• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AARP?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Denny's told me the AARP discount was only for seniors over age 60 :(

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Denny's told me the AARP discount was only for seniors over age 60 :(

I think you were ripped... That's not in the terms of the benefit. :annoyed:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I think you were ripped... That's not in the terms of the benefit. :annoyed:

Good to know if I am ever back in a Denny's (not our favorite place to dine out).

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use the hotel/rental car discounts sometimes, via the AARP/Expedia website. The discount I really like though, is the one at Regal Cinemas...you get a small popcorn and a small soda for $5.50; all you have to do is present your card, and you get the discount. We're not crazy about the magazine, but there are some nice tidbits in it occasionally.

We went to one of their annual conventions, and found that to be sort of fun. Some good information there, and lots of stuff to look at. I can't remember for sure, but the registration fee was about $25. Not bad.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I use the discount at our Pearle Vision every time we buy glasses (and all 4 of us need them). They compute my different discount options - one via my medical plan, one using their current ad promo, and the AARP one. AARP always ends up being the cheapest for me.

We also use them for hotel discounts. And I guess I should more closely review the discount list!

Their magazine is OK, but I really like the small "newspaper" style piece we get as well. That often has pieces of info that are useful to us, especially as we help my MIL with her issues. For example, reminders about the timing to sign up for next year's drug plan (dates changed this year), the link on where to compare the various plans and costs, etc. Having that info has been worth the membership to us.

I've also worked with AARP as a potential partner when I was employed at a big consumer products company. They clearly know the value of the access they can provide to their huge membership, a demographic that more companies are starting to value for its disposable income. As someone who pays dues, I get annoyed that I'm bombarded by all the promotions from their partners. I know that because a company is "AARP connected" doesn't necessarily make them the best value, but I suspect there are many seniors who don't recognize that. I belong to other membership organizations that do that same thing, but someone the AARP stuff bothers me more.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: car rental discounts, there are AARP codes listed on their website for many of the national companies. This code can be entered as a "discount code" during the reservation search at the car company's website. Sometimes when you log in with a membership number you have with the auto rental company (e.g. Hertz Gold #1) you receive the Hertz discount PLUS an additional discount from the AARP code.

But an additional AARP benefit that many people do not know about is that AARP provides additional insurance coverage, at NO extra cost, when your AARP membership number is entered on the rental contract at the time you pick up the vehicle.

Here's an example posted at the AARP website for a Hertz rental:
Enhanced Primary Liability Coverage - $25,000/$50,000/$10,000. Maximum Responsibility Cap - For damages to the rental car if you decline the collision/loss/damage waiver.

There are similar insurance benefits listed for some of the other major companies.

Maddle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: car rental discounts, there are AARP codes listed on their website for many of the national companies. This code can be entered as a "discount code" during the reservation search ...

But an additional AARP benefit that many people do not know about is that AARP provides additional insurance coverage, at NO extra cost, when your AARP membership number is entered on the rental contract at the time you pick up the vehicle.

Now, that's pretty cool - do you have to have used the AARP code to have secured the rental to begin with in order to get the additional insurance? (In other words, if I use a Costco discount to get the car, can I get the additional AARP insurance?) Also - will it negate any coverage provided by my credit card?

I know those are detailed questions - I hope someone has experience with it.

In the meantime, I guess I will go re-price my upcoming reservation.

Thanks -

Maddle

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lawyer use

I saw today that they also offer a free amount of time with a lawyer on their list plus discounted lawyer service with their listed lawyers.
Bart