• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Southcape Resort

Sou13

Reaction score
It's worth a question to Cliff when the next meeting will take place, again, they have to notify the owners.

Huh? When have they ever notified the owners?

Are you referring to the next Board meeting or the annual meeting?

Thank you for posting, Russ45! Were the actions of the Board legal?

It is my belief that we Interval owners have the right to expand the size of the Board up to 9, and to elect members from among ourselves. (Scroll down the sidebar pages of the Master Deed to p. 26)

I don't agree with the Board's right to decide what capital improvements need to be done and to hand us the bill. Upgrading units when they are supposed to be available for occupancy is a violation of the owners' rights.

Gizmosis

Reaction score
I am new to this web site as a member, but have been following. My wife and I have been visited by Outfield Mkt. and refused to convert to Festiva Points. I'm glad I ran across these postings before they visited. You all have been working very hard.
We have been owners at Southcape since 1982 and have never had to deal with an assessment like this.
I do understand the need for updating, but I don't understand why everything has to be done at once. Seems repairs have been spread over time before.
Is everyone paying the assessment before April?
We have never attended an owners meeting, but one of us , if not both, will be there this year.
Don't have a lot of resources or time, but would like to help when and if I can.
Still trying to catch up and learn the ins and outs of this site, but will visit site when I can.

Sanford

Reaction score
Rebecca

Rebecca seems to have disappeared.
I triued emailing her at teh address she listed, and then found her name and the law firm she was with and emailed her there as well.

I have had no answer to any emails....

Rebecca where are you?

Hope there really is a Rebecca and it wasn't a ploy of some of the hostile takeover folks et.el....

Russ45

Reaction score
Huh? When have they ever notified the owners?

Are you referring to the next Board meeting or the annual meeting?

Thank you for posting, Russ45! Were the actions of the Board legal?

It is my belief that we Interval owners have the right to expand the size of the Board up to 9, and to elect members from among ourselves. (Scroll down the sidebar pages of the Master Deed to p. 26)

I don't agree with the Board's right to decide what capital improvements need to be done and to hand us the bill. Upgrading units when they are supposed to be available for occupancy is a violation of the owners' rights.
If you look at my post from March 9, my interpretation of the by-laws is that they need to notify all deeded unit owners prior to a special board meeting or scheduled board meeting. The meeting minutes I posted indicated that they were going to have another board meeting late March/early april which is not the annual owner's meeting. We should request to participate since they are not sending notices. This may be nothing more than a teleconference call. Also in my March 9 post I note that I think they were supposed to have a vote by all deeded owners for capital improvemts over $10,000, which didn't happen obviously.

Sanford

Reaction score
So these questions loom:
1) How do we determine how many deeded owners we have access to to communicate with.
2) What can we do as an organized effort of same to get some answers
3) Did the weeks purchased by NEVS et.al. pay their $ 400.00 special assessment?

Sou13

Reaction score
I am new to this web site as a member, but have been following. My wife and I have been visited by Outfield Mkt. and refused to convert to Festiva Points. I'm glad I ran across these postings before they visited. You all have been working very hard.
We have been owners at Southcape since 1982 and have never had to deal with an assessment like this.
I do understand the need for updating, but I don't understand why everything has to be done at once. Seems repairs have been spread over time before.
Is everyone paying the assessment before April?
We have never attended an owners meeting, but one of us , if not both, will be there this year.
Don't have a lot of resources or time, but would like to help when and if I can.
Still trying to catch up and learn the ins and outs of this site, but will visit site when I can.

Welcome, Gizmosis! I'm glad you learned enough from this discussion to not let Outfield Marketing scare you into "converting" to Festiva "points"!

You might also benefit from the
"Festiva Adventure Club"
discussion which Festiva has found important or threatening enough to refer to FestivaRep.

I've been busy trying to locate other Southcape owners before it's too late. We need to organize ASAP!

