• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone get (influenza) flu this season?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So I got my flu shot, went to NY for the holidays and came back with a positive test for influenza A even though B is the one prevalent in NY. On top of it, I have symptoms of a sinus infection.

Unfortunately my doctor was not back into the office until today and all of the medical staff I encountered ignored my sinus until yesterday and then I was given an antibiotic that made me so sick. My regular doctor pulled me off of it today, last dose was midnight this morning, and changed it to something I have reacted well to in the past. I was told to wait until tomorrow morning to start. Meanwhile my ear and sinuses are hurting again.

I feel miserable and my sister says you are not so bad. Two years ago she got the flu, could hardly stand, passed out and broke her leg, so she is right.

I hope none of my fellow tuggers got the flu yet this season. I was told this season there are many more cases by the doctors. Just wash your hands often and if you need to go to your doctors office for other reasons wear a mask to protect yourself. I had my mask on in the doctors office not to give it to others but as others were coughing and sneezing I hoped none of them had a different influenza that I could get.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I got something, but I think it was just a bad cold. By the time I finally went in to see my PA he said it was something viral and there wasn't anything he could give me beyond cough syrup with codeine. I declined. It started December 15 and I still have the cough.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am not sure if it is flu or cold but I was woozy, chills, achy joints, and with sinus symptoms for 4 days in bed. Better today, but still woozy and lacking energy at times. I had the flu shot in October. My DH has had a sore throat for days. I haven't had such symptoms.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got something, but I think it was just a bad cold. By the time I finally went in to see my PA he said it was something viral and there wasn't anything he could give me beyond cough syrup with codeine. I declined. It started December 15 and I still have the cough.
It could have been the flu. I have been told is varies significantly from person to person. My mom complained of a soar throat and had a cough with headaches. Thought it was part of a reaction she had with a medicine she had to stop taking but maybe not. My other half had a slight dry cough and slept so much for 5 days I kept asking him if he felt sick and he kept saying just catching up on my sleep. The doctor said either could have had a mild case Of the flu.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not sure if it is flu or cold but I was woozy, chills, achy joints, and with sinus symptoms for 4 days in bed. Better today, but still woozy and lacking energy at times. I had the flu shot in October. My DH has had a sore throat for days. I haven't had such symptoms.
Sounds like what I have.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Besides the cough for the first few days I had NO energy, slept all of the time and also had NO appetite (I mean like none, all I was doing was drinking ginger ale). No sore throat, which is unusual for me. If I get a cold that is how it usually starts.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Besides the cough for the first few days I had NO energy, slept all of the time and also had NO appetite (I mean like none, all I was doing was drinking ginger ale). No sore throat, which is unusual for me. If I get a cold that is how it usually starts.
This is similar to my symptoms. I had no appetite, no energy and could not think straight. I don't have the sore throat nor the stuffiness that a cold brings.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This is similar to my symptoms. I had no appetite, no energy and could not think straight. I don't have the sore throat nor the stuffiness that a cold brings.
Yep, sounds exactly like the way I felt. No fever either.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yep, sounds exactly like the way I felt. No fever either.
Yep. No fever. My sinuses hurt but not excessively stuffy like a cold. Very strange. We were at Disneyland over the holidays. Although we regularly applied sanitizer and washed our hands, still picked up something.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yep. No fever. My sinuses hurt but not excessively stuffy like a cold. Very strange. We were at Disneyland over the holidays. Although we regularly applied sanitizer and washed our hands, still picked up something.
I flew to California on December 11 and home on December 15. I started with the coughing and feeling really exhausted the day we flew home. So, I either got it from the flight over, or somewhere while we were there.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No flu this season, and I am in SC where it is prevalent. I did get the shot but had qualms about it, because last year I signed up to be a guinea pig to make a few bucks, I got a flu shot that's for 65+ and is incubated on tobacco rather than egg cultures...and I was sick all winter. Fingers crossed that the flu shot I got this year wasn't the tobacco kind!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Flu Season May Yet Turn Ugly, C.D.C. Warns.

Richard

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I got flu and pneumonia shots today at mt doc's recommendation.
I said, "But I don't remember the last time I got sick."
"You will the next time, if you don't get these," he replied. Smart-a**.

I did once have a severe cold.
Nyquil Liquid has 10% alcohol as an "inactive" ingredient.
So, if it's not already included in your meds, perhaps...
(Note: This is not to be construed as medical advice).

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I got it this year ... went into full pneumonia with crackling lungs, gray skin color, no appetite, no energy, chills, truly weak for days, with brain fog and balance issues. The worst I recall feeling in 20+ years. Gladly it was over the holidays while my husband was home from work to help me through it. He returned to HI on 1/3 and, for the first time, I wish I could have gone with him.

Not entirely sure of the origin, but we think it came from the hubby's office. We had just returned from a long cruise with long flights (San Diego to Rome; Dubai to San Diego ... 20+ hours in planes on that return!). We might have picked up something from the travel ... but we were being so careful. Hubby returns to work and phones me, "Everyone here is hacking and coughing; yuk!" He is sick that weekend ... and I fell into it the following Tuesday, Christmas Eve. Bleck!

I pushed through some rough weather (snow/rain/freezing temps) to care for the horses each day ... but boy, was that taxing. I recall walking very slowly (like a very old person) and having lots of difficulty carrying hay nets, closing my trailer gate (heavy!) and clearing manure. The wet weather made everything all the more difficult, certainly. I was chilled to the bone and deeply bothered stripping off wet, muddy gear after each feed cycle. Oh, the dirt!

