• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] How Does Florida Club Work?

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I own 2 Platinum weeks @ Marriott Ocean Pointe on Florida's Southeast coast.
Can somebody please explain to me how Florida Club works?

We usually use our 2 weeks at Ocean Pointe. However, we have an upcoming December week (Christmas week, 2011) that we may not be able to use or rent so I am wondering if we could use Florida Club.

I have to decide what to do with this Christmas week in the next few weeks b/c after Oct 22 we will be within 60 days of checkin for that December week. What are our options if we do not use or rent our December week? Florida Club? II?

Smooth Air:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Take a look at this nifty document.

Since the use year you are booking with is a 2011 week, you can only use the FC to book a 2011 week. You are running short on time to deposit the week with II and still have good trade power.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would think II would be your best option if you aren't going to use the week or be able to rent it. I doubt at this point you would be able to reserve a better week through the FC than you already have. Just be sure to deposit before the 60 day mark so you don't end up with a flexchange only deposit.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Dioxide!

My Checkin is Dec 22, 2011...so on or before Oct 22 to deposit w/ II?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a Grande Vista week 51 or 52 would have better trade value since it is a premium time of year there.?.?

Maybe you should call your VOA and have him/her check availability for any check-in date for week 51 or 52 at MGV. You can even have them check 1BR and studio availability.

You can also split your Florida Club week. ... i.e. week 51 studio at Ocean Pointe and week 52 1BR at Grand Vista (even with different check-in days).

Don't forget that check-in days mean nothing to trading value.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a look at this nifty document.

Since the use year you are booking with is a 2011 week, you can only use the FC to book a 2011 week. You are running short on time to deposit the week with II and still have good trade power.

We own an EOY odd at BPT. We see no reason at all for *us* to go thru Florida Club, ever. We lock it off and use it in the odd years, and trade it thru II for the evens. We put in the master suite to trade early this year, and this week - thirteen months ahead - we were sent the confirmation for the 2BR for the 1BR we put in, for 11/2012. No 6 months deadline, and more than we put in. Why would I ever want to use Florida Club, when we bought BPT to use, and if we ever want to go to another Florida property, we will trade for visiting it during our non-use year - and get it far earlier. We even plan on doing this out of our season, and do not care if we pay a little - it is worth it.

Am I missing something? Would not be the first time . . .

Mamianka

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We own an EOY odd at BPT. We see no reason at all for *us* to go thru Florida Club, ever. We lock it off and use it in the odd years, and trade it thru II for the evens. We put in the master suite to trade early this year, and this week - thirteen months ahead - we were sent the confirmation for the 2BR for the 1BR we put in, for 11/2012. No 6 months deadline, and more than we put in. Why would I ever want to use Florida Club, when we bought BPT to use, and if we ever want to go to another Florida property, we will trade for visiting it during our non-use year - and get it far earlier. We even plan on doing this out of our season, and do not care if we pay a little - it is worth it.

Am I missing something? Would not be the first time . . .

Mamianka

The Florida Club doesn't work for everyone. And now with the DC program and no charge for II exchanges, I think it has for the most part made the Florida Club obsolete. The Florida Club saved the exchange fee in the past. Now enrolled owners don't need that freebie.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Florida Club doesn't work for everyone. And now with the DC program and no charge for II exchanges, I think it has for the most part made the Florida Club obsolete. The Florida Club saved the exchange fee in the past. Now enrolled owners don't need that freebie.

Thanks - I thought that this was the case, but wanted The Collected Wisdom to validate my opinion, or tell me the error of my ways.

Mamianka

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Worked for me. I own a Platinum Legends Edge (non-lock off). I was able to get Week 5 in a studio and Week 6 in a 1 bedroom at BeachPlace Towers. I was charged $80 for the transaction. So these are mine to trade, rent or use! I'm a happy camper. I did this 6 months out. FYI, Ocean Pointe was not available. I am not a DC member.

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For me in a few words, it doesn't work. Dioxide is right. For some people it doesn't work because of obsolete rules and options that are not attractive. The six month rule for example. I wonder how many people would pay into the Florida Club if it were optional? If it were optional they would have to provide some real benefits. Right now it's just a revenue stream for Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
For me in a few words, it doesn't work. Dioxide is right. For some people it doesn't work because of obsolete rules and options that are not attractive. The six month rule for example. I wonder how many people would pay into the Florida Club if it were optional? If it were optional they would have to provide some real benefits. Right now it's just a revenue stream for Marriott.

