• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Changes

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
One of the benefits that I actually use is priority pass. Has anyone come up with a suitable semi-low cost replacement card yet? I'm searching nerd wallet, etc, but those are all sponsored ads.
I have the Chase Ritz card at $450 AF. There is a credit of $300 when used for any airline purchases which brings this card down to $150.

You can add as many authorized users you want and they each get a very good priority pass membership. The Chase PP still has access to use at certain restaurants. You will have a dining credit of $27-$35 per person. Usually limit of 2 people per card.

The Chase Ritz does not charge for authorized users. So have given PP membership to all my relatives. I just don't give them the Credit Cards. I just give them their AU membership cards.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
A single airline credit was year round. And so was the $250 credit for (most) MFs.

I don't agree it's an improvement. It probably provides more value at the cost of having to track it religiously. Previous Aspire was much easier to utilize.

I think we should be paying most MFs in December and the rest on January 1st. Which is the due date. This will probably do it.
It is the listed due date. But most of the MFs have 45 or more days until late. The real due date for our Blvd, for example, is Feb. 15. We do pay in early January because, why not. But it can be paid until Feb. 15 without being late.

So, a December, early January split is an easy way to get $150 more in value.

As for the airline fee, I can see it being harder for some now. Because we had no real place to use it efficiently with the prior restrictions to not airfare, this will work much better for us. One ticket a quarter is easy, even if we cancel and bank the credit.

For us, definite net positive on both counts.

Cheers.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Unless you were willing to pay the higher cost of the upgraded room, which was not evidently the case since you didn't book that room
This is where this logic falls apart since I book the cheapest and then expect the upgrade. And it works...

I book two different properties for the same date, and then negotiate the upgrades when I'm still within the free cancelation period at both. When they hear I need this upgrade or I'm taking my business elsewhere (which is 75% cases true and 25% a bluff), I end up getting these upgrades.

For example, Tucson, AZ has a couple DoubleTrees. I was with my kids so we wanted something bigger. I would stay at #1 only if I get an upgrade to a suite (as my initial booking is a regular room; and their suite costs too many points), or stay at #2 if I don't get an upgrade (because it was a suite, albeit smaller, and was lower cost in points). And I did get the upgrade on #1. And many other times as well using this strategy.

For this reason, my HH valuation has to include the upgrades.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
This is where this logic falls apart since I book the cheapest and then expect the upgrade. And it works...

I book two different properties for the same date, and then negotiate the upgrades when I'm still within the free cancelation period at both. When they hear I need this upgrade or I'm taking my business elsewhere (which is 75% cases true and 25% a bluff), I end up getting these upgrades.

For example, Tucson, AZ has a couple Double Trees. I was with my kids so we wanted something bigger. I would stay at #1 only if I get an upgrade to a suite (as my initial booking is a regular room; and their suite costs too many points), or stay at #2 if I don't get an upgrade (because it was a suite, albeit smaller, and was lower cost in points). And I did get the upgrade on #1. And many other times as well using this strategy.

For this reason, my HH valuation has to include the upgrades.
Is there something in particular that prevents you from doing the same thing with reservations for which you have used a credit card rather than HH points? I'm all for getting the best deal possible, including getting upgrades, but try to figure out how to value things comparably.

One thought that I try to keep in mind is that while I do book in the Waldorf Astoria, D.C., when I can with a free night certificate and frequently get upgrades to suites, I would be quite unlikely to spend the $2K for a night in one. That is a better basis for me to conclude that I shouldn't really value the free night certificate at $2K even though I got something some other people might be willing to pay that much for. A standard night there is 110,000 HH points, but I wouldn't conclude from having gotten that lucky that the points are worth two cents each - the standard room I book costs around $700 if you're willing to pay cash for it, which would get you closer to the 0.6 cents per point.

That's not really my bottom line valuation, though. Frankly, I never had the urge to go and spend $700 to spend a night down there. Instead, I would use my HGVC points or book a night at The District using open season for a cost of $220-230. That would give me a lower estimate of 0.2 cents per point.

I do like the Waldorf Astoria better than the District, though, particularly for a one night stay. I would peg the point value somewhere between the 0.2 and 0.6 cents per point. Bottom line is that the upgraded room is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and it's only worth that to them; if I'm not willing to pay the higher cost to get the upgraded room then it isn't worth that to me. Otherwise I would have booked it, after all. The fact that it was not booked by anyone and therefore available for them to upgrade me into is a fairly clear indication that it wasn't worth the rate they were asking for to anyone else either if you think about it.

YMMV

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
I don't really care about TPG and others. "Real world" is my 53 Hilton nights spent between December 2021 and today. I have Hampton (4 nights), Homewood (12), Home2 (6), Tapestry (3), DoubleTree (11), Embassy Suites (2), Curio (2), a couple airport Hiltons, and a couple real Hiltons.

