• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

no_more

Reaction score
don't pay them a cent ..

Late2game, read post #1089 on page 44 from GypsyOne which provides a concise answer to most of your questions.

Law enforcement has been involved in this ... and other agencies too ...

A number of people have been performing investigative spadework on this over the past year and this information is in the hands of legal counsel.

I've said it before, don't pay these people another cent and enable them further.

and don't assume northwynds mid-January "deadline" means a thing - they change the "rules" all the time to suit themselves ... and have for years at this and the other resorts they used to own .. look up rancho banderas and costa maya reef resort on the web and read all the complaints from their previously owned resorts in mexico and belize

for those who haven't done so, contact geldert law in Vancouver or cox taylor in Victoria and get some legal representation, and join the power of a group banding together to fight these people. both firms are still taking clients and working together. the retainer fee is very reasonable.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Legal council is recommending not to pay 2014 maintenance or either of the extortion fees at this time. Legal council will be responding to Northmont on behalf of their clients. An appeal of the Special Case hearing has been registered with the court. Lawyers will be reporting to their clients again on December 31 with an update. Reports are that there is strong support from the timeshare owners for an appeal, and they are continuing to sign on more timeshare owners.

I cannot emphasize enough, sign on with one of the two law firms Geldert Law or Cox Taylor. Yes, our lawyers lost the first round, but the battle is far from over. From what I heard, our lawyers represented us well and the costs have certainly been reasonable. But we are up against an unscrupulous company that have $millions of our money to spend on lawyers to extort more money from us. We need support of the owners and the resources that a large group of owners can provide.

Individual owners doing investigative work and reporting their findings is always welcomed. Every little bit helps. Some owners have already done considerable research. Jim Belfry, a timeshare owner who is well qualified, has dedicated a large part of the past summer in the search for truth. Some of his findings are disturbing, but its one thing to uncover what appears to be malfeasance and another thing to make it stick. Our lawyers have been able to use or will be able to use many of his findings. The point is that if some owners are willing to contribute considerable time to the cause, the rest of us should be prepared to contribute toward the legal costs to have our case heard.

To those wondering why the law enforcement authorities are not involved, they will not intervene while a case is before the courts. If malfeasance is proven, that is the time for law enforcement. But remember, these characters have been to this rodeo before and they hire big time law firms with our money to keep out of trouble.

Once again, if you haven't already, sign up and hang tough unless you like being scammed. We can win this case because we have right on our side.

Late2Game

Reaction score
Jumping onboard . . .

Thanks no_more and GypsyOne. This provides somewhat more clarity . . .certainly enough for me to jump onboard with one of the two law firms noted.

I wonder how many hundreds or thousands of others would do likewise if they knew what was going on behind the scenes. I suspect there are MANY others like myself just now finding out about this OR may still be unaware. Such is the problem when nobody has a “list” of leaseholders, other than the Trustee (is that an oxymoron?).

As for the mid-January “deadline”, my understanding is that Northwynd can extend this offer as long as they please, but there’s nothing compelling them to do so. This will create some urgency for leaseholders seeking some cost certainty and closure on this matter. In the event our legal arguments do not prevail, we're then all saddled with the renovation fee AND another 30 years of repressive maintenance fees. Please tell me I'm wrong on this assessment!

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Thanks no_more and GypsyOne. This provides somewhat more clarity . . .certainly enough for me to jump onboard with one of the two law firms noted.

In the event our legal arguments do not prevail, we're then all saddled with the renovation fee AND another 30 years of repressive maintenance fees. Please tell me I'm wrong on this assessment!

Sorry, you're not wrong on that assessment. Or you can pay the cancellation fee, in which case you would have paid, say, $16,000 to acquire the timeshare and another approximately $4,000 for them to take it back. So you would have paid a total of $20,000 and you no longer have a timeshare. If anything is more ludicrous in its absurdity, I don't know what it is.

no_more

Reaction score
Our interests are much better served with legal representation within a group.

