• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Tuggers contracted Coronavirus? [MERGED]

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked my doctor at UC Davis for an antibody test. She said it is not yet available for the general public. However, a client of mine in the Bay Area with some Covid symptoms who tested negative said his doctor sent him to the lab for an antibody test. Is it available to the public yet? If so, how does one go about getting it if the doctor says it is not available?
One thing to be careful of is that many of the antibody tests currently out there are not reliable and deliver an unacceptable number of false positives (indicating that you have already been exposed to coVid19 when you have not). The link below takes you to NY Times article that said that eleven out of fourteen antibody tests have turned out to be unreliable. (I don't know if this article will be behind a firewall or not.)

Coronavirus Antibody Tests: Can You Trust the Results?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
One thing to be careful of is that many of the antibody tests currently out there are not reliable and deliver an unacceptable number of false positives (indicating that you have already been exposed to coVid19 when you have not). The link below takes you to NY Times article that said that eleven out of fourteen antibody tests have turned out to be unreliable. (I don't know if this article will be behind a firewall or not.)

Coronavirus Antibody Tests: Can You Trust the Results?
I know I will get scorn for this from some, but I learned this trick on another forum. To get past the paywall, at least with NY Times, put a . after .com. So this should work;

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I know I will get scorn for this from some, but I learned this trick on another forum. To get past the paywall, at least with NY Times, put a . after .com. So this should work;

Thank you! I didn't know about that, and was regularly being frustrated when I'd see a link to something behind their paywall. I couldn't justify subscribing to something I would only read, um... periodically. (No pun intended. ;))

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you! I didn't know about that, and was regularly being frustrated when I'd see a link to something behind their paywall. I couldn't justify subscribing to something I would only read, um... periodically. (No pun intended. ;))

Dave
I tried it with the WSJ and it doesn't seem to work.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@Grammarhero I’m glad to hear you and your wife have recovered. This virus is awful. I’m just curious what you were told in terms of how long you are/were contagious?

My stepfather 77 just came home from the hospital he is still on oxygen. My mom 76 only had symptoms a few days. Fever 1 day and vomiting 1 day. Other than that mild cough for maybe 3-5 days. I’m hoping I can see them sometime soon but only when it’s safe. There is so much conflicting info on when that would be I don’t want to risk it. Since my stepfather just got home from hospital the nurse said 14 days but it doesn’t seem anyone knows for sure.

@CPNY what were you told in terms of when you could go out or back to work if you work outside the home? Were you able to get retested in NYC? It’s not that easy here on Long Island to get retested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got cleared to go to public places on day 17. But my fever stopped on day 11.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Grammarhero, Thanks for the wonderful report. It REALLY illustrated the danger from this disease in a most clear way. And your post SHOWS WHY it's so deadly for the old, weak, obese and those with underlying conditions. This thing is nothing to monkey with or brush off.

We're glad you're on the mend. The good news: You haven't had to help many people rescind! :)

Has there been any input, or do you have any assurance that you and your wife have developed antibodies that can fight off a future re-infection or have you been approached to donate plasma at some point to help others?

Best wished for a speedy and complete recovery. Welcome back, Amigo.

Jim
Wife and I are donating plasma. We are set to do so in 1 week with the Red Cross.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I asked my doctor at UC Davis for an antibody test. She said it is not yet available for the general public. However, a client of mine in the Bay Area with some Covid symptoms who tested negative said his doctor sent him to the lab for an antibody test. Is it available to the public yet? If so, how does one go about getting it if the doctor says it is not available?
Antibody tests are not publicly available yet but you might be able to get a doctor’s note for it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
I don't know if it's infallible- probably not. But if you use Chrome, either click the three dots upper right and select 'New Incognito Window' or Ctrl+Shift+N. I do that if there's something I really want to read, but of course your cookies are not there so you have to sign in to all your old websites and choose preferences.

Jim

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So good to hear you are on the mend. Thank you for sharing.

Could you please tell us what you did to support your immune system before and during the virus?
I don’t know if any other medicines were helpful. Only prescription noticeably helpful was inhaler which I took after using the restroom or showering.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@CPNY and @Grammarhero sorry to hear you both got sick. Do you have any ideas on how/when/where you got the illness?
I'm more cautious than most people that I know, but I still walk my dogs every day and I end up going to the grocery store once in a while. I wash my hands as soon as I get home and again after removing shoes/face mask whatever.

I have packages delivered every day, just about. I unpack my boxes - wash my hands - put boxes in recycling outside - wash my hands - put items away - wash my hands again. What I haven't been doing is disenfecting all of my groceries. Some things, I just won't touch for a few days after I put them away.
My wife works in a healthcare facility with a covid19 patient.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't know if it's infallible- probably not. But if you use Chrome, either click the three dots upper right and select 'New Incognito Window' or Ctrl+Shift+N. I do that if there's something I really want to read, but of course your cookies are not there so you have to sign in to all your old websites and choose preferences.

