• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Southcape Resort

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
It can be done - Hanalei Bay boots out developer

Hanalei Bay timeshare resort in Hawaii is out from under the thumb of Celebrity Resorts and now in full control of its timeshare owners, after settlement of a lawsuit filed April 2009. Celebrity surrendered control of the HOA board and the owners agreed to a buyout of its current management contract. The new homeowner-run board contracted the management to TPI. Celebrity will still own the resort restaurant and will be able to sell or rent the weeks it owns at Hanalei Bay. Celebrity had purchased unsold inventory and developer rights from the original developer of the resort.

The key is organizing, getting a lawyer, and getting the matter in court.

Timesharing Today magazine commented ''Yes, there is a storm brewing and 2010 may turn out to be significant in terms of owners organizing and taking action"

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Yes, I think we all know how you see it. Must be awful to have such blurry vision when the truth is right in front of you . . . .

As someone who has taken action to limit information, you commenting on the "truth" is comical. :D

You really only have one purpose here. To obfuscate the truth and to discourage owners from organizing to the extent that legal action you will force you to deal in a fair manner with the owners. Most people see your presence for exactly what it is - just a disinformation campaign to subvert owners from organizing.

Last edited:

Sou13

Reaction score
NEVS is selling weeks and generating new maintenance fee paying owners. If you want to get NEVS out, help them sell weeks - the faster they sell the weeks, the sooner they'll be out. FYI, when NEVS sells it's weeks and then forecloses and sells the weeks owned by delinquent owners who aren't paying any fees, the resort will have over $500,000 more per year to operate. What do you think that will do to your maintenance fee and the financial health of your resort?

Finally, the details of how NEVS makes it's money is not your business, except that you are aware that NEVS makes money by selling the weeks it owns.

And with this post, I'm once again - gone. You just caught me on a weekend the Patriots aren't playing and the Red Sox are done!!
What right does NEVS have to "foreclose" weeks owned by delinquent owners? Those weeks should be foreclosed by the Community Association, not NEVS! Here's what I found on record at the Barnstable County Capeview Internet Access:

Bk-Pg:23628-197 Recorded: 04-21-2009 @ 3:03:49pm Inst #: 21198 Chg: N Vfy: N Sec: N

Pages in document: 2
Grp: 1
Type: Time Sharing Deed Doc$: 1.00
Desc: UNIT 14 TIME 44
Town: MASHPEE Addr: 950 FALMOUTH RD
Gtor: FOLEY, CARLA F (Gtor)
Gtee: NEW ENGLAND VACATION SERVICES LLC (Gtee)

Return addr: NEW ENGLAND VACATION SERVICES
PO BOX 2847
HYANNIS MA 02601

Recording Fee: 100.00 State excise: .00 Surcharge: 25.00

Bk-Pg:23628-199 Recorded: 04-21-2009 @ 3:03:49pm Inst #: 21199 Chg: Y Vfy: N Sec: N

Desc: UNIT 14 TIME 9
Gtor: PAUL, PAMELA (Gtor)
Gtor: PAUL, PAMELA L (Gtor)

PO BOX 2847
HYANNIS MA 02601

Bk-Pg:23628-201 Recorded: 04-21-2009 @ 3:03:49pm Inst #: 21200 Chg: Y Vfy: N Sec: N

Desc: UNIT 22 TIME 12 13
Gtor: SHERIDAN, PHILLIP T (Gtor)

PO BOX 2847
HYANNIS MA 02601

Bk-Pg:23628-204 Recorded: 04-21-2009 @ 3:03:49pm Inst #: 21202 Chg: Y Vfy: N Sec: N

Desc: UNIT 25 TIME 38
Gtor: KELL, MICHAEL J (&O) (Gtor)
Gtor: KELL, MARYBETH S (&O) (Gtor)

PO BOX 2847
HYANNIS MA 02601

JackB62

Reaction score
Letter from the lawsuit filer- Southcape and Sandcastle

This was given widespread delivery in MA:

Re: Southcape Resort & Club 950 Falmouth Rd. Mashpee, MA 02649, Sandcastle and Royal Coach condos, Rte 6A, Provincetown, MA

Dear Sirs:

This is being written in desperation. Ten thousand (10,000) Time Share Interval (TSI) owners in the above three (3) condominiums have been scammed out of their ownership of their common elements: Pools, Clubhouses, Tennis Courts, Physical Structures and all common areas by the confiscatory "take-over" of the three condos by individuals - two trustees- who have violated MGL St. #183-A and #183-B, the recorded condominium documents and the Mass. Corporate Laws as these pertain to the recorded condominium documents.

Incredibly, no owners of the intervals were given notice of the 2008 sale of their interests (ownership), as required by the condominium documents; the scheme came to light in March of 2009 when a special assessment notice was sent to all TSI owners. Amounts varied from $400 to $885 per interval owned. The anticipated revenue intended to be raised was in excess of $6,000,000.

Completely Illegal

I, as an owner for 27 years, have initiated legal action on behalf of the Southcape resort against the current "owner" of our interests- New England Vacation Services (NEVS) whose president is Clifford Hagberg. I am attempting to obtain owners names and addresses, as prescribed by the Master Deed and MGL St. #183-B. He has not cooperated to many attempts to get this information.

I, and others, have sent numerous certified letters to the Massachusetts Attorney General; she has not helped at all! It seems she believes this is a civil, not a criminal, matter. I believe that taking my property away illegally is less than civil and more likely criminal.

This letter is a plea. We need your help. We are denied information that is mandated in our documents that we need to regain our rightful ownerships.

Very Truly Yours,

Alfred J. Ewald, Southcape I, Unit 30.

Sou13

Reaction score
Thank you, JackB62!

Thank you, JackB62, for sharing your uncle's letter and for the Southcape newsletters your father had saved and has shared with me. Instead of posting them to this discussion, I intend to scan and share them as email attachments ASAP. I hope to be able to add them to the letters I've shared both here on TUG and as email attachments.

I note from these newsletters that renovations to Units 18-24 had been done as recently as 2000, Units 12-17 were done in 2001, and Units 6-11 were scheduled to be done in 2002. Provisions for "reserves" had indeed been made while the Trustees tried to keep the MF increases in line with cost-of-living increases. That's not what we were told by NEVS in October 2008!

Much of the work for which we were assessed an additional $400 has yet to be done, and the interior renovations should not have been scheduled to be done all at once. Rather, they should continue to be done on a "piecemeal" building by building schedule in order to avoid unnecessary financial and usage disruptions. These renovations should be scheduled during "maintenance weeks" at the discretion of management.

Owners continue to report that the Internet access isn't available in the units and that owners are being offered a $50 gift card for meeting with "Frank" in "Owner Services"! He claims that everyone who has switched from deeded ownership to the points system is "so happy with it." He claims that the previous owners had let the place get into terrible disrepair, etc., etc. He just keeps talking & talking......He says that maintenance fees will be going up & that he couldn't promise that we wouldn't get another assessment but didn't think it would be this year.

The website was better before NEVS included the "upgrade" in the Special Assessment, and rentals decreased when the rental fee was increased. No word on the septic system repairs to date.

Comments, anyone?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is time for action, not words. If you sit on your hands, your resort will be too far gone to do anything. You need a lawsuit to take your resort back from these scoundrels.

Sou13

Reaction score
Lies, NEVMSLLC?

Hi David

I could probably write a treatise on your question, but I'll try to sum up my feelings as best I can. On Cape Cod, there are basically three types of resorts: purpose built like the Cove at Yarmouth, converted condos such as Southcape and converted motels like the Ocean Club. Virtually all of the oceanfront resorts are converted motels, great locations, small units. Purpose built resorts have lots of amenities and smaller units. The converted condos were originally intended to be whole ownership condominiums and they tend to be large and spacious. Different strokes, different folks.

Occupancies do vary from resort to resort but at Southcape, for example, we run about 25% in January, increasing gradually until June and then in the high 90% range until the middle of October. About 65% in May and 35% in November for example. Most of the off season weeks are used for exchange.

Because of the lack of off season rental activity, a fully sold out resort is critical to a resort's financial health. If off season weeks go delinquent, it's very difficult to rent those weeks to recover the maintenance fee. That's why a good sales program to replace those owners is so important. If you need more details, let me know.

I began with Southcape in 1992 doing a resale program for the owners and the former developers. Over the years, I've owned a number of weeks at Southcape and I never did buy one on Ebay for $1. The developers asked me to leave the resort in 1993 because I was selling too many of their weeks. I continued doing resales from off site but it was simply not as effective.

I began to see the problems developing with the resort back then and I decided to try and buy the remaining inventory so I could sell the weeks and make sure the resort was on the right track. I tried to buy the inventory in 1995, 1998, 2003 and 2005. Each time, the developers changed their mind and kept the inventory and control. Finally, last year they decided to sell for real and that's sort of how I got where I am now.

