• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] Cancelling a Westgate Timeshare [merged]

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Can someone help me. My husband and I purchased from Westgate on the 29th of March in Gatlinburg. We got home yesterday and we just realized we made an awful decision. I was able to find this. I wrote a rescission letter to send. The problem is I went to open the cd that was given to us to print out the signature page. Guess what it’s empty. What should I do? I don’t know where to send this letter. I am sick to my stomach. I haven’t ate all day.

There is an address posted about 17 posts back / this thread -page 11

Send it there tomorrow - Mail / USPS
get a dated receipt
use the service that gives you proof of delivery

The date mailed is primary / with receipt to prove (if needed)
They are legally required to process the rescind

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Westgate Leisure Resorts in Orlando. Would love someone to take it over. Have the deed.
You have choices, unlike some others. You can sell it. List it for any price you wish in the TUG Marketplace, for the cost to you of membership- $15/year. If you list it for free in the TUG Bargain deals at the top of Buying, Selling.Renting Forum, you don't even have to be a member. Or, for a price, Wastegate will take it back.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me. My husband and I purchased from Westgate on the 29th of March in Gatlinburg. We got home yesterday and we just realized we made an awful decision. I was able to find this. I wrote a rescission letter to send. The problem is I went to open the cd that was given to us to print out the signature page. Guess what it’s empty. What should I do? I don’t know where to send this letter. I am sick to my stomach. I haven’t ate all day.

Westgate Resorts LTD
2801 Old Winter Garden Rd
Ocoee Florida 34761

carnaby2905

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Resorts Orlando, FL
We own a week at Westgate Leisure Resorts in Orlando. Would love someone to take it over. We have the deed.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you scroll up about 19 posts or so you will see the address as to where you need to send the rescission letter.

Get your letter down to the Post Office first thing in the morning, and send it out via certified mail with return receipt.

Now, please take a moment to enjoy something to eat.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Westgate Leisure Resorts in Orlando. Would love someone to take it over. Have the deed.

No need for the multiple posts. We get it.

The problem with Wastegate is that they strip all the perks from resale purchases. Assuming you bought from them, you have the ability to exchange internally to other Wastegate resorts, book a year in advance, and other goodies. If you transfer it to a new owner, they get none of that. They can only book at the home resort, and that something like 60 days before move in (if available?) Plus, from another post, I caught that it isn't current- you owe annual fees. NOBODY will buy ANY TS that has money owed on it.

You'll be lucky indeed to pay someone to take it off your hands- even for pay. Best Bet outside tefault and foreclosure would be to get current and pay Wastegate to take it back.

Now you see why we call them Wastegate!

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will it be ok without the signature page?
As long as you can identify yourself and the contract number and date you signed, they will have no choice but to honor the rescission. All who signed the contract will have to sign the letter. It's just easier to include a copy of the signature page. Not necessary.

Glad you found us in time. Send the letter USPS Certified w/return receipt so you have a paper trail. You're in luck, Tennessee has 15 days rescission period, so you're all good.

Jim

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Should we send the the Corporate office and the Gatlinburg location? I just can’t believe our cd that is supposed to have everything on it is blank. And where should I send my black binder and tablet? Should that be sent certified as well?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should we send the the Corporate office and the Gatlinburg location? I just can’t believe our cd that is supposed to have everything on it is blank. And where should I send my black binder and tablet? Should that be sent certified as well?
Just send to the Ocoee address Rescission Dept. Write on the letter, 'Promotional Materials to be returned under separate cover.' Then send it by cheapest means. If you want the tablet, keep it until they ask. If you send it, keep the postal receipt as proof.

Jim

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
As long as you can identify yourself and the contract number and date you signed, they will have no choice but to honor the rescission. All who signed the contract will have to sign the letter. It's just easier to include a copy of the signature page. Not necessary.

Glad you found us in time. Send the letter USPS Certified w/return receipt so you have a paper trail. You're in luck, Tennessee has 15 days rescission period, so you're all good.

Jim
The contract number is also on a upgrade piece of paper they gave us for a upgrade to purchase within the next year. But the numbers match the black cards as well. Does that sound right?

Also my husband is a Jr. his dad has passed so when he signs he doesn’t go by that but the documents list him as a Jr. how should I have him sign? I just want to make sure it’s right. I want out of this.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The contract number is also on a upgrade piece of paper they gave us for a upgrade to purchase within the next year. But the numbers match the black cards as well. Does that sound right?

Also my husband is a Jr. his dad has passed so when he signs he doesn’t go by that but the documents list him as a Jr. how should I have him sign? I just want to make sure it’s right. I want out of this.
I would sign however it's printed. You are over thinking this! Get it in the mail and be done.

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
I know! I can’t see any docouments on the cd that was supposed to have everything on it. All I have is a paper copy of the warranty deed and a print out for a upgrade so I’m going with Jr. because it’s on the deed and the contract number listed on the upgrade because I’m assuming it’s the same thing.

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Don't forget; CERTIFIED Mail with Return Receipt..... Save ALL Postal Receipts!

This what I wrote

Attention rescission department
We are writing to express our intent to cancel our timeshare contract Our names are xxxxx and xxxxx and we purchased a timeshare at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort at Gatlinburg on March 29,2019. I am writing to you within the rescission period to cancel this contract. I am entitled to this rescission period by the law of Tennessee per code 66-32-114. We expect full refund of the deposit that we have paid amounting to $300.00. And we do not authorize any future credit card transactions. Promotional materials will be send under s separate mailing.

Westgate Great Smoky Mountain Resort at Gatlinburg
Owners our names
Contract #
Purchase date

Again the purpose of this letter is to cancel my timeshare contract and request a full refund of our deposit. Please take immediate action in this matter.

Signatures

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This what I wrote

Attention rescission department
We are writing to express our intent to cancel our timeshare contract Our names are xxxxx and xxxxx and we purchased a timeshare at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort at Gatlinburg on March 29,2019. I am writing to you within the rescission period to cancel this contract. I am entitled to this rescission period by the law of Tennessee per code 66-32-114. We expect full refund of the deposit that we have paid amounting to $300.00. And we do not authorize any future credit card transactions. Promotional materials will be send under s separate mailing.

Westgate Great Smoky Mountain Resort at Gatlinburg
Owners our names
Contract #
Purchase date

Again the purpose of this letter is to cancel my timeshare contract and request a full refund of our deposit. Please take immediate action in this matter.

Signatures
That will work just fine. Get to the post office.

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
We are heading there now.
Do I put rescission department on envelope? Or just the Westgate address

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are heading there now.
Do I put rescission department on envelope? Or just the Westgate address
Might as well. They'll figure it out either way in plenty of time. Then the hard part. The waiting. They are under no obligation to inform you of the progress of your rescission, and it can take up to 45 days (unlikely, but possible) to get your refund posted to your credit card. Just watch the account. We suggest you don't take any phone calls from Wastegate or unknown numbers until after the rescission period has ended. They have been known to try to change a buyer's mind of just delay them until they are locked in.

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Before we found this site yesterday my husband called down there and told them we wanted to cancel. They said well you got a good deal. He said I don’t care she then said what if we gave it to you for free. He said well who wouldn’t take something if it was free. But she said your closing officer is not in I will leave her a message to call you. This was the call center. Will that hurt us since he said that? But the letter had not been mailed yet and I dated the letter today. I need to stop overthinking this.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny that a Westgate timeshare is the one thing you should not take for free. The letter is what matters. They will call and try to convince you, but do not even answer the phone. If you feel better to answer the promised call tell them you are rescinding and then hang up if needed. Do not engage.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Around TUG, even free is too much to pay to get involved with WASTEGATE! We cal them that for good reason.

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
We are not taking anything from them. I just wanted to make sure his comment yesterday would not come back to hurt us later.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are not taking anything from them. I just wanted to make sure his comment yesterday would not come back to hurt us later.
Nothing you hear or say has any bearing. As you would be told after holding ANY timeshare (or used car) sales weasel to some phony promise. It's ONLY what's printed in the contract that matters. Do not worry about a phone conversation.

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Well it’s been sent we even sent the promotional things back as well today in a separate box to Gatlinburg. I even put a copy of the letter in with the promotional products.
The postmaster did tell me they could refuse to accept it. I sent it certified with a return receipt. Let’s hope I get away from this horrible mistake.