Spent lots of time in the sauna (yeah!), using my red lights (yeah!), sipping bone broth and resting. My strength and color returned around New Years but the cough still lingers a bit at night. Almost gone ... feeling much better and very grateful. Still haven't ventured from the house ... but beginning to get a bit stir crazy and thinking to run into town for something/anything. Really want some Mardi Gras foods ... gumbo and king cake are calling to me. I must be feeling better, right? :)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So sorry you have the flu. Terrible.

I keep hoping we stay well as we will be moving soon plus my health insurance situation is the pits. I have insurance but can't prove it to anyone. Enough to make me sick.

I hope you get well soon. These flu shots- I don't get them and most of my work life was spent going in and out of doctors offices. I have been lucky I guess. My husband did get the flu shot through his employer so hopefully he will be ok..

geekette

Reaction score
No flu, but I am either getting mini-migraines or a new weird Very Short Term Illness (like a couple hours). Once the worst part passes (full migraine session with all that entails, but short, very short [thankfully]), I seem to be fine. But for a bit, the fever, chills, intense body pain, pounding head, all of it. This is not normal for me, my migraines are generally at least one full day (like the Monday before Christmas - what crappy timing to lose a day!). Got flu shot Christmas Eve and never have a problem with that, and don't at all mind getting a later vax, in case it contains what they've learned this season. Either way, those never affect me.

But this mini-migraine thing, I don't know what that is. Starts with intense nausea. Goes away quickly.

There has been some nasty respiratory thing going around. Happy to not be going to the office where people save up PTO for fun days off and bring their yuck to work instead.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
No flu, but I am either getting mini-migraines or a new weird Very Short Term Illness (like a couple hours). Once the worst part passes (full migraine session with all that entails, but short, very short [thankfully]), I seem to be fine. But for a bit, the fever, chills, intense body pain, pounding head, all of it. This is not normal for me, my migraines are generally at least one full day (like the Monday before Christmas - what crappy timing to lose a day!). Got flu shot Christmas Eve and never have a problem with that, and don't at all mind getting a later vax, in case it contains what they've learned this season. Either way, those never affect me.

But this mini-migraine thing, I don't know what that is. Starts with intense nausea. Goes away quickly.

There has been some nasty respiratory thing going around. Happy to not be going to the office where people save up PTO for fun days off and bring their yuck to work instead.

Hope your headaches go away. That's awful.

geekette

Reaction score
Hope your headaches go away. That's awful.
It's puzzling. The full-on migraine is horrific so I don't mind condensing them, but just Weird, and after it passes, that feeling of, ok, what was that, am I done, will I be ok in a few hours, what should I do? ... Turns out, it exhausts me, I went down for a nap that lasted 4 hours. Made it a few hours, down again. Well, ok, sleep is fine. I am on my second straight day of Feeling Good so another Good Chore Day (oh gosh, so desperately needed!) Sure, I didn't get up until 10 or so, but, that's the beauty of living alone, it bothers no one. I was running vacuum at 2 am this morning. no gripes.

I'm hoping the mini-migraines go away, they may have shown up from some meds I was on short term after a reaction from a procedure. I've been at high nausea for over a month now and know to heed That Feeling when it gets worse and go find my bucket to hopefully get it over with. All I wanted for Christmas was less puking in my life but apparently Santa put me on the naughty list. Could be worse, there could be No Warning. I will consider myself lucky.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 88 year old woman I often eat lunch with at my CCRC got up from lunch one day last week and told me she felt like crap. Next I know she has been in the hospital for 6 days now. Don't know if it is flu, pneumonia or something else but 6 days is a long time going from just fine to being in the hospital for a week...

George

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It's puzzling. The full-on migraine is horrific so I don't mind condensing them, but just Weird, and after it passes, that feeling of, ok, what was that, am I done, will I be ok in a few hours, what should I do? ... Turns out, it exhausts me, I went down for a nap that lasted 4 hours. Made it a few hours, down again. Well, ok, sleep is fine. I am on my second straight day of Feeling Good so another Good Chore Day (oh gosh, so desperately needed!) Sure, I didn't get up until 10 or so, but, that's the beauty of living alone, it bothers no one. I was running vacuum at 2 am this morning. no gripes.

I'm hoping the mini-migraines go away, they may have shown up from some meds I was on short term after a reaction from a procedure. I've been at high nausea for over a month now and know to heed That Feeling when it gets worse and go find my bucket to hopefully get it over with. All I wanted for Christmas was less puking in my life but apparently Santa put me on the naughty list. Could be worse, there could be No Warning. I will consider myself lucky.

Could be. Meds can have horrible side effects.

I;m with you! I was done cleaning this morning by 9 am. LOL! I just work around my husband. Ha! Ha!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I got sick on the 26th, and just now starting to feel better. Today is my first off the decongestant. Unfortunately i seem to have passed this off to my wife, so now she is very sick..

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Everyone needs to watch to make sure symptoms don’t go bacterial which is often hard to tell. I have both viral influenza A and a sinus infection with a very hoarse voice. Three doctors later, actually my primary who was away prior, I got the right medicine I needed to deal with the sinus. I know in a few days sinus will be good but how long the flu will be with me is my unknown.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Been suffering with the flu for the past week. I am getting better. I hope DW does not catch it from me.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
In today's South Florida Sun-Sentinel newspaper there was an article that said South Florida is being hit particularly hard with the Flu this year.

Richard

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I was sick so reluctant to get the flu shot because I do know people that still got it after getting the shot so what is the point. I work out of my home 100% so not exposed to crowds of people except at the gym. I wash my hands like 3 times when i do go to the gym. Wife still wants me to get the shot but so far i'm refusing but will likely give in soon.