Their calculations don't include complimentary upgrades. If you get upgrades from a studio room to a suite, you should be looking at the price of the suite for your redemption value - obviously. This is where the discrepancy comes from. I've gotten sick upgrades like studio to suite, parking view to ocean view, high floor, etc. thanks to asking for them diligently before my stay (as opposed to check-in).

Their calculations also don't include promotions like "Unlimited Points", or whatever, that give you an extra 2000 pts or 1000 pts or whatever the terms are, neither do they include your Diamond bonus where you get 1000 pts extra on certain properties (like Tapestry). All this has to be taken into account because when you pay 50,000 HH for booking, and get 1,000 HH back after the stay, the cost was 49,000 HH and not 50,000 HH (doh). These are pennies though.

In any case, HH value without upgrades for me is $0.0067. And $0.0085 with upgrades. Which I consider the real world value.
I agree, my real value has been more like .008. But we are usually staying at Hilton, Conrad or Waldorf. When I stay at an airport, I’m usually paying cash and doing Park and Fly

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have the Chase Ritz card at $450 AF. There is a credit of $300 when used for any airline purchases which brings this card down to $150.

You can add as many authorized users you want and they each get a very good priority pass membership. The Chase PP still has access to use at certain restaurants. You will have a dining credit of $27-$35 per person. Usually limit of 2 people per card.

The Chase Ritz does not charge for authorized users. So have given PP membership to all my relatives. I just don't give them the Credit Cards. I just give them their AU membership cards.

Since this is a chase card does it offer the same PP restaurants as the CSR? It only generates Bonvoy points, not Chase points, correct? I am seeking points for Hyatt, which CSR points transfer.

Lodemia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Craigendarroch(2),Coylumbridge(5),Boulevard(4),Kings'Land(1),W 57th(1),District(2)

So I had an old Marriott rewards card and was able to upgrade to this card pretty painlessly tonight. They even processed the priority pass for my bride and I

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
That would only work once. The next year you have already used that years credit previously.
Should work every year still

Hotel credit

Get $200 Jan - June 2024 cannot use for dues

Get $200 July - Dec 2024

Annual dues 2024

Use JD $200 2024

Get $200 Jan - June 2025

Use JJ $200 2025

Get $200 July - Dec 2025

Annual dues 2025

Use JD $200 2025

Get $200 Jan - June 2026

Use JJ $200 2026

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Since this is a chase card does it offer the same PP restaurants as the CSR? It only generates Bonvoy points, not Chase points, correct? I am seeking points for Hyatt, which CSR points transfer.
Yes same PP as CSR and only bonvoy points.

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
OMAAT, TPG, and View From the Wing all value Hilton points at 0.004 - 0.006/point,, thus the average is 0.005/point. When even the credit card hawkers/bloggers give it an average range as stated above, (they usually over-inflate things so people sign up with their referral links), it's probably more "real world".

CAN you get more? Sure. Can you get less? Yup.

Unfortunately my stays are usually not with Hilton hotels, and are 1-2 night stays (pre/post cruise, etc).
JFK Hampton Inn for 1/13/24 is $205 or 60,000 points which I believe is $0.003/point (even lower)

H Hotels by LAX on 6/1/24 is $255/night or 80,000 points which is also $0.003/point

Now a Maldives or Tahiti may yield a much higher ratio IF you can snag one (I think Hilton went semi-dynamic pricing).

YMMV
Don’t forget, though the number of points you can purchase is limited, when Hilton has a sale for their honors points with 100% bonus, you’re effectively buying them at $0.005 per point. To me that implies Hilton values its points at 1/2 CPP. So when I’m looking at hiltons because Hyatt hotels aren’t available, I will use points if the total value of the stay in points is > $0.005 when compared to the cash value. I don’t care that Hilton always uses the member rate to determine points vs cash; the semi-flex or occasional government rate favors cash over points in a lot of cases. It’s probably why I still have 1m honors points that I can’t seem to use …

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If you do the math for the alternative incentives, HGVC values HH points at $0.0025 ($400 = 160,000).

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The terms & conditions say you can't use the airline credit for cash equivalents, which I would interpret as being the travel bank. Tried it anyway and it doesn't seem to trigger a reimbursement - it's been a few days and they typically seem to have given the reimbursements more quickly than advertised so I think it would have worked by now if it was going to.

Interesting; I'll keep an eye out and update this thread if I do get the credit.
As promised, I received this update on the benefits section of the AMEX site. Haven't seen the credit show up in my transactions yet, though.

