• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 day Starwood II priority gone???

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, is this Starwood 3 day II trading priority with II written in any documents formally? I am very curious because for the second time in less than a month, a large banking of units have been accessible to people with non-Starwood units right away. Are Starwood and II making mistakes in how they list these units?

Or is Starwood trying to hurt their owners (AGAIN)???

Or am I missing something?? When Marriott has the 24 day priority, there is NO WAY I can see the deposits at all with my Starwood units. How is it that others can see our (short 3 day) priority with non-Starwood units right away?

Has anyone actually found some sort of official documentation of the priority period for Starwood owners? Or is this something that just has been "tradition" and Starwood can take away at any time???

Because if Starwood is choosing to take this feature away, I am selling all my units and getting out of the system NOW.

Katherine

Last edited:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adding fuel to the fire, I found this post from someone on another board:

... I called II to see what they could grab for me [at WKORV]. The above is all I can see with a Starwood deposit. However, they put me on hold and came back to say that he could give me a 2BR to match against the non-Starwood unit that I had an ongoing search that I had put in place quite a number of months ago for this time frame. Go figure.

Soooooo, ongoing non-Starwood owners get into the 3day priority too???

Whaaaaaa???

Katherine

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Now Kath, you know that Starwood would NEVER change the rules without telling us.... :D

On a more serious note - is this a Starwood screw up or a II screw up?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
It doesn't sound like the window has been taken away as much as a block has been put into place. Because even if the priority was taken away, there's no reason why a Starwood deposit wouldn't have been able to see another Starwood unit at the same time that the non-Starwood deposits could see it.

I'm wondering if Starwood hasn't imposed a Starwood: Starwood block to expose their properties to more non-owners with the intention that once they see how nice the properties are, they'll buy?

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to add...my experience (originally posted in the "Sightings" thread).

Yeah, let me clarify. I am a SBP owner. I did a search with a fake (not yet deposited) 2009 week and saw weeks which were not listed in JerseyGirls original post (mainly a May 2-9th WKORV week that would butt up against the May 9-16 week I already had). Rather than deal with the Starwood deposit drama, I decided to put in an ongoing request with my WorldMark.

Lo and behold, when I searched again with my fake 2009 SBP week (about a half hour later...when I started getting paranoid and thinking I should just call Starwood and see if I cold get a week deposited FAST), the May 2-9 week had disappeared! I silently cursed myself and figured I had rolled the dice and lost. NOT SO. In the wee hours of the morning the next day, I received a confirmation certificate via e-mail.

Now, I believe there are only a few possibilities that explain what happened:

1) Someone grabbed my week and then later relinquished it, and it filled my request.

2) More weeks were deposited by Starwood after I placed my request.

3) Behind the scenes, II immediately pulled the week when I made the request and I got the notification with the "batch" process that they run in the wee hours every morning.

My observation: 1&2 are VERY unlikely...but possible. Regardless, even if one of those 2 things happened, it is obvious the 72 hour preference does not apply to ongoing requests.

The most concerning is if #3 is what really happened. Why? Because it means we are essentially destroying our own 72 hour preference by posting on the sightings board. If anyone can initiate a ongoing request after seeing a sighting and have it pull the inventory right away, it defeats any advantage we have. On the other hand, it DOES possibly open a new debate about trading strategy for those of us who own other resorts - I am thrilled to have got my week using WorldMark and keeping my SBP '09 available for snagging something else.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Just to add...my experience (originally posted in the "Sightings" thread).

Yeah, let me clarify. I am a SBP owner. I did a search with a fake (not yet deposited) 2009 week and saw weeks which were not listed in JerseyGirls original post (mainly a May 2-9th WKORV week that would butt up against the May 9-16 week I already had). Rather than deal with the Starwood deposit drama, I decided to put in an ongoing request with my WorldMark.

Lo and behold, when I searched again with my fake 2009 SBP week (about a half hour later...when I started getting paranoid and thinking I should just call Starwood and see if I cold get a week deposited FAST), the May 2-9 week had disappeared! I silently cursed myself and figured I had rolled the dice and lost. NOT SO. In the wee hours of the morning the next day, I received a confirmation certificate via e-mail.

1) Someone grabbed my week and then later relinquished it, and it filled my request.

3) Behind the scenes, II immediately pulled the week when I made the request and I got the notification with the "batch" process that they run in the wee hours every morning.

My observation: 1&2 are VERY unlikely...but possible. Regardless, even if one of those 2 things happened, it is obvious the 72 hour preference does not apply to ongoing requests.

