• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Renting a Timeshare?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
My comment was about "real estate" - was in regard to someone's coment that you can't use PayPal for real estate transactions, but "real estate" refers to buying and selling real estate - not timeshare rentals. You can use PayPal for timeshare rentals.

Paypal requiries you to use the "Pay for Goods and Services" payment method for all business transactions (renting.) Friends and Family payments are only for gifting money to friends and family.

*Lots of people use the Friends and Family method for payments, for occasional timeshare rentals, and don't get caught. But the renter may know that it's not permitted and balk at using it. Also, if you use that method, you can't send the renter a PayPal Invoice, and the renter has no PayPal protection.

ALL "Pay for Goods and Services" payments have a transaction fee, regardless of the source of the money.

An echeck is just a bank transfer - the payment is pulled from the renter's bank account, and transferred to your PayPal Acct.. The renter decides what the source of their payment will be. They can also pay with a credit card, or funds in their PayPal Acct.

thanks Denise! I've only ever sent Invoices, and everyone has always opted to use a credit card, but good to know.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This was my personal experience: About 18 mos. ago, PayPal sent me a letter which they asked me to sign, and have notarized, and return to them, stating that I would only use my PayPal account for rentals, and not for buying or selling real estate. I signed it and returned it and continued renting timeshares with no issues.

This has resulted in no change to my rental process - I still send out invoices, and 2.9% is deducted from all PayPal payments that I receive.

I can still send money to my kids or other family members using the friends and family function - no fee.

cassvilleokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Hawaii fixed weeks and Points, Wyndham Points, Marriott, Mass, Holiday Inn (previous Silverleaf) Worldmark, Vista Mirage, Shell Hawaii collection, Star Island, Orange Lake, KBC, Fractional and Full.
Clarification: Renting a timeshare is not a real estate transaction. PayPal does permit rentals, and it doesn't fall under the real es
My comment was about "real estate" - was in regard to someone's coment that you can't use PayPal for real estate transactions, but "real estate" refers to buying and selling real estate - not timeshare rentals. You can use PayPal for timeshare rentals.

Paypal requiries you to use the "Pay for Goods and Services" payment method for all business transactions (renting.) Friends and Family payments are only for gifting money to friends and family.

*Lots of people use the Friends and Family method for payments, for occasional timeshare rentals, and don't get caught. But the renter may know that it's not permitted and balk at using it. Also, if you use that method, you can't send the renter a PayPal Invoice, and the renter has no PayPal protection.

ALL "Pay for Goods and Services" payments have a transaction fee, regardless of the source of the money.

An echeck is just a bank transfer - the payment is pulled from the renter's bank account, and transferred to your PayPal Acct.. The renter decides what the source of their payment will be. They can also pay with a credit card, or funds in their PayPal Acct.

Denise,
I got caught in this, here is TOS for Paypal.
What is PayPal's policy regarding the sale of real property?
You can’t use PayPal to buy or sell real property, including buildings, land, or anything affixed to the land.

Besides the direct sale of real property, we also don’t allow transactions that involve:

• Raffles or lotteries offering the opportunity to purchase or the chance to win a specific house.
  • Real estate auctions that allow prospective buyers to sort through property listings and place bids on the property they want. There are many variations on what it takes to win. Typically, though, the winner is the highest bidder or the person whose bid is closest to the actual value of the house.
  • Reverse auctions offering properties for sale not to the highest bidder, but to the person who has the lowest unique bid. In a reverse auction you usually have to pay an administration or bidder’s fee before you can make a bid.
  • Tax lien certificate auctions in which prospective buyers place bids on tax lien certificates. These are certificates that represent a claim, or partial claim, on a property for the sum of unpaid taxes. The winning bidder becomes the property’s new lien holder.
  • Timeshare transactions -- offers to buy, sell, or rent rights to the periodic se of a property. A timeshare is real estate that is jointly owned by people who share the right to use the property and take turns using it.
This is the diercy link https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/...cy-regarding-the-sale-of-real-property-faq799