Funny enough, I've never stayed there but I do plan to stay there sometime this year. I've always loved Southcape Resort. It has everything you would want in a great resort - wonderful units, great location, the right amenities and a "feel" that most resorts don't have. As you've seen, Southcape owners are passionate about their resort and that's a very good thing. Over the next year, I believe that Southcape will become the resort it's always been meant to be and I'm already proud to have a part in making that happen.http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84127&page=13
Here's what the newsletter from 1995 had to say about IVS at Southcape:

The resort appears to be heading in the proper direction and although there have been many positive steps taken by management, we still have a long way to go and there are still serious problems that need to be addressed. Defaulted maintenance assessments cause a burden on the membership. Sales to new owners are needed to offset these defaults and to increase cash flow. IVS was successful in selling a small number of weeks for our owners but were unable to increase the owner base. The developers have a number of weeks in all time periods available for sale along with a selected number of foreclosed weeks. If you are interested in acquiring an additional week and wish to save marketing and sales commissions please contact Bob Woods at 201- 265 -7778 for additional information.

Last edited:

jannibaby

Reaction score
Interesting call to Southcape yesterday

I had an interesting and frustrating call to Southcape yesterday. We were thinking of renting a few days off season in the Spring. I was told that of course we couldn't book before 2 weeks (I had forgotten about that rule) and that in order to obtain the owner's rates, we would be REQUIRED to take a tour of the resort to hear about the exciting new exchange opportunities! I was quite taken aback. I said "Oh I know all about the EXCITING opportunities and I am not interested." She said well in order to get the owner's rates this is what you will have to do. I asked again why we were REQUIRED to do this. She said hold on and immediately shuffled around and got her script to read to me. It was the obvious script about improvements and opportunities, basically the Festiva spiel. I immediately asked to speak to Rosaleen but she was not there. I told the person that I understood she had to read this to me and tow the company line but that this is bordering on absurd at this point. So, it seems that Outfield Marketing or Festiva or whoever, is still hard at work to push their product at Southcape. The last thing I would want to do is to go on a "timeshare sales tour" when I ALREADY own at the freaking resort. :annoyed:

ChrisH

Reaction score
And now for the TRUTH - Festiva Adventure Club fees 2010

Dear Sir or Madam

This year has been an exciting year for the Festiva Resorts Adventure Club, but we sure aren’t sad to see it go. 2009 has been a tough year for nearly everyone and the Adventure Club is no exception. On the positive side, there have been some great additions to the Adventure Club this year and there are more to follow in 2010 and beyond. We would like to take this opportunity to update you on these recent additions and inform you of some exciting future additions and some unfortunate changes that may not be as pleasant.
Festiva Resorts has added four fantastic destinations for members to choose from. All are not available for your next vacation with the Adventure Club. From skiing in Maine to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, or from relaxing on the beach in one of America’s oldest cities to fall leaf watching in New England, the Adventure Club has made it available for you.
• Rangeley Lake Resort in Rangeley, Maine
• Frenchmen Orleans 519 in New Orleans, Louisiana
• Ocean Gate Resort in St. Augustine, Florida
• Southcape Resort & Club in Cape Cod, Massachusetts
During 2009 we heard feedback from many of our members that were not happy with the $89 multiple reservation fee that was charged for any stay booked after the first reservation transaction. We are happy to announce that effective immediately the $89 multiple reservation fee has been eliminated and there will be $0 charge for making multiple reservations.
Festiva Resorts has added nearly 4,000 new members to the Adventure Club through its sales efforts in 2009, bringing total membership to nearly 16,000 members.
We would also like to remind you that you may accelerate a future year’s allotment of points and/or rent additional points in order to complete any reservation.
Unfortunately the Adventure Club has seen the effects of the economic recession just as it has impacted many other industries, businesses and individuals. In 2009 we have seen an increase in delinquencies and defaults. As a result the Adventure Club is facing some very large deficits in 2010. In order to face those deficits head on and to ensure that the Adventure Club continues to fulfill its mission of providing superior products and services to its members, the maintenance fee structure is being adjusted to include nearly $1.7 million in expected bad debt and defaults. To be straightforward, that will result in an increase in fees for everyone. At this time the assessments have not been completed and we will not have the specific maintenance fees amounts available until immediately before your invoice is mailed. The Owner Services department does not have this information at this time.
Festiva Resorts passes this new along with sincere empathy as it has certainly felt the pain firsthand. Festiva Resorts (while under no obligation to do so) has subsidized the Adventure Club’s bad debt in an amount approaching $1 million during 2009 and will again contribute and estimated $1 million in 2010.
We mention the above contributions as we predict that the news of this increase could be met by accusations and rumors spread among members through various internet outlets or at the resorts. The facts are that people have been hit pretty hard during 2009 and quite simply many of them can no longer afford their home or their car, let alone their Adventure Club membership. To lessen the impact of this deficit on all members Festiva Resorts is going above and beyond its obligations by contributing $2 million in subsidies by the end of 2010 that otherwise would have been used to further enhance the Club and its resorts. We ask for your understanding and to come to terms with the fact that you the members and we the founders of the Adventure Club are in this together. We know that these economic woes will eventually pass and we also know that in order to protect your investment and ours all parties involved must act responsibly and face this burden squarely and completely.
We want to provide you with the facts and be as transparent as possible as you will be receiving your Maintenance Fee invoice by mail in the next few weeks. Again, we appreciate your understanding and have confidence that the efforts of responsible members like you along with those of Festiva Resorts will help to continually improve the Adventure Club program and its family of resorts. We look forward to servicing your vacation needs in 2010 and moving forward.

Sincerely,
Festiva Resorts Adventure Club

Sou13

Reaction score
Thanks for the update on Festiva, ChrisH!

For starters, this news means that all of the Southcape summer week owners who fell for the Outfield Marketing "information" will now be paying more in maintenance fees unless NEVS now sees the need to hit us with another special assessment in order to turn the resort over to Festiva and get the heck outta here.

Sou13

Reaction score
I had an interesting and frustrating call to Southcape yesterday. We were thinking of renting a few days off season in the Spring. I was told that of course we couldn't book before 2 weeks (I had forgotten about that rule) and that in order to obtain the owner's rates, we would be REQUIRED to take a tour of the resort to hear about the exciting new exchange opportunities! I was quite taken aback. I said "Oh I know all about the EXCITING opportunities and I am not interested." She said well in order to get the owner's rates this is what you will have to do. I asked again why we were REQUIRED to do this. She said hold on and immediately shuffled around and got her script to read to me. It was the obvious script about improvements and opportunities, basically the Festiva spiel. I immediately asked to speak to Rosaleen but she was not there. I told the person that I understood she had to read this to me and tow the company line but that this is bordering on absurd at this point. So, it seems that Outfield Marketing or Festiva or whoever, is still hard at work to push their product at Southcape. The last thing I would want to do is to go on a "timeshare sales tour" when I ALREADY own at the freaking resort. :annoyed:
Do you get a $50 gift card for taking the "tour"?

Sou13

Reaction score
Heading for Southcape

I'm getting packed and hope to be off for Mashpee soon. I hope to be settled in this evening.

If you haven't yet submitted your questions for Rosaleen Cassidy, Resort Manager, there's still time. Call me at 1-508-477-4700 x 120 this evening or tomorrow a.m. no later than 10:30.

I don't own a laptop and there's still no Internet access in the units, besides which there's not a lot of time to be spending online. I'll be returning Saturday.

If you have the time and live within driving distance, I'll be happy to give you the "tour" myself!

Sou13

Reaction score
Correction

I'm at Southcape Resort but not in Unit 20. The reason for this is that I had originally requested to be in Unit 27 but at the time it wasn't available, so I accepted the reservation for Unit 20 and when I called the resort and looked at my reservation I was expecting to be in Unit 20.

When I checked in and was given the keys to Unit 27 I was puzzled but hadn't brought my reservation with me and couldn't solve the mystery until this a.m.

That's one of the many things I appreciate about Southcape Resort. When Unit 27 became available after all, Frances switched me into 27 but didn't make a note of it for the evening staff. Had I been able to check in at 3 p.m. I'd have been less confused. I just chalked it up to oncoming senility and vowed to check my reservation when I returned home. So now that the mystery has been solved, I need to inform anyone who wants to pay me a visit that the # is 508-477-4700 x 127 and that's why I'm here posting instead of enjoying my stay!

The good news is that the library isn't busy and Roche Brothers' Market has Edy's ice cream on sale for $1.99. I don't need any more ice cream but do need to pick up some ginger ale, so I needed to come to the SouthCape Plaza and the library is still next to Roches' Market.

Last edited:

Sou13

Reaction score
Report from the resort Part I

This is the first installment of my report of what I did and found at Southcape Resort this past week. I'll begin by explaining how I was able to spend four days instead of having to stay a week.

If you go back to my earliest posts you learn that I've been splitting my week for years, and that this year I was able to spend the three days over the Memorial Day weekend. I had made arrangements to pay $100 per month toward the $400 special assessment and had paid $200 by then. But after seeing what work had yet to be done and talking to another owner who was paying only $50 per month I reasoned that I needed the money more than Southcape does until the remainder of the repairs and renovations could be done. I was told that I couldn't use my remaining 4 days until the special assessment was paid in full, and I was also told that I could not examine the books because I was "delinquent" in my agreement.

I've been keeping informed about what's been happening and not happening, and by the time I needed to make a decision about whether to bite the bullet and pay the remainder, I reasoned that even if it was unwarranted and illegal, I would still be locked out if I didn't pay, so I called the Resort and put the balance + $50 late fee on my Visa.