Currently the Florida Club is only $4 more expensive than any other non Florida Club property. I don't mind paying that $4 for the option to be there. Some people get a benefit out of it and some do not. I think the FC best benefits those at the non lock off resorts of Legends Edge and Doral and also to an extend of those owners at Grande Vista.

However, trading in to any of the Florida Club properties using a like for like exchange is very easy at most times of the year. So for those enrolled owners, I think II is still a better option than the Florida Club.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
How to Book Florida Club more than 6 months in Advance

If you own 2 weeks of the same season, you can actually reserve Florida Club weeks 7 months out instead of 6 months. In addition, the weeks you own in the same season don't have to be both in the Florida club.

There is another little trick I have learned and done. If you reserve a Florida Club week at say Ocean Pointe, then call in latter and give them your reservation number. You can request a change of date to a time further than 7 months out. When you do this don't tell them you previously made a Florida Club reservation. Or, don't tell them you made your reservation at Ocean Pointe using for instance a Legends Edge week and booked it through the Florida Club. As I said earlier, just give them the reservation number and tell them you want to change the date. I have done that a couple of times and was able to change my check-in date to 9 months out instead of the 7 months. I don't know if this will continue to work or if I was just fortunate that the customer service agent didn't notice I had a Florida Club reservation. However, it is worth a try.

I use the Florida club all the time because I choose to rent my weeks at Legends Edge and Grande Vista. By using the Florida club I am able to reserve platinum weeks at either Ocean Pointe or Beach Place Towers to rent. Those resorts have a much higher demand then the weeks I own, so it works for me. In addition, I am able to make a profit. If I did an exchange through II, I wouldn't be able to rent out a week at Beach Place or Ocean Pointe.

Last edited:

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own 2 weeks of the same season, you can actually reserve Florida Club weeks 7 months out instead of 6 months. In addition, the weeks you own in the same season don't have to be both in the Florida club.

There is another little trick I have learned and done. If you reserve a Florida Club week at say Ocean Pointe, then call in latter and give them your reservation number. You can request a change of date to a time further than 7 months out. When you do this don't tell them you previously made a Florida Club reservation. Or, don't tell them you made your reservation at Ocean Pointe using for instance a Legends Edge week and booked it through the Florida Club. As I said earlier, just give them the reservation number and tell them you want to change the date. I have done that a couple of times and was able to change my check-in date to 9 months out instead of the 7 months. I don't know if this will continue to work or if I was just fortunate that the customer service agent didn't notice I had a Florida Club reservation. However, it is worth a try.

I use the Florida club all the time because I choose to rent my weeks at Legends Edge and Grande Vista. By using the Florida club I am able to reserve platinum weeks at either Ocean Pointe or Beach Place Towers to rent. Those resorts have a much higher demand then the weeks I own, so it works for me. In addition, I am able to make a profit. If I did an exchange through II, I wouldn't be able to rent out a week at Beach Place or Ocean Pointe.

Saturn, thanks for the tip!
That's very good to know!!

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another perk of the Florida Club according to the reservation guide:

Owners who are not part of the club may change a confirmed reservation by giving notice at least 60 days before check-in date. CLUB OWNERS HAVE NO RESTRICTION ON TIME FRAME IN WHICH TO CANCEL A CONFIRMED RESERVATION. However, there is no guarantee another reservation will be available for the same use year.

There is a fee for each confirmed change.

erm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saturn, thanks for the tip on booking 7 months out. I didn't know that. I own a platinum HH week and a platinum plus LE fixed week. I have used the FC 6 months out to get reservations at Beachplace for 2 years and have been successful in getting a 2 bd March week both times. I lock off and deposit in II and always get great trades. This past year I thought about renting both 1 bd and LO, but was scared off by some of the stories I've read about rentals going bad. Maybe I'll be able to book a good week at Ocean Pointe next year and I'll reconsider trying to LO and rent.....though Beachplace should command a rental as high as OP. I have nothing but good things to say about the Florida Club. It works great for me.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read Dioxide's document on the Florida Club and wondering how it may benefit me. We own a 2 BR lock off at Grande Vista; Gold Season. I lock it off every year since 2007, deposit it into II and trade for two weeks. Only once did I not get an upgraded trade, that was in Aruba in July. Otherwise I always trade up. We have gone to Grande Vista once and then I exchanged for a bigger unit. We went to Ocean Pointe once and again, I traded up thru II.

