• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

5 day cancellation (Solmar in Cabo)

u238ed

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New here. I found the forums by searching for more information on the TS I just purchased in Cabo over Thanksgiving.

After 5 hours of reading through all the threads I could find, I came to the conclusion that I made a mistake in my purchase. The salesman lied to me (promised 3 weeks, it's actually only one), and I really don't think this is the right choice for my family. Regardless of the reasons, I just want to get out of the deal and under Mexican law I have 5 days to do so.

The same day of purchase I sent an email to the email on the forms to Mr Calleros expressing my interest to cancel. I basically copy/pasted a version of this cancellation email (http://mexisham-timeshare.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-i-spent-my-winter-vacation.html). This was at 11/25/2012 at 11pm.

I didn't receive a response on 11/26 so I went down to the local PROFECO office in Cabo and filed a formal complaint with Solmar's parent company.

On 11/27 I received an email from Solmar and they said they needed 7 business days to respond to my email.

Does anyone have any idea why they might be delaying? Should I go ahead and send a certified letter to them even though they responded to my cancellation email (confirming that they have indeed received my cancellation request)?

Any help here would be great!

Thanks, TUGers!

u238ed

Last edited:

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

New here. I found the forums by searching for more information on the TS I just purchased in Cabo over Thanksgiving.

After 5 hours of reading through all the threads I could find, I came to the conclusion that I made a mistake in my purchase. The salesman lied to me (promised 3 weeks, it's actually only one), and I really don't think this is the right choice for my family. Regardless of the reasons, I just want to get out of the deal and under Mexican law I have 5 days to do so.

The same day of purchase I sent an email to the email on the forms to Mr Calleros expressing my interest to cancel. I basically copy/pasted a version of this cancellation email (http://mexisham-timeshare.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-i-spent-my-winter-vacation.html). This was at 11/25/2012 at 11pm.

I didn't receive a response on 11/26 so I went down to the local PROFECO office in Cabo and filed a formal complaint with Solmar's parent company.

On 11/27 I received an email from Solmar and they said they needed 7 business days to respond to my email.

Does anyone have any idea why they might be delaying? Should I go ahead and send a certified letter to them even though they responded to my cancellation email (confirming that they have indeed received my cancellation request)?

Any help here would be great!

Thanks, TUGers!

u238ed

Yes, I have an idea why they might be delaying. They want to steal your money and cheat you. Plain and simple.

While you were in Cabo, instead of going to the office to complain, you should have gone to the post office and mailed Solmar a letter of cancellation via registered mail (with proof of mailing etc). Anyhow, I would still printout the email that they received your email for cancellation, and mail that via registered mail to be safe.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Developers and their sales weasels hate rescissions and do absolute minimum to comply with laws.

They generally harshly enforce terms so one must be very meticulous in doing.

Generally specify notice must be sent via certified or registered mail to a specific address and post marked by deadline. So, you are down to wire.

I am pretty sure e-mailing sales manager is a waste of time and he will stall.

Likewise, I do not think filing a complaint with a government agency complies.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
Here is the phone number for the Profeco office in Mexico City. Call them today to see if you need to send a certified letter of rescission. Call today
52 55 5211 1723

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck to you! We experienced a similar situation in January of this year with the Grand Solmar sales people lying to us. We ultimately got out of the deal, but only because I was relentless on their Facebook page, and posted many bad reviews everywhere I could think of, including here.

Michelle

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
Also call your credit card company and let them know you have filed for rescission and you are contesting the charge. Ask them to open a case.

Last edited:

u238ed

Reaction score
Just a quick update. Everything was cancelled and I was refunded. I did end up sending a certified letter as soon as I got back to the US. I also contacted AmEx and had them start a refund. All good now!

Thanks for all your help!

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great to hear; thanks for posting! We love success stories :)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Just a quick update. Everything was cancelled and I was refunded. I did end up sending a certified letter as soon as I got back to the US. I also contacted AmEx and had them start a refund. All good now!

Thanks for all your help!
Excellent! Thanks for posting.:clap:

patnov16

Reaction score
Help need grand solmar address and email address

We just purchased the timeshare at Grand Solmar on Dec 19. and are trying to cancel the contract w/in the 5 business day window. We've drafted a letter only to find the contract doesn't list an address, phone number, or email address. Obviously this is one of their tactics to prevent consumers from rescinding contracts. Can anyone who has successfully received a refund with with Grand Solmar confirm that this is the address to send the letter to?

Also can any provide the correct email address?

Grand Solmar Land’s End Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Av. Solmar No. 1A Col. Centro
Cabo San Lucas, BCS, C.P. 23450
México 23450

Thank you for the help!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't help you with the address if it isn't in the contract somewhere, but if it was me, I'd hand carry it right into the PROFECO office in Cabo. They'll open a file, provide you with the necessary address, and hold the developer's feet to the fire to treat you fairly. Here are instructions, and the directions to the office are in about the 3rd paragraph. http://caborealestate.me/2011/05/13/living-in-los-cabos-going-to-profeco/

Good Luck!

Jim

patnov16

Reaction score
Thanks Jim! We are actually back in the U.S. so we cannot get it to the Cabo office. :(

I actually emailed the resort earlier and copied PROFECO, only to get an auto response from PROFECO saying that they are closed until Jan 7th, 2015. I tried their 1-800 numbers and get a weird voicemail saying "this number is not in service". If PROFECO is not working, I am not sure if they will still be able to verify the fact that we send the request within 5 business days ... is there anything else we can do, or should do??

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
patnov16, can you just use the physical address of the resort that you posted in post #10? Send a certified rescission letter to that address and get a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it. That will be your proof that you rescinded within the five business days.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with Karen. And don't worry about Profeco being closed. You can bring them into the picture if needed should you run into problems with the cancellation--save all the documentation as proof.

You may also want to alert your CC (if you used one) that you're trying to rescind.

Bstone

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Solmar
Good luck to you! We experienced a similar situation in January of this year with the Grand Solmar sales people lying to us. We ultimately got out of the deal, but only because I was relentless on their Facebook page, and posted many bad reviews everywhere I could think of, including here.

Michelle
Hi Michelle,

Any advice? I tried emailing Grand Solmar and kept getting responses that the inbox was full and note accepting emails. I am not sure which avenue to pursue? Any recommendations?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Michelle,

Any advice? I tried emailing Grand Solmar and kept getting responses that the inbox was full and note accepting emails. I am not sure which avenue to pursue? Any recommendations?
Hi @Bstone
Welcome to TUG

This is an 11 year old thread and Michelle last visited TUG in 2021

If your in the 5 day period and wish to rescind - get to the post office tomorrow & keep copies and
a receipt that shows the date mailed.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Michelle,

Send it via the Mexican Post Office or the United States Postal Service using REGISTERED MAIL and retain your receipt. It is the date of mailing which counts (not when they receive it).

There is a reason their inbox is full and it is very likely to delay you from rescinding within the five day time limit. Sorry to be blunt but most of these Mexican Timeshares are not the most ethical folks to do business with. A great move to rescind!

Moonster

Reaction score
Hi Michelle,

You're going to want to send them a written cancellation letter stating you're exercising your right to a refund within 5 days under mexican consumer protection law, some good templates can be found on mescam.com . It is of the utmost importance that your cancellation letter be traceable so you will want to send your cancellation letter via registered mail through a reputable shipping company such as FedEx, DHL don't use the Mexican postal system unless you want your letters to get lost. Your other option would be to in addition to mailing the letter would be to get the letter signed AND stamped by a representative at the hotel (with a copy for yourself) if you're still staying at the hotel.

Lastly PROFECO is a great help but if you're dealing with a really bad company that just doesn't want to comply with the law they won't be much help, they can only mediate between you and the company.

If they're not willing to refund your money you can file a dispute with your credit card company, I have lots of useful information to that effect on my thread about Sunset World.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of a "REGISTERED MAIL" product thru FedEx or DHL . REGISTERED MAIL is a worldwide product available (and recognized) in every Country's Postal Service (and not a private package delivery service such as UPS, FedEx or DHL) .

As for delivery? REGISTERED MAIL is a product that moves slower because it must be signed for EVERY time a different person takes control of it. And the Postmark date actually dictates the time the letter enters the mail stream, and the actual date of mailing (Postmark) is the date which really counts in the legal world for rescission paperwork.

DkBalboa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen
I’m new here and could use any information about my issue.

I purchased Bluegreen in Las Vegas on March 21 NV, states I have 5 days up until midnight to rescission. I have my letter typed ready to mail in the morning if it’s postmarked on the 5th day is it fine. The thing is it’s Sunday my 5th day I will have to FedEx it or UPS it. I hope this will work. Does anyone have any other helpful information?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I’m new........information about my issue.

I purchased Bluegreen in Las Vegas on March 21 NV, states I have 5 days up until midnight to rescission. I have my letter typed ready to mail in the morning if it’s postmarked on the 5th day is it fine. The thing is it’s Sunday my 5th day I will have to FedEx it or UPS it. I hope this will work. Does anyone have any other helpful information?
Hi @DkBalboa
You should follow the instructions in your Bluegreen contract. DO IT MONDAY - as you stated .Send it USPS (post office ) REGISTERED - as that date stamps it;
As @TheTimeTraveler er posted above .

(The 5 days is for Mexico .)

edited - do what is required by Nevada

Last edited:

DkBalboa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen
The contract states 5 calendar days that would make today the final day, hence why FedEx or UPS. Contract states it can be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, or sent by express, priority or recognized overnight delivery service, with proof of service.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
The contract states 5 calendar days that would make today the final day, hence why FedEx or UPS. Contract states it can be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, or sent by express, priority or recognized overnight delivery service, with proof of service.
then you should send it today, just be sure to have proof

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Some USPS Offices are open 24 Hours per day 7 days per week, i.e. the one at PDX.