• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2020 Census

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Just completed mine. It was shorter, faster than I had anticipated. There must be a long version also.
Glad to have read above regarding ethnicity. I don't have one I identify with.
I entered: American Varietal
LOL...we jokingly to refer to ourselves as Northern European mutts. :)

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We got 2 notices also. It is cheaper to do 2 or 3 mailings than to send someone to your house to ask the questions.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Now that you mention it, I really don’t remember previous censuses either. Strange!
2010 I remember because I was so confused on how to fill it out. My DH has a daughter. At that point she was in a dorm, freshman year of college. But prior to that she was at our house 50% of the time, actually more than 50% but that's another story. I remember not being sure if we should count her at our house. If she was being counted at the dorm. If her mother was going to add her to her house form.
2000 I was in the beginning stages of going through divorce. (would have been nice to fill out for only one person, but alas he was still there in the spring)
1990 was the first one I filled out for myself and we were moving that spring so I had to determine which address to fill it out for.
1980 we received it after getting back from vacation in California, my first plane ride. (Kind of a dork about stuff like this. I remember making my mom register to vote in 1984, so I could vote. I was only 16, she didn't give a rat's behind about voting, but I did.)

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We got 2 notices also. It is cheaper to do 2 or 3 mailings than to send someone to your house to ask the questions.
..but one mail piece followed by a phone call, text, etc. Would be even cheaper.
Although the postal service needs the business I suppose...

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone get a second notice in the mail for the 2020 Census? I had a second letter come with the exact same code about a week after the first. The first notice was a larger envelope with the notice folded in half. The second was a standard letter envelope with the notice trifolded. Nothing like paying to mail out the same thing twice.
Yeah, I got the second notice too. Mine basically said to ignore it if I had already responded...

George

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Yeah, I got the second notice too. Mine basically said to ignore it if I had already responded...

I assumre they're sending a notice for each adult at an address to get one of us to do it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
2010 I remember because I was so confused on how to fill it out. My DH has a daughter. At that point she was in a dorm, freshman year of college. But prior to that she was at our house 50% of the time, actually more than 50% but that's another story. I remember not being sure if we should count her at our house. If she was being counted at the dorm. If her mother was going to add her to her house form.
2000 I was in the beginning stages of going through divorce. (would have been nice to fill out for only one person, but alas he was still there in the spring)
1990 was the first one I filled out for myself and we were moving that spring so I had to determine which address to fill it out for.
1980 we received it after getting back from vacation in California, my first plane ride. (Kind of a dork about stuff like this. I remember making my mom register to vote in 1984, so I could vote. I was only 16, she didn't give a rat's behind about voting, but I did.)

Great memory, Gina! I don't remember doing anything with the Census prior to 2010. But as I think about it, as a kid we moved all the time. Then, in the military, I moved all the time. Then, after retirement form the military, i moved a lot, (Notice a trend here? ;)) My current home I purchased in 2003, and I'm still here. So maybe the previous Censuses couldn't find me, and 2010 was the first year I stayed still long enough to be counted. I do remember filling out a multi-page document and mailing things back. Much easier this time around.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I received one while living in the rental house in NY. It took me forever to complete it. I even had to call to make sure they received it.

So when I received one here the other day I cringed. To my surprise it was extremely brief thankfully.

I also see I have another notice coming in the mail today. I mean- during this time they have to waste money mailing these things out a second time?

I also noticed on my walk yesterday that there were 2020 census bags hanging on the doorknobs of all the little summer bungalows on the lake. Meanwhile, no one is in these homes, as they are seasonal and many are even seasonal rentals. SMH...

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Great memory, Gina!
Thanx Dave. My memory tends to creep people out. My DH loves to tell people to tell me thier birthday and I'll remember it forever. Quite the exaggeration. I'm not Marilu Henner. But I do tend to remember things that relate to numbers and dates etc. But, tell me your name and it never even stops between my ears, gone before it ever had a chance.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I entered United States for the “White”question. It was accepted.

