• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

Hotpink

Reaction score
Collin Knight

In the CCAA proceedings it showed Collin Knight as being owed a couple of million dollars as well as Dunvegan petroleum of which he was involved

thanks Clan Mac - that connects some more dots in this. there was a website set up early last year related to this issue , since shut down, it is mentioned in the early pages of this thread. Chris Bryant was posting on the site - it is also mentioned on this thread that he was co-opted by Northwynd to support the renovation project, and he is quoted in a CBC news article last year on this story saying he supported the renovation, it was hard to write the cheque but he did it. they didn't mention in the story that he was also an investor in the Olympia Trust RRSP related to the property under "renovation".

Now, a couple of other questions ... there is an FRPL Finance blog out in the web dated Feb 24,2010 that talks about 3 year term 12% bonds they were issuing. how does this fit into the mix ? maturity would have been last year I suppose.

and ... during the bankruptcy some of the major debtors included Dunvegan Petroleum (one of the Knight brothers) and Colin Knight himself with several million dollars "owing" to them. are they now part owners of the resort through bankruptcy and directing operations behind the scenes ?

Collin Knight was President of Fairmont Resort Properties Ltd and when he signed the original prospectus we received in 1998. He was also president of Lake Okanagan Resort Vacation Ltd up to at least 2008. I will dig out the creditor list from the CCAA ruling in 2010

ClanMac

Reaction score
Great ?'s N_M!

I remember the 3 yr. bonds and the 12%, and the tie in with FRPL Finance. FRLP was the name given to the internal management of the trust, and was responsible for managing the business affairs of Northwynd LP. The LP stands for Limited Partnership and represents the Corporation(s) and the General Partner (which was designated Fairwynd).

On March 4th, 2010 there was an agreement (the 'arrangement') between the trust, Northwynd LP, and the General Partner to exchange the first mortgage bonds secured on the Fairmont property assets for trust units of the Trust. It was a smart but snaky move because the "trust units will be qualified units for exempt plans"; which means transactions could be free of a prospectus offering (i.e.) no longer transparent and requiring information to be made public. An unlimited number of units could be generated, but at first there were 40 million, one for each dollar of the debt.

There were three trustees who were appointed then (during the restructuring), and not only could they recommend investing, they could sell units. It is interesting that two of them specialized and had other business interests in exempt market securities transactions. One got nailed and lost his licence for good, because he fraudulently ripped off millions. One other, very interestingly was also a director of the General Partner.

I believe this is all coming together, although Northwynd CC denies anything to do with all this. You can probably say that legitimately if Northwynd technically isn't involved in the partnership.

Hotpink

Reaction score
Creditor list

Here is the creditor list from 2010 follow the link

http://documentcentre.eycan.com/eyc...t Properties Ltd/FRP - Bankruptcy Package.pdf

You will note that the address for Collin Knight and Dunvegan petroleum are all the same

Look how many Valley businesses were also affected .
You may also see other familiar names such as Doug Morcon. check out Cedarpointe estates, FRPL Finance and all the Fairmont names in Calgary and Fairmont with the same addresses Have no idea of who Lorex in Vernon is.

When do we think the house of cards will start to falter???

no_more

Reaction score
hmmm ... how much dilution of the trust

I remember the 3 yr. bonds and the 12%, and the tie in with FRPL Finance. FRLP was the name given to the internal management of the trust, and was responsible for managing the business affairs of Northwynd LP. The LP stands for Limited Partnership and represents the Corporation(s) and the General Partner (which was designated Fairwynd).

On March 4th, 2010 there was an agreement (the 'arrangement') between the trust, Northwynd LP, and the General Partner to exchange the first mortgage bonds secured on the Fairmont property assets for trust units of the Trust. It was a smart but snaky move because the "trust units will be qualified units for exempt plans"; which means transactions could be free of a prospectus offering (i.e.) no longer transparent and requiring information to be made public. An unlimited number of units could be generated, but at first there were 40 million, one for each dollar of the debt.