I understood that more clearly after speaking with the lawyers earlier in the process, and before I joined the group.

I asked them a bunch of questions, and came away quite satisfied with the answers, and their subject area knowedge.

freetime

Reaction score
Been talking to a lawyer that reviewed the case he said that the timeshare owner may have a chance, but keep in mind its not a 100% sure thing, so if we lose what's to stop these crocks on increasing the pay out yet again.

Spark1

Reaction score
I have been researching what has been going on with Northwynd and the REIT in particular, leading up to, during and after the restructuring; and uncovered a lot of things. Anonymous wrote a piece some time back and I wasn't able to find it on a quick search; however he stated that a lot of information would be made available over the net that would reveal the deceit, deception and likely illegal activity. I have pieced together some and wonder if anonymous or someone else is 'feeding' me.

I have read a lot of what you all post, and with the exception of the superficial crap JustFacts throws out to scare those who are susceptible, I commend your determination and strength. Failure to provide audited financial statements in accord with the standards of timeline that is set forth constitutes a major breach of contract, and in accord with all Securities Commission's standards sends up a major "red flag". The auditors who finally produced statements wrote a disclaimer stating that for the last half of 2010 there was substantial missing data, and they could not rule out fraud, theft etc.

When the restructuring proposal was put in place and accepted by the first mortgage bond holders, Patrick Fitzsimonds (CEO) and Dale Kearns (CFO) were heralded as the management of savior proportions, and interestingly Ricardo John Cavalli was appointed as one of the trustees to NPREIT (virtually responsible for all transactions but focused on paying at least 90% of all revenue to the unit holders (securities swap from first mortgage bonds with a new bridging loan for operating cash and money to pay off the fees associated with bankruptcy protection).

Cavalli made hundreds of thousands in commissions for selling units from the trust, but illegally; and subsequently lost his licence permanently in a disciplinary decision made by the Mutual Fund Dealers Ass'n of Canada (endorsed fully by the Alberta Securities Commission with whom reports must be filed with respect to exempt securities dealings; although exemption status allows for much less disclosure to investors and always involves a much greater degree of risk). Cavalli ripped off vulnerable investors, including the elderly who invested insurance payments, life savings, RRSP's etc.

Wankel won't communicate with me directly, so he has his spokeswoman do so; and they have made it clear that they are not going to answer questions as to why Fitzsimonds bailed, wher and why Kearns disappeared, and the timing of Wankel's appointment as CFO. Wankel had been previously involved with Big Sky Investments, a company that went bankrupt after a lot of shady investments into defunct and non-producing oil well projects.

In any event the story just keeps on getting better and better, or perhaps more appropriate, more and more dirty. There was obvious illegal transactions going on with NPREIT and this was behind the missing data that led to the problems and delays with the audited financial statements. Even these, now that they are out there, can be very misleading. Accounting within the trust and what is sent to us with respect to TS accounting is two different things. Olympia trust senior management reported major investment losses into NPREIT and stated they had not received audited financial statements for over six years. They were suing specific individuals with Northwynd, but have since grown quiet; and I found out that some major assets of Olympia were sold to Computershare Canada less than a month ago. Computershare is perhaps the largest of the original first mortgage bond holders.

Tell JustFacts that once in a court of law at any level one is entitled to a defence, and the details of a prepared response; particularly with examination for discovery and the undertakings that compel the production of information is not one Northwynd would like to be involved with. More is to come, but in the interim where is Anonymous?
This explains why the late Audited Statements. I have been following Conrad MacNeils posts on Owner Association Fairmont Sunchaser Northwynd Resort and there was another post written buy James MacKay on Dec 23. Very interesting reading. All this information will be faxed over to Geldert Law.
I have been reading over my VACATION VILLA LEASE Items 9 and 10.Justice loo can not agree with Northwynd to charge us timeshare owners that have this agreement a one time or more one time fees for capital renovation costs. Item no. 9 and 10 pertain to the breakdown of maintenance fees. Item no 10 (g) REPLACEMENT RESERVE TRUST ACCOUNT pays for Capital RENOVATION COSTS. Just because she is a Supreme Court Judge does not mean she knows everything. Item no. 13 is our cancellation agreement with this VACATION VILLA LEASE.
Item no. 38 Modifications to lease, the lessor reserves the right to adjust or modify this lease from time to time for the benefit of existing and future lessees,provided that any such adjustment or modification will not in any way MATERIALLY PREJUDICE the RIGHTS of existing lessees. If any such adjustment or modification is effected, the lessor will provide notice to each lessee setting out the nature of the adjustment or modification,the reasons giving rise to such adjustment or modification and the effects thereof. I have not received any notice.

Spark1

Reaction score
This explains why the late Audited Statements. I have been following Conrad MacNeils posts on Owner Association Fairmont Sunchaser Northwynd Resort and there was another post written buy James MacKay on Dec 23. Very interesting reading. All this information will be faxed over to Geldert Law.
I have been reading over my VACATION VILLA LEASE Items 9 and 10.Justice loo can not agree with Northwynd to charge us timeshare owners that have this agreement a one time or more one time fees for capital renovation costs. Item no. 9 and 10 pertain to the breakdown of maintenance fees. Item no 10 (g) REPLACEMENT RESERVE TRUST ACCOUNT pays for Capital RENOVATION COSTS. Just because she is a Supreme Court Judge does not mean she knows everything. Item no. 13 is our cancellation agreement with this VACATION VILLA LEASE.
Item no. 38 Modifications to lease, the lessor reserves the right to adjust or modify this lease from time to time for the benefit of existing and future lessees,provided that any such adjustment or modification will not in any way MATERIALLY PREJUDICE the RIGHTS of existing lessees. If any such adjustment or modification is effected, the lessor will provide notice to each lessee setting out the nature of the adjustment or modification,the reasons giving rise to such adjustment or modification and the effects thereof. I have not received any notice.
I have to add this. Go to google and write in Norton Rose sunchaservillas.
click on and you will go to the front page. Go to the bottom of the page to summary of conclusions item no. 2. As long term lessees and co-owners of the Resort, all of the timeshare owners, including the developer are responsible for payment of their proportionate share of all costs of administration, maintenance,repair and REPLACEMENT OF THE RESORT. Have you read in our VACATION VILLA LEASE That we have to replace the resort. I sure did not receive a notice that we have to replace the resort as a agreement modification. Nicely done up before it went to the Supreme Court. If it is so easy as this ,why didn't Colin Knight take this option and have us time owners replace his resort? Are we all co-owners now? Maybe JustFacts can answer this?

ClanMac

Reaction score
I did contact the Commercial Crimes Division of the Calgary RCMP detachment. They know what's going on in a general sense and commend what we are doing and hope that what is eventually uncovered, particularly with civil litigation, will provide them with enough evidence to proceed with a criminal investigation that will lead to charges without too much of a cost. They ruled out a forensic audit at this time. The cops are stretched to the limits with respect to their resources and see this one unfolding, or collapsing; and would rather wait and let it all fall into their hands. What should scare the crap out of any involved with these thieves (except for the primary psychopaths who always perceive they are invulnerable), is that a fraud conviction based on this amount of money and these many victims calls for a mandatory minimal sentence of two years. I have been following some similar cases in Alberta where the sentence is at 10 yrs. or more. Most "snakes in suits" are smart enough to get out before the trail of all the evidence starts licking at their butt; and I know the head guy at Northwynd is very smart. Problem is for him is that so are some of us, and many of my forensic friends in particular. Bring it on and let the fun and games begin.

I hear what you say about anonymous, but I had an outside contact last night and the word was wait and be patient. There's some good hacking going
down.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
I have to add this. Go to google and write in Norton Rose sunchaservillas.
click on and you will go to the front page. Go to the bottom of the page to summary of conclusions item no. 2. As long term lessees and co-owners of the Resort, all of the timeshare owners, including the developer are responsible for payment of their proportionate share of all costs of administration, maintenance,repair and REPLACEMENT OF THE RESORT. Have you read in our VACATION VILLA LEASE That we have to replace the resort. I sure did not receive a notice that we have to replace the resort as a agreement modification. Nicely done up before it went to the Supreme Court. If it is so easy as this ,why didn't Colin Knight take this option and have us time owners replace his resort? Are we all co-owners now? Maybe JustFacts can answer this?

All of the timeshare agreements up to about 2009 were Vacation Villa Leases, timeshare owners were called lessees or tenants, and the lease did not include responsibility for costs of capital improvements. And in common law and practice, Timeshare lessees would no more be responsible for capital improvements than the lessee of an apartment would be responsible for replacing the roof. Then about 2009, the "new" owners being faced with a rapidly deteriorating resort and looking for ways to saddle the timeshare lessees with the costs of restoration, cleverly blitzed the timeshare lessees with a plan to convert leases to co-ownership agreements at a cost of about $6,000 to $9,000. To the new Vacation Interval Agreements they added the phrase "....and to pay the costs of capital improvements that may from time to time be required." Clearly the original timeshare lessees are not responsible for capital improvements or Northmont would not have seen the need to add the phrase to the new agreements.

In her ruling, Justice Loo did not distinguish between the original lease agreements and the new "Legacy For Life" co-ownership agreements. Clearly they are different with different rights and responsibilities.

Justice Loo is a provincially appointed judge and the province of B.C. does not want a bankrupt major resort on its hands with resulting loss of construction and tourism revenue. Does that affect a Judge's ruling? I don't know, but it will be interesting to see how the B.C. Court of Appeal with Federally appointed judges handles the case. If the case is overturned, it wouldn't be the first time for Justice Loo, and given a dressing down by the Court of Appeal judge for "egregious errors." (Marianio personal injury case).

disillusioned

Reaction score
non payment

When I paid last years maintenance fee the lady in the office said the maintenance fee had gone up because so many owners had refused to pay it. She said it was difficult to get the money from people. It seemed like there must have been a substantial number of people not paying their fees over several years. I am concerned about every angle of this situation. If they didn't bother going after people then is there a need to worry about not paying either the freedom to choose or the reason to stay amount now? All the people that didn't pay maintenance fees and thought they had effectively let their timeshare go do they actually still own it and could they still be taken to court? How do we know that we are actually cancelling anything if we decide to pay to get out? Maybe there will be some loophole whereby we are always responsible for whatever they ask of us! My purchase contract says that if I don't make a payment for more than six months the timeshare goes back to them. Why would I be taken to court for being in arrears for "maintenance fees" if in fact I no longer own it as my contract says! I am tired of paying lawyers (because let's face it...everyone involved in this is a lawyer). Does anyone have a response to my diatribe?

ClanMac

Reaction score
Read what has already been posted...

Disillusioned:

As the title of this reply suggests, you will know a whole lot more if you backtrack. There are essentially three groups: those who have panicked and paid the maintenance fees and the money to get out; those who did the former and decided to buy all the Northwynd crap about a new and better resort and paid the reno fees; and those of us who decided "not another penny!"

If you go through the last two to three series of posts/threads you will read about why the contract you signed isn't worth the two-ply it is written on. Failure to provide audited financial statements on the designated timeline is a major breach, and when you add in what is documented evidence of illegal securities transactions by one of the trustees that is responsible for the trust that manages all the money (including yours), how could you possibly be held liable to a contract where the contractor doesn't let you know what is happening to your money and is engaging in illegal activity with it.

