• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting Ready to Make My First HGVC Purchase!

dja1980

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village
Hello Tuggers! I’ve been doing A LOT of reading here, and this is my first post!

I’ve been working with Judi K. on purchasing two HGVC resales: one for my wife and me, and one for my parents. My parents were actually down in Orlando a few weeks ago and purchased retail from Par Soleil ($25,990 – 4,800 Annual Platinum, 14,000 Bonus Points). After they told me the details of the program, I got excited to make a purchase myself, and we signed up as a referral through my parents.

When I get excited about something, I start researching. Fortunately, my research eventually led me to Judi, and she was able to help my parents get out of their retail contract. My wife and I did our HGVC presentation last weekend, and we stayed at Tuscany (we LOVED Tuscany). We actually got the pleasure to meet with Judi and her husband the day before our presentation.

Now that we’ve gotten our taste of HGVC, we’re ready to move forward with our resale purchases. We’ve got 2 pending contracts that we will probably put deposits on next week ($12,000 – 7,000 Annual Platinum Tuscany AND $7,500 – 4,800 Annual Platinum Tuscany). From everything I’ve read, it looks like this will be the best we can do with current resale prices. Judi believes we have a 50/50 chance of getting past ROFR.

I think I’ve learned just about everything there is to know regarding the program, MFs, ROFR, etc, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to post what we’re looking to buy. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I would be happy to hear it. Thanks in advance… Dave

Last edited:

phil1ben

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 7000 point package through Judy in March. She knows the HGVC ROFR line as well as anyone. I am sure she gave you the price closest to the line that she thought would pass. No problem if it does not. Just make another offer slightly higher on another unit. There are plenty for sale. Took me three offers (two ROFR exercises) to pass. Judy is trying to cut the best deal for you but she cannot give any guarantees as to whether HGVC will exercise. She did a great job with me. In my opinion spend the extra few bucks and get title insurance. Good Luck.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Excellent !
Fine selection of a broker, by all accounts.
Fine selection of a program, which by now you realize is almost too flexible.
Fine selection of a home resort, as Orlando+Vegas have the lower MF's.
Fine selection of a season, as Plats pay the same MF as anyone in the same size unit, but get more points.

Just remember, points are points, which means the only thing you'd lose by booking a club-resort over you home resort is the 3-month home reservation advantage. Many rarely book their home resort, preferring to vary their travels.

jrc

Reaction score
A 7,000 point Flamingo week 52 just went for $9,500 on eBay. No ROFR there, but many find that owning at a specific resort is worth the slight premium ROFR imposes.

Some also find using a reliable broker is better than some of the eBay sellers.

Judi is a great choice and wonderful at answering questions and presenting options, though I haven't had the pleasure to purchase through her yet. An EOY HHV 4800 that let's me book Christmas is proving elusive.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 7,000 point Flamingo week 52 just went for $9,500 on eBay. No ROFR there, but many find that owning at a specific resort is worth the slight premium ROFR imposes.

Some also find using a reliable broker is better than some of the eBay sellers.

Judi is a great choice and wonderful at answering questions and presenting options, though I haven't had the pleasure to purchase through her yet. An EOY HHV 4800 that let's me book Christmas is proving elusive.

THAT was a good deal, because I believe that was an EVENT week, plus no ROFR at Flamingo.

IMHO

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Outstanding. Welcome to TUGBBS and welcome to HGVC.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Hilton has been very actively buying back units under right of first refusal. I have not been able to get a 7000 point unit past right of first refusal below $10,000 in about 5 months.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hilton has been very actively buying back units under right of first refusal. I have not been able to get a 7000 point unit past right of first refusal below $10,000 in about 5 months.

Seth, is Hilton also buying lower points units, i.e., 3500? If so, what's the threshold for ROFR?

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Hilton is buying most packages. I have had most of my sales in the last 3 weeks bought back. I tend to sell for a lower price than other brokers, but am starting to second guess my sales prices. I have been giving my buyers my best guesses on pricing and ask that they adjust their offers up or down, from my recommendations.

dja1980

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village
Wow... thanks for the great feedback everyone! I'll keep you guys posted on how things progress with the purchase.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paying extra for 7000 points is worth it. If the maintenance fee is the same as 5000 points, and I think it is at most resorts, you will get 40 % more for your money every year. The thing I like about Hilton is the flexibility of getting a two bedroom, one bedroom or a studio and every year we do something different. The extra points are like getting free nights each year.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hiltons FROR

As a Broker we get paid if Hilton exercises their FROR. I try to stay above the FROR price as often as possible. Even though I get paid the Seller is upset because he feels I priced his unit lower than I should have. The Buyer loses the inventory. At this point we can not afford to lose the inventory.
Although I do have LOTS of inventory because I list a lot of Hilton properties for Sellers.
I do not buy and resell.

dja1980

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village
Thanks, Judi... I hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Judi informed us on Friday that both our contracts made it past ROFR... we're getting closer!

dja1980

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village
Closer yet... we closed on our timeshares last week!

Now we're trying to figure out how to use our 2011 points. We are thinking about rolling our 4,800 points to 2012, and reserving a 3-bedroom during our daughter's Spring Break. That way, we can invite my wife's family to vacation with us and give them a taste of HGVC. Ultimately, we like to see them become owners too!

judgerey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Closer yet... we closed on our timeshares last week!

Now we're trying to figure out how to use our 2011 points. We are thinking about rolling our 4,800 points to 2012, and reserving a 3-bedroom during our daughter's Spring Break. That way, we can invite my wife's family to vacation with us and give them a taste of HGVC. Ultimately, we like to see them become owners too!

Great news, but be careful. Once you start with HGVC vacations with extended family, it may be hard to have private ones. :annoyed:

dja1980

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village
lol... good point. We may have to include the disclaimer: "This one's on us, but if you want to go again... BUY YOUR OWN!" :whoopie:

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
What is the impact of an "event week" do you need special status to reserve or more points?

Event weeks are Platinum weeks but tend to be sold as fixed weeks. Club members can book them as if they were any other Platinum week, however they tend to have very limited availability, as owners of those weeks purchased them for a reason. I know I'm never giving up week 52 at Hilton Hawaiian Village.