• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] Cancelling a Westgate Timeshare [merged]

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Should I send an email back..?
Sure looks like a "plausible denial" scam. If wastegate is investigated...they can deny..mix up between departments.

JHT

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
The only time I sent an email was when they tried to give me a" better deal". I wrote to the closing officer who initially Contacted me with her two Managers that I did not agree to any old or new agreements. I also stated that I sent my letter and proof that I sent the letter and the owner's kit back. It would be impossible for them to claim theirs a mix up. I told them in the letter and in the email that they will not be taking out payments. So far they haven't taken out of my bank. I'm so frustrated.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
The only time I sent an email was when they tried to give me a" better deal". I wrote to the closing officer who initially Contacted me with her two Managers that I did not agree to any old or new agreements. I also stated that I sent my letter and proof that I sent the letter and the owner's kit back. It would be impossible for them to claim theirs a mix up. I told them in the letter and in the email that they will not be taking out payments. So far they haven't taken out of my bank. I'm so frustrated.

Just stay put and enjoy your life without Wastegate. If you are frustrated now, imagine having a retail TS with them.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But they know what they are, they've found their niche.
They are greedy, sellout lawyers loving money over integrity.

Last edited:

CV0615

Reaction score
Yeah Westgate keeps calling my husband since he didn’t block them. They leave messages saying in order for them to refund we have to talk to them first. Ummm no. still waiting on refund - know it can take up to 45 days.

JHT

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Just stay put and enjoy your life without Wastegate. If you are frustrated now, imagine having a retail TS with them.

I'm so glad there was a public library where I could read the documents and write the letter while I was on vaction.I'm Thankful by law they can't keep me as TS owner.Never again!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
My first real Wastegate story goes back to 1991, and I can still remember the names involved, sorta, almost.

We had bought an EOY, and when we used it the next year, we bought the other EOY. Then, when I learned enough to know enough, I realized we wanted it to be the same week, Week 23, which isn't important.

So I contacted Wastegate by dialing the instrument attached to the wall.

I got a call at 9:00 PM one Sunday evening from a very-pushy sales lady, badmouthing (rightfully) the resort they had sold us, trying to sell us something at their new resort du jour for $30,000!!!!! That's a lot of money, like $29,000 today. ;)

That pissed me off almost as much as faulty discount driving monitors, so I did some checking, and befriended Mr. S's administrative assistant, Kay Meddles, or Nettles. :D

She had their mortgage administrator call me and they swapped out whatever we had for a second Week 23. Maybe cost us a hundred bucks.

Her name will come to me shortly, when I don't need it. I'm sure I still have that paperwork.

Beth Driggs, or something like that.
- - - - - -
You know, you realize at some point in your life that although you have all the accurate information stored somewhere internally, it is not always immediately accessible, so you realize that it is fruitless to try to sound completely credible spontaneously, in a regular face-to-face conversation or phone call, but you know the information is there, and will make itself available when it's ready to, so you prefer something you can edit or revise, like email, for instance.

I guess that's why when people are asked about easily-remembered things, they often respond with, "I can't recall."

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I'm so glad there was a public library where I could read the documents and write the letter while I was on vaction.

See, it is 20 years ago.

Library, well kids, that's a big building where knowledge used to be stored.

:D

yeah, like google

Reactions: JHT

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

You will be fine as long as you sent your rescission letter via Certified Mail within the allowable time frame. They haven't taken any money from you so that goes a long way toward telling you that they are abiding by your rescission request.

You'll receive a full refund within the 45 day time limit. Sit back, relax, and look into buying resale!

Keep all of us posted.

JHT

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
You will be fine as long as you sent your rescission letter via Certified Mail within the allowable time frame. They haven't taken any money from you so that goes a long way toward telling you that they are abiding by your rescission request.

Thank you!!

You'll receive a full refund within the 45 day time limit. Sit back, relax, and look into buying resale!

Keep all of us posted.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
She had their mortgage administrator call me and they swapped out whatever we had for a second Week 23. Maybe cost us a hundred bucks.

Moral to the story, maybe missed . . . . even almost 30 years ago, even Wastegate, could cancel a contract and "sell" a new one to replace it, for a hundred bucks.

Lavell37

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Just a rescission letter should be fine to start with. Be sure everyone who signed the contract signs the letter. If you have a notebook or some other book they want returned, maybe they'll mention it. Send it the cheapest way possible, but just be sure to get your letter mailed with proof of the date you sent it within the rescission period. This is the most important part!
I purchased a WG TS on 7/12/2019. sent a cancellation letter within the ten day rescission period on 7/18/2019. What I just realized is that both my cousin and I signed the contract, but I was the only one that signed the cancellation request. Does this mean we are stuck with it?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I purchased a WG TS on 7/12/2019. sent a cancellation letter within the ten day rescission period on 7/18/2019. What I just realized is that both my cousin and I signed the contract, but I was the only one that signed the cancellation request. Does this mean we are stuck with it?

Very likely. I am very sorry about this unfortunate situation. See if you get a refund within 27 days. If not, then you and your cousins are WG owners.

Last edited:

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Just wondering if that power of attorney that your cousins signed before the recession could be played?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just wondering if that power of attorney that your cousins signed before the recession could be played?
That could be played, especially if the cousin signed the general power of attorney. Ideally, OP would have printed both names on the rescission letter and two signatures even if it’s two of his/her own signatures.

JHT

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
They received letter July 2nd.We got our one refund to our bank account and the rest is a check!!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They received letter July 2nd.We got our one refund to our bank account and the rest is a check!!

Congrats. Guess your emails and threats to AG worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHT

JHT

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Yes,Thank God for this discussion board,that helped me through all the steps to cancel.I'm glad we're over this horrible mistake.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

raasch81

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
hi thus any one have a copy of a cancelation later for west gate timeshare ? please and just give me some guide lines on how to do this please .

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hi thus any one have a copy of a cancelation later for west gate timeshare ? please and just give me some guide lines on how to do this please .

Where did you purchase? That will determine the rescission period. Make sure whoever signed the timeshare contract also signs the rescission letter. How much would you save with rescission?

You send the cancellation letter to
2801 Old Winter Garden Road
Ocoee, Florida 34761

A sample letter is below.
To whom it may concern,

We want to cancel our contract immediately with Westgate Resorts, Inc. to purchase a timeshare interest in the Contract/Account Number XXXXXXXXXX-XXX .We are exercising our legal right to cancel this contract. We expect a full refund of our down payment of $XXXX US dollars. Do not make any additional charges to our credit card. Please confirm our legal rescission in writing.
As stated in the timeshare contract signed on August XX, 2019, we are entitled to X calendar days after the date we signed the contract (Contract/Account Number:XXXXXXXXXX-XXX) to cancel any timeshare contract that we have entered into and we are therefore notifying you in writing as that we are hereby cancelling the contract to purchase a timeshare at your property. Due to this cancellation we expect that the $XXXX (US dollars) total down payment that we paid using our credit card ending in XXXX will be credited immediately upon receipt of this letter by you.