• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] Cancelling a Westgate Timeshare [merged]

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sure do ask a lot of questions. So, my certified letter was delivered - my question (and I looked on the USPS site but couldn't find it) is, does the tracking also extend to the return receipt that will supposedly be mailed back to me? My letter was delivered yesterday. I was going to mail the promo materials back today with another letter just in case. I really am paranoid. I think today is day 10 (I signed on the 16th) and so I feel like it wouldn't hurt to send the letter one more time. I know I sound nuts but I really want to get rid of this thing. If it works, I would love to tell you all the lies they used to reel me in. Maybe it'll help someone else. Thanks!

You can track the Green Return Receipt Card BUT ONLY if you made a notation of the number when you handed it to the clerk when initially paying for the certified mail return receipt transaction.

It won't be on any USPS receipt, but it is something that you could write down and utilize (as in this case).

The more important tracking number is the number you were provided with on your sales receipt at the time you made the certified mail transaction. This particular number will actually prove (in Court if need be) that you in fact did mail it and the recipient is in fact now in receipt of it.

You now know for a fact that the recession letter has been delivered and they have 45 days in which to get your money back in full. If things go well you'll have your check on or before June 10th, 2019.

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? Sit back, relax, and gloat!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
always love it when yet another person finds this thread and is able to rescind in time!

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Thanks to everyone on here. Westgate had my husband and I way off our game. It’s like their trained to brainwash you.

This is how all ours went
Purchased on March 29th
Found Tugg on April 1st
Mailed Recession letter Certified with return receipt April 2nd to Ocoee Florida
Mailed promotional items with a recession letter in it as well to Gatlinburg April 2nd
Certified with return receipt
I also sent a copy of the letter to the accounts department because we still had another payment on our deposit.

Phone call on April 9th didn’t answer
Welcome card received from our sales representative on April 17th

Deposit returned on April 26th!!!!!!!!

I’m free from Westgate thank you so much TUG Another 12,000 saved.

Last edited:

Wanderbliss

Reaction score
OK everyone - great news here - My refund has been posted to my credit card!! 17 days from purchase to refund - not bad! And no phone calls! I can not thank you all enough - how lucky I am to have found this place. Add another $14k to your list. I wanted to tell you some of the lies - there were so many - but here's the one that sucked us in:

we rented the place on Air BNB and the listing had said free wifi. We get to check-in and then of course we are led to the place where they try to sign you up for the tour. First they offer a $75 gift card and I'm like, no, thank you. Then she says "we'll also give you free wifi for the week" and I say "you have to PAY for wifi here?" And she says yes, it's $10 a day" and I must have looked relieved because she quickly added "PER device." OK - we both brought our work (laptops) with us and my kids both have ipads - so that was going to be $280 just for wifi. I figured a 90-minute tour was worth $280. So I get back to the room and try to log on and I see these options that are available to everyone - $10 a day per device, or $39 a week for up to 3 devices. WHY didn't I listen to the warning bells right then and there? What a brazen lie!!

Once we were on the tour, some of the things the salesguy told us: Interest rate is 17.99% but DON'T WORRY - you get all that back because it's tax deductible and I'm like - I don't think that's how it works and he's like - yes - you get all the interest back. I dropped the subject because we'd be changing it over to a home equity loan anyway.

Then he told us how easy it would be to rent one of the rooms in this EOY 3 bedroom lockoff and how he's NOT SUPPOSED to be telling us how to make money but if we just threw it up on airbnb in any city, I can trade my room and book that rental soooo easily. And if I decide it's not for me? " It's so so easy to sell your timeshare - people buy them every day! And even better, all these suckers in this room are buying these for 70, 80 90k - but I have a trade in that's only 14k and I'm not supposed to tell you about it but it's a no brainer because if you join our affiliate program you're making those payments up easily - most of our affiliates earn at least $300 a month." He told us the MF was like $800 a year but then he comes back with the paperwork and he's like "oh I was mistaken it's $1200 a year but still you're going to make that up in one rental!"

I could go on and on but I thought the wifi trick was pretty clever and especially evil - everyone needs wifi (mostly) so they probably snag a lot of suckers with that one.