Sou13

Reaction score
Owners' Group on another forum

I've joined another forum and started a Southcape Owners group at http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/groups/southcape-resort.html in an attempt to locate Southcape owners. I've found less than a dozen but at this very moment one of them is at Southcape and I hope will come back with some news about how to get access to the owners' addresses.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Cliff Hagberg. Are there 1800 deeded Interval owners? What about those who have converted to points? Does Festiva pay Southcape $593.88 for every Southcape owner who converted to points?

Russ45 I can't thank you enough for all you've done. Good work!

Sou13

Reaction score
Still not 51%

Still wondering whether the MF for 2009 includes the "reserve" I divided it by $593.88 and got 1648 which still doesn't give NEVS 51% of the weeks.

Still searching for Southcape owners, I may have found another one here on TUG. And I'm still studying the Master Deed and trying to figure out how to stop the management from collecting $400 apiece for upgrades we don't need at the present moment. I don't intend to pay if we can find a way to challenge the Board. Even the septic system may not be in as dire straits as presented here.

Again and again the "Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions" indicates that construction etc. must not interfere with unit owners use of weeks.

Sanford

Reaction score
Where is Rebecca

Where is Rebecca? Was she for real or ...........?

I hope the former and perhaps away on vacation

Sou13

Reaction score
Another Southcape owner found

Still wondering whether the MF for 2009 includes the "reserve" I divided it by $593.88 and got 1648 which still doesn't give NEVS 51% of the weeks.

Still searching for Southcape owners, I may have found another one here on TUG. And I'm still studying the Master Deed and trying to figure out how to stop the management from collecting $400 apiece for upgrades we don't need at the present moment. I don't intend to pay if we can find a way to challenge the Board. Even the septic system may not be in as dire straits as presented here.

Again and again the "Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions" indicates that construction etc. must not interfere with unit owners use of weeks.

I contacted two Southcape owners whom I found in my online search yesterday and one of them replied, but as yet I don't know whether it was the TUG member or the Yahoo! Groups member who is still a Southcape owner. If it was the TUG member I hope to see a post here soon.

I've been trying to determine for certain what our rights as deeded Interval owners are. Here are some of my thoughts to date:

In the case of Southcape, I'm coming to the conclusion, from studying the Master Deed, that Southcape owners have had a laissez-faire attitude so long as the maintenance fees weren't going up precipitously and supposed that what we didn't know couldn't hurt us.

Well, what we didn't know has hurt us. We didn't even know our rights!

If my reading of the Master Deed is correct, we have the right to elect one member to the Board of Trustees to replace one of the current Trustees, because there should be one member representing the Unit owners. We have the right to be notified of the meeting dates and times either six or 21 days in advance of the annual meeting (In this case I propose that it should be 21 days because the next meeting date was not set in the uncirculated minutes of the 2008 meeting and the date specified in the Master Deed is July 31). We have the right to expect to receive copies of the annual reports at the end of the fiscal year instead of having to go to unannounced annual meetings to hear these reports. We have the right to object to these reports, because silence means consent.

It is also my belief that the notices to go out to all owners should include the agenda as set up in the Bylaws. New business should be itemized on the agenda, including who is running for what. Unless I'm reading it wrong, there should be an election at every meeting!*

We may also have the right to object to the "Special Assessment" in whole or in part. I particularly object to the $450,000 for Interior renovations: Replacement of furniture carpeting & painting in Condo I (Units 1-24). I stayed in Unit 8 in late November 2008 and see no need for this. The reason refurbishing has been done piecemeal is that this work is supposed to be done as needed during the annual maintenance week so as not to interfere with owners' rights to the use of the Unit and time specified in their reservation letters.

When I asked for an extension of the deadline for anteing up the $400 I was offered a payment plan. This is mandated in the Master Deed. But I didn't ask what the terms of the plan are. IMVHO we should not have to pay interest on payments made in this way so long as they are made on time. The Trustees are supposed to be investing this money until it is being doled out to contractors, etc. Some of these expenses have already been undertaken without our knowledge or consent, if we had any right whatsoever to object.

*See "Agenda" on p. 23 of Bylaws on page 041 (Book 3526) which is found by scrolling down the pp. sidebar to p. 45

Last edited:

Sanford

Reaction score
I paid my $ 400.00 for my 3 weeks and my friend paid his for 1 week.
We have a block of 4 weeks fixed that can be used in your voting efforts.

Sou13

Reaction score
Is your friend counted among us?

I paid my $ 400.00 for my 3 weeks and my friend paid his for 1 week.
We have a block of 4 weeks fixed that can be used in your voting efforts.

Has your friend been posting here? If not, would he be interested in those FAC documents I've been offering as email attachments?

Have you or your friend been visited by Outfield Marketing? I'm interested in finding out what kind of offer is being made for weeks other than "green" . . . do "red" weeks get offered at least twice as many points as "green" but is the conversion fee still $3185? What is the MF for "red" weeks which is supposedly less than the MF at Southcape?

Have you noticed that FestivaRep hasn't answered my question about the Southcape Board members?

Scott_Ru

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been keeping up, and we have 3 deeded weeks at Southcape. My wife will be at the upcoming Board Meeting to represent us.

Thanks for all your work on our behalf.

w.bob

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been keeping up, and we have 3 deeded weeks at Southcape. My wife will be at the upcoming Board Meeting to represent us.

Thanks for all your work on our behalf.

I too have been trying to keep up with what is happening. I will also try to be at the May meeting.

I have yet to pay the special assessment of $400.00. Has anyone paid and is there a pro or con to paying?

Sou13

Reaction score
Town of Mashpee acquires Condo III and the parking lot

http://www.assessedvalues.com/search.zhtml?jurcode=172
Enter "950" in Loc1 and "Falmouth" in "Location"
6996 94 7 0 E MASHPEE TOWN OF 950 FALMOUTH RD 9030 21576 153 $2,716,700.00

TRANSFER HISTORY:
MASHPEE TOWN OF: 12/04/2006
MASHPEE TOWN OF: 07/11/2001
FIRST AMERICAN BANK FOR: 12/07/1989

I've been taking another look at the Mashpee records since discovering that the Town of Mashpee owns what was supposed to be Condo III. It appears that the Town of Mashpee became co-owners of 950 Falmouth Road subsequent to the arrival of Barth and Woods in the fall of 1989.

I recall talk of mismanagement but never learned the details. However, it was the management under Barth and Woods that was definitely responsible for the loss of two of the three parcels.

Every time property changes hands the government gets involved. That's how it was discovered that the septic system needs work. These are all part of the necessary upkeep of an estate.

I'm not advocating completely turning over control and management of Southcape Resort to the Interval owners because we are too scattered and busy to be able to manage it better. What I'm campaigning for here is owner involvement in what we should regard to be our sacred rights and duties. I'm guilty of burying my head in the sand for nearly a quarter of a century! That's a long time to expect everything to remain the same!

I hope I haven't alienated Cliff Hagberg and the staff at Southcape by posting what I've posted here. I hope that they are looking out for Southcape FIRST, and if not, then they owe us an explanation and apology.

Fig

Reaction score
Info that may or may not be helpful

Don’t know if any of this info is helpful, but I thought I would pass it along. Stumbled across your posts when I was researching buying at another property where Outfield has been hired.

Trustees of Southcape in a recent post were named as Clifford Hagberg, Steven Lamantia and Thomas C. Franks. People seem to know who Cliff is, but I found some info on Thomas and Stephen that might be of interest if it has not already been mentioned.

It appears Thomas might be the President of Outfield Marketing. Little aside…there was a Frank Thomas who played for Pittsburg as an outfielder in the 50s and 60s…hence the name of his company? Anyway, here is the link that lists him as Pres.

http://www.resorttrades.com/articles.php?showMag=Resort&act=view&id=233

Also found this on a Stephen Lamantia who was trying to make the same pitch of selling an owner points for a timeshare they already owned in Branson (he gets around?) but was asked to “please leave” the owner's home.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...tiva_Outfield_Marketing-Branson_Missouri.html

Scratching my head and wondering, does anybody think, in the age of the internet, that you can have hundreds of private meetings in peoples homes with the same exact pitch? The “private” meeting is then posted on the internet, over and over again. I have seen such detailed reports from multiple sources on these private meetings in peoples’ homes that I could probably make the presentation myself.

Wishing you well Southcape...sounds like its made a lot of people happy over the years.

wmauryd

TUG Member
Reaction score
timeshare marketing in recession

It's not directly related to Southcape but you may be interested in reading about the $80k in unpaid vouchers, awarded by a Cape Cod timeshare marketing company, today on http://www.capecodonline.com/

How are sales going at Southcape anyone? Are promotional meal vouchers being awarded for tours?

Sou13

Reaction score
Found by joining the Yahoo! group

I had to be accepted as a member of this Equivest-PeppertreeOwners Yahoo! group even though I am a Southcape Resort interval owner. Here's a post that will or should open Southcape owners' eyes:

Well folks - HERE IT IS - the results of my meeting

I accept full responsibility for all misspellings (sic) and lack of humor. Beyond that, consider this posting an effort to inform, help you with information but NOT an attempt to satisfy your individual feelings or desires.

I am home after a couple of days vacation with my wife in the mountains of North Carolina. The trip included my visit to the offices of Festiva Resorts for a meeting with Davis Smith, Vice-President of Member Services, and Butch Patrick, President. An interesting twist to the meeting was that Mr. Patrick did not attend the meeting but was replaced by Mr. Don Clayton, the founder and CEO of Festiva. I feel change this was both fortuitous and beneficial.

The meeting began at 2pm and lasted for just over 2 hours during which time they had prepared answers to most of my questions and supplied me with documentation which I am still in the process of analyzing.

As I stated before the meeting, I was not there to represent any specific complaint or constituency grouping. My view and goals for the meeting were fact finding and a general expression of concern. I had three objectives: I wanted to understand the mechanism of maintenance fees assessment, the strategy of Festiva as it relates to the future of The Equivest Vacation Club, and finally to discuss the matter of ethics concerning their sales and marketing departments.

I came away from the meeting feeling that I had achieved my objectives. I was heard, they understood my issues and I have a good understanding of their rationale and direction. While I do not agree with them in all points, I understand their business position and they understand my concerns. When presented with logical arguments, I felt they were accepting of my personal views and have indicated that they would entertain consideration of a couple of my recommendations.

I felt fortunate that they had invited me for the meeting. While I did present a number of personal matters relating to my membership and those of my two children, I also discussed the views of many of the members of the user community. The following is a summary of the discussion which took place. They are not representative of my concurrence or disagreement. They are presented to provide information which I feel allows each individual to arrive at their own conclusion.

1. There are two types of members in the Peppertree/Equivest Vacation Club structure, “charter” members and “points” members. Charter members own deeded weeks specific to a time and property while points members have the opportunity to exchange points for available weeks in any given property within the Equivest inventory. Both New and Charter members have the ability to exchange points for available weeks at any given property within the Equivest Club inventory. The only difference between the two types of memberships is that Charter members own a deeded week at one of the club resorts and they have assigned the beneficial use rights of that week to the Equivest Club.

2. At the time of acquisition of Peppertree/EVC by Festiva there were over 10,000 in combined memberships. There are currently 5,675 members of which approximately 1,800 are in default of their current dues. All default members are EVC “points” members including both New and Charter members.

3. No new memberships in EVC have been sold since 2002, the time at which EVC was acquired by Fairfield. Fairfield, Wyndham, and Festiva made conscious decisions not to market EVC because they felt they each offered better products with their own offerings and saw it as a conflict of interest to market against their ‘better’ offering.

4. After the sale of EVC to Fairfield, former employees of Peppertree/EVC decided to create a new company with their own product – the Festiva Adventure Club. The endeavor was independent and actually competitive to their former but purchased company. Fairfield and subsequently Wyndham were significantly larger companies with no common management or operating boards with Festiva. After these employees left Equivest they started Festiva in 2000 and in 2006 Festiva started to sell the Festiva Adventure Club.

5. Festiva does not offer deeded properties – they are a points based time share company.

6. The non-chartered inventory of weeks owned by EVC at the time Festiva acquired EVC represented 108% of the required inventory to satisfy the 1:1 Trust ratio. The 108% comprised both non-charted and chartered weeks. The current percentage is approximately 103% with excess inventory being transferred to Festiva as owners of EVC convert.

7. Any inventory within EVC that is defaulted because of failure to pay dues is removed from the EVC inventory and transferred to Festiva who then become liable for future maintenance fees as “charter” owners of that property week.

8. The Festiva Adventure Club currently has 13,110 members and owns 14,580 interval weeks which is a 111% of the required ratio. The ratio for inventory for FAC is determined based on the number of points sold versus the point value of the weeks in the trust. It is not determined strictly by weeks/members.

9. The clauses in disclosure agreements to release Festiva from any agreements made outside the contract (such as those made by a specific sales person) are necessary as protection for the Corporation. There are specific corporate policies and procedures that employees are to follow. Festiva has taken actions, including termination, when specific documented cases are presented where these policies were not followed. This applies to both employees and 3rd party contractors engaged in sales for Festiva.

10. The current practice is to contact a customer, within the 5 day recession period, to make sure the terms of the contract are understood and misrepresentation has not taken place. This process is only in place for people who purchased through the 3rd party company Outfield Marketing. There are a number of instances where corrective action has taken place including invalidating the contract. It is however, the responsibility of each customer to read and understand the terms of the contract as in any real estate purchase.

11. The core values of Festiva are published and each employee is expected to adhere to them. Reporting and providing documentation of violations of the policies are encouraged and will result in appropriate action.

12. The cost of conversion of a membership to Festiva Adventure Club from EVC is appropriate. The costs cover deed transfer, legal fees, labor costs, commissions for sales personnel and profit margin.

13. The perception that Festiva Adventure Club members have more access to Peppertree properties than EVC members is inaccurate. The percentage of memberships in Peppertree locations is higher in EVC and therefore requires more weeks be reserved for EVC members than Festiva members. This percentage is true of all locations except Blue Ridge Village 1 & 2, and Tamarack.

14. Maintenance costs are comprised of two pieces, a base and per point charge. There is a difference between the maintenance fees of deeded fixed week owners and points members. This difference can be significantly attributed to the management fees associated with the Festiva parent company and the additional costs of running a reservations department to accommodate the ‘floating week’ nature of “points” ownership. The costs of administering fixed week deeded owners is significantly less.

15. Since acquisition of EVC by Festiva, the membership fees have averaged a 8.1% compounded increase. Increases under either Fairfield or Wyndham cannot be compared to those of Festiva because of differing methods of allocation of corporate overhead.

16. With the number of default memberships, the fees for EVC members can be expected to continue to increase.

17. It is not the stated goal of Festiva to eliminate EVC but rather to encourage conversion. At some point in time, the membership of EVC will shrink to the point that fees become to expensive and the membership will decide to dissolve the Club.

18. The Trust Agreement for the EVC does not allow for points members to drop their membership at time of death – it is specifically covered in the agreement. The membership covers an asset and the estate is required to continue to protect that asset.

19. EVC revenues decreased from $8,401,516 in 2008 to $5,609,683 in 2009, a reduction of 33.2%.

20. The number of members (both “charter” and points) dropped by over 37%. This resulted in a lower base to distribute the costs resulting in a significant portion of the increased maintenance fees especially when considering the additional costs associated with administering “points” over “charter” membership.

21. In October of 2008, approximately 740 “points” weeks were move out of the EVC inventory to FAC for default/delinquency.

22. Conversions to FAC from Peppertree/EVC in December were approximately 65 and for January, 2009 were approximately 50.

23. The most recent Trust Agreement for EVC is recorded in Haywood County on 05/09/2002 and represents the Third Amended and Restated Trust Agreement.

24. Under the terms of the trust agreement, original and restated, the management of EVC selects the Board of Directors and they are responsible for any amendments and revisions to the Trust Agreement.

The above points are the basic summarization of materials and discussions from the representatives of Festiva at the meeting. I have intentionally left out anything involving the personal side of my discussion for obvious reasons.

The following are my personal thoughts on a few of the matters discussed.

1. I brought to their attention my request for membership information under sections 7.01d and 8.05 in the Trust Agreement. After discussion, I consulted with my attorney and concur with their response - the Trust Agreement sections are superseded by State and Federal privacy laws similar to those instituted in the medical profession and other industries precluding the release of “personally identifiable” information. This is understandable when considering the issues of identity theft and sale of mailing lists.

2. I was very interested in the concern of Mr. Clayton regarding the matter of ethics. He stated that ethics was the primary reason for his involvement in the meeting. It was, in my opinion, a true concern. I wished that I could have given him “documentation” for instances where sales people had violated their code. Verbal, first or second party statements are not documentation that can be used for disciplinary action. If there are enough verbal statements, it can institute cautions, retraining, and further research. I was given enough evidence that actions have been taken when there was actual documentation. I also understood that people had been terminated for cause when there was a pattern directed at one or more individuals. What I did not see was a corporate disregard for the issue.

3. The current 3rd party marketing firm is Outfield (?) Marketing. Festiva is contacting individuals after the ‘informational’ (?) call to insure the understanding of the individual. This seems to be a fairly new practice.

4. I feel the days for EVC are limited. With the rate of conversion, increased defaults, and current economic times, it is only a matter of a couple of years before membership will be calling for EVC to be dissolved. If EVC is dissolved, we all lose. Memberships disappear and our access to Interval International also goes away. We are faced with conversion or riding the “mule” until it collapses.

5. I did recommend that the Trust Agreement be changed with regards to section 5.02. This section allows for an estate or beneficiaries mentioned in a will of a “Charter member” to discontinue membership 2 years after written notification. My suggestion was to allow all current members to withdraw membership after two years of written notice, without damaging their credit. This was an item they were going to look into. I am not sure it really matters because of the life expectancy of the EVC.

Three final notes:

1. I had a chance to get a look at Festiva from a different perspective than I had previously. While I disagree with them on several points, I found them to be sound business men from a strategic planning perspective. The fact that they were not a part of the Fairfield or Wyndham organizations dismisses the thought that they are in the business of “thrashing” or turning over memberships.

2. They read our user group postings(no surprise) – they find some of those posting reasonable but others just want to rant. I concur.

3. I do not intend to defend my methods or conclusions. I was operating independently and said, and did, what I judged was judicious and proper. If there is strong disagreement, address it with Festiva – I did.

Russ45

Reaction score
I too have been trying to keep up with what is happening. I will also try to be at the May meeting.

I have yet to pay the special assessment of $400.00. Has anyone paid and is there a pro or con to paying?
They can charge 18% interest according to the by-laws and possibly levy a penalty under Mass Law and can keep you from your interval. That being said, I'm still not convinced they have the authority to levy the assessment as a special meeting was called with no notifications and the unit owners did not vote on the capital improvements.

Sou13

Reaction score
The Board met

They can charge 18% interest according to the by-laws and possibly levy a penalty under Mass Law and can keep you from your interval. That being said, I'm still not convinced they have the authority to levy the assessment as a special meeting was called with no notifications and the unit owners did not vote on the capital improvements.

My reading of the Bylaws leads me to believe that the Board can meet without notifying the Unit owners. However, the Board itself is the problem. It has been verified (see Fig's post) that the two other Board members are principals of Outfield Marketing. Between NEVS, FAC and Outfield Marketing, there may be as many as 800+ votes that will definitely NOT be in the best interest of deeded owners.

I'm trying to figure out how many deeded interval owners have to be present at the meeting to constitute a "quorum" and if I'm reading it correctly, it should be around 600. If NEVS, FAC and Outfield Marketing have 800+ votes we don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything done in our favor.

Please go to BOOK 3526 PAGE 039 (scroll down to p. 43) to find the "Meetings of the Corporation" section on p. 21ff of the Bylaws. The link to the Master Deed is in my signature.