Seems to me if you didn’t come here as an immigrant or born overseas to American parents thus have dual citizenship, that’s the best answer since you were born here, not England, Ireland, Australia or the other examples.

Cheers

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanx Dave. My memory tends to creep people out. My DH loves to tell people to tell me thier birthday and I'll remember it forever. Quite the exaggeration. I'm not Marilu Henner. But I do tend to remember things that relate to numbers and dates etc. But, tell me your name and it never even stops between my ears, gone before it ever had a chance.

I'm much the same, mostly with weird number things. Most of them pointless to remember. I remember things like the license plate on my my Mother's car from when I was in 3rd grade, old phone numbers, old street addresses where I lived, CVV codes from the back of long-expired credit cards, old computer passwords - weird stuff that helps nobody. Remembering obscure things like that helped me out in my IT career. But now? Time to clear the RAM. I need a system reboot. LOL! :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I entered United States for the “White”question. It was accepted.

Seems to me if you didn’t come here as an immigrant or born overseas to American parents thus have dual citizenship, that’s the best answer since you were born here, not England, Ireland, Australia or the other examples.

Cheers

Good point. They could have made it more clear. I found it oddly confusing, especially since they didn't directly ask where my parents were born, or if I was an immigrant.

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps, but you would think they would check to see if you actually did the Census before sending the second notice. Perhaps give it a few weeks and then if it wasn't completed, then send out the second one.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'm much the same, mostly with weird number things. Most of them pointless to remember. I remember things like the license plate on my my Mother's car from when I was in 3rd grade, old phone numbers, old street addresses where I lived, CVV codes from the back of long-expired credit cards, old computer passwords - weird stuff that helps nobody. Remembering obscure things like that helped me out in my IT career. But now? Time to clear the RAM. I need a system reboot. LOL! :D

Dave
....still recall my account number from my first CC - Sears! Back then, having a Sears CC was a big deal because Sears was actually THE place for everything back then.
12 digits long and in this format
1 23456 78901 2
...now of course THAT is not my actual account number but you get the idea...

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Perhaps, but you would think they would check to see if you actually did the Census before sending the second notice. Perhaps give it a few weeks and then if it wasn't completed, then send out the second one.
As a former Dept of Commerce employee, I can tell you that using funds efficiently is NOT in their area of concern. They will spend much more money to retrieve a response than it is worth.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
That one stumped me too. I tried skipping it but it wouldn't let me. I typed in "American" which it accepted...

George
Thanks for the tip. I had started to do the paper survey, but switched to online and entered "American". Then I printed out my confirmation of submission just in case...of what I don't know...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
got my form in the mail today, now have to go online and choose "American" and not "white"
You still have to choose "White". But then it sounds like you can enter "American" into the space for ethnicity.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I assumre they're sending a notice for each adult at an address to get one of us to do it.
Just one per address - no names are on them. The actual Census day is April 1. Supposedly, once you fill it out online, that address is tagged as done. I do not know why we got 2 within one week. Because of the Coronavirus, all face-to-face activities have been put on hold - especially community kick-off events.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I received one while living in the rental house in NY. It took me forever to complete it. I even had to call to make sure they received it.

So when I received one here the other day I cringed. To my surprise it was extremely brief thankfully.

I also see I have another notice coming in the mail today. I mean- during this time they have to waste money mailing these things out a second time?

I also noticed on my walk yesterday that there were 2020 census bags hanging on the doorknobs of all the little summer bungalows on the lake. Meanwhile, no one is in these homes, as they are seasonal and many are even seasonal rentals. SMH...
Only do it once.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The second mailing was just a letter - fill out what was sent or it can be done on-line with a Census ID.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The second mailing was just a letter - fill out what was sent or it can be done on-line with a Census ID.
Sounds like I got the second mailing, but never got the first one with the form.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Sounds like I got the second mailing, but never got the first one with the form.

I got both, from what i recall they looked pretty similar.