$200 Flight Credit​

Congratulations, you've received $50 of your Flight Credit benefit for this quarter of the year!
Total received this year: $50

Volcom32001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast Villas(x2)
Marriott Grand Chateau(x2)
HGVC BLVD(x2)
Has anyone ever tried to prepay MFs a year in advance (I would do a partial)? I have a EOY at The Boulevard that I won't have to pay until next year. My EY Elara MFs don't get the credit. I will have a $250 credit available in late Nov and then the $200 available in the first half of next year.
Yes, I "prepaid" my MF earlier this year. They will charge your credit card and keep the credit in your account. Once the MF are posted they will deduct that amount.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Data Point: Paid my Club Dues at Valdoro and got the $250 Resort Credit applied a few days later.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the $400 annual resort credit can be used for MF (although remains to be seen if it will still trigger the credit). But we won't know until 1/1/24 (or a few days after) to be sure. But highly likely, so just have to remember to pay partial "early" in December 2024 and "late" in January 2024 to get the $400 for upcoming year.

And it still looks promising for the $50/quarter UA Travel Bank (again if you actually fly once/quarter or use Southwest, it's a moot point probably), so there's the $200.

Based strictly on that, there's $600 value which obviously covers the new $550 AF. Then of course, the free night certificate (which value will vary wildly depending on how its used).

Sounds like it's still a keeper in the above case for the Aspire, at least for me.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And it still looks promising for the $50/quarter UA Travel Bank (again if you actually fly once/quarter or use Southwest, it's a moot point probably), so there's the $200.
Or book a cheap ticket quarterly with anyone, cancel and bank the credit to combine for a larger trip.

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Or book a cheap ticket quarterly with anyone, cancel and bank the credit to combine for a larger trip.

Cheers.
It sounds like it has already started so will try this with Delta

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Ok, cool. I missed it while reviewing the new terms. In that case, it's still an okay card, just slightly worse due to the higher AF.

I'm a cardholder with no status and got that discount. @HuskerATL 's screenshot also confirms Amex Delta cardholders get it.
Well, you do now get an extra point (4x) for online shopping. I'm just not sure if I should convert to the Aspire (and why not have the same 4x for online shopping for Aspire that Surpass has? Kind of odd to have a lower benny on the higher end card) now that I have a way (due to HGVC maintenance fees) to use the $400 statement credit making it not super expensive.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
So it sounds like the $400 annual resort credit can be used for MF (although remains to be seen if it will still trigger the credit).
You have to look at the list of resorts, to ensure that your location's MF will quality. Not all locations will. Here is the list to check https://www.hilton.com/en/resorts/

I am glad I rechecked, as Bay Club Waikoloa used to be on this list, but I see that it no longer is. My other resort is still on the list. That will just mean I have to pay in 2 installments, from now on. Jan I am ok, as I will only have 1 resort, but in december I will have to split payments into 2 periods.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
You have to look at the list of resorts, to ensure that your location's MF will quality. Not all locations will. Here is the list to check https://www.hilton.com/en/resorts/

I am glad I rechecked, as Bay Club Waikoloa used to be on this list, but I see that it no longer is. My other resort is still on the list. That will just mean I have to pay in 2 installments, from now on. Jan I am ok, as I will only have 1 resort, but in december I will have to split payments into 2 periods.
That list isn't accurate. That list just takes you to the Hilton site with the resort filter but many qualifying ones are not labeled on the Hilton site as a resort, like Craig Lodges, but still count. I just bought more Craig and it counted for both the 14x and the resort credit.

I think it has more to do with how they are labeled in the transaction in Amex, not if they are in the resort list on Hilton.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As promised, I received this update on the benefits section of the AMEX site. Haven't seen the credit show up in my transactions yet, though.

... and the $50 credit has arrived in my transaction history.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... and the $50 credit has arrived in my transaction history.
So, do we assume that this is really the 2024 Q1 credit showing up early, or is this a lagniappe 2023 Q4 credit in addition to the $250 we already had? Any way of knowing?

Cheers.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, do we assume that this is really the 2024 Q1 credit showing up early, or is this a lagniappe 2023 Q4 credit in addition to the $250 we already had? Any way of knowing?

Cheers.
Details on the changes are provided here:

FAQs say the following about it:

Priority Question #1​

When will the new benefits come into effect?

If you are a Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card Member or a Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Member, your new benefits will automatically come into effect on October 19, 2023.

Exception: For Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Members, the enhanced $400 Hilton Resort Credit will come into effect on January 1, 2024. Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Members can continue to enjoy up to $250 in statement credits for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts with their Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card through December 31, 2023.

If you have a Hilton Honors American Express Card, your benefits will remain the same.

It's a lagniappe.

The other helpful info is that the higher annual fee isn't imposed until your next renewal after 2/1/2024.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
That list isn't accurate. That list just takes you to the Hilton site with the resort filter but many qualifying ones are not labeled on the Hilton site as a resort, like Craig Lodges, but still count. I just bought more Craig and it counted for both the 14x and the resort credit.

I think it has more to do with how they are labeled in the transaction in Amex, not if they are in the resort list on Hilton.

Well that is good news because historically Bay Club has gotten points at 14X and has triggered the $250 credit. But it also used to appear on that list. Some of the NYC properties don't trigger the 14X, are they are NOT on that list. In the past I thought it had been pretty reliable.