I typically use the 59 day reserve as we never know our schedules, being self employed and no paid vacation!! So that works for us. A few times I've requested and got Hawaii (Waiohai) and twice we got the Hyatt Carmel.

So am I missing something?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read Dioxide's document on the Florida Club and wondering how it may benefit me. We own a 2 BR lock off at Grande Vista; Gold Season. I lock it off every year since 2007, deposit it into II and trade for two weeks. Only once did I not get an upgraded trade, that was in Aruba in July. Otherwise I always trade up. We have gone to Grande Vista once and then I exchanged for a bigger unit. We went to Ocean Pointe once and again, I traded up thru II.

I typically use the 59 day reserve as we never know our schedules, being self employed and no paid vacation!! So that works for us. A few times I've requested and got Hawaii (Waiohai) and twice we got the Hyatt Carmel.

So am I missing something?

You aren't missing anything. The FC is better utilized for owner occupied or renting out. For example Ocean Pointe and Beach Place rent for a higher amount than Grande Vista while Grande Vista's fees are lower. Also, owner occupied has better unit placement priority than II exchanges. An uptrade exchange into Ocean Pointe for Feb/Mar is never going to happen in a million years, especially a 3BR Ocean Front. But a Grande Vista Platinum Owner might be able to secure an owner reservation with the FC.

If you are always locking off and exchanging into places that are readily available, it probably holds no benefit.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would agree. If you are exchanging, II is probably better. You lose a lot of trade power by reserving and depositing 6-7 months out. So I think reserving and depositing is better for trading than the Florida Club.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I am reviving an old thread. I am told that the Florida Club now costs $45 more per year in MF for Grand Vista 2BR Platinum week. This number was given to me this week when we were looking at 2 Grand Vista Platinum weeks, one with and one without. The difference in resale cost was $500. Since we are using the week for enrolled points purposes, the cheaper week and $45 less in MF make sense. I am also thinking ahead that if one day we should resell that week, which week will be easier to sell? Thanks! I continue to learn so much from this forum.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I am reviving an old thread. I am told that the Florida Club now costs $45 more per year in MF for Grand Vista 2BR Platinum week. This number was given to me this week when we were looking at 2 Grand Vista Platinum weeks, one with and one without. The difference in resale cost was $500. Since we are using the week for enrolled points purposes, the cheaper week and $45 less in MF make sense. I am also thinking ahead that if one day we should resell that week, which week will be easier to sell? Thanks! I continue to learn so much from this forum.

As for resale it is my belief that likely more than 75% of the buyers out there know nothing about "The Florida Club" so I don't think it's an issue for resale purposes.

On the other hand, it is a perk, and if used correctly can be very beneficial. I own at Ocean Pointe. I wanted a week at Oceana Palms, but because of the Interval International geographic trade restrictions I could not trade from Ocean Pointe to Oceana Palms.

Now, bring in the Florida Club to get to Oceana Palms; I used the Florida Club to reserve at BeachPlace Tower and then deposited that into Interval International. Once that was deposited I then requested a trade to Oceana Palms and got my exchange easily.

So, used correctly it is a way to get to the piece of cheese.........

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As for resale it is my belief that likely more than 75% of the buyers out there know nothing about "The Florida Club" so I don't think it's an issue for resale purposes.

On the other hand, it is a perk, and if used correctly can be very beneficial. I own at Ocean Pointe. I wanted a week at Oceana Palms, but because of the Interval International geographic trade restrictions I could not trade from Ocean Pointe to Oceana Palms.

Now, bring in the Florida Club to get to Oceana Palms; I used the Florida Club to reserve at BeachPlace Tower and then deposited that into Interval International. Once that was deposited I then requested a trade to Oceana Palms and got my exchange easily.

So, used correctly it is a way to get to the piece of cheese.........

Thank you.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure the difference is $45. You can't really rely on the information that a seller may provide as to how much the MFs are. You need to actually look at the operating budget. All owners at all properties pay an "Owner Services Fee". This fee in 2017 was $41.11. Owners in the Florida Club also pay a "Club Fee" of $4. These two fees are separate on the Operating Budget. However, when they send out the MF bills, they list the two fees combined as one total as "Florida Club Fee" in the amount of $45.11. Grande Vista Owners not in the Florida Club or those at resorts outside of the Club may not even see this fee listed separately on their bill, it is baked in to the "Operating Fee".