The most concerning is if #3 is what really happened. Why? Because it means we are essentially destroying our own 72 hour preference by posting on the sightings board. If anyone can initiate a ongoing request after seeing a sighting and have it pull the inventory right away, it defeats any advantage we have. On the other hand, it DOES possibly open a new debate about trading strategy for those of us who own other resorts - I am thrilled to have got my week using WorldMark and keeping my SBP '09 available for snagging something else.

I am just going to point out that NOT ALL STARWOOD WEEKS TRADE THE SAME.

When I search for sightings/Starwoods - MOST times, I can see the most Starwood weeks with a summer deposited SBP.

example:
deposited summer 1BR SBP - I see 30 units, 1 and 2BRs
undeposited summer 1BR SBP - usually the same but not always - maybe 26-28 1 & 2BRs
undeposited shoulder week, late fall week 44 - would see 23-25 and mostly 1BRs

deposited 1BR PGA March week - from the original 30 - maybe 20, mostly 1BRs
undeposited 2BR PGA March week - 24-26 1 and 2BRs
undeposited 1BR PGA shoulder week 44 - maybe 10 units
undeposited 2BR PGA shoulder week 44 - 16-18 units - more 2BRs then above.

This is why the week that you deposit in II is VERY important......because a STRONG non-Starwood week will get an exchange before a weak Starwood one.

Also remember that II is fluid - constantly changing - someone can post a sighting at 10:30 - you can go at 10:40 and only see half of what was posted and then go back in 1 hour and see MORE of whatwas posted - every time people click on the exchange button - it takes that deposit 'out of sight' for 18 minutes to 1 hour - people either confirm or throw it back.

This happens ALL the time

This also happens but these weeks would normally be under the Starwood preference

3) Behind the scenes, II immediately pulled the week when I made the request and I got the notification with the "batch" process that they run in the wee hours every morning
This is what happened - as soon as you placed your request, it was matched. This is how an ongoing search works. The week you got was already beyond the Starwood preference period.

Last edited:

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kath: Hmmmm, at one time you were touting Starwood and I see some changes occurring??? They'll get what 'comes around' when this whole timeshare selling takes a big nose-dive.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, is this Starwood 3 day II trading priority with II written in any documents formally? I am very curious because for the second time in less than a month, a large banking of units have been accessible to people with non-Starwood units right away. Are Starwood and II making mistakes in how they list these units?

Or is Starwood trying to hurt their owners (AGAIN)???

Or am I missing something?? When Marriott has the 24 day priority, there is NO WAY I can see the deposits at all with my Starwood units. How is it that others can see our (short 3 day) priority with non-Starwood units right away?

Has anyone actually found some sort of official documentation of the priority period for Starwood owners? Or is this something that just has been "tradition" and Starwood can take away at any time???

Because if Starwood is choosing to take this feature away, I am selling all my units and getting out of the system NOW.

Katherine
Even though a week is under the Marriott preference, it is not guarenteed to go to a Marriott week owner.
You still have to have the required trading power.

example: a June week is deposited at Manor Club in late June. I request it in in early July with my Platinum 2BR SBP at the same time a Bronze 2BR MAR Shadow Ridge owner requests it. The bronze week is not strong enough to get this - once the week is out of the 21 day preference period, it will match to my week...a non MAR trade.

Also, within the 60 day window, the MAR preference period is reduced from 21/24 days to as little as 3 days....but that is another mystery with II.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grayfal,

I totally understand your post, but I don't know what it has to do with the bottom line: is there REALLY any 72 hour priority (or, WHAT exactly is the 72 hour priority??)

Regardless of the strength of the Starwood week, the bottom line is that I was able to pull a unit with a NON Starwood week.

At BEST II filled my NON Starwood request about 12 hours after I placed it (meaning, it really did fill the request in the middle of the night when I received my confirmation)

At WORST II filled my NON Starwood request as soon as I placed it (or within minutes).

BOTH negate that there is ANY 72 hour "preference" for Starwood,

If there was a preference, the units would have sat for 72 hours, giving Starwood owners with strong enough weeks a chance to pull the unit, BEFORE filling my NON Starwood request.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grayfal,

I totally understand your post, but I don't know what it has to do with the bottom line: is there REALLY any 72 hour priority (or, WHAT exactly is the 72 hour priority??)

Regardless of the strength of the Starwood week, the bottom line is that I was able to pull a unit with a NON Starwood week.

At BEST II filled my NON Starwood request about 12 hours after I placed it (meaning, it really did fill the request in the middle of the night when I received my confirmation)

At WORST II filled my NON Starwood request as soon as I placed it (or within minutes).