Is anyone willing to send the Trustees written notification that the "special assessment" for Capital Improvements is in violation of the Bylaws?

shoestore

Reaction score
Southcape

I own one interval at Southcape and bought it two years ago. I received the special assessment notice too but a couple of things struck me as odd, first there was only an invoice and a generic letter which was unsigned and not on letterhead with no supporting documents attached, which is not what I would expect from an actual property manager, or any business for that matter. I emailed rcassidy to question the legitimacy of this letter and asked for the by-laws, meeting minutes of the board and board member names, but have not heard back yet. Frankly, my first reaction was that this was a scam as some sort of phishing expedition because of the lack of identity and the short period they gave to pay or else! If it isn't a scam, I am not planning on paying for a special assessment unless I see some sort of guarantee this money will be used on the resort itself and the meeting minutes and by-laws. If I can't get any information or at least acknowlegement from NEV I will probably have my lawyer look into it or turn it over to the AG's office. Their special assessment is 67% of the entire yearly operating budget which is very suspicious and I would like for them to show me they are putting in $500,000 to $1,000,000 worth of improvements this year, which is what they would collect if everyone pays this. Anyone else get the feeling that this isn't quite legit?

[Quote -Flora} We are also owners - arrived home from holidays to get this assessment letter
Please advise me if you get a response from rcassidy. Are they for real in these economic times expecting people to cough up $400.00? with 20 days notice. Sounds pretty amateurish!!! No mention of Bd of Directors, owners association etc. Certainly doesn't sound legit - have never heard of a timeshare being operated like this - it is very alarming! Makes one wonder if our equity/ownership is in danger of being annihilated.

bendeben

Reaction score
A Southcape Owner

I've been reading this board for the last few days and this just smells bad and reeks of a scam just barely staying on the edge of legality!

My wife and I have been owners at Southcape since 1983. We've been through the Indian and town assessors dispute at Southcape. In both cases the owners prevailed with the help of the MA AG.

We have not been to Southcape resort for about 15 years having moved to Texas. But, we do trade our 2 weeks every year through II. As a matter of fact we just came back from a trade to Las Vegas.

Please note me as an owner and let me know if there is anything I can do.

Sou13

Reaction score
Welcome, bendeben!

I've been reading this board for the last few days and this just smells bad and reeks of a scam just barely staying on the edge of legality!

My wife and I have been owners at Southcape since 1983. We've been through the Indian and town assessors dispute at Southcape. In both cases the owners prevailed with the help of the MA AG.

We have not been to Southcape resort for about 15 years having moved to Texas. But, we do trade our 2 weeks every year through II. As a matter of fact we just came back from a trade to Las Vegas.

Please note me as an owner and let me know if there is anything I can do.

Could you shed some light on that tax dispute and how active the owners were at the time? You might be able to steer us in the right direction!

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My reading of the Bylaws leads me to believe that the Board can meet without notifying the Unit owners. However, the Board itself is the problem. It has been verified (see Fig's post) that the two other Board members are principals of Outfield Marketing. Between NEVS, FAC and Outfield Marketing, there may be as many as 800+ votes that will definitely NOT be in the best interest of deeded owners.

I'm trying to figure out how many deeded interval owners have to be present at the meeting to constitute a "quorum" and if I'm reading it correctly, it should be around 600. If NEVS, FAC and Outfield Marketing have 800+ votes we don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything done in our favor.

Please go to BOOK 3526 PAGE 039 (scroll down to p. 43) to find the "Meetings of the Corporation" section on p. 21ff of the Bylaws. The link to the Master Deed is in my signature.

Is anyone willing to send the Trustees written notification that the "special assessment" for Capital Improvements is in violation of the Bylaws?

Just remember that the majority of owners who actually send anything in send their proxies. When the board controls the proxies they can win with a small percentage of ownership at the resort. I was thinking about this as I mailed my proxies on 2 weeks I own in Gatlinburg to the board to vote as they see fit. I reread the letter and it not only said that they would vote all proxies for the incumbent board member, it recommended that all owners vote for the incumbent. Once the board is cntrolled by the developer the owners are in a bad situation unless the board is looking out for the owners. The Festiva board is looking out for no one but Festiva IMO!!!!.