I have been in every court jurisdiction in Alberta, and now several in BC, and it still amazes me how people have anxiety attacks when a legal action is threatened or a lawyer starts pointing fingers and barking. The only thing that separates a lawyer from you is their knowledge of legal jurisprudence and the language in which to operate with it. Trust me!, I have been on the stand civilly and criminally in the most hostile of circumstances, and the bottom line is that if you are standing up for your rights and won't back down you will win.

As Spark1 says (by the way pay particular attention to where he has gone with this) some of us are doing a lot of "spade work" and the more we dig up the dirtier this whole mess gets. You make up your own mind, but at least make sure you are informed and not as disillusioned. Shake the cobwebs clear and look at all this through clear eyes and realize you are not alone.

Meow

Reaction score
Thank you ClanMac, I needed that. I had a hard time making up my mind about continuing the legal battle. I finally reconfirmed with Cox Taylor at the 11th Hour - this afternoon. I am still uncertain if this effort will go anywhere.
But, what the Hell!

Rabbitman56

Reaction score
Where are we at

Hi all have not paid anything yet and am a biannual even so received letter about Maintence fee and buy out option? have read that the BC case has sided with the timeshare at the first level and have heard that some are appealing decision? how do we get in contact with them? Can we just wait and see what outcome is bfore making decision to pay anything. :shrug:

ClanMac

Reaction score
You need to read previous posts/threads too!

Hi Rabbitman56

You have been out of the loop. Please go back and follow at least the last two to three sets of postings under this heading.

There are a lot of us who are not going to pay Northwyn another cent. Check out no_more, GypsyOne, and Spark1. After what you read you decide whether you are with us or not.

Welcome to the show!

no_more

Reaction score
Join us

Hi Rabbitman56, I have been researching this situation for one year - started researching this soon as I got the first set of renovation information from Northmont in Dec 2012. The more I read, the angrier I got.

I am absolutely convinced from my experiences dealing with them during and after my timeshare purchase, and from the research and speaking with others, and their lack of cooperation when I started asking questions about the renovation early last year, the doubling of the maintenance fees with no oversight in less than 5 years, the missing and incomplete audits, that these people are misusing funds and must be stopped. The more you read and research, the dirtier this becomes.

You should read the posts on this thread, at least 2-3 pages back as ClanMac mentioned, but the entire thread starting at page 1 if you have the time. I'd make the time to read the entire thread given the amount of money involved.

As ClanMac and GypsyOne and I say, don't pay this company a cent, and join one of the legal firms fighting this. As a biennial even purchaser, you now are expected to cough up around $3000 to Northmont to leave, and even more if you want to stay and deal with their way of doing business.

this company has left a trail of unhappy timeshare owners in Mexico, Hawaii and Belize over the years - all resorts where they jacked up maintenance fees, refused exchanges and forced people to abandon their timeshares. They are being sued for foreclosure in their Makaha resort in Hawaii which has been closed, and they had to sell the others. The internet is full of stories about other timeshare owners wanting to and organizing to sue them in other jurisdictions, but this is difficult to do in Mexico and Belize.

sign up with one of the legal firms representing hundreds of timeshare lessees fighting this, Geldert Law out of Vancouver, or Cox Taylor out of Victoria. Gelderts retainer is $150. the two law firms are working together. The retainer to join the appeal process is a small fraction of the thousands you would have to pay them either to get out, or walk away. You will also have the security of some legal representation in a group, so that you can make an informed decision as the process unfolds.

the contact information for both cox taylor and geldert law is on previous pages on this thread. they also have websites ...

The only thing worse than paying to leave, is paying to stay, as I am convinced that northmont plans to take over the entire resort by forcing all of the timeshare lessees out over time, by jacking up maintenance fees more as they continually shrink the size of the resort, if the BC court allows them to do that. oh, and possibly another renovation fee in a few years time, if they can possibly scheme up another way to get more money out of your wallet, and force the remaining lessees out.