There were three trustees who were appointed then (during the restructuring), and not only could they recommend investing, they could sell units. It is interesting that two of them specialized and had other business interests in exempt market securities transactions. One got nailed and lost his licence for good, because he fraudulently ripped off millions. One other, very interestingly was also a director of the General Partner.

I believe this is all coming together, although Northwynd CC denies anything to do with all this. You can probably say that legitimately if Northwynd technically isn't involved in the partnership.

Clanmac - I'm sure this explains the complicated corporate structure - a way of firewalling liabilities and facilitating any accounting deception - just saying, not "just facts"

Interesting ... just thinking aloud again ... how many units of the trust have been issued - the more units, the more debt, and the more obligations for distributions - I bet its way more than $43 Million ... which explains trying to liquidate Lake Okanagan ... and retrench into Fairmont and try to leverage the value of that one remaining asset ...

and I wonder who Northwynds auditor will be for the 2013 fiscal year .. my wager is its not Collins Barrow this time - if I were them I would turn this piece of business aside - I'd LOVE to see the audit workpapers that CB produced, the gaps - and the specifics of what led them to the qualified opinion ... that points to the money trail of any irregularities ...

the days of easy money are over for Northwynd regardless - they are being closely monitored and their business reputation is crap ...

all it takes is one well placed person in this house of cards to get caught in something else, and rat out his partners in exchange for some deal and the house collapses

Last edited:

Hotpink

Reaction score
Mr Wankel

When Northmont goes into receivership it will not be Mr. Wankel's first rodeo
He is listed as creditor number 153 with a undisclosed claim on the attached creditors list from Fairsky resources in Dec 2007
http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_ca/...andrestructuringproceedings/fairsky/index.htm

His Biography as posted on a site giving the listing of Northwynds 2011 management list is
Kirk Wankel; Chief Financial Officer
Kirk Wankel graduated from the University of Calgary with a Bachelors of Commerce in 1995 and obtained his Chartered Accountant designation in 1998 while working for Arthur Andersen. Kirk has over a decade of industry experience including positions as the Vice President of Finance for BW Technologies Ltd., Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Fair Sky Resources Inc., and Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Blackline GPS Inc. Kirk has been the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Northwynd since November, 2010.

BW sells Gas detectors, Fairsky Resources went through bankruptcy while he was the CFO and Blackline GPS sells GPS apps primarily for Blackberry smart phones. Guess he saw the writing on the wall for Blackberry when he decided to jump on board what must have looked like an easy game to play.

Now we as Lessees have him leading the charge as the new CEO to keep us forging ahead and hopefully afloat in these yet uncharted and turbulent seas of timeshare changes.

As the sports analogy goes a Coach is Hired to be Fired.

RWC

Reaction score
Here is the joke of the year, quote taken off of Northwynd's website. "As a chartered accountant recently told Northwynd staff, "I've worked out all the values of making this kind of investment and learned that, within five years, not only have I been paid back, but I now have quality vacations prepaid for the rest of my life. The longer I own, the better it gets!""

darklord700

Reaction score
No point talking to Northwynd at this point.

To increase public awareness, should we not hold a public protest or some kind?

Maybe we can have a 3 city protest on the same day (Van, Cal and Edm). It doesn't need to be anything serious but perhaps like a march to some trade commission office to let people know what Northwynd is doing to the timeshare or BC tourism industry.

I'll bring this up to my lawyer to see what he can suggest us do to expose Northwynd to the public. If nothing else at least we will let others know that there're options other than paying Northwynd's ransom.

ClanMac

Reaction score
getting attacked

Northwynd or associates obviously don't like whats being exchanged here lately.

Last edited:

ClanMac

Reaction score
more on the dilution

No_More you hit the nail on the head when you talked about the number of units creating a dilution. There were at least 40 million to begin with, and I have to go back to the restructuring details and pick through them again; however there was the securities swap and the bondholders exchanged their bonds for trust units in Northwynd. Northwynd then acquired the loans made by Fairmont to FRPL and the accompanying security interests in the Fairmont assets. FRPL had been in default of due payments to the bondholders(ist mortgage) since Dec., 2008.

As of March 31, 2010 the outstanding principal owed to the bondholdrs was $41,443,449.00, and unpaid interest of $10,561,831; as well another $12,640,933.00 owed. 43,804,817 LP (Limited Partnership) units were created, each worth $1.00. Northwynd needed a "bridge financing loan" to repay CCAA financing and to provide money to operate with, and a "demand promisory note" for $43 million was made. The loan agreement included the Fairmont security (property) and general service agreements. The general security agreement was granted to FRPL by Fairmont, Lake Okanagan Resort (LOR), and LOR Villas (run by another shell - Lorwynd).

All of this established Northwynd Properties Real Estate Trust as a "mutual fund trust", which was created primarily for the purposes of investing directly or indirectly in securities of Northwynd LP "in any business involving real estate development, acquisition and OPERATION!!!!!" Five of the major bond holders were employees of FRPL.....guess who?

This dilution of the value of the securities occurs frequently when exempt status is acquired (remember, less reporting to the public, no prospectus), and is essentially Debt Securities that can be sold. The huge problem that arises is what the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) refers to as: Over the Counter (OTC) trading with little information available to the public; a lack of systematic regulatory reporting or transparency for investors; a lack of timely pricing info (i.e. you don't know the true value of what you paid for); and no reassurance or specific valuation of the assets (i.e. Fairmont Property) that indicate that it can withstand the dilution created with the huge number of units being sold. In fact it couldn't possibly occur with the Fairmont and LOR properties and land; they are not worth anywhere near that, are mortgaged to the hilt and further loans (may as well be second or third mortgages) were taken out with the property as security. In essence it is debt on debt. Does this not set the stage for the potential emergence of a ponzi-like operation. Selling to Peter and using the proceeds to pay Paul; and then selling to Mary in order to pay Peter? There is no other way to pay the 12% guaranteed return on the investment over three years unless there is another source of revenue being gernerated.

When I specifically asked Northwynd CC where this revenue comes from, the response was essentially it is none of my business. After all we are just the TS peasantry! NCC did state that they were not involved in unit transactions and suggested they didn't know what I meant by Debt Securities transactions. Isn't it interesting that IIROC proposed requirements for Debt Securities Transactions in Feb., 2013, and they may be enforceable very soon if not already. That meant there had to be a fast scramble to get in as much $ as possible or run the risk of having to be accountable to IIROC and perhaps ultimately face charges of fraud for knowingly selling securities for way more than they are worth, and giving misleading information and promises of returns to unwitting investors.

The only other way to argue that this is not what was/is happening is to acknowledge that the principal bond/unit holders are investing their own money; and I can't see where you can add in other assets (property) as additional security; it is after all Northwynd's Real Estate and nothing else. The trustee who got busted interestingly claimed that he was investing the money he earned from sales commissions back into the trust, and he too was the victim of fraud. If I were prosecuting a criminal case based on this crap I sure as hell would be serving him with a subpoena to testify. Nothing like looking for a rat hoping to escape at least two years in the pen!

ClanMac

Reaction score
Addendum

Just a quick add on here. I will check into it to make sure if it occurs. Lets just say that massive unit holders like ComputerShare would have a trustee sell their units, and they could guarantee their value and rate of return on the billions worth of assets they own outside of the Fairmont properties. Would you want to be stuck with a real estate investment trust that requires you to have to back it up like that? The number one premise for developing and operating a business is to make $, and you don't get to be the size of ComputerShare by hanging on to dwindling assets like the Fairmont properties; and you can't be too happy with the property managers and developers who let it get this way in the first place. And like I said in a previous post, Northwynd can blame Fairmont RPL all it wants, but it has been running this ugly show for the last four years. If I were on the board of directors for ComputerShare or any of the other major unit holders, I wouldn't at all be happy with us TS peasantry digging into their business affairs and perhaps finding some grounds for questionable trading practices. Says a lot about the mismanagement and negligence of the Northwynd team.

