• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Question about HGVC Resale

Corsy

Reaction score
I am interested in buying our first resale timeshare and this forum has been extremely helpful. We want something that won't require us to use full week stays and will also convert to hotel points as we both travel for business. From the research I'm doing it appears that HGVC is our best option, no? We want our home resort to be Orlando and I think Seaworld fits our family the most. I just am confused because originally we looked at Starwood and people were giving them away for FREE but the HGVC ones seem to go for thousands? There is one on eBay with a $50 bid right now but only has 3500 points in Silver Season. Since we never travel for a week at a time and we usually take our 4-5 day vacations in November or December (not Christmas) would this be good for us? Is 3500 points enough? Does it matter where the unit is because that didn't seem to be listed? Is there a good place for me to go to get them for free like the Starwood ones? Your guidance is appreciated!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With respect to the HGVC system, you should keep these things in mind:

-- HGVC has a ROFR (right of first refusal) in all its resorts, 'cept Flamingo,
and hotel-based tend have higher prices. Thus HGVC tends to hold its value.

-- Maintenance Fees are based on unit size, not season or points,
so you'll get more points per MF$ with platinum or gold season TS's.

-- Points are points. It matters not where you buy, as you can use them
anywhere, in any season, as long as you have enuff in your account.

-- Where you buy will get you an early booking window (12-9 mos) and
will affect the MF rates (Orlando & Vegas have the lowest).

-- Converting points to HHonors can be done with "next" year's points,
but it's not an efficient use -- a 1:25 ratio gets you fewer hotel nights.
A better practice is to enhance your hotel-points with a Hilton credit card.

Last edited:

Corsy

Reaction score
Thanks talent! So that being said do you think that Seaworld is a good option for us but we should buy platinum or gold and expect to pay thousands for it? How many points in this system is adequate?

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love how the seller puts in that there is ROFR.
Not true...

This is tempting...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
More points are better than less, for sure; however, a Seaworld package of 3,500 points is minimally adequate. It will give you a basic week's vacation once a year, with the option to book a smaller unit to stretch it out for two weeks. Also, by using less than a week (3-days minumum), you can break it up into multiple trips.

Corsy

Reaction score
So even if we plan to go to Orlando many times it's still fine to buy at Flamingo? For our needs do you think that HGVC is the best option?

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
points are points

No threat of hurricanes in Las Vegas. Hurricane damage may equal special assessment. Just something to think about.

Corsy

Reaction score
Good point. Will we have any trouble booking in Orlando? What is the difference if we buy at the Marco Island affiliate?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Will we have any trouble booking in Orlando? What is the difference if we buy at the Marco Island affiliate?

No trouble booking Orlando at all. There are three HGVC resorts and they all have plenty of availability for both club-reservations (starting 9 months out) and open season (at 30 days out).

Hurricane alarmists need to get over themselves. I own at Seaworld. It's 60 miles inland from the Atlantic and 80 miles from the Gulf. The chances of any serious damage is remote. Direct hits are very rare and, even with a direct hit, a friend there lost the screen enclosure over his pool. Disney and Universal closed for one day. "The horror!"

SW Florida can be difficult for non-owners to book club reservations 'cuz many owners at these affiliated resorts choose not to participate in Hilton at all, or choose each year to use their week instead of club-points (wouldn't you). Also, affiliates are not bookable thru HGVC's website, so you'd have to call the C/S center to attempt a booking. This limits booking by "outsiders."

No worries, mate. Simply choose the package that makes the most sense for you.

Last edited:

Corsy

Reaction score
Wait, I'm confused, what is the difference between buying at Seaworld and an affiliate? Also, if HGVC are selling for thousands and have ROFR, is Marriott a better choice for me? Where is the best/least expensive place to buy a points based system (remember we never travel for a full week but travel. 3-4 times a year ). Thanks!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Wait, I'm confused, what is the difference between buying at Seaworld and an affiliate? Also, if HGVC are selling for thousands and have ROFR, is Marriott a better choice for me? Where is the best/least expensive place to buy a points based system (remember we never travel for a full week but travel. 3-4 times a year ).[

I cannot answer for Marriott. By report, they are not as friendly to resale buyers as Hilton.
Frankly, Wyndham has the most resorts and is the least expensive of all the hotel-systems,
but it lacks the uniformly high quality and cachet of Hilton or Marriott.

Within the HGVC system, there are (1) resorts built+owned+managed by HGVC (true HGVC resorts), (2) some that HGVC bought into, and (3) more commonly, resorts that were built independently that choose to be managed by or contractually affiliated with HGVC as a benefit to its owners.

Its the third sort that we call "affiliates." At affiliates, membership in HGVC is optional, annual participation in HGVC is optional, and they tend to be cheaper than true HGVC resorts. There's also a significant activation fee, if you choose to join HGVC.

Last edited:

janckenn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Grand Waikikian x1
HGVC West 57th Street x2,
HGVC Flamingo x2,
HC The District x1
HGVC member since 2007
I own HGVC Grand Waikikian and West 57th because of location, location, location.