BOTH negate that there is ANY 72 hour "preference" for Starwood,

If there was a preference, the units would have sat for 72 hours, giving Starwood owners with strong enough weeks a chance to pull the unit, BEFORE filling my NON Starwood request.
True - but the real question is - do we KNOW when every week is deposited?

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
3) Behind the scenes, II immediately pulled the week when I made the request and I got the notification with the "batch" process that they run in the wee hours every morning
This is what happened - as soon as you placed your request, it was matched. This is how an ongoing search works. The week you got was already beyond the Starwood preference period.[/B]

THIS IS THE POINT THOUGH! The week WAS NOT beyond the preference period. It was JUST deposited on the same day! How do I know? I've been checking availability with a fake SBP deposit every morning for over a month. And I'm sure I'm not alone as JerseyGirl who posted the sighting has been doing the same.

In other words I was able to fill a ongiong request with a NON Starwood with in minutes or hours of it being deposited. Therefore, NO Starwood preference.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I watched those Maui deposits for the entire day, logging in several different times to see how fast they disappeared. It was not very long before all the two-bedrooms were gone completely, probably about six hours from the first time I saw them, about 8:30 Eastern Time. That's not even a day!

It seems that II has a priority period, but they must have pulled these for ongoing searches after a few hours. I don't get it, but it just makes it obvious that I will have to watch for my exchange possibilities every morning and never skip it, unless I am on vacation, of course. :D

Kimberly614

TUG Member
Reaction score
The priority is still in place; I think II just messes up sometimes. With the big Harborside deposit last Friday, I put in my request before the sighting was even posted on tug (I saw it posted very early at TS4Ms). And then I waited. And waited.

I couldn't sleep Sunday night because I knew that I would know early Monday morning if the trade went through(yes, I am addicted). So, I finally checked at about 4am - my search had matched.

The 3 day priority was definitely in place for that banking.

I think II just messes up. I've said it before; my trade for this XMas was made when I saw the week online. Problem is - I had an ongoing search for the same week/resort. I shouldn't have had to have seen it online. And possibly, the week should have went to someone who was in line in front of me.

II makes mistakes.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
THIS IS THE POINT THOUGH! The week WAS NOT beyond the preference period. It was JUST deposited on the same day! How do I know? I've been checking availability with a fake SBP deposit every morning for over a month. And I'm sure I'm not alone as JerseyGirl who posted the sighting has been doing the same.

In other words I was able to fill a ongoing request with a NON Starwood with in minutes or hours of it being deposited. Therefore, NO Starwood preference.
Okay - there is no Starwood preference :shrug:

Politico

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't someone just call or write II and ask them if there is a Starwood Pereference? If so, how long does it last? And, does it apply to ongoing searches? I imagine that person would have to speak to a supervisor or someone higher up.

I'm not sure there is any reason that they would want to hide that information?

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I apologize...I don't mean to come off so frustrated BUT I just feel like we should be aware of exactly what, if any, Starwood priority there is. To me it is obvious, at best, the priority limits viewing of units sitting in II inventory to Starwood units for 72 hours. Ongoing requests can trump this, no matter the unit used (Starwood or not). I guess my frustration is that I always assumed it worked like this:

Starwood Deposit -> Fill Starwood requests -> leftover into inventory for 72 hours (viewable by Starwood only) -> Fill NON Starwood requests -> leftover into inventory for all.

Apparently it works like this:

Starwood Deposit -> Fill ALL open requests -> leftover into inventory for 72 hours (viewable by Starwood only, but new request can be placed and take it) -> leftover into inventory for all.

Also, I feel like this is not as good as the Marriott preference as when Marriott sightings are posted, I can place a request and watch the Marriott deposit sit there open to the Marriott preference for weeks before my request is finally filled. (In other words I feel like the Marriott preference DOES work like the first example...)

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The priority is still in place; I think II just messes up sometimes.

I agree. This isn't just a Starwood issue. It happens across the board for all resorts.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't someone just call or write II and ask them if there is a Starwood Pereference? If so, how long does it last? And, does it apply to ongoing searches? I imagine that person would have to speak to a supervisor or someone higher up.

I'm not sure there is any reason that they would want to hide that information?

I've done this and Starwood /II deny the existance of a preference period.This preference period was discovered by long time traders here (with excellent reputations for being accuate) who conduct trade tests daily. It seems to be hit and miss thats why I had questioned in another thread if this should be considered in the Starwood FAQ's.:shrug:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I apologize...I don't mean to come off so frustrated BUT I just feel like we should be aware of exactly what, if any, Starwood priority there is. To me it is obvious, at best, the priority limits viewing of units sitting in II inventory to Starwood units for 72 hours. Ongoing requests can trump this, no matter the unit used (Starwood or not). I guess my frustration is that I always assumed it worked like this:

Starwood Deposit -> Fill Starwood requests -> leftover into inventory for 72 hours (viewable by Starwood only) -> Fill NON Starwood requests -> leftover into inventory for all.

