• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] Marriott (Resale) Closing Process (?)

Dewnay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I emailed owner modifications a couple of days ago and owner modifications acknowledged that they were in receipt of the paperwork as of the above date and that it would take 4-6 weeks to process.

Bob,

What is the email address for Owner Modifications?

Thanks!

D.

TSman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will call the closing company this Friday and question them when did they send the deed since it is about six weeks from the time I close the timeshare!

Check the Riverside county web-site. The deed was recorder on 1/14/09. It took about a month to get the deed recorded. Now I need to wait the closing company to send the deed to Marriott to recognize me as the owner. Hopefully, by springbreak, I can join the II to start my exchange!

tango4u

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your inputs/advises/comments etc...
Today I received an email from my agent that she has received the waiver from Marriott and she is preparing the new deed to go to recording.
Here is a quick snap shot of my first Marriott TS closing process:
Jan 18 - Agreed to buy the TS, signed the contract etc
Jan 20 - Received email from closing agent/sent out the notice to Marriott for the waiver
Jan 23 - Received the waiver from Marriott -- Agent said she is preparing the new deed and will send out for recording soon
I hope this one will be smooth and close soon...
My closing agent seems quick in action, only one concern... I kept asking her about the new ID requirement from Marriott but my agent ignored and not to answer my question (Perhaps she did not know????)...
Anyway, TGIF, have great weekend everyone!!
MN

iamnotshopgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update folks

Received a letter from owner modifications today confirming the ownership change. Took about 4 weeks. Owner modifications issued me a new owner number and Sabal did not show up online in "my resorts". I called owner modifications and asked that they put Sabal Palms under my original owners number. Not a problem they will send out a form and all I have to do is sign it. Too easy...got to be something wrong! Sure enough the telephone rings 5 minutes later and it is the MVCI guy I previously talked to. The deed information does not match up. I told him that it is the same information that owner modifications sent in the mail so obviously there is an error someplace. He told me that the information in the computer he was looking at was wrong. An entry problem? Asked if I could fax a copy of the deed so he could check it out for me which I did. Still waiting for the reply. But he told me that just by sending in the form to owner modifications would add on 30 more days. Now with the glitch it may take longer. Bottom line I am not paying the MF's on the Unit until it appears under my original owners number and online at the MVCI site.

bob

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Bob-
When you sent in your paperwork did you furnish them with your original owner number? I was wondering if you had done so if it would pay for those with transfers pending to reiterate a request that the original owner number(s) be retained.

In actuality, shouldn't the seller have taken care of the MF's by now and you would be responsible for reimbursing him/her? I thought the MF's were due when they were due regardless of whether the unit was in the process of being transferred or not.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update folks
Received a letter from owner modifications today confirming the ownership change. Took about 4 weeks. .....
bob

Really only about four weeks from the time the closing co. sent the transfer papers to Marriott, until you received your letter from Marriott?

That's sounding better!!!

iamnotshopgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I closed on the unit and the owner paid all 2008 MF's and I was to pay for MF's starting in 2009. The deed was transfered and recorded on November 24, 2008 which gave Marriott about 6 weeks to process. My closing company sent everthing to Marriott in a timely manor. You would think that this would be enough time and the 2009 MF's were not due until January 15. In the paperwork sent in by my closing company to Owner Modifications I furnished my owner number. I know they got the right number because I filled it out and the closing company sent me a copy of what they sent to Owner Modifications. The MVCI rep just called me back after receiving my deed information (I fax it to him). He sent a copy to MVCI Florida to make the computer correction. This he told me would take 30-45 days to correct THEIR error. He is sending out the form to me to put all my resorts under my original owner number. But it gets better now...before I can send back the signed form I have to wait until the first week in March to call him back to make sure that the "deed is in my name in their internal system". Keep in mind that in todays mail from Owner Modifications all the information is correct:doh: Once he gives me the OK I have to send the form back to him and he will process it which will take 30 days more. Owner Modifications acknowledged that they got the paperwork on December 26 and I got notified today that it went through and they recognized my ownership. So between November 24-Dec 26 it took 4 weeks to go from deed recording...back to the closing company....to Owner Modifications which took another 4 weeks to process. He also told me that I could do nothing with the unit ie. make reservations, exchange until the issue is resolved. I told him politely that until Marriott resolves the computer glitch I am not paying the MF's. He understood my position. So I'm looking at April hopefully it will be sooner.

bob

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bob- wow, what a story! After reading your predicament I thought it would be a good move to e-mail owner modifications and underscore my desire to keep my original owner number and link the ownerships. Hopefully, that will prevent having to go through at least some of what you are.