The following week we received a very informative newsletter along with our maintenance fee billing for 2010, and for the first time in many, many years, there was a budget included. Upon reading the newsletter I was embarrassed. I had never done the math and realized that $400 was actually how much was needed to do the work that had been done so far, and that the remainder of the work would be financed from the $50 per year reserve account.

Now that I had all this info, I emailed rcassidy@southcaperesort.com and requested an appointment to go over questions about the special assessment and budget while staying at the resort, and she graciously set up an appointment. I then solicited questions from Southcape owners who are on my elist, and emailed them to her so that she'd be prepared to answer them.

Check-in time for the four-day stay is 3 p.m. Tuesday but I didn't arrive until nearly 8 p.m. That's when I learned that I was supposed to be in unit 27 when I'd notified everyone that I'd be in unit 20. I was confused but also distracted by the happy hour going on in the clubhouse, and it wasn't too late to have a glass of wine and join the party. While my $1.99 Edy's ice cream was going soft in my trunk I met some owners who want to hang on to their weeks and an owner who is sorry she didn't. We exchanged contact info and I've added them to my elist.

That's all for now. I've already reported my meeting with Frank at http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=826624&postcount=320 My next installment will be about the meeting with Rosaleen and NEVMSLLC.

Sou13

Reaction score
Meeting with Rosaleen and NEVMSLLC

I've been counting "views" of this discussion and hoping that Southcape owners would post replies but it looks as though I can't put this Part II off any longer, so here goes:

When I emailed Rosaleen the questions I suggested that she might fill in the answers and print them out or (preferably) email them to me so that I could forward them to the Southcape owners on my elist, but instead she led me into her office, then explained that some of my questions needed to be answered by a trustee, which is why NEVMSLLC needed to be present. I wasn't taken completely by surprise but this did make a difference in what I could say to Rosaleen, who has a 20-year history at Southcape Resort and has been the Resort Manager since 2006. I didn't tape-record the meeting, and if either Rosaleen or Mr. Hagberg did, they can correct me if I'm posting "misrepresentations" because it's been suggested or implied in the past that I've been guilty of doing that.

I was aware that another owner had met with Rosaleen in October, which is why I wasn't necessarily expecting to have a "trustee" present at this meeting, especially when I wasn't requesting to view the books (which I do not feel qualified to do). Other owners who may have had their requests honored haven't reported these meetings to me.

So if anything I report here is a "misrepresentation" I invite NEVMSLLC or any of those other "personas" to correct me because I do try to get to the bottom of things. I will focus on unanswered questions and email the rest to Southcape owners on my elist.

The most important "misrepresentation" that needs to be corrected is that Mr. Hagberg does not collect a salary of more than $4000 a week from NEVMS LLC the management company. The "General and Administrative" item on the budget represents the total amount paid to the company and this is determined by a percentage of the maintenance fees that are expected to be paid, which according to the budget shows a decrease for 2010 and I'm still at a loss to explain why. If Monterey Financial is expected to collect more from delinquent owners in 2010, shouldn't there be an increase in the amount paid to NEVMS?

The biggest issue that remains unresolved is that NEVS is using two units on a year-round basis without paying MFs, SAs or rent for use of those weeks because the so-called "developer's rights" allow them to maintain a "sales" office at the resort. However, since NEVS has now "relocated" to a residence address at Southcape Resort, this is IMVHO a further imposition on MF- and SA-paying owners, especially since, despite what NEVMSLLC claims, weeks are NOT being sold in Unit 32, and Unit 33 is NOT being used as a "model" as a developer would use a unit or in the case of Southcape would need 6 units to show as models because there are 6 styles of units available at Southcape Resort. Unit 33 is being used as a permanent residence for the "owner services" rep who is actually servicing Festiva, not Southcape Resort owners.

To my question of why Rosaleen and CH "perjured" themselves by filing papers that they served as "Clerk" of the corporation, the answer which I have verified in the case of Rosaleen is that she never signed the papers! However, the filings looks fishy to me because the "signature" part is cut off, and CH did sign the "Certificate of Change of Directors or Officers," which is why I'm not satisfied with the answer to this one.

To my questions about owner representation on the Board of Directors and Board of Trustees, the answer remained that there are legal issues that need to be worked out. If and when this ever happens, my concern is that the Master Deed will be amended to accommodate Festiva, not Southcape Condo I deeded owners. The online filings at http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/corp/corpsearch/CorpSearchInput.asp do not go back to the earliest years of Barth & Woods as "directors" of the corporation. The earliest online filings are 2001. I was told that there were two appointees to the board in the 1990s but that when one of them died he was never replaced. The records of whatever happened to the board members who were serving in 1990 have not been produced. I did request copies of all meeting minutes and trustees meeting minutes since 1982 but if they exist, I have to request them again. This is a matter for the "advisory committee" which is not expected to be meeting until next year.

