mutter "wha????" when the guess wasn't correct.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Feeling good about a 3 today.
6D94A605-F005-4C76-AC3D-F3AC6FD5F1FF.jpeg

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys are good. Today was rough for me. Even though I did it in 4, I sort of had to cheat (ok, it was cheating). I googled words that had the third and fourth letter in the middle. At least I’m an honest cheater!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wordle 296 3/6

⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜

Dave

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You guys are good. Today was rough for me. Even though I did it in 4, I sort of had to cheat (ok, it was cheating). I googled words that had the third and fourth letter in the middle. At least I’m an honest cheater!
Remember that famous line from some movie, “ There’s no cheating in Wordle!” ;)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Remember that famous line from some movie, “ There’s no cheating in Wordle!” ;)

A League of Their Own. Tom Hanks. "There's no crying in baseball." :D

One of my favorite films.

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I did it in four today.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A League of Their Own. Tom Hanks. "There's no crying in baseball." :D

One of my favorite films.

Dave
In that case, I will admit I watched it again a couple weeks ago. I love Tom Hanks!