Jim
That seems to work for NY Times also. You can right click on the link to the article and pick "Open Link in Incognito Window", a little easier than those three dots. Ingognito doesn't seem to work for WSJ.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if any other medicines were helpful. Only prescription noticeably helpful was inhaler which I took after using the restroom or showering.
What kind of inhaler? Perhaps a broncodialator? My CPAP has a 'ventilator' function so if my breathing stops, it gives my lungs a little boost. They wouldn't let me use it in the hospital lawt week because I had not been tested for Covid-19 and the machine atomized exhaled air and spews it around the room instead of natural droplets than (mostly) are captured inside an N-95 mask. They just put me on 2 ltrs of O2 and let me breathe naturally. It didn't help my apnea, but I got through it.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What kind of inhaler? Perhaps a broncodialator? My CPAP has a 'ventilator' function so if my breathing stops, it gives my lungs a little boost. They wouldn't let me use it in the hospital lawt week because I had not been tested for Covid-19 and the machine atomized exhaled air and spews it around the room instead of natural droplets than (mostly) are captured inside an N-95 mask. They just put me on 2 ltrs of O2 and let me breathe naturally. It didn't help my apnea, but I got through it.
It was albuterol sulfate HFA inhalation aerosol.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was albuterol sulfate HFA inhalation aerosol.
Thanks. As I suspected. A commonly available (by prescription) broncodialator. I've been treated with it while having my pulmonary function tested. Glad it helped you. Continue getting stronger.

Jim

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
My Mother-in-law, who will be 92 in 2 weeks, had chest pain Saturday evening and was brought to the ER with atrial fibrillation (A-Fib). She has a history of A-Fib but her O2 levels were not coming up as they expected. They did a swab, and sure enough - Covid positive. She is doing remarkably well with a small pneumonia infiltrate. They are hoping to wean her off the oxygen within another day or two.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister's test just came back yesterday - also tested positive. Also had some chest pains and shortness of breath/was tested Saturday.

An old friend of ours came home last week from the hospital. He is doing well. He came off the ventilator (60s, overweight and has leukemia) - this is very good news.

My daughter-in-law's second cousin - foot doctor - also well and off the ventilator.

I could go on. Know many others who have it, two passed and one not sure if she is off the ventilator yet.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My ex-staff's father just died from COVID after a month in the hospital. She had dinner with him on Sunday night, he went on his dialysis on Tuesday, had flu like symptoms and got sent to ER. He was tested positive for COVID and was admitted into ICU and got put on a ventilator. She never saw him again after Sunday night.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I believe they are avail in CA. In NY we have health systems running studies for antibodies. Urgent care centers now have them as well. Check local urgent care centers in your area or any independent labs that are offering them

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Could you please tell us what you did to support your immune system before and during the virus?
I know the question wasn't intended for me ... I hope you don't mind my jumping in. While not tested, I've written earlier that I'm quite certain I experienced the Corona Virus in Dec. I fought it with:
  • Infra-red Sauna sessions (going with Dr. Mom's old trick of "baking it out")
  • Red-light pad with Infra-red and Blue Light for 10 minutes across my upper chest and 10 minutes across the abdomen on setting "01". I also red-lighted wellness points using my handheld lights.
  • Vegetable juice. Sometimes store bought (organic, cold press); sometimes made at home using my juicer and whatever I had in the house: celery, cabbage, carrots, turmeric, ginger, mint, beets, etc.
  • Supplements: Echinacea Goldenseal tincture (for that funny feeling in the back of the throat); Milk Thistle (my liver was sluggish)
  • Dandelion tea
  • Super plain, simple foods. After a 2-day fast, I lived mostly on organic bone broth with turmeric and fresh ground black pepper.
Edited to add:
  • Essential Oils. I used a rub of Eucalyptus and Peppermint oils in coconut oil on the soles of my feet at night and across my chest. I also used a 'thieves' blend on my hands and under my nose fairly often ... had to breathe that in!
  • Diffused Frankincense oil in a water-based diffuser and the resin in heated oil in various rooms.
  • On a particularly warm day, when I and the animals could remain outside, I burned Frankincense and other resins on charcoal tablets and let the house fill with the smoke. (Kinda like when you do a flea bomb/fogger?) We reentered after allowing the house ample time clear.
Personally, I found that addressing inflammation was key for me. The red-lights, the oils and resins were each helpful.

Edited again to add: At the time, late December, I had no real idea what I was fighting so my approach was targeted at my symptoms (respiratory, throat, digestive) and general wellness (diet choices, juicing, wellness acupressure points). FWIW, while I did rest more than normal, it was not a fast from my normal chores. I was still outside feeding horses, cleaning pens and getting a good deal of physical activity in harsh conditions (snow/rain/cold). I'm pretty convinced that pushing myself was beneficial in the long run.

Last edited:

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
I got very sick during our ski trip on March 10th and was ordered to quarantine 7 days after my high temp (105F) came down to normal. My recovery was very slow. I didn’t get infected skiing, I suspect my volunteering as AARP Tax aide is where I met the source.
I wish I could take a test to see if I have antibodies, but in the meantime I act as asked for in my home state. Face mask, distancing and stay at home most of the time.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone here in the land of TUG come down with the virus?
Family members have the virus?
Anyone know someone that has come down with the virus?
Anyone have family, friends, acquaintance pass away from the virus?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a distant cousin pass from the virus.
Know of several friends or acquaintances or relatives of co-workers pass from the virus.
I know of a doctor that has recovered from the virus.
We have friends and relatives recover from the virus.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I think there is already a thread out there about this. There are some TUG members that have been affected.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
<Original post deleted>
It was simply a link back to this thread before multiple threads were merged together.

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone here in the land of TUG come down with the virus?
Family members have the virus?
Anyone know someone that has come down with the virus?
Anyone have family, friends, acquaintance pass away from the virus?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a distant cousin pass from the virus.
Know of several friends or acquaintances or relatives of co-workers pass from the virus.
I know of a doctor that has recovered from the virus.
We have friends and relatives recover from the virus.
My son's girlfriend's family were good friends with the woman that is claimed to be the first case in Santa Clara County which originally was thought to have passed from something else.
Bart