The answer to my question of who was taking "minutes" at the "annual meeting" the answer was that Denise Daly, who works for NEVMSLLC, was sitting in the back of the room taking notes which she later corroborated with the "clerk" (whoever that is) and that the "annual meeting" wasn't actually an "annual meeting" because the agenda was not followed. I can dimly see a picture in my mind's eye of CH throwing the agenda into the air, which he claimed he did, but since no Southcape owners have posted their recollections of the meeting to this discussion, there are more than 1000 Southcape interval owners who are under the impression that they have received "minutes" of the "annual meeting" in the mail.

I didn't request the owners' names and addresses but did acknowledge that I'm aware of the civil action filed by Al Ewald. Despite my acknowledgment of willingness to help Mr. Ewald my name may still be added to the list of potential owners' advisory committee members. Rebecca Trail has not filed the papers to have her name added to her parents' timeshare weeks, which is why she is to date ineligible to serve on the committee.

When CH expressed his dismay at my description of his band as sounding like a "buncha drunks" Rosaleen pulled up band's website and read what was posted there, then pointed out that he had "asked for it" by what he had posted! It was generally acknowledged that his posts may need editing or "softening" as was done in the very informational and positive letter that had accompanied the 2010 MF billing. Rosaleen is our intermediary and is doing a great job IMVHO which is why I asked whether she plans to continue in that capacity. She loves her job at Southcape Resort and let's hope her love affair continues for many years to come!

Mr. Hagberg indicated to me that some of the posters to TUG may be in jeopardy of having legal action taken against them. When he specified that ClassyLassy had posted that he was guilty of criminal acts, I told him that when he accused me of doing the same, I reasoned that if I'm doing 30 MPH in a 25-MPH zone I'm breaking the law and that might make me a criminal. CH didn't recall that email message to me but I save all my email messages and can produce them upon request. I refuse to be bound by a "confidentiality" clause if I email questions to nevmsllc@gmail.com.

I addressed my concern about the $2.5 million mortgage which was explained as a "line of credit" but I can't take the responsibility for explaining why it exists. My ears heard a question raised about it at the May 16 meeting, but CH denies that the question was about the mortgage, and if Denise Daly was sitting in the back of the room she may not have even heard that one.

An attempt was made to explain how "float" weeks are assigned to Festiva. I'm still not satisfied with the answer. If our hopes for financial security rest on Festiva paying MFs and SAs for the weeks that have been turned over to the FAC, then our hopes for the future rest on the financial security of the FAC which is already showing deficits for 2009 and 2010. I wasn't expecting to be having a meeting with Frank in "owner services" when I met with Rosaleen and NEVMSLLC so I was not aware at the time of the meeting that weeks in units 32-55 are fixed, not float, which explains why Condo II was never sold out. In fact, I learned from NEVMSLLC that none of the weeks in that block of condo units had ever been sold by Barth & Woods. In 1990 an offer was made in the "RUMOR MILL" to contact management about buying units for year-round residence! This is why we need to know what was going on for the past 18 years. According to NEVMSLLC the board of trustees never met!

If any questions raised in this discussion have not been answered, please bring them to my attention. I will email the questions and answers attachment to Southcape owners only. Anyone who is not on my email list can email me a request to be added to the list.

JackB62

Reaction score
Unanswered questions

Sou13,

Thanks for taking your time on a holiday to converse with
management at Southcape. I think you'll agree, they weren't
a font of information? Aren't they accountable to us?

CH did not give an answer to his remuneration. What percent of the
collected MFs become his? Or, what dollar amount?

Also, is there a separate account for the "reserve fund?" How much
is currently in it?

CH, can't you answer these right here, or are the questions too
hard for you?

Jack

Sou13

Reaction score
Clarification

I received this email message from Rosaleen Cassidy today:

I hope that you are well, and that you enjoyed your recent stay at Southcape Resort.

I have just reviewed your posting on the TUG website, and I believe that you may have misunderstood my response when you asked me about serving as the clerk of the corporation. Therefore, I will attempt to outline the events around this issue in an effort to provide further clarification.