Oh and don't even get me started on the $1500 card they give you which you can use for travel - it's like a gift card they say! $1500 free every year! No, it's not. It's a (very small) percent off card, up to $1500, that only works if you buy through their overpriced site.

And the travel partners program!! Oh yes, let's trick our friends and family on facebook into a $99 package that they will then turn around and charge you full price if you don't attend the tour (the fine print).

OK - enough from me. I've been reading a lot of information on here and I will be back next vacation to RENT something! I think TS isn't for us right now, even if we bought a used one.

In the words of another verbose writer- thanks, thanks and ever thanks.

I am so grateful - thank you!
:):):)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
added to the list, thank you for coming back and telling us!

Djeffer2

Reaction score
This what I wrote

Attention rescission department
We are writing to express our intent to cancel our timeshare contract Our names are xxxxx and xxxxx and we purchased a timeshare at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort at Gatlinburg on March 29,2019. I am writing to you within the rescission period to cancel this contract. I am entitled to this rescission period by the law of Tennessee per code 66-32-114. We expect full refund of the deposit that we have paid amounting to $300.00. And we do not authorize any future credit card transactions. Promotional materials will be send under s separate mailing.

Westgate Great Smoky Mountain Resort at Gatlinburg
Owners our names
Contract #
Purchase date

Again the purpose of this letter is to cancel my timeshare contract and request a full refund of our deposit. Please take immediate action in this matter.

Signatures
Hi I fell for their bully tactics in June. I’ve sent two rescission letters but have heard nothing from them. So this has me worried. I would’ve expected to hear something from them considering how tenacious they were. I followed the directions in the paper contract and had no way to view the contract on the cd. But I see ppl have sent a signature page with their letter. Did you do this as well? Had you seen where that is a requirement?

Djeffer2

Reaction score
Hi all- I’m new here and I hope this is the right place to post- it seems like it’s the main Westgate thread. I am so so grateful I found you within my 10 day rescission period as I do plan on sending my letter either tomorrow from here in Orlando or on Monday from home.

I have a question that has been asked before in this thread but it went unanswered. I know I should photocopy the signature page of the contract and include it in my letter. But I am wondering if I need to return the secret Manila envelope that holds all my paperwork when I mail back the binder and the tablet. Or do I keep that envelope and my paperwork?

Second question: My legal name is hyphenated (for example Mary Smith-Jones) but it appears as Mary Smith on most of the documents but there are a couple of places that might say Mary Smith-Jones. Should I sign my letter with both names, kind of like “Mary Smith aka Mary Smith-Jones” or will that hurt me in some way?

My last question is, I am not sure where the contract number is located? I don’t see anything (yet-still reading) that says “contract #” but then again I am kind of still in the panic stage of this process:)

I know the steps have been outlined here over and over again but I just want to type my plan here to be extra sure I’m not missing anything:

1. Photocopy the contract signing page

2. Write the letter, using one of the templates here, including a line about returning the binder and such under separate cover. Husband and I sign it.

3. Photocopy that for our records.

4. Mail the letter and the photocopied contract page via certified mail return receipt requested.

5. Wait patiently and don’t answer any phone calls.

6. Be eternally grateful that I found you in time.

I can NOT believe I fell for it!! I just can’t.
Thank you for any/all advice.
-D
Hi! I’m also in the same predicament. I was wondering if sending a signature page was stated in the contract as a requirement? I have a paper contract that I went by for instructions on sending in a letter and it simply states send a letter to an address. So now I’m worried I may have not done it correctly

Djeffer2

Reaction score
Might as well. They'll figure it out either way in plenty of time. Then the hard part. The waiting. They are under no obligation to inform you of the progress of your rescission, and it can take up to 45 days (unlikely, but possible) to get your refund posted to your credit card. Just watch the account. We suggest you don't take any phone calls from Wastegate or unknown numbers until after the rescission period has ended. They have been known to try to change a buyer's mind of just delay them until they are locked in.
Hi! I don’t know if you frequent this site. But I just purchased a Westgate Timeshare. I have sent to rescission letter with everyone involved signatures, the date the contract was signed, and contract number, and why type of timeshare was bought including lot, building information. I have not heard from anyone. Which, funny enough has me worried. Considering how bent on making a sale they were I would think I would’ve heard something. I noticed that some people stayed sending in a signature page. I did not do this. Is it required that I do so? I did not see that info in the paper contract I received. Just the address to send a cancellation letter

