• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] Marriott (Resale) Closing Process (?)

tango4u

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope everyone had a great holiday season.
Anyway, I have few questions regarding the closing process steps with Marriott timeshare.
I received this message from my closing agent and I wonder if it sounds right. Should they start working on the deed first before sending the letter to Marriott for their Right of First Refusal?
Here is the copy of her email:
"I will be the closing agent assisting you with this purchase. I wanted to let you know that I will be sending in the Right of First Refusal to Marriott. Once received, they have 30 days by law to respond to us. After we have received a copy of the original recorded deed back from the county recorder’s office, and the waiver from Marriott, we will begin preparing the new deed, to transfer the property into your name at the county level. This takes an average of 4-6 weeks once the county recorder receives the documents. The next and final step would be to receive the recorded deed back from the recorder, and forward a copy of it to the resort. With your particular resort Marriott it is taking an average of 6-8 weeks for them to complete the transfer of ownership. At this point, once the transfer is confirmed, Marriott will send you out a welcome package, giving you your new account number, and other valuable information. I would also like to ask how you would like to take title on the deed."

What do you think? Is it the correct way? For some reasons, I think it is a bit odd... Any advise/comments that I should ask the agent?
Thanks!!!
MN

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is correct.

If the closing company sent over a waiver of ROFR form, sign it and fax it back to them. That will give them permission to submit to Marriott.

When the closing company heres back from Marriott (up to 30 days but probably only a week), they will begin the paperwork transferring title (about 30 days). After that is complete the closing company will send the revised deed of to the county corthouse.

Then when the closing company gets the recorded deed back from the county (about 2-3 weeks) they will send it to Marriott for a name change in Marriott's system (about 45 days).

This is IF everything goes as planned! Lot and lots of days.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I will be sending in the Right of First Refusal to Marriott. Once received, they have 30 days by law to respond to us
Although, Marriott has 30 day to act on the ROFR, they are generally taking only a few days.
we will begin preparing the new deed, to transfer the property into your name at the county level. This takes an average of 4-6 weeks once the county recorder receives the documents.
Generally this takes a couple of week, for them to prepare the deed and less than a week for the county to record it.
With your particular resort Marriott it is taking an average of 6-8 weeks for them to complete the transfer of ownership.
Yes, Marriott is taking 6-8 week or more, to complete the transfer.

Sound like everything is on the up & up.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Read every post in this thread.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84198

Be sure your closing agent gets all the ID info that Marriott will need. Also, tell them you want to know every step of the way what they have done. Don't expect your owner #until late May or so (and plan accordingly reserving weeks etc. through prior owner) and you will be happy with the results.

tango4u

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I felt a bit better now knowing that my closing agent did the right thing (yes, she seems a bit slow).
I will check in with my agent often and will do per your recommendation!
Thanks again!!
MN
P.S: By the way, it is Marriott Kauai Beach Club. Also, my agent never asked for DL or SS#... Do I need to supply these "sensitive" information?

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
P.S: By the way, it is Marriott Kauai Beach Club. Also, my agent never asked for DL or SS#... Do I need to supply these "sensitive" information?
Some people have said they didn't have to. (I am not sure if they had a prior relationship with Marriott, ie. owner.) I was expressly told by a manager at Marriott (and confirmed) that they would not finalize my ownership without it due to the USA Patriot Act. Read about it here:http://www.hklaw.com/id24660/PublicationId2207/ReturnId31/contentid49430/

If you have concerns, tell your closing co that you want to send it directly to Marriott and get a fax # for them. I wouldn't wait till the end on this.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Have people been finding recently that Marirott is completing the transfer process in 6-8 weeks once they have everything needed? I know a month or two ago some people were having real issues getting the transfers completed and I was wondering if that has eased recently.

And, yes, Marriott is requiring ID info. for everyone on the title.

TSman

Reaction score
My closing company told me they sent the deed to the Riverside county mid-december. At this time, I still don't have my deed recorded. Hopefully the holiday pushes them behind.

TUG Member
Reaction score
i closed on my marriott Desert springs # resale on October 4,2008
I am still not in the marriott Vacation club system to make reservations,etc
The estimated is Feb 1,2009
pls allow at least 4 months from closing before you get recognized by MVC

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My closing company told me they sent the deed to the Riverside county mid-december. At this time, I still don't have my deed recorded. Hopefully the holiday pushes them behind.

Three weeks after my deed was sent to the county, I still had no clue as to whether or not it was recorded until one day I decided to call Marriott. They told me that they had just received it and would be working on it.

TSman

Reaction score
I check the Riverside county website to check whether my deed is recorded every day, but I have no luck yet! I hope the deed was indeed sent to the county!

toocherie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why it would take so long for the county recorder to record. Generally a title company can get it recorded the same or next day. It may take a few weeks to show up on the county records, but it should be recorded right away. Are you talking about Riverside county, California?

TSman

Reaction score
Yes, it is Riverside county, Ca. I also try to talk to them about the issue. However, they claim the holiday delay the process. I should check back in about a week!

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
Can you tell me how to check on their website?

TSman,

I also purchased last fall at DSVII. The seller (wantedweeks) booked a week for me in the fall already. However, I would really like to see when it records at the county. Can you please tell me where to look on the Riverside County website? I've been looking here

http://www.treasurer-tax.co.riverside.ca.us/index.html

Thank you.