Starwood Deposit -> Fill ALL open requests -> leftover into inventory for 72 hours (viewable by Starwood only, but new request can be placed and take it) -> leftover into inventory for all.

Also, I feel like this is not as good as the Marriott preference as when Marriott sightings are posted, I can place a request and watch the Marriott deposit sit there open to the Marriott preference for weeks before my request is finally filled. (In other words I feel like the Marriott preference DOES work like the first example...)

I have 12 different ownerships in my II account (and yes, I am in a 12 step program :D ) and I routinely search with these weeks as I am sure you do as well.

Sometimes there are 'glitches' with II that allow things to happen - I am happy u got your request BUT - I know 6 people personally who could NOT see the Harborside sighting with non-Starwood weeks - but immediately put in ongoing requests and were matched when the 3 day period was over.
I could see the deposit with my Starwood weeks and NOT with 6 other ownerships until the 3 day preference was over.

Just another possibility of why u matched - the week that u were confirmed into was taken by a Starwood owner and then canceled - so no longer had the 'preference' attached to it. I have seen that happen with Marriott weeks....but we just can't be sure.

The reason we know there is a Starwood preference is because several years ago, ArtsieAng started to notice that she could 'see' the Starwood weeks deposited with her Starwood week and NOT her Marriott week for a period of 1 to 3 days.....it is not written in stone or anywhere for that matter as far as any of us know.
If you call II - the 'regular' people don't appear to know about it...but it is there - does it work all the time, no - most of the time - yes.

Last edited:

Politico

TUG Member
Reaction score

No need to apologize. As an owner with 2 Starwood units in escrow, I am equally dismayed. I just wonder why II or Starwood would not want to be up front with owners about the preference or lack thereof. Spelling out the rules clearly is always the best customer service.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No need to apologize. As an owner with 2 Starwood units in escrow, I am equally dismayed. I just wonder why II or Starwood would not want to be up front with owners about the preference or lack thereof. Spelling out the rules clearly is always the best customer service.
They want to keep the weeks in the SVN/StarOption program - hence they have no interest in promoting the II program.

and they don't care about the resale owners.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
They want to keep the weeks in the SVN/StarOption program - hence they have no interest in promoting the II program.

and they don't care about the resale owners.

I think that sums it up completely....

Starwood is in business to sell new timeshares - what possible motivation could they have for promoting II or resales? It ain't gonna happen....

And while it would be wonderful if we could just call up Starwood or II and get accurate info., it has been proven over and over, that this forum is a far more accurate source of correct info. about Starwood.

Last edited:

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now Kath, you know that Starwood would NEVER change the rules without telling us.... :D

On a more serious note - is this a Starwood screw up or a II screw up?

Denise, all of the deposits are actually done by Starwood employees in Orlando, FL. This may still not answer your question; however, this may imply that there has been a rule change.

I would be curious to find out how the ocupancy mix changes at the resorts. Will you see more non-owners on exchange than usual? Sounds like this would be a sales based decision.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting point. Bring in more non-Starwood people into Starwood resorts and then you have waaay more potential customers. Great tactic, once again completely obliterating actual Starwood owners. I hope James you are wrong about that "tactic".

So my friend got one of those WKORV weeks with Foxrun within 6 hours of the bulk bank appearing. So is that a "powerful" trader that should overcome the 3 day priority??

I am really, really, really hoping that these bankings are being put in by some Starwood II newbie who doesn't know how to do it right....

And really, if it IS a policy change -- then you are hurting all owners, not just resale owners. Because a unit in II can come from someone who bought it for $1 on eBay or someone who paid $40,000 via Starwood. Worse, the people who paid $40,000 via Starwood usually have no control over what week is deposited in II, so they end up with even WEAKER weeks to trade than the $1 eBay week resale. Soooo, really you are hurting your own biggest customers the most! :annoyed:

Katherine

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too have observed the preference period in force, but not always. A knowledgeable II rep has confirmed to me the existence of the Starwood preference, but it is not applied to every deposit. When Starwood bulk deposits with II, either Starwood or II (not sure which one has the responsibility) has to flag the weeks as under the preference period. If they don't flag the weeks, either intentionally or by mistake, then it's a free-for-all.

So, sometimes there is a preference period and sometimes there is not. I have seen bulk deposits wherein some of the weeks (the prime weeks) are under preference and other weeks are not. This tells me that the prime weeks were flagged and the shoulder weeks were not, and this was likely done on purpose.