In your case- are there late fees or other penalties associated with late payment of the MF's? I would be concerned that if the account is delinquent that they might delay transferring it. It might be something worth verifying, preferably with an e-mail trail rather than just someone verbally "understanding" your position. Don't get me wrong- I don't disagree with you, but the neurotic side of me likes to cover all contingencies.

iamnotshopgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I will take your advice an email owner services. At this point it will not hurt to try. But my thinking is since I can not trade or exchange the unit will they accept the MF's on it from me? Hey I don't want to be responsible for screwing up their system:D

bob

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think I will take your advice an email owner services. At this point it will not hurt to try. But my thinking is since I can not trade or exchange the unit will they accept the MF's on it from me? Hey I don't want to be responsible for screwing up their system:D

bob
Haha...
Technically, I guess you can't pay the MF's- but the question is if they are considered delinquent will they complete the transfer process? Sticky issue at this time of year I guess and I would assume they have a policy for dealing with this issue. I know that many Ebay ads even in Dec. required the 2009 MF's be pre-paid by the buyer as part of the closing process so the seller could pay them.

I know that since I too have a unit in limbo my seller paid the fees a few weeks ago and I enclosed the MF as part of the final payment.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Website Process

I just called Owner Services today to see if Marriott completed the transfer on two resale units I recently purchased (these are my first Marriotts). Apparently they did recognize the ownership (it's only been 10 days since they got the closing info). So we went ahead and changed the 2010 reservations to my name including adding the Marriott rewards account to the reservations. I also gave them my email address, since they didn't have it.

After obtaining an account number I created an online account. I then got a temporary password via email, logged in and changed it. So far it seemed to be smooth. However, when I tried to log in again later the system didn't recognize me. I get the following message:

Web site Inaccessible
My-VacationClub.com offers an array of services to Marriott Vacation Club and Horizons by Marriott Owners.
To use this Web site, you must have at least one active ownership week associated with your user account.

I thought that maybe I forgot my password, but when I try that route I get the following message:

We have attempted to send this message but no e-mail address was found for you on file. If you have recently contacted Owner Services to provide or update your email address, it may take up to two weeks for that new email address to be recognized with this process.
Please contact Owner Services at 1-800-690-9279 for assistance.

I called owner services again and they say that it's normal and it may take 2 weeks for systems to update...

I'm not in a hurry to do anything on the website but is this really how it works or did something possibly go wrong?

Is this normal?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DanCali-
A couple of years ago when I first joined the site I had the same issue. They also told me about 2 weeks. If I remember correctly (it's been a few years) it took about a week after I called, but it might have been a little longer.

It will also take about a week for II to add the units to your account if you choose to do so, since they have to verify your ownership.

Congrats- where did you buy?

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
A deed transfer ownership of the property and is what gets recorded. Why would they start working on the deed before they are sure of who the new owner will be. If Marriott decides to exercise their ROFR then Marriott is purchasing the property and they will be the owner so why would they prepare a deed transferring the property before they are assured that the sale will go through? Nothing strange about this at all. It is the correct way to proceed.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
DanCali-
A couple of years ago when I first joined the site I had the same issue. They also told me about 2 weeks. If I remember correctly (it's been a few years) it took about a week after I called, but it might have been a little longer.

It will also take about a week for II to add the units to your account if you choose to do so, since they have to verify your ownership.

Congrats- where did you buy?

Thanks - this is helpful. I bought at NCV and closed in one escrow. Seems a bit odd that it takes 2 weeks for "computers to communicate and update info" (that's what they told me) but I guess it's a think I only need to worry about once. Maybe if I waited for the "welcome package" instead of calling things would have been smoother?

hotwings

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Owner Modifications is just awful. They certainly aren't customer focused. I recently had bought a resale from a private owner and Marriott had issues with the deed. We sent in the additional info as requested and they took weeks to process. Well in fact, they are still processing it. As a Marriott timeshare owner, I'm totally disgusted with them.

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Second the statement about owner modifications issue. When you purchase resale and you intend to trade the newly purchased unit, it is critical that the unit be registered in a timely fashion. It's especially true if you have usage during the year of purchase.

Since I.I. won't recognize your ownership until getting clearance from Marriott, resale purchasers are in limbo until Marriott gets around to recognizing you as a legitimate owner. In the meantime it is impossible to trade the unit through I.I. because Marriott won't let you reserve a week to trade. Sometimes they won't even recognize the former owner if they are aware that the unit has been sold.

The only way to get something done is to call Marriott and beg for mercy. Another way is to never buy resale in the same year the usage starts. If the usage starts the following year you will have more time for the registration process to play out and you should pay a lower price for the timeshare unit.

Marriott claims that the registration process takes only three weeks. That's three weeks from the time that they say they received a complete set of acceptable documents. I have found them to be quick to blame others for the delay. "It's the state or it's the escrow company or it's the post office" etc, etc, etc.

It is indeed unfortunate that this whole mess happens to new buyers but it is what it is. Could this be another fiendish plan to punish resale buyers? I don't think so, but there is enough paranoia among resale buyers to keep the topic alive on TUG.