Late2Game

Reaction score
Good digging ClanMac . . . . WOW!! What you've uncovered sure sounds a lot like a Ponzi scheme to me. . .of Bernie Madoff proportions! So where are the regulators, the RCMP, etc? Oh ya. . . just like 2008 on Wall Street, many of these companies go largely UNregulated.

Oh darklord700. . . .a march to the trade commission sounds like an interesting idea, though I sense you'd just encounter a lot of ambivalence there. A more effective location would be the Northwynd/Fairmont offices at 5799 - 3rd Street SE in Calgary. A little "information picket" on PUBLIC PROPERTY would certainly grab the attention of the MANY local TS leaseholders walking in with there cancellation agreements in the last few days before the January 15 "deadline". Remember, a lot of these will be walked in as people tend to procrastinate!

BTW . . .this forum has been VERY active over the past 24 hours. . . .approximately 1500 views over that time. Many people are still undecided and looking for information!

no_more

Reaction score
more musings ...

if you ever plan to visit the Northwynd offices at 5799 - 3rd Street SE - you can also drop in and compliment our trustee Philip Matkin on how well he has represented the timeshare lessees interests - his law office has the same address as Northwynd.

Matkin used to work at Macleod Dixon before he left to form his own firm. Who was Macleod Dixon bought by a few years ago ? - Norton Rose. They are the lawfirm representing Northwynd. hmmm...

who is listed as a vice president of Makaha resort in Hawaii, another property in the Northwynd stable ? Philip Matkin. hmmmm... Northwynd is being sued for repossession of this resort.

people that are undecided - call Geldert Law in Vancouver or Cox Taylor in Victoria - get another view from the legal groups representing us before you decide on paying northwynd thousands of dollars either way, to stay or leave. their websites have their contact information. they are working together. join a group fighting this, and have your interests protected.

Northwynd encourages you to get legal advise, so there are two suggestions on who to talk to ...

ClanMac

Reaction score
Offline personal messages

No_More, I am not snubbing your request for a private "tete a tete"; in fact I would enjoy nothing more at this point. I am not the most computer savvy guy and don't know how to do it without opening up personal e-mails; and I believe you were tagged when I did so the last time. My computer was attacked pretty harshly, and even now I have trouble getting to where I want to go. Show me a safe way and it will be done!

As well, great job on the Matkin and Rose Norton connections; this whole thing is starting to stink so bad I think even Madam Justice Loo would have her nose turned up.

We have to be aware that a lot of this would perhaps be subject to a submission of irrelevance and "turning over rocks and looking for dirt" as NCC claimed we were doing. The appeal is focused on the contract; whether it is unfair, been irreparably breached/voided, and therefore not binding. What we have been putting together provides a lot of evidence as to who has been pulling the strings in a nasty way and why; but the particulars relating to the mismanagement and negligence of the Fairmont properties in response to the string pulling would make for a much tighter noose.

There may come a time if it isn't already upon us, to consider what Geldert and company need to know and prepare for. I definitely know they don't want it aired out in this forum; and there's a few cards, including an ace in the hole I can play (if I have the legal aspects of it worked out right). Don't think for a minute that Northwynd isn't following all this like a starving man chasing after bread crumbs. Some of you wanted to know why Northwynd CC has been suddenly quiet as D Day the 15th is upon us. It for sure is for the same reason. I chastised him (we all know who it is!) for being an idiot and putting out here what he already did. If you go back a bit you will see that I suggested his senior legal counsel would be slapping him up side of the head for doing so, and being naive enough to think that he could bait Michael Geldert into playing 'chicken' with him. There pretty well hasn't been a peep since.

no_more

Reaction score
no worries clanmac

clanmac, I used the private messaging function available on this bulletin board for talking to other members. Apologies for any grief this has caused you.

Hotpink

Reaction score
Incestuous people in Northwynd

You may also note that in the CCAA hearing Philip Matkin is listed as accreditor being owed almost 12 K.

