• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2008 ] RCI is a SCAM!!

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you look at Standard Reservations? About 9-10 months (maximum you can search is 10), you should see availability there for various areas. If you cannot see much, it's probably a lack of inventory in points for that area.

I don't agree that RCI is a scam. I have found wonderful exchanges through weeks, and I think the points system is just a matter of learning the tricks.

Cindy, I see your postings on the Sightings board everyday but I can't get those same exchanges. I don't know why. Last year, with essentially the same weeks, I got anything and everything. This year I get dog food for dinner. I can't trade into a decent resort for the life of me. I'm glad for you but I am frustrated as heck.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I have a point account and am very disappointed with what I have been able to exchange into. I have been trying learn the system, but apparently have not figured it out yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Donna

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a point account and am very disappointed with what I have been able to exchange into. I have been trying learn the system, but apparently have not figured it out yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Donna

I've been an HGVC owner for a while and their points system is pretty simple in that you get a set amount of points for the size and season unit you own and you get to spend those points for what ever number of stays you want, where ever you want subject to availability, provided you have the points internal to their system.

I'm in the midst of purchasing a non-hgvc RCI points week and was able to get a fair number of RCI points setup. With points, the week I'm buying is valued at a certain number of points which are deposited in my account. I then get to book where ever I want to go, subject to availability (inventory) and provided I had the points I needed internal to the RCI points system.

I have a trade show I attend in April and was able to book HGVC LV Hilton adjacent to the LV Convention Center, using the RCI points without issue for next April.

I don't know all that much, but RCI points didn't seem all that foreign.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basically, you received X amount of points for your unit. At 10 months prior to checkin, you can reserve any available unit (in the RCI inventory) at any Points resort, providing you have enough points. At 24 months (?) prior to checkin, you can reserve any available unit at any weeks resort.

There are indiosyncrycies in any system, so you have any specific questions?

Reaction score
RCI Points LOLOL

Just to put my 2 dollars in i live in Tenerife ( Which is just off the Coast of Africa ) I do work in the Timeshare Industry but for Diamond Resorts International :) We are a points based Company:) for those of you who are having problems ot getting the Weeks you want via the Exchange System may i suggest you go and talk to a DRI Consultant near you maybe just maybe you will get what you want if you need to know more just ask :whoopie Ps does this remind you of anything to do with RCI ???.........................:wall:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
D. R. I. = Full Freight. R. C. I. = El Cheapo Resale.

for those of you who are having problems ot getting the Weeks you want via the Exchange System may i suggest you go and talk to a DRI Consultant near you maybe just maybe you will get what you want if you need to know more just ask :whoopie Ps does this remind you of anything to do with RCI ?
All the DRI consultants I'm familiar with are the people who talk to me at Owner Updates, etc., over those little tables in the high-pressure salesrooms, offering full-freight memberships in T. H. E. Club for big bux.

For those content to go that way, I'm sure it's fine.

For us bottom-feeding timeshare bargain hunters, however, RCI & RCI Points timeshares -- resale all the way -- are much to be preferred.

31bSppYlGvL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

-- hotlinked --
T. H. E. Club

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to put my 2 dollars in i live in Tenerife ( Which is just off the Coast of Africa ) I do work in the Timeshare Industry but for Diamond Resorts International :) We are a points based Company:) for those of you who are having problems ot getting the Weeks you want via the Exchange System may i suggest you go and talk to a DRI Consultant near you maybe just maybe you will get what you want if you need to know more just ask :whoopie Ps does this remind you of anything to do with RCI ???.........................:wall:

Right! DRI's latest maintenance fee increase was 26% at one of the properties I own. That would really make me want to run out and buy DRI much more encourage me to recommend it to anyone.

BTW.....DRI is a trust based club and owners have no say.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Diamond resorts- DRI (AKA Sunterra) has a large TS system which can be a good way to vacation. BUT it also has some significant problems

To learn more about the DRI system read the DRI FAQ here on TUG or ask questions of the DRI experts over at TS4Ms.com

Last edited:

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really believe the key to the RCI points program is to learn as much as you can about it. I found it very confusing at first so I had it for over a year before I used it (and of course, I thought very negatively of RCI during that time). I decided to try to figure it out so I joined TUG and researched as much as I could. I even tried to figure out when RCI updated the system every night so that I could have first choice of the last minute weeks inventory for 9000 points as soon as they appear.

Recently, I was seeing all of the posts of Manhattan Club sightings from RickandCindy, yet I couldn't find them. I called RCI and talked with someone in the IT department on why I couldn't see the Manhattan Club inventory. They let me know what I was doing wrong and I was able to reserve Manhattan Club for 5 nights for my birthday in Feb. and 5 nights during spring break in April.

