• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2020 Ko Olina Lockoff, then late deposit to II due to COVID -- Any suggestions?

vpplayer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Ko Olina OV (deed)
We have annual deeded 2-BR OV at MKO and like many others, will typically split our 2BR into Studio and 1-BR to get two consecutive weeks (always stay at our home resort) . We did so for our Oct 2020 reservation and at the deadline for late deposit made the informed decision to take the risk and press ahead the reservation as it appeared HI was going to loosen the travel restrictions. Not too long after that it became obvious that HI COVID restrictions would continue, so we reluctantly canceled and late deposited in II (with Oct 2022 expiration, which I believe I could pay to extend), without a lot of hope for anything close to equitable, especially given the less-than 60-day limit to search and lock in the exchange in II.

It's even worse than I thought. I constantly search II exchanges and find nothing of comparable value, that is, of the few properties that are available, most are not that desirable (off season). So far, I have not found any exchanges that aren't also available at getaway prices.

It was a risk I took so I'm not blaming MVC nor II, but it is perhaps illustrative that the trading value of a locked-off units even at a higher-end resort seems to virtually destroy trading value within II.

So be it. Now i have two deposits in II to use, and if anyone has advice or a tip to optimize usage of the two, I will definitely listen. I don't have high hopes, but I did want to share my experience perhaps as a cautionary tale.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should pay attention to sighting board as several kind TUGgers like @marmite and @GrayFal who regularly post high quality resort sightings on the board. I had a similar issue with re-trades and late cancellation due to COVID last year and was restricted to 59-day trades. I was given a cancellation replacement (Vistana) week, which was to due to expire in February next year and I traded into a week at Palm Desert in January. I was surprised that the Vistana priority carried over to the replacement week as well as discounted trade fees for Vistana-Vistana.

Last edited:

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
@vpplayer I would recommend using the 'watch' button to subscribe to the Sightings forum. You can even choose for those to be sent to you by email if it is easier for you to monitor what is coming up through your email using your phone.

If you can figure out the exact resorts you would want to travel to (and dates you would be able to travel), you can also put in a Sightings request so we can PM you if something comes up that we see. The more you search, the more great stuff you will see but the inventory moves quickly. If I post a sighting and by the time you search for it, it is gone, it may only be on an 18 minute hold while someone is contemplating it. I find the same resorts show up again and again throughout the day, but I don't bump my thread each time they appear.

If I have ever posted something and you want me to watch for it to come back, please feel free to PM me and I will try my best to catch it again.

I agree that it is hard to feel something is comparable to an OV Hawaii, but using II you also have the opportunity to turn each studio or one bedroom into a two bedroom unit (or larger) somewhere. Some of the best opportunities are in the last-minute Flexchange listings, so if there is somewhere you can go on short notice you may be surprised at finding a great week.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
@vpplayer Some of the best opportunities are in the last-minute Flexchange listings, so if there is somewhere you can go on short notice you may be surprised at finding a great week.

This is so very very true. I had given up on going to Key West this month, which I had planned to do. Naturally after already making other plans, last night a 2BR week at the Hyatt Residence Club there showed up (HWP). Had I have not given up, I'd be headed there soon. It's nice within 60 days as no upsize fees apply. Over 20 years, some of my best exchanges have been within 60 days.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
This is so very very true. I had given up on going to Key West this month, which I had planned to do. Naturally after already making other plans, last night a 2BR week at the Hyatt Residence Club there showed up (HWP). Had I have not given up, I'd be headed there soon. It's nice within 60 days as no upsize fees apply. Over 20 years, some of my best exchanges have been within 60 days.
Actually, Hyatt Florida weeks is exactly what I was thinking of. I have been posting many Hyatt weeks recently, possibly even that HWP (was it Dec 11th?). If travelling to Hawaii is off the table (my personal favourite search), then in my mind there is still some good value to be had especially if @vpplayer was interested in a Hyatt or Four Seasons week.

With Covid I think a lot of us had to give up some great weeks either owned or exchanges (I gave up 3 Westin Nanea weeks myself). I am actually pretty happy overall what II did to help me salvage my vacations and find something useable, even if staying close to home wasn't my preference.

I absolutely agree though, my best exchange yet was in Flexchange.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, Hyatt Florida weeks is exactly what I was thinking of. I have been posting many Hyatt weeks recently, possibly even that HWP (was it Dec 11th?). If travelling to Hawaii is off the table (my personal favourite search), then in my mind there is still some good value to be had especially if @vpplayer was interested in a Hyatt or Four Seasons week.

With Covid I think a lot of us had to give up some great weeks either owned or exchanges (I gave up 3 Westin Nanea weeks myself). I am actually pretty happy overall what II did to help me salvage my vacations and find something useable, even if staying close to home wasn't my preference.

I absolutely agree though, my best exchange yet was in Flexchange.

Yes, was that week, a great week really. Showed up yesterday, but I would have taken it for sure, even that quick notice is no issue for us. Even a lowly studio low value off season week matches that HWP week. Obviously, I'd take that trade any time! Unless I already made plans. :cry: If I couldn't get a decent flight, I'd have driven there, no big deal. We love Flexchange due to how many good weeks show up and the no upsize is just great. And it's exciting, sort of like pot luck.

We were going to try and get second week if we ever got into Key West up in Miami MVCI, and, hopefully visit the dry Tortugas as well.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
We love Flexchange due to how many good weeks show up and the no upsize is just great. And it's exciting, sort of like pot luck.
Yes, it is exciting. Because of Flexchange (and E-Plus), I am actually now only booking really flexible flights so I can change my mind at the last minute if find something great and want to go somewhere else.

In November, I had a trip planned to Kauai for Marriott Waiohai that I was excited about, but then during Flexchange I found a Marriott Ocean Club (Lahaina) 3 Bedroom OF. I tried to find someone on TUG to take the week, but when that failed I ended up taking the week for myself and rebooking my air to Maui instead. I thought I would end up on the lowest floor, but no, The room assignment was 6th floor, much higher than the palm trees and absolutely gorgeous.

Now I'm definitely a believer that even with very short notice (even less than a week) you can pull together some great vacations. This exchange I may not be able to repeat, but it will keep me motivated to keep searching for another great week.

Let me know if you would ever like a PM if some of those Key West weeks come up.

vpplayer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Ko Olina OV (deed)
Wow thank you everyone—I’ll definitely keep trying and go to the sightings thread. I know very little about flexchange and eplus and will educate myself accordingly.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I'm definitely a believer that even with very short notice (even less than a week) you can pull together some great vacations. This exchange I may not be able to repeat, but it will keep me motivated to keep searching for another great week.

Let me know if you would ever like a PM if some of those Key West weeks come up.

Not needed, but thank you for the offer!! I find them myself in an automated manner. But we are completely on the same page. Last minute often = better deals than advance. Even airfare and car rental is often cheaper I find. And the way things are, you won't get several different flight changes since you didn't book far in advance. I am sorry I gave up for this one!

To the OP, definitely do not give up on your flexchanges! If you are super flexible, you'll definitely get a great deal somewhere.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
...I found a Marriott Ocean Club (Lahaina) 3 Bedroom OF. I tried to find someone on TUG to take the week, but when that failed I ended up taking the week for myself and rebooking my air to Maui instead. I thought I would end up on the lowest floor, but no, The room assignment was 6th floor, much higher than the palm trees and absolutely gorgeous.

All 3BRs are fixed week/fixed units, really rare to be deposited as one unit, but you'll always get what the owner owns. Lahaina 6th floor is awesome, though you could have been in Napili.