It would be nice to know if there is a lot of activity going on at 5799 - 3rd Street SE in Calgary on Wednesday the 15th. I am stuck up north would have gone and walked around with a placard of some nature.

Attached is a site regarding this matter in the local papers

http://www.columbiavalleypioneer.com/?p=10858

The reporter indicates a follow up story is in order and his contact info is in the story. He indicates he hasn't spoken with other owners to date.
You all can see his contact info.

Hotpink

Reaction score
Private messages

Clanmac

Left click on the persons name ( handle)
select send a private message to ?????
then you should be off to the races
Good luck

Redneckriot

Reaction score
I am a new member as a result of Northwinds ransom demands. I am wondering what are thoughts would be to message/mail/phone British Columbia's tourism minister informing him we will plan to never step foot in BC again.

ClanMac

Reaction score
Thanks HotPink! You have not caused me grief No_More, it is my own limitations. It will all work out. HP, what you say about Matkin and his investment/what is owed him, and his obvious position as caretaker of our $ clearly puts him in a conflict of interest. Seems the same may apply to others. This would be cause for investigation from the governing bodies that regulate their behaviour.

Redneckriot. It is a shame that you may give up visiting the beauty that is B.C., and as a result of the psychopaths who had no consideration for anything other than themselves. Give Tourism BC the notice, and when all this crap has been scraped away from you, you can see once again through unclouded eyes.

Last edited:

no_more

Reaction score
Redneckriot, I have not heard of anybody contacting the BC tourism minister, but I would not be surprised if they have been contacted by others and are aware of it.

You might want to contact either of the lawyers working this case - Geldert Law in Vancouver or Cox Taylor in Victoria and ask that question also.

no_more

Reaction score
Clanmac, you have seen my emails now. one further tip - there is an item called User CP again at the top of the panel - if you click on that you can change the parameters of your account - for example, you can block particular registered users on TUG from sending you emails if they become a nuisance.

Last edited:

DarkLord

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a new member as a result of Northwinds ransom demands. I am wondering what are thoughts would be to message/mail/phone British Columbia's tourism minister informing him we will plan to never step foot in BC again.

I'm waiting for my lawyer's suggestion about bring up this to the next level. Contacting the BC tourism minister is a great idea. The other one is to contact RCMP commercial fraud section.

You did the right thing coming here. Do not pay this crooks one red cent.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my lawyer's suggestion about bring up this to the next level. Contacting the BC tourism minister is a great idea. The other one is to contact RCMP commercial fraud section.

You did the right thing coming here. Do not pay this crooks one red cent.

I wouldn't be surprised if members of the BC government want this resort to continue any way possible. They don't want a failed major resort on their hands with loss of tourism and construction revenue. The RCMP have been informed and they will do nothing while the matter is being litigated. We need to win this case in court.

Last edited:

Northwynd CC

Reaction score
Northwynd or associates obviously don't like whats being exchanged here lately.

We continue to monitor this site regularly. We have accepted throughout this process that some owners will reject the situation to their last breath. What has been said here recently is neither surprising, nor of concern.

The last week’s posts are recycled theories that were not true in 2010 when they were rejected by Justice Romaine of the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, were not true in October when they were rejected by Justice Loo of the Supreme Court of British Columbia, and will still not be true when they are presented to the next justice. We have already addressed them through our customer service feedback thread in numerous places and specifically Misconception’s #1-#10.

While there are a few vocal individuals on this site, overall the site has very little activity and the last week of posts have shown it is no longer a constructive venue for information. At the same time, if an owner has a helpful question about the process, their contract, or the resort, we will continue to provide that information.

However, we will not engage in a war of words over recycled theories. If an owner is unwilling to listen to two federally appointed Justices who have heard all of these theories before and rejected them because they are without merit, it is unlikely they will listen to us. That has and will continue to be done in the court of law with our legal counsel.

We are focusing our resources on the hundreds of owners we communicate with daily who have questions about the resort and their contracts.