Bottom line, the system can work for you - you just have to take the time to figure it out (through boards, through calling RCI). Though there are some definite downsides to the system, I don't think it's a scam.

e.bram

Reaction score
If RCI has what it considers excess prime red weeks deposited, why should they exchange them to someone who deposited a blue dog week. It doesn't make sense. thsy can rent them out for money. They can't rent blue dog weeks(nobody wants them). RCI has a like for for like paradigm. why is this hard to understand

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have never seen Manhattan Club with RCI points. I only see it with weeks, but I haven't looked very often for points exchanges--only when I need something particular that I cannot find in weeks. I usually cannot find it in points, anyway. Points are disappointing, in my opinion.

I guess I will buy Disney tickets again this year with my points. :shrug:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
What To Do With Those Stale R. C. I. Points That Are About To Expire.

I guess I will buy Disney tickets again this year with my points.
Not sure they're still offering that as a "Points Partners" option.

We had overripe points that were about to expire last year & had to use those to get some dumb Disney tickets rather than get nothing at all for them.

That was then. This is now.

So it goes.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, Heidi, I'm also having an issue with seeing a certain resort.

I really believe the key to the RCI points program is to learn as much as you can about it. I found it very confusing at first so I had it for over a year before I used it (and of course, I thought very negatively of RCI during that time). I decided to try to figure it out so I joined TUG and researched as much as I could. I even tried to figure out when RCI updated the system every night so that I could have first choice of the last minute weeks inventory for 9000 points as soon as they appear.

Recently, I was seeing all of the posts of Manhattan Club sightings from RickandCindy, yet I couldn't find them. I called RCI and talked with someone in the IT department on why I couldn't see the Manhattan Club inventory. They let me know what I was doing wrong and I was able to reserve Manhattan Club for 5 nights for my birthday in Feb. and 5 nights during spring break in April.

Bottom line, the system can work for you - you just have to take the time to figure it out (through boards, through calling RCI). Though there are some definite downsides to the system, I don't think it's a scam.

I can see availability with my weeks deposit for Massanutten, but when I search with my points for weeks availability, no availability shows up. I've hesitated to contact RCI. How did you get to someone in IT? What were you doing wrong? Massanutten is not a points resort, so I can't figure out on my own why I can't see availability with a weeks search using my points. I've been a member of RCI since the early 80's. I agree that there are some downsides, but have been satisfied over the years. Before finding TUG, we owned only blue weeks and following the deposit early and request an exchange in advance, we've been to some really great places with those blue weeks. Thanks, Heidi, for any help you can pass my way before I take the plunge and call RCI, which I avoid if at all possible.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I can see availability with my weeks deposit for Massanutten, but when I search with my points for weeks availability, no availability shows up. I've hesitated to contact RCI. How did you get to someone in IT? What were you doing wrong? Massanutten is not a points resort, so I can't figure out on my own why I can't see availability with a weeks search using my points. I've been a member of RCI since the early 80's. I agree that there are some downsides, but have been satisfied over the years. Before finding TUG, we owned only blue weeks and following the deposit early and request an exchange in advance, we've been to some really great places with those blue weeks. Thanks, Heidi, for any help you can pass my way before I take the plunge and call RCI, which I avoid if at all possible.

Manhattan, Massanutten? You should see weeks with a weeks search through points, but I sure don't see the same stuff I see with a weeks search in my weeks choices through the points system. I know the points resorts won't be in weeks through my points' account, but I see points resorts with my weeks, when I use my weeks' account. I don't see much in my points account, weeks' side. Confusing, huh?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure they're still offering that as a "Points Partners" option.

We had overripe points that were about to expire last year & had to use those to get some dumb Disney tickets rather than get nothing at all for them.

That was then. This is now.

So it goes.

Oh, darn. Now what am I going to do? Plane tickets? :shrug:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is confusing since RCI points are raiding the weeks side.

Manhattan, Massanutten? You should see weeks with a weeks search through points, but I sure don't see the same stuff I see with a weeks search in my weeks choices through the points system. I know the points resorts won't be in weeks through my points' account, but I see points resorts with my weeks, when I use my weeks' account. I don't see much in my points account, weeks' side. Confusing, huh?

I haven't heard much about it recently, but before I got into RCI Points, there were folks saying Points were raiding Weeks. So I thought that Points could see anything on the Weeks side if it was available. I guess Points does raid Weeks, but I guess not all of them.:confused:

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weeks, points, it's all so confusing!!!:wall:

I got someone in IT after I called the main points assistance line. I told the first rep that I couldn't see Manhattan Club inventory though others (RickandCindy) could. She then transferred me to someone in IT who told me I should only see the Manhattan Club in the standard points reservation NOT weeks reservation. So, I manually entered the code for the resort in the points side standard reservation and, voila, lots of Manhattan Club sightings. I would do the same thing for any other resort I wanted but couldn't see.