Last edited:

Northwynd CC

Reaction score
Justice Loo is a provincially appointed judge and the province of B.C. does not want a bankrupt major resort on its hands with resulting loss of construction and tourism revenue. Does that affect a Judge's ruling? I don't know, but it will be interesting to see how the B.C. Court of Appeal with Federally appointed judges handles the case.

Thank you for this post GypsyOne. We have struggled to understand why you believe that Justice Loo has been influenced by the BC government, but now we see it is an innocent misconception.

Justice Loo is not a provincially appointed judge. Superior court judges, like the BC Supreme Court and the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench are federally appointed by Cabinet just like the court of appeal.

If you would like more information on the Supreme Court of British Columbia, we suggest you review the wikipedia entry which includes this information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_British_Columbia

We hope this helps with your misconception. We will add it to our list as Misconception #20 to help others.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Justice Loo is not a provincially appointed judge. Superior court judges, like the BC Supreme Court and the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench are federally appointed by Cabinet just like the court of appeal.

We hope this helps with your misconception. We will add it to our list as Misconception #20 to help others.

Appears my original research was in error, probably because I equated B.C. Supreme Court with Provincial Court. Thanks for the correction.

I presume because you did not take issue with the rest of my post, you agree.

ie. "All of the timeshare agreements up to about 2009 were Vacation Villa Leases, timeshare owners were called lessees or tenants, and the lease did not include responsibility for costs of capital improvements. And in common law and practice, Timeshare lessees would no more be responsible for capital improvements than the lessee of an apartment would be responsible for replacing the roof. Then about 2009, the "new" owners being faced with a rapidly deteriorating resort and looking for ways to saddle the timeshare lessees with the costs of restoration, cleverly blitzed the timeshare lessees with a plan to convert leases to co-ownership agreements at a cost of about $6,000 to $9,000. To the new Vacation Interval Agreements they added the phrase "....and to pay the costs of capital improvements that may from time to time be required." Clearly the original timeshare lessees are not responsible for capital improvements or Northmont would not have seen the need to add the phrase to the new agreements."

To my way of thinking, the preceding is a far more important point than some general speculation about whether the Justice may or may not be biased.

Since you would "like to help others," would you like to post your supposed list of 20 Misconceptions. Of course that would also open up the list to fact checking, but I'm sure that's not a problem because you are interested in factual information.

Reaction score
To add to the confusion

Looks like someone from Sunchaser, Northwynd or wherever has listed their 20 mis conceptions on another thread.. Makes for a long night of reading and answers some questions but also creates a whole lot more.. you need to go back to the Canadian Forums and find the posts from Sunchaser customer service. As always the road to information on this is a muddy messy trail. Deadline sucks and more leverage being applied. if the poster of the Sunchaser thread reads this a roadmap may have been helpful.. Also how do the number of cancellations at this time compare to the number choosing to stay.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Looks like someone from Sunchaser, Northwynd or wherever has listed their 20 mis conceptions on another thread.. Makes for a long night of reading and answers some questions but also creates a whole lot more.. you need to go back to the Canadian Forums and find the posts from Sunchaser customer service. As always the road to information on this is a muddy messy trail. Deadline sucks and more leverage being applied. if the poster of the Sunchaser thread reads this a roadmap may have been helpful.. Also how do the number of cancellations at this time compare to the number choosing to stay.

I just found the Northwynd post on the Canadian Forums, but haven't read it yet.

Northwynd CC

Reaction score
I presume because you did not take issue with the rest of my post, you agree.

ie. "All of the timeshare agreements up to about 2009 were Vacation Villa Leases, timeshare owners were called lessees or tenants, and the lease did not include responsibility for costs of capital improvements. And in common law and practice, Timeshare lessees would no more be responsible for capital improvements than the lessee of an apartment would be responsible for replacing the roof. Then about 2009, the "new" owners being faced with a rapidly deteriorating resort and looking for ways to saddle the timeshare lessees with the costs of restoration, cleverly blitzed the timeshare lessees with a plan to convert leases to co-ownership agreements at a cost of about $6,000 to $9,000. To the new Vacation Interval Agreements they added the phrase "....and to pay the costs of capital improvements that may from time to time be required." Clearly the original timeshare lessees are not responsible for capital improvements or Northmont would not have seen the need to add the phrase to the new agreements."