I bought HGVC Flamingo resale because of points, points, points. There is absolutely no right of first refusal at that location. Maintenance fee is low, making it even more attractive. With its location in the middle of the Strip, it is becoming a great location, location, location. 7,000 points are hard to come by on e-bay, but I was able to pick up a couple in early 2011 for $10K each. Also picked up a couple 4,800 points in 2010 for about $3K each, also on e-bay. My e-bay transactions were all very smooth, no problems whatsoever.

Good luck!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I agree with the 4800 point minimum, just get a good foothold in the door to cover 1 week in 1 br in Hawaii. For your needs of short vacations, the cash based 30 day open season would get you 2 night minimums without using points at all ($80-$140 / night based on size / dow).

miketv

Reaction score
Check the marketplace - someones selling 7000 points at I-Drive for $7500 but I doubt it pass ROFR.

It's a steal if it passes.

Corsy

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about a 5000 point at Flamingo but also am considering a 5000 at Marco Island...I'm still not grasping whether an affiliate will be better or Flamingo better...there isn't ROFR at affiliates, correct?

Corsy

Reaction score
Also, does anyone know about timesharepro or redweekforless sellers on eBay? I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that the second one was problematic but both have 99% positive feedback?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I dunno those two, but I wouldn't rely on e-bay feedback for R/E listings.
If the deal goes South, its usually long after the time for that has expired.
You could ask in the "Selling, Buying..." forum and use the search feature.

If I were buying today, I'd use one of these brokers who specialize in HGVC.
They have stellar reps among the Hilton posters here:
Judy Koz... -- http://judikoz.com/
Seth Nock --- http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/

There are folks here who have joined HGVC thru affiliates and enjoy the flexibility of choosing each year whether to use their week or take the points. If I wanted to visit Marco frequently, I'd buy there to have a guaranteed week. OTOH, many HGVC members never darken the door of their home resort. For those, buying a true HGVC resort makes participation simpler.

To make a true cost-per-point comparison between different TS's, add the cost to buy (include the $399 transfer/activation fee) and MF's for how many years you might own (10 to 20 years?), then divide that amount by the total number of points you'd get.

Last edited:

Corsy

Reaction score
Thanks talent you've been very helpful. Not sure I understood the last paragraph though. I know those 2 brokers are well respected but aren't I going to pay more for going through a broker than buying direct? I think we should do 5000 points at Flamingo but didn't want to spend more than $3000...is that realistic?

icul8rg8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... I think we should do 5000 points at Flamingo but didn't want to spend more than $3000...is that realistic?

I've been researching for a few weeks now, and have found that the average resale price for Flamingo is about $1 per point for annual (more for 4800 and 7000 PLATINUM points because of demand and due to Hilton actually purchasing platinum points, even at the Flamingo and other non-ROFR properties).

For $3000 you may be able to get an every-other-year plan at the Flamingo, or 3500 annual points. Again, from what I've come across the last few weeks, is that private sellers gauge what resalers are selling HGVC points for, and will try to sell for the same $$'s, or beat it by a little bit.

dja1980

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village
I know those 2 brokers are well respected but aren't I going to pay more for going through a broker than buying direct?

Commission is paid by the seller, not the buyer. We bought at Tuscany through Judi based on the recommendations here. If you are looking at purchasing a property with ROFR, you will most likely get the best deal by using a broker because they watch “the line” on a daily basis. Here’s a post from Judi on my thread…

As a Broker we get paid if Hilton exercises their FROR. I try to stay above the FROR price as often as possible. Even though I get paid the Seller is upset because he feels I priced his unit lower than I should have. The Buyer loses the inventory. At this point we can not afford to lose the inventory.
Although I do have LOTS of inventory because I list a lot of Hilton properties for Sellers.
I do not buy and resell.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Thanks talent you've been very helpful. Not sure I understood the last paragraph though. I know those 2 brokers are well respected but aren't I going to pay more for going through a broker than buying direct? I think we should do 5000 points at Flamingo but didn't want to spend more than $3000...is that realistic?

I've purchased both using a broker direct and using eBay.

I've seen two 4,800 point platinum weeks at the Flamingo go for $2,900 and $3,050 on eBay in the past year. Pricing is generally higher in an advertised listing with a broker. Be patient on eBay and you might walk away with a better deal.

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd consider buying resale from Grand Pacific Resorts - they help distressed sellers unload units they don't want or can't afford and you get a good deal and can convert to HGVC as well. I did that with two units and have been very pleased. Maintenance fees for Grand Pacific are reasonable and they hold their value better than affiliates in FL from what I have seen. Good luck.

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know about timesharepro or redweekforless sellers on eBay? I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that the second one was problematic but both have 99% positive feedback?
I believe redweek4less feedback on ebay is a fraud. They keep all of their auctions private, so you can't see the auction details. They could be selling anything and you wouldn't know what it is. A lot of their feedback says, "fast shipping". You only have 60 days to leave feedback. How many timeshares close in 60 days? They took 8 months to close mine and horrible communication! You can't talk to anyone via phone.