On March 26 of this year, Mr. Hagberg asked me if I realized that I was listed as the clerk of the corporation. I was initially confused by the question. I have held the position of manager of the resort since August of 2005. I have never served as clerk of the corporation. He advised me that I was listed with the Secretary of State Department as clerk, and informed me that I could check it online. I did this and found that he was indeed correct. I immediately called the department and spoke with Patricia. I asked her how this could have happened without my knowledge. She said that the report was filed online using an electronic signature. This is rather disturbing as it means, in effect, that anybody can sign these forms electronically without the knowledge of the person whose name they are using. It is even more disturbing that the department does not seem particularly interested when this happens. However, at the time of the filing, a fee required to file the report would have to be paid by the person who, claiming to be me, electronically signed my name. So, I assume, that a little research on the department’s part would find the source of that payment, and, therefore, the signatory. Patricia informed me that I should to put my concern in writing, and to direct it to Laurie Flynn. I wrote to Laurie Flynn and I received a response from her on April 24. This letter stated that the department did not have the “authority to modify information made on filings,”and that the corporation would have to file an Article of Correction. I contacted Robert Woods. Mr. Woods said that he would contact Attorney McNichols and have her make the necessary corrections. Attorney McNichols proceeded to file an Article of Correction substituting herself as clerk for that time period. When I recently reviewed the filings at the Secretary of State’s department, it appears that Attorney McNichols is still listed as Clerk. I believe that this is another error.

I was never asked to serve as clerk of the corporation. If I had been asked, I would have declined. Annual reports were not filed in 2006 or 2007. The reports for 2006, 2007 & 2008 were filed on August 7, 2008, just prior to the sale to NEVS. They were filed, using my name, without my permission or knowledge. Given that I was never an officer of the corporation, I have never participated in such filings. When you ask the question online as to “why I perjured myself,” it implies that you have established that I have perjured myself. I consider this damaging, and I would ask that you make the necessary corrections

I choose to believe that my being listed as clerk was an innocent error, but if there was intentional wrongdoing, then I am the victim of that wrongdoing, and not the perpetrator. The manner in which you have covered this in your posting would seem to suggest otherwise.

Again, I hope that this email finds you well. It was a pleasure meeting with you during your stay, and I greatly appreciate your kind comments with regards to my work at Southcape. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any further assistance.

I hope this clears up the confusion. That's why I'm here!

Rosaleen Cassidy may not be the only person doing business in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts who has been the victim of wrongdoing. I've been in contact with a former Massachusetts businessman who told me that even the "seals" used to document filings can be falsified!

Sou13

Reaction score
What became of the annual report for 2009?

"Every non-profit corporation organized under the laws of the commonwealth must file a non-profit annual report with the Corporations Division on or before November 1st of each year. M.G.L.A. c180 § 26A (1933); 950 CMR § 106.13." http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cor/corpdf/180npcar.pdf

"INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT REPORTS WILL BE RETURNED TO SENDER FOR COMPLETION AND/OR CORRECTION"

Fig

Reaction score
I received this email message from Rosaleen Cassidy today:

I hope that you are well, and that you enjoyed your recent stay at Southcape Resort.

I have just reviewed your posting on the TUG website, and I believe that you may have misunderstood my response when you asked me about serving as the clerk of the corporation. Therefore, I will attempt to outline the events around this issue in an effort to provide further clarification.

On March 26 of this year, Mr. Hagberg asked me if I realized that I was listed as the clerk of the corporation. I was initially confused by the question. I have held the position of manager of the resort since August of 2005. I have never served as clerk of the corporation. He advised me that I was listed with the Secretary of State Department as clerk, and informed me that I could check it online. I did this and found that he was indeed correct. I immediately called the department and spoke with Patricia. I asked her how this could have happened without my knowledge. She said that the report was filed online using an electronic signature. This is rather disturbing as it means, in effect, that anybody can sign these forms electronically without the knowledge of the person whose name they are using. It is even more disturbing that the department does not seem particularly interested when this happens. However, at the time of the filing, a fee required to file the report would have to be paid by the person who, claiming to be me, electronically signed my name. So, I assume, that a little research on the department’s part would find the source of that payment, and, therefore, the signatory. Patricia informed me that I should to put my concern in writing, and to direct it to Laurie Flynn. I wrote to Laurie Flynn and I received a response from her on April 24. This letter stated that the department did not have the “authority to modify information made on filings,”and that the corporation would have to file an Article of Correction. I contacted Robert Woods. Mr. Woods said that he would contact Attorney McNichols and have her make the necessary corrections. Attorney McNichols proceeded to file an Article of Correction substituting herself as clerk for that time period. When I recently reviewed the filings at the Secretary of State’s department, it appears that Attorney McNichols is still listed as Clerk. I believe that this is another error.

I was never asked to serve as clerk of the corporation. If I had been asked, I would have declined. Annual reports were not filed in 2006 or 2007. The reports for 2006, 2007 & 2008 were filed on August 7, 2008, just prior to the sale to NEVS. They were filed, using my name, without my permission or knowledge. Given that I was never an officer of the corporation, I have never participated in such filings. When you ask the question online as to “why I perjured myself,” it implies that you have established that I have perjured myself. I consider this damaging, and I would ask that you make the necessary corrections

I choose to believe that my being listed as clerk was an innocent error, but if there was intentional wrongdoing, then I am the victim of that wrongdoing, and not the perpetrator. The manner in which you have covered this in your posting would seem to suggest otherwise.