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have sold several Marriott properties over the years and as of late, the final transfer (after closing) will take a long time.

I would not support that it would take 4-6 weeks to get a new deed; however, I know that when I work with buyers, I give extra time for any bumps in the road. Under promise and over deliver. Still, I would not quote 4-6 weeks on the deed.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Most of the time, the county will record the deed in just a few days (to a week) after receiving them. BUT the company doing the closing always blames the county for the slow deed recording process. This is almost never true. Most all the time the delay in getting a deed recorded is the company preparing the deed not the county.

TS man said:
Yes, it is Riverside county, Ca. I also try to talk to them about the issue. However, they claim the holiday delay the process. I should check back in about a week!
Call and ask a more general question. How long after you receive a deed is it taking for you tto get them recored? I bet they will say less than a week. I had this problem a year ago and found that the title company had never sent the deed to be recorded. Even though the title company said that the county has several weeks of backed up deeds, the county said they had everything recorded within 2 days of receiving them.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Most of the time, the county will record the deed in just a few days (to a week) after receiving them. BUT the company doing the closing always blames the county for the slow deed recording process. This is almost never true. Most all the time the delay in getting a deed recorded is the company preparing the deed not the county.

Call and ask a more general question. How long after you receive a deed is it taking for you tto get them recored? I bet they will say less than a week. I had this problem a year ago and found that the title company had never sent the deed to be recorded. Even though the title company said that the county has several weeks of backed up deeds, the county said they had everything recorded within 2 days of receiving them.

This is completely accurate. Out of state "closing" (what ever that means) companies have no clue about recording in CA, and won't pay a few bucks for a local co to get them recorded. First they claim they have sent the deed to the recorder (when they really haven't yet.) Then they send it via regular US Mail but still will be recorded within a few days of receipt.

If they were local (or hired a local company for a few bucks) it would be recorded the same (or next day). In either case, any claim that CO. of Riverside takes weeks to record is completely false.

Most likely when you get deed you will see it wasn't even signed when they claim it had been sent. These "closing" companies intentionally don't use a tracked method of mailing for anything as this would give you a paper trail as to when things were mailed.

Good luck.

TSman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will call the closing company this Friday and question them when did they send the deed since it is about six weeks from the time I close the timeshare!

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Thanks for the advice. I will call the closing company this Friday and question them when did they send the deed since it is about six weeks from the time I close the timeshare!

I just checked the timeline I put together when I purchased a ShadowRidge unit last year which is located in Riverside Co.

3/22/08 -- Mailed closing documents and check for purchase to closing company, they in turn were sending the deed to Riverside Co. for recording

4/22/08 -- I checked on the Riverside Co. website and saw that the new deed had been recorded on 4/14/08.

4/25/08 -- Received original deed in the mail from Riverside Co.

So I agree with the others in this thread, in most cases it is the closing company that is slow with their part of the work (not that they will admit that). Riverside Co. is pretty quick once they get the deed.

Teton17

Reaction score
Just completed the purchase of a unit at Heritage Club on Hilton Head. The whole process from acceptance of my offer by the seller, closing, recording of deed and transfer of ownship on Marriott's records took about 3 months. Marriott completed the ownership transfer process yesterday (1/21) and my offer was accepted by the seller on October 14. I'd agree with others in this post that it really depends on how quickly the closing company executes its responsibilities.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
I am have almost completed the purchase of OceanWatch. I spoke to someone at Marriott yesterday and was told they received my paperwork on January 6th. She told me I should hear from Marriott around the middle of February. I won the auction on ebay at the end of Nov. It will about three months until the whole process is complete.

Tango4u - We must have the closing company because the wording on my email from them is exactly what you quoted in the original post.

iamnotshopgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I closed on my Sabal Palms villa in mid December. Marriott received the transfer of ownership paperwork on December 26. I emailed owner modifications a couple of days ago and owner modifications acknowledged that they were in receipt of the paperwork as of the above date and that it would take 4-6 weeks to process. I notified them also that MF's for 2009 were due and that my intent was to pay them when the unit is posted to "my resorts" online at the MVCI site. I found everything went smoothly with the closing & deed in a timely manor. Only holdup is Marriott in the process...go figure.:doh:

bob

Coming Trips: Alaska Cruise Tour May 09 Ryndam
Aruba Surf Club July 3-10
Marriott Sabal Palms December 6-13

tango

TUG Member
Reaction score
We agreed to buy at Ko Olina 11/17/08.
Marriott waived the ROFR on 11/20/08
The next step was to obtain a copy of the recorded deed from the seller and a signed consent to transfer. This was not achieved until 12/23/08, due to the seller obtaining the wrong document from Hawaii (apparently she got a copy of the mortgage, rather than the deed).
We had to submit our signatures on the transfer, then the closing agent ordered estoppels from Marriott. It took until Jan 5 before we were able to review these.
The next step after this was to submit the deed to the county for recording. Our agent said that Hawaii was taking up to 6 weeks to record at this time.
So that is where we stand right now, waiting for recording.
Our closing agent has been forthright about her steps, and when something has been within her control, it has happened right away. As evidenced by the prompt completion of the ROFR and estoppels, so I don't think that she is dallying on the recording.
Anyway, that's our experience, still have to go through the MVCI transfer of ownership ordeal.

Last edited: