• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] Cancelling a Westgate Timeshare [merged]

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It’s done? I received my deposit the other day but that’s it? No confrontation of the cancellation of the contract?
That's correct. You're done. There is no confrontation because you are no longer dealing with the sales dept. The sales people are the ones who would confront you and try to talk you out of your rescission.

Once you rescind, you are dealing with the member services dept. or whatever they might be called. It's all business in that dept. They are required to follow the law and once the contract is rescinded the parties (you and the developer/resort) are put back to the place before there was ever a contract. It's as if there never was a sale or a contract. You have your money back. They have no sale.

Don't worry. Be happy!:)

Kimmi592

Reaction score
We are told that the contract and rescission instructions are in a hidden velcro secured flap inside one of the covers of the binder. The 'wait for the DC' business is a delaying tactic to get you to delay past the legally allowable rescission period. IMO, nothing in that binder is worth $50. Send it back.

Jim
I know this post is from 2014, but do you know what exactly the instructions were in the hidden pocket? I didn’t see this and already mailed back the binder. Attached is what was on my contract. I just want to make sure I wasn’t supposed to include something that I didn’t in the letter I sent because I didn’t see these hidden instructions. Like some kind of phrase or information. I have our names and we signed it, the date we signed, contract number, message stating we want to cancel, our address and email. Sent certified mail with return receipt.

Attachments

• 57773D0F-7EBE-429A-9476-75CEE48120B7.jpeg
    57773D0F-7EBE-429A-9476-75CEE48120B7.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 51

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this post is from 2014, but do you know what exactly the instructions were in the hidden pocket? I didn’t see this and already mailed back the binder. Attached is what was on my contract. I just want to make sure I wasn’t supposed to include something that I didn’t in the letter I sent because I didn’t see these hidden instructions. Like some kind of phrase or information. I have our names and we signed it, the date we signed, contract number, message stating we want to cancel, our address and email. Sent certified mail with return receipt.
Relax! You have done all that is necessary to rescind. There is no secret code, No legalese required. Really starting the rescission brocess is as easy as saying "I Want OUT OF THIS CONTRACT #", and sign it.

You're done. You won. Go celebrate. Stay off the phone with them or unknown numbers. Watch your credit card account for a refund, and then you'll know for sure.

Jim

Kimmi592

Reaction score
We are debating whether to:
1) not play Westgate’s game and ignore Westgate on what is likely (95%) an unenforceable, rescinded contact,
2) play their game, increase legality of rescission and unenforceability to 99+ percent, and threaten to report them to AG.

It’s a tough call.
How is it only 95% successful? Don't they have to cancel if you send in a letter? Isn't it the law?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
How is it only 95% successful? Don't they have to cancel if you send in a letter? Isn't it the law?
There are no 100 percent guarantees in law that something is definitively illegal, or that someone would win in a court of law. We can only estimate. I didn’t have all the facts. I didn’t have the Wastegate recording, which could have been manipulated. Ultimately, OP could his money back, and the Ts was cancelled.

Heck, Supreme Court cases are often 5-4. A lot of people thought OJ, Casey Anthony, or George Zimmerman should be found guilty, but they weren’t. Illegality involves proof after complete investigations.

Kimmi592

Reaction score
I know I’m not supposed to call, but I called the actual office number for the 2801 winter garden road address. I asked if they got my cancellation letter and they said yes and that the cancellation is being processed and I should receive a refund in 21 days. So hopefully they are being truthful.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I’m not supposed to call, but I called the actual office number for the 2801 winter garden road address. I asked if they got my cancellation letter and they said yes and that the cancellation is being processed and I should receive a refund in 21 days. So hopefully they are being truthful.
They don't have a choice. Wastegate may be sleazy and take ANY advantage they can, but even they have to obey the law. You'll get your refund. Now STAY OFF THE PHONE!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't call. We got a report of a rescinded Westgate owner who called, and then Westgate tried to make it seem like he accepted a revised offer over the phone. You don't want to deal with that. That thread is here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-timeshare-merged.208087/page-15#post-2309794

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Didn't you mail this via CERTIFIED MAIL? I ask because certified mail provides anyone with a FREE USPS Tracking Number, and the tracking number actually proves that the Rescission Letter was delivered (as required by law).

As others have said, calling is not a good thing as it may lead to someone trying to talk you out of rescinding (or even talking to you about the same deal at a much lower price).

For the benefit of everyone; Certified Tracking numbers can be easily tracked via the USPS Website. Here is their website:

www.USPS.gov

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kimmi592

Reaction score
Didn't you mail this via CERTIFIED MAIL? I ask because certified mail provides anyone with a FREE USPS Tracking Number, and the tracking number actually proves that the Rescission Letter was delivered (as required by law).