Again, I hope that this email finds you well. It was a pleasure meeting with you during your stay, and I greatly appreciate your kind comments with regards to my work at Southcape. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any further assistance.

I hope this clears up the confusion. That's why I'm here!

Rosaleen Cassidy may not be the only person doing business in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts who has been the victim of wrongdoing. I've been in contact with a former Massachusetts businessman who told me that even the "seals" used to document filings can be falsified!
This brings up a related ball of wax Sou. Cliff could have found out about having to file such papers was when he worked his way using the alias "Capeguitarguy" onto your private email list and then denied having done so. But the interesting thing is the facts listed in the filing. For backgroud:

As you may recall, I have filed such reports myself and pointed out Cliff had not filed such a report yet was operating as a director....I detailed this in an private email to you. You circulated it to your list, which contained, Capeguitarguy, whose identity was then unknown to you as Cliff. Like magic, after I brought up the subject, and you circulated it to your list, Cliff files all necessary reports. Big deal, he used an alias that two sources connect with him to work his way onto your list and flat out denied it, just as he flat out denied he created several aliases to argue his points for him, until it appears TUG caught him in the act...a practice known as "astroturfing" for which some companies have been prosecuted. Notice how all the Cliff fans have mysteriously disappeared since then? Amazing.

All that aside, the interersting thing is, he files "under penalty of perjury" an address for his business that I have heard subsequently turned out not to be the business address at all. If I recall correctly, from having seen an electronic copy of it online, he handwrote his little report, so the source of that one should be a little clearer.

Last edited:

Sou13

Reaction score
Thanks, Fig!

Thanks for the post, Fig! You, tombo, ecwinch, and TUGBrian have been enormously helpful to Southcape owners in our search for info and untimate justice.

From your experience, is there any penalty for not filing? It appears to me that someone in the Secretary of State's office may be the culprit here. Clifford Hagberg filed the notice of change in directors listing himself as clerk, but not specifying whom he was replacing (evidently not required). Then Ms. McNichols filed articles of correction for the three previous years, stating that she, not Rosaleen Cassidy, had been the clerk. It now appears that Clifford Hagberg replaced Elizabeth McNichols, not Rosaleen Cassidy, but that Elizabeth McNichols is now incorrectly listed as the clerk.

Can anyone in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts get anything right?

Fig

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, Fig! You, tombo, ecwinch, and TUGBrian have been enormously helpful to Southcape owners in our search for info and untimate justice.

From your experience, is there any penalty for not filing? It appears to me that someone in the Secretary of State's office may be the culprit here. Clifford Hagberg filed the notice of change in directors listing himself as clerk, but not specifying whom he was replacing (evidently not required). Then Ms. McNichols filed articles of correction for the three previous years, stating that she, not Rosaleen Cassidy, had been the clerk. It now appears that Clifford Hagberg replaced Elizabeth McNichols, not Rosaleen Cassidy, but that Elizabeth McNichols is now incorrectly listed as the clerk.

Can anyone in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts get anything right?

You'd have to check with the Sec of State on that one. The address for NEVS and Outfield marketing were the interesting facts for me. From what I hear, the NEVS address turned out to be bogus. Why put an address down under penalty of perjury for a business address if it is false? As for Outfield, when asked, Festiva rep gave an entirely different address. These are legal documents.

Sou13

Reaction score
Debate on WBZ tonight

The Massachusetts Republican (Scott Brown) and Democratic (Martha Coakley) candidates for Senate will have a radio debate at 8 tonight on WBZ Newsradio’s “NightSide with Dan Rea,’’ and a television debate at 7 p.m. Tuesday with WBZ-TV’s Jon Keller. (That one will be carried live on the WBZ website but will not be televised until 8 a.m. Dec. 27.)

Sou13

Reaction score
Six indicted in latest loan fraud case

It looks as though Attorney General Coakley has bigger scammers to go after than Outfield Marketing and Festiva:

Six indicted in latest loan fraud case

Jenifer McKim was interviewing Sandcastle owners for a Boston Globe article but it looks as though this ponzi scheme took priority over the timeshare one.

I read the reader comments to the coverage of the candidates' debate and there weren't many who had positive things to say about Ms. Coakley. The Globe, however, claims that "in the end, Coakley lands in the right place"!

So just in case I can't get back to these discussions until next week, have yourselves a merry little Christmas!