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Hi! I don’t know if you frequent this site. But I just purchased a Westgate Timeshare. I have sent to rescission letter with everyone involved signatures, the date the contract was signed, and contract number, and why type of timeshare was bought including lot, building information. I have not heard from anyone. Which, funny enough has me worried. Considering how bent on making a sale they were I would think I would’ve heard something. I noticed that some people stayed sending in a signature page. I did not do this. Is it required that I do so? I did not see that info in the paper contract I received. Just the address to send a cancellation letter

Adding the signature page is not required. As long as you wrote in the letter that you are exercising your right to rescind with your names, signed by all parties and mailed to the address on the contract you are good.

When did you purchase and when did you mail the rescission? Did you send it certified and have a copy to prove the date you sent it? If so you are fine. Westgate is not required to notify you that they received the rescission. If they call, don’t answer. Eventually you will get your deposit back. I believe in Florida they have 20 days after they receive your letter to refund your money.

Last edited:

Djeffer2

Reaction score
Adding the signature page is not required. As long as you wrote in the letter that you are exercising your right to rescind with your names, signed by all parties and mailed to the address on the contract you are good.

When did you purchase and when did you mail the rescission? Did you send it certified and have a copy to prove the date you sent it? If so you are fine. Westgate is not required to notify you that they received the rescission. If they call, don’t answer. Eventually you will get your deposit back. I believe in Florida they have 20 days after they receive your letter to refund your money.
Thank you so much! I didn’t see that as a requirement in the paper contract I thought perhaps they had played an underhand trick. & I signed the contract on June 5th & instantly regretted it. So I sent a letter on the 6th and another on the 15th with both receipts still in possession along with sneak verification that it was received.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I didn’t see that as a requirement in the paper contract I thought perhaps they had played an underhand trick. & I signed the contract on June 5th & instantly regretted it. So I sent a letter on the 6th and another on the 15th with both receipts still in possession along with sneak verification that it was received.

Relax and stay cool. Nothing may happen for 45 days or so, but if you did everything were supposed to do then they have no choice but to cancel the contract.

Glad you found TUG in time. Now you can study up and do your homework prior to making another purchase.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I rescinded a Westgate timeshare a couple of years ago, and I never got any communication from them at all. They never even tried to call me. But after about a month the deposit was refunded back to my account and that was that.

I even received a welcome packet from them AFTER I had mailed the recession letter, but my assumption was that it was mailed prior to them processing the recession so the items just crossed. I still have the Westgate magnet that was in the recession letter hanging on my fridge. Its a good reminder to THINK and do some research before spending thousands of dollars on anything! So glad I found TUG in time to rectify that terrible mistake!

So just sit back, relax, and wait for your refund. And learn from your mistake!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Consider yourself fortunate that you GOT a paper contract. I know this is a HUGE thread, but waaaay up in the beginning, there are posts from buyers who got a binder with the contract inside a hidden pocket in the back cover and others whose only contract was in a CD that they couldn't open! Wastegate has used no end of dirty tricks to hold onto people's money. You (seemingly) got off easy, so be patient and watch the account you used to pay the deposit. You're money will be returned, but it may take longer than you expect.

We're glad you found TUG in time.

Jim

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Consider yourself fortunate that you GOT a paper contract. I know this is a HUGE thread, but waaaay up in the beginning, there are posts from buyers who got a binder with the contract inside a hidden pocket in the back cover and others whose only contract was in a CD that they couldn't open! Wastegate has used no end of dirty tricks to hold onto people's money. You (seemingly) got off easy, so be patient and watch the account you used to pay the deposit. You're money will be returned, but it may take longer than you expect.

We're glad you found TUG in time.

Jim

Mine was on a CD- no paper contract. But luckily I had a laptop that still had a CD-Rom drive available then! If I remember correctly they actually ask you to consent to electronic documents, and if you refuse then they give you paper copies, otherwise its all on a CD.

The entire closing process was done digitally and it was just click here to sign, then click here, then click here. The entire time the closing lady was chatting (A LOT) about anything and everything to try and ensure you were NOT reading the pages and pages of things she was scrolling thru as you were clicking where she told you.

Djeffer2

Reaction score
I rescinded a Westgate timeshare a couple of years ago, and I never got any communication from them at all. They never even tried to call me. But after about a month the deposit was refunded back to my account and that was that.

I even received a welcome packet from them AFTER I had mailed the recession letter, but my assumption was that it was mailed prior to them processing the recession so the items just crossed. I still have the Westgate magnet that was in the recession letter hanging on my fridge. Its a good reminder to THINK and do some research before spending thousands of dollars on anything! So glad I found TUG in time to rectify that terrible mistake!

So just sit back, relax, and wait for your refund. And learn from your mistake!
Thanks. I usually like to sleep on these types of decision. But my aunt, who is a Westgate Timeshare owner & a well off businesswoman, recommended & hyped it up for me. Since she was a businesswoman, & a successful at that, I was very open to it. But afterwards I somehow felt played. The presentation Is set up to get you to buy before thinking about it, the agent hovered the whole time until we asked her to leave, and after reading some reviews, I saw where we experienced some of the same tactics that others did. Plus they had many many bad reviews. I’m thinking my aunt did not review them like I did. & I realized unlike me, she has money to waste

CV0615

Reaction score

What’s the address? I want to cancel mine in TN but couldn’t find cancellation paper and the CD the gave us to “save paper” had nothing on it :/ help

CV0615

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone on here. Westgate had my husband and I way off our game. It’s like their trained to brainwash you.

This is how all ours went
Purchased on March 29th
Found Tugg on April 1st
Mailed Recession letter Certified with return receipt April 2nd to Ocoee Florida
Mailed promotional items with a recession letter in it as well to Gatlinburg April 2nd
Certified with return receipt
I also sent a copy of the letter to the accounts department because we still had another payment on our deposit.

Phone call on April 9th didn’t answer
Welcome card received from our sales representative on April 17th

Deposit returned on April 26th!!!!!!!!

I’m free from Westgate thank you so much TUG Another 12,000 saved.

Hi seeing if you could help? Where did you purchase your TS? I’ve purchased mine in TN and when we got back researched and want to cancel. Where do I send the rescind letter to?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi seeing if you could help? Where did you purchase your TS? I’ve purchased mine in TN and when we got back researched and want to cancel. Where do I send the rescind letter to?
It's in the very first post in this thread:

2801 Old Winter Garden Road
Ocoee, Florida 34761

Good Luck and Welcome to TUG

Jim

CV0615

Reaction score
It's in the very first post in this thread:

2801 Old Winter Garden Road
Ocoee, Florida 34761

Good Luck and Welcome to TUG

Jim

Thank you. I eventually found it and sent everything back. Delivered and signed for yesterday. The Cd with the closing documents They have us couldn’t open in any computer we had and then they said that has never happened before -_- and they couldn’t email us the documents only by mail. :/ glad I found this forum!! Thank you!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Thank you. I eventually found it and sent everything back. Delivered and signed for yesterday. The Cd with the closing documents They have us couldn’t open in any computer we had and then they said that has never happened before -_- and they couldn’t email us the documents only by mail. :/ glad I found this forum!! Thank you!

Just curious, how was was your rescinded TS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CV0615

Reaction score
Just curious, how was was your rescinded TS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well we signed 7/6 and got back 7/8 mailed stuff back 7/9 and received confirmation it was delivered 7/11. So now just the waiting on the refund.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Well we signed 7/6 and got back 7/8 mailed stuff back 7/9 and received confirmation it was delivered 7/11. So now just the waiting on the refund.

It seems like you’re good. Sorry. Should have clarified. If you don’t mind my asking, how much was your TS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CV0615

Reaction score

Update- they called me and my husband wanting to talk about the letter. We haven’t answered their calls