So this completely contradicts what RickandCindy just stated, that she only saw Manhattan Club on the weeks side. When I tried to enter the code on the weeks side, an error message came up to state it did not recognize the resort. I'm beginning to think I don't understand this system as well as I thought.

If you're wondering what to do with extra points, make a reservation for the Manhattan Club in Feb, March or April (lots of availability) and airfare (at least in beg Feb) on United is only $299 round trip. I made a reservation for Feb and April.

Last edited:

M. Henley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question??

When you are searching for weeks in a points account, you can only see weeks from those resorts which are not from Points resorts. Is this not correct?

My impression has always been that for a full inventory available you either must also search with a deposited week or call a VC.

:wall:

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you are searching for weeks in a points account, you can only see weeks from those resorts which are not from Points resorts. Is this not correct?

My impression has always been that for a full inventory available you either must also search with a deposited week or call a VC.

:wall:

Yes this is right. If you are looking for the Manhattan Club more than 10 months out with points you have to call a VG. If there is weeks inventory available you should be able to book it. If it it less than 10 months out you should see it available using a standard reservation. I find RCI Points quite easy to use.

Lynn

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score

I got someone in IT after I called the main points assistance line. I told the first rep that I couldn't see Manhattan Club inventory though others (RickandCindy) could. She then transferred me to someone in IT who told me I should only see the Manhattan Club in the standard points reservation NOT weeks reservation. So, I manually entered the code for the resort in the points side standard reservation and, voila, lots of Manhattan Club sightings. I would do the same thing for any other resort I wanted but couldn't see.

So this completely contradicts what RickandCindy just stated, that she only saw Manhattan Club on the weeks side. When I tried to enter the code on the weeks side, an error message came up to state it did not recognize the resort. I'm beginning to think I don't understand this system as well as I thought.

If you're wondering what to do with extra points, make a reservation for the Manhattan Club in Feb, March or April (lots of availability) and airfare (at least in beg Feb) on United is only $299 round trip. I made a reservation for Feb and April.

Thank you, Heidi. I'll give this a try and see what happens!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I don't see Manhattan Club with points at all. I only see it with my weeks account, which is a separate log-in from my points account. I use a Colorado summer week.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
If RCI has what it considers excess prime red weeks deposited, why should they exchange them to someone who deposited a blue dog week. It doesn't make sense. thsy can rent them out for money. They can't rent blue dog weeks(nobody wants them). RCI has a like for for like paradigm. why is this hard to understand

''Like for like'' is determined by the market, not by an arbitrary process where RCI puts its thumb on the scales for its own benefit to rent weeks to outsiders. If a red week sits on the shelf and doesn't get any takers, that simply means that the market has determined it is not as ''prime'' as some may think, and a trade for a blue may not be a trade up but an equal trade.

Like for like is a matter of supply and demand, and when it comes to overbuilt areas they have dishonestly deemed lots of excess weeks to be ''red'' and given them excess points in the point system. There is way too much politicking between developers and RCI on any part of the system that is published, whether it be color seasons or point values. Supply and demand within the exchange market is the only fair system to determine what is an equal trade, and those factors are dynamic, not fixed. The old Weeks system in the pre-rental days was indeed dynamic. Static systems are merely schemes by RCI to syphon off weeks to rent for its own profit.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I finally saw Manhattan Club for the first time tonight

I don't see Manhattan Club with points at all. I only see it with my weeks account, which is a separate log-in from my points account. I use a Colorado summer week.

Several weeks were available during the Jan-April 2009 timeframe under Points Standard reservation. Under Standard Reservation, I clicked on resorts and clicked on Manhattan Club and the availability came up. Thanks to Heidi, I was also able to pull up Massanutten resorts under Weeks using the Resort ID.:cheer: They still don't come up if I put in Southeast, Shenandoah Mountains. Also Mountainside Villas Resort ID 0174 shows as an invalid ID#. But I also found a resort with availability that I could never find availability for any more. It was previously a weeks resort and while fiddling around tonight I found it under Points. I like the fact that I do have the opportunity to get into weeks resorts that I might not otherwise be able to get into using a Weeks resort for exchanging or get into larger units I might not otherwise have the trade power to get. I love the last minute 7500-9000 points deals. It's a fairly new system for me and one I think I will be able to use to my advantage the more that I become familiar with it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WOW, good for you! And 1-in-4 is not supposed to apply to points reservