• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2012 MF's

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Grand Chateau 3 bedroom Platinum 7.5% increase

These guys at Marriott are killing me. Our MGC ownership was hit with a 6.11% increase last year and now, this year it's a 7.5% increase. With very few amenities at MGC, what the heck is our HOA doing with the money?

MGC 3 bedroom Platinum:
property taxes: $96.98
operating fee: $1,103.50
reserve fee: $435.08

Total $1,636.56 or a 7.5% increase over 2011

Reserves of $435.08? For what? a pool the size of a shoebox, a Marketplace Express and an average fitness center? You've got to be kidding me! If people are tearing up the units that much, maybe HOA should be going after a few collections!

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Of what use is this information...other than for bitching?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Of what use is this information...other than for bitching?

We keep track. Records are a useful way to determine appropriate management and if there is a pattern to be concerned about. It's also provides a database to determine what might be a good buy.....or a not so great buy when someone is considering buying a Marriott timeshares.

taffy19

Reaction score
Maui Sequel - 2 BR Lahaina or Napili villa

2012 Property Tax Fee - $288.93
2012 AOAO Replacement Reserve - $83.31
2012 AOAO Operating Fee - $727.78
2012 Replacement Reserve - $213.32
2012 Operating Fee - $811.45

Amount Due - $2,124.79

ARDA fee voluntary of $10.00 not included here.

Last year the total fee was $2,053.14.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
It seems that quite a few TUGGERS seem pleased with 3-4% MF increases. I think that is quite high in the current economic/inflation environment. I would have been satisfied with 2% or less.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
It seems that quite a few TUGGERS seem pleased with 3-4% MF increases. I think that is quite high in the current economic/inflation environment. I would have been satisfied with 2% or less.

I am not so sure it is that people are "pleased" with 3-4%, but relieved when theirs is not 13-14% that some locales are experiencing. I also think that we're all aware that there are costs that are escalating regardless of the economy (or maybe contributing to the economic crisis); for example, if you heat your home with oil, what is your pricing for this year as compared to last? I know in the Northeast it isn't pretty :mad:

That said, I sure would like to know why the reserves went up so significantly at the Surf Club, generating huge MF increases. I guess we are paying for 2 years of decreases, so averaged out it is not out of line but nevertheless it is a huge increase percentage-wise.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

I would prefer it be zero, but I understand there are costs associated with running a resort and I'm certain the empolyee's expect a raise. 3% to 4% in this economy is acceptable.

6.1% followed by 7.5%, and more specifically, a cash reserve fund that's higher than any other resort I know of, yet the resort has less amenites than most resorts, strikes me as unacceptable.

Lee55

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club,
Marriott Aruba Surf Club,
& Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club
1 bedroom
**Utilities 184.29
Surplus Return −25.30
Replacement Reserve 273.78
Operating Fee 637.15
------------------------------------------
2012 Total $1069.92

**Electricity and Water/Sewer line items

Aruba Surf Club MF 2012
Received our statement yesterday. The same costs for a 1-BR /Gold /OV.

The break down for a 2-BR unit
Utilties 245.34
Surplus Return -36.32
Replacement Reserve 370.39
Operating Fee 835.78

Grand Total 1,426.19

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aruba Surf Club MF 2012
Received our statement yesterday. The same costs for a 1-BR /Gold /OV.

The break down for a 2-BR unit
Utilties 245.34
Surplus Return -36.32
Replacement Reserve 370.39
Operating Fee 835.78

Grand Total 1,426.19

Do you mean the Ocean Club? The Surf Club 2BDRM is $1373.46.

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Maui Ocean Club - Original
Increase of 3.37% ($63.92)

2BDRM OV

2012 AOAO Operating Assessment 649.57
2012 Property Tax Fee 257.88
2012 Operating Fee 724.23
2012 AOAO Reserve Assessment 74.36
2012 Reserve Fee 190.40

Total Charges $1896.44

I like the small increase from year to year but why did the reserve go up so much? If my math is correct that is a 67% increase in reserve.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
St Kitts

St Kitts 2012 Gold 2bdrm GV

Operating fee...........$1204.25
Reserve......................283.27
Property Tax………………….14.27
Total........................$1501.79

About a 3.7 % increase from last year.

Norma

Steve

Reaction score
Manor Club?

Does anyone know the Manor Club fees for 2012? I bought a week there this past summer, but the closing is going very slowly and it is not in my account yet. I used to be an owner there, and I'm looking forward to being an owner again.

Thanks!

Steve

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Planning for Success?

We keep track. Records are a useful way to determine appropriate management and if there is a pattern to be concerned about. It's also provides a database to determine what might be a good buy.....or a not so great buy when someone is considering buying a Marriott timeshares.

Hmmm...Will you be providing tools for identifying patterns? How is that going to work, anyway?

Your 2nd point makes more sense. But I think it implies, as a minimum, that the submitted results be sorted by resort if the inputs are to be useful. Do you propose to do that.

My rather negative reaction to this data collection proposal is much like my reaction to political proposals that sound great on the surface, but fail to provide affordable tools, financing, and support to carry the program through to the end. In short, what are the plans for success here?

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Does anyone know the Manor Club fees for 2012? I bought a week there this past summer, but the closing is going very slowly and it is not in my account yet. I used to be an owner there, and I'm looking forward to being an owner again.

Thanks!

Steve

Manor Club is not out yet.

Ray

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Hmmm...Will you be providing tools for identifying patterns? How is that going to work, anyway?

Your 2nd point makes more sense. But I think it implies, as a minimum, that the submitted results be sorted by resort if the inputs are to be useful. Do you propose to do that.

It hasn't been updated for a few years, but past Marriott mf have been sorted by resort on this TUG page:

http://www.tug2.net/advice/marriottmf.htm

My rather negative reaction to this data collection proposal is much like my reaction to political proposals that sound great on the surface, but fail to provide affordable tools, financing, and support to carry the program through to the end. In short, what are the plans for success here?

I don't quite understand what your issue is? The mf info is provided for interested parties to do with as they wish. Why does anyone here have an obligation to provide "plans for success"?

Glorian

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

No one has an alterer motive here with this information. People post their MF. In some situations, some people may not have received their bill yet, so this information can be useful to them. MF history has been tracked for quite some time. People can use it for anything that they wish, but there isn't an obligation by anyone here to organize it in a way so someone else can deem it useful.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would prefer it be zero, but I understand there are costs associated with running a resort and I'm certain the empolyee's expect a raise. 3% to 4% in this economy is acceptable.

6.1% followed by 7.5%, and more specifically, a cash reserve fund that's higher than any other resort I know of, yet the resort has less amenites than most resorts, strikes me as unacceptable.

I feel your pain. I am afraid to see the increases at Oceana Palms and Ocean Pointe this year with the increased costs associated with shorter stays due to the DC points program.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I feel your pain. I am afraid to see the increases at Oceana Palms and Ocean Pointe this year with the increased costs associated with shorter stays due to the DC points program.

But I thought Marriott said that the DC point program was going to cover those extra costs? That was part of the reason for the skim and padded $0.40 pp DC trust point MF?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
But I thought Marriott said that the DC point program was going to cover those extra costs? That was part of the reason for the skim and padded $0.40 pp DC trust point MF?

I still can't see how those extra costs can be charged to the Weeks owners, when the docs for Weeks are pretty clear that their fees have to be justified in the Operating Budgets. Any blatant DC-related fees included in those budgets will be fairly transparent. Plus, most of the increases this year are in the Reserve Fees. What would those have to do with the DC? There definitely seems to be a reason the HOA's are focusing on the Reserves - could it be that they're more concerned with any effects the spin-off will cause for resorts in the future? Are they stockpiling for that reason?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

I think the majority of the problem is the ultra high standard Marriott sets for it's resorts and the favorable working relationship Marriott has with what I believe are some pretty high cost vendors. I'm pretty certain that both Ocean Pointe's HOA and Beachplace Towers HOA have had differences over the quality/cost factor in the refurbishments.

I try not to forget that Marriott requires a soft refurb every 5 years and a full refurb every 10 years. At least we're getting something for our ultra high cash reserves but, there's going to be a breaking point for owners at some point. They can not continue with 6 to 7% increases indefinately without it eventually taking a toll on owners. If MF's double every 10 to 15 years, the resorts will eventually be unsustainable. Grand Chateua is quickly becoming a financial problem child and I'm already to the point where I regret not only the initial purchase of an EOY week but the subsequent purchase of the corresonding EOY week.

Like you, I'm scared to see the Ocean Pointe assessment for 2012. It seems to me they've averaged between 6 and 7% each year. Removing the playground (for good reasons I've learned) and replacing it with a splash park isn't likely to help the situation.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like this annual thread because I like to understand what others are paying for Marriott properties different than what I own.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I alo appreciate seeing where the increases are going across the board. For example, the Aruba SC increase was very high, but of course Joe's thread reminded me that they had, in fact, decreased over the past two years. Also, I see that many other resorts are experiencing large increases in reserve fees. Lastly, but maybe it's just me, it tends to be human nature to glance at the bill rather than comparing it to prior years and breaking down where the increases are going, so I do think it makes us better informed owners.

armstrl

Reaction score
Marco Island - Crystal Shores Fees

Developer Subsidy -158.95
Operating Fee 1,304.09
Property Tax Fee 19.02
Replacement Reserve 252.96

Total 1,417.12