• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone get (influenza) flu this season?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I can't remember the last time I was sick so reluctant to get the flu shot because I do know people that still got it after getting the shot so what is the point. I work out of my home 100% so not exposed to crowds of people except at the gym. I wash my hands like 3 times when i do go to the gym. Wife still wants me to get the shot but so far i'm refusing but will likely give in soon.
My sister refused to get the flu shot for years. A few years back she got it, said worse she ever felt, passed out and broke her leg. She now takes it. She doesn’t believe I have it because my symptoms aren’t close to how bad she was. My sinus infection so far has felt much worse then my flu symptom. I still was very sick but wonder if I didn’t have the flu shot if it would have been worse? We will never know the answer.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m now convinced. Getting my flu shot at my pharmacy tomorrow.

Panina, I hope that you are well very soon.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m now convinced. Getting my flu shot at my pharmacy tomorrow.

Panina, I hope that you are well very soon.
Just so you know, I usually feel a little sick for a day or two after the flu shot, a slight cold with tiredness. This year I had no side effects and I got the flu.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My only side effect was a little soreness at the injection sites.
They put a flu shot in one arm and pneumonia in the other.
So, both arms were just a bit sore. Still, I don't like shots.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
So sorry to read that some of you have had, or do have, the flu. It can make one so miserable. We do take the flu shots each year and so far, so good. Please take care of yourselves!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I’m so sorry you are suffering with the flu. I usually get the flu every year, even though I always get a flu shot.
I’ve got 3 employees out with the flu in my office.
I hope all the tigers that have it get well soon

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I was sick so reluctant to get the flu shot because I do know people that still got it after getting the shot so what is the point. I work out of my home 100% so not exposed to crowds of people except at the gym. I wash my hands like 3 times when i do go to the gym. Wife still wants me to get the shot but so far i'm refusing but will likely give in soon.
I'm at the gym 5x a week and use communal boxing gloves (gross) and rarely get sick. It's so hard to explain all of this. I think in my case I get sick when I'm really tired and worn down.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I hope none of my fellow tuggers got the flu yet this season. I was told this season there are many more cases by the doctors. Just wash your hands often and if you need to go to your doctors office for other reasons wear a mask to protect yourself. I had my mask on in the doctors office not to give it to others but as others were coughing and sneezing I hoped none of them had a different influenza that I could get.
I got something, but I think it was just a bad cold. By the time I finally went in to see my PA he said it was something viral and there wasn't anything he could give me beyond cough syrup with codeine. I declined. It started December 15 and I still have the cough.
I am not sure if it is flu or cold but I was woozy, chills, achy joints, and with sinus symptoms for 4 days in bed. Better today, but still woozy and lacking energy at times. I had the flu shot in October. My DH has had a sore throat for days. I haven't had such symptoms.

FWIW, one of you is still contagious. I was fine until this thread and now this morning I woke up with a cough, scratchy throat etc :eek::ROFLMAO:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was fine until this thread and now this morning I woke up with a cough, scratchy throat etc.

You prolly forgot to put on a mask and wash your hands before reading this thread.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I haven't had the flu in years. I did get the shot and have been getting it for the last 5 years and haven't had the flu those 5 years. I am easily subject to sinus infections, but daily allergy meds have kept those away, too.

Lots of people I know have been down with the flu, sometimes for a couple weeks. They have a bad cough for weeks afterward.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I received the flu shot a few months ago and came down with some nasty flu like bug right around Jan 2. Started taking Zicam and lemon juice. It wasn't going away and went into my lungs. It was a full on congested sinus that went to the lungs dealio. Used a z pack 3 days in and now I have been getting better. Still feel it a little but definitely on the mend.

My wife didn't catch it. We both received the flu shot at the same place and same time. I think I caught it from my elementary school age grand-kids over the holidays. All of them had coughs and they all want to sit with me.

Bill

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I think I caught it from my elementary school age grand-kids over the holidays. All of them had coughs and they all want to sit with me.

Bill
Awwwww, well done, Bill!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I received the flu shot a few months ago and came down with some nasty flu like bug right around Jan 2. Started taking Zicam and lemon juice. It wasn't going away and went into my lungs. It was a full on congested sinus that went to the lungs dealio. Used a z pack 3 days in and now I have been getting better. Still feel it a little but definitely on the mend.

My wife didn't catch it. We both received the flu shot at the same place and same time. I think I caught it from my elementary school age grand-kids over the holidays. All of them had coughs and they all want to sit with me.

Bill
Zpack has helped me too. I was told by two doctors I saw , the one at urgent care and another doctor at my doctors office that they wouldn’t give me zpack as it is not the recommended medicine for sinus infections and doesn’t work well. The urgent care gave me no medicine when the flu test came back positive, the office doctor gave me amoxicillin which made me sicker. Yesterday I finally started zpack from my primary physician and already I am feeling better.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You guys are scaring me! We are in Disney World this past week and all of next week. I don't want my granddaughter to catch anything. She is 2 and a half. She touches everything. Every chain and rope she sees is a plaything. Scary.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You guys are scaring me! We are in Disney World this past week and all of next week. I don't want my granddaughter to catch anything. She is 2 and a half. She touches everything. Every chain and rope she sees is a plaything. Scary.
Just enjoy, worrying won’t help, and try to make washing hands more often part of the activities.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I caught it from my elementary school age grand-kids over the holidays.
As the meme on FB said, no matter how much it looks like a child wants to share a hug, or a drawing, or a cookie....it's never those things. It's always the flu. Always. ;)

Yes, you can get the flu after getting a flu shot, but it usually lessens the duration and intensity. And, if you are over 65, the flu is a killer. Literally.

Thanks to those who get vaccinated.

geekette

Reaction score
Zpack has helped me too. I was told by two doctors I saw , the one at urgent care and another doctor at my doctors office that they wouldn’t give me zpack as it is not the recommended medicine for sinus infections and doesn’t work well. The urgent care gave me no medicine when the flu test came back positive, the office doctor gave me amoxicillin which made me sicker. Yesterday I finally started zpack from my primary physician and already I am feeling better.

!?! I'm sorry your agony was prolonged. Every doc is different, not always in a good way.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
It's puzzling. The full-on migraine is horrific so I don't mind condensing them, but just Weird, and after it passes, that feeling of, ok, what was that, am I done, will I be ok in a few hours, what should I do? ... Turns out, it exhausts me, I went down for a nap that lasted 4 hours. Made it a few hours, down again. Well, ok, sleep is fine. I am on my second straight day of Feeling Good so another Good Chore Day (oh gosh, so desperately needed!) Sure, I didn't get up until 10 or so, but, that's the beauty of living alone, it bothers no one. I was running vacuum at 2 am this morning. no gripes.

I'm hoping the mini-migraines go away, they may have shown up from some meds I was on short term after a reaction from a procedure. I've been at high nausea for over a month now and know to heed That Feeling when it gets worse and go find my bucket to hopefully get it over with. All I wanted for Christmas was less puking in my life but apparently Santa put me on the naughty list. Could be worse, there could be No Warning. I will consider myself lucky.

I swear by Vitamin B2 for making my migraines manageable. Even now when menopause has all but stopped the headaches, I still take it daily. Used to take two 100mg tablets twice a day, now one tablet twice a day. ETA as I sit here filling my pill box for the week I realize my other helpful anti migraine drug is 60 mg Propranolol. Been on both of these over 30 years, but the last ten years have been the best. Several years ago I went through a period of "fake" migraines where I'd have an OH NO! twenty minute period of light flashes and blind spots in one eye which used to mean killer migraine coming on the opposite side, only to have nothing at all happen.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Just chatted with my brother. His family is/was down with the flu. Figured they caught it at a movie theatre. He missed four days of work last week but is back to work today. His wife went to ER and was confirmed as flu. Two in the family had received the vaccine earlier in the season; two did not. All got sick. He said, "I haven't felt this sick in 30 years." I had said similarly of mine and heard my MiL say the same of hers. Miserable stuff this season.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Flu leaves 4-year-old Iowa girl blind.

Richard
A 4-Year-Old Girl's Sudden Blindness is a Tragic Reminder of Why Everyone Should Get the
Flu Shot.

Richard

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I got the flu and so did my wife. Thank goodness I got the flu shot.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)