As others have said, calling is not a good thing as it may lead to someone trying to talk you out of rescinding (or even talking to you about the same deal at a much lower price).

For the benefit of everyone; Certified Tracking numbers can be easily tracked via the USPS Website. Here is their website:

www.USPS.gov

I did send certified mail with receipt. They didn’t try to talk me into anything, these weren’t sales people. Just the people that do the cancellations.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

kegger

Reaction score
I see lots of people got out of westgate by rescinding anyone have any luck after the 10 day time period? Any canadians that have just stopped paying MF? Did it get reported to credit Bureau?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see lots of people got out of westgate by rescinding anyone have any luck after the 10 day time period? Any canadians that have just stopped paying MF? Did it get reported to credit Bureau?
@Grammarhero has some numbers on people who have defaulted. iirc Canadians have not reported having their credit affected by default/foreclosure. Obviously you lose everything you've paid- which you would have gotten back with a timely rescission. Your mileage may vary.

Jim

kegger

Reaction score
I literally just got off the phone with Westgate. I called the legacy number 1 800 351 0461. My 2 bedroom plus loft gone for less then my bi annual maintenance fees paperwork is in the mail. My TS was paid in full 6 years ago had for 7 in Jan. Thanks TUG for not letting me pay a resale company. I was close to doing that.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer::banana::clap:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks @Passepartout, my TUG mentor. @kegger that is a good result.

danfeduk630

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate blue tree orlando
That's correct. You're done. There is no confrontation because you are no longer dealing with the sales dept. The sales people are the ones who would confront you and try to talk you out of your rescission.

Once you rescind, you are dealing with the member services dept. or whatever they might be called. It's all business in that dept. They are required to follow the law and once the contract is rescinded the parties (you and the developer/resort) are put back to the place before there was ever a contract. It's as if there never was a sale or a contract. You have your money back. They have no sale.

Don't worry. Be happy!:)
Hello really appreciate this site as its about to save my family from this bad deal!
Just have some questions I see about the letter sending to 2801 winter garden road, Do I send the binder and tablet to the same address or do I send it back to the location we received the tablet. We signed and got our tablet at westgate lakes orlando, But our purchased unit was in westgate bluetree.
The other question I have is about the contract number, I dont see it on the first page of the contract but I do see a number on the page that says receipt for timeshare documents. That number is 14 digits like described in forum, 1479085****-014. Do you think that is the number? thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Send the tablet back by separate mail by the cheapest traceable method . You can mention in your letter that you are returning it by separate cover. I’d send it to the same address as you send the letter.

As far as the contract number, I don’t think it’s crucial as long as all parties who signed the contract sign the rescission letter. You could include a copy of the first page of the contract or any page that shows your names.

The most important thing about the whole process is that you get that letter mailed within the rescission time limit, you send it by certified mail, and you keep a copy of your letter & your certified mail receipt.

Then patiently wait for your money to be returned. It might take 45 days but probably will be sooner.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello really appreciate this site as its about to save my family from this bad deal!
Just have some questions I see about the letter sending to 2801 winter garden road, Do I send the binder and tablet to the same address or do I send it back to the location we received the tablet. We signed and got our tablet at westgate lakes orlando, But our purchased unit was in westgate bluetree.
The other question I have is about the contract number, I dont see it on the first page of the contract but I do see a number on the page that says receipt for timeshare documents. That number is 14 digits like described in forum, 1479085****-014. Do you think that is the number? thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That looks like the 14 digit number. Be sure to include that number just in case.
Mind sharing how much you’d save with rescission?

RichardG904

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
New here I also fell for a Westgate Timeshare. @ the Westgate Town Center in Kissimmee, Fl.
Bought Saturday and I am now writing the rescission so I'm still in the 10days. Somthing made me do research on this Monday night and came across TUG. They ALMOST got me for $9,680..

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you follow the rescission instructions exactly as shown in your owner's package including the right address to send it to and the method (likely certified mail).

Once you do send your letter, they will have up to 45 days to issue your refund but it usually does not take that long. Also, they are under no obligation to update or inform you. If you do not see your refund right away, don't panic by calling the resort asking for updates. Also, watch out for any unknown calls that might come your way. They could be from the sales people trying to get you to change your mind about rescinding.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
New here I also fell for a Westgate Timeshare. @ the Westgate Town Center in Kissimmee, Fl.
Bought Saturday and I am now writing the rescission so I'm still in the 10days. Somthing made me do research on this Monday night and came across TUG. They ALMOST got me for $9,680..
Make sure whoever signed the contract signs the rescission letter. Also send certified mail with proof. That’s essential