To my way of thinking, the preceding is a far more important point than some general speculation about whether the Justice may or may not be biased.
Thank you for your response GypsyOne. We appreciate the discussion.

However, please note that not responding is not the same as agreeing or not taking issue. Healthy discussion is not whack-a-mole. If someone pops up with a misconception and we do not bonk it on the head it simply means we haven’t gotten to it yet or did not think it was as significant as others.

The same is true of Justice Loo. Her ruling was 51 pages long but could have easily been over 100 if she addressed all of the issues that were raised by the delinquent owners. Unfortunately, that has resulted in misconceptions because people have looked at the 51 pages and said “she didn’t address this so it must be true” when in fact she did address it at the hearing, but just chose not to specifically write it in the reasons because the evidence was already overwhelming.

A great example of this is the audited financial statements. These were brought up by the delinquent owners and dismissed by Justice Loo because the argument is without merit.

As for your specific issue, it is a misconception that was specifically addressed by Justice Loo in lines 88 to 95 of her judgment. However, we’ll add a bit more information.

Our position has been and continues to be that the owners are responsible for all costs of the resort and that the definition of costs is at the beginning of the cost clause of the agreements which say “the Lessee/co-owner shall be responsible for his proportionate share of all administration, maintenance and repair costs and replacement costs with respect to the project and the refurbishment of the villas, including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the following:”.

The remainder of the clause, including the part that you refer to that has changed over time, is nothing more than examples of the types of costs and is not binding. That is the effect of the phrase “without limiting the foregoing.”

Justice Loo confirmed this position specifically stating it at line 88 where she said “Although the owner’s characterization of the upgrades as extending “well beyond regular maintenance” may be accurate, the owner’s contractual liability is not limited to payment of only maintenance costs. Under the terms of the agreements, the owners are obligated to pay operating costs as well as replacement and refurbishment costs. Operating costs are defined to include “all administrative, maintenance, repair and replacement costs.”

We thought this issue of “capital costs” was put to bed by Justice Loo. As it has not, we will add it as misconception #22.

Northwynd CC

Reaction score

Hello Rider Nation Rocks.

Thank you for your inquiry. We will do our best to provide you a short answer.

We characterize this situation as a simple issue with a lot of “white noise” because of the history of the resort.

Under any contract, there are only two questions:

1) What does the contract say?
2) Has either party breached the contract?

Justice Loo dealt with #1 by providing everyone three very important conclusions:

1) The timeshare owners are responsible for all costs of operating the resort including the renovation fee.
2) The contracts do not entitle the timeshare owners a right of termination which means any cancellation must be on terms acceptable to Northmont.
3) Our responsibility is to act reasonably in the operation of the resort and the renovation plan is a reasonable plan.

That is all really simple, but for those delinquent owners who are unhappy with the answer, it leaves question #2 which is where it gets messy because of two major misconceptions:

1) Any breach is a repudiary breach: We address this as Misconception #3 and recommend everyone read it. Deliquent owners seem to be turning over every rock for dirt and looking in every closet for a skeleton incorrectly believing that any “gotcha” lets them walk away, but that is not how the law works. Earlier in this thread, there was even a suggestion we’ve done something wrong because we emailed an owner their statement because they are "supposed to get it in the mail."

2) Northmont is responsible for Fairmont’s actions: We address this as Misconception #9 and recommend everyone read it as well.

Let us deal with Fairmont for a minute because it is the lightning rod. We are not here to defend Fairmont. On the contrary, our unitholders are probably as mad as or madder at Fairmont than you are (see Misconception #4). Fairmont did not just put you in this situation, it put all of the employees and it put our 800 unitholders in it too. Unfortunately, Fairmont went bankrupt.

We are all trying to clean up the situation that was put in our lap. Nobody “deserves” this situation, but that doesn’t change the circumstances. Our job is to make the best of a bad situation and we are trying to do that. Being mad at Fairmont or worse, being mad at us because being mad at Fairmont is futile, only makes the situation worse.

This is why we announced the renovation a year ago. We realized many owners would need to go through a period of being mad, then understanding, and then hopefully accepting. We hoped five months would be long enough for that to happen and it did for most owners. We believe 90% of our owners had accepted (not liked, we don’t expect everyone to like it) the situation in May. However, many wanted confirmation that our interpretation of the contract was valid before making a decision.

From our experience talking to thousands of owners, those who are still in the mad phase remain there because they cannot get past Fairmont’s actions. We believe they are mad at us as surrogates for Fairmont.

Back to the issue at hand. We have not seen any evidence of wrongdoing by Northmont which is no surprise to us because we do not have any skeletons. We may not be operating the resort perfectly, but no company is perfect. Justice Loo confirmed our responsibility is to act reasonably and we have and will happily stand up in court, in front of the media, or in response to any owner stating we have done so without hesitation.

Delinquent owners who continue to fight this now have to win three, yes three, legal battles if they want to succeed in getting out of their contract. They have to win the appeal. Then they have to win the lawsuit when Northmont sues them for default, and then they have to win Northmont’s appeal of that suit.

In each case, they have to convince a judge or panel of judges that Justice Loo of the Supreme Court of BC was wrong, Justice Romaine of the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench was wrong, and that Northmont is in breach of contract at a repudiary, not just curable, level.

While we do not think this has any chance of succeeding because we think both judges were correct and do not think we are in breach of contract, even the most militant detractor cannot believe the likelihood of victory is more than 50%.

You have to ask yourself if spending three years (because it will probably take at least that long to fight) and whatever amount in legal fees it takes, is worth it for a fight that has a very low chance of success and very high cost (three years of maintenance fees and interest, the renovation fee, and legal costs) of failure.

Also, please do not take our word for it. Someone will probably say, and correctly, that we benefit from not fighting. We do and we don't hide that fact. Everyone loses in unnecessary legal battles except the lawyers, but there is no doubt we are conflicted. Don't take our word for it, or the word of any other conflicted party. The best way to answer the question is to ask an independent advisor/friend/family member/lawyer. Ask someone who has no vested interest in the outcome to give you an honest opinion free of the emotion of the situation.

We apologize; this did not turn out short at all. However, we hope it helps.

Hotpink

Reaction score
Misconceptions

I just found the Northwynd post on the Canadian Forums, but haven't read it yet.

Have looked but can't seem to locate it .Would love to read it; can you point the direction Thanks :wall:

ERW

Reaction score
I am actually quite pleased to see Northwynd here in this forum. Helps to clear a lot of misunderstanding. You may not agree with their approach or opinions but at least there is some forum for hearing Northwynd's side of the story which is every bit as important as the lessee's and owner's opinions.

Perhaps now is a good time to suggest a lessee/owners group be formed to work with Northwynd versus fighting with them? I am sure there are some that will classify me as a puppet, but after all is said and done, the only real opinions to date on this forum have been those of owners/lessees who feel they are being exploited. That is understandable. Reading some of the Northwynd items has for me clarified some of the issues. To most people here (including myself) $3000.00+ is a very large sum of money not to mention the investment we as individuals have made in our timeshares. I am still on the fence about staying or leaving but will review much of the Northwynd info over the weekend and try to make a decision sooner than later.

no_more

Reaction score
Hotpink, go up to the very top of this page, you will see a chain that says

Timeshare user group forums - > Regions -> Canada

click on Canada hotlink and you will see that Northwynd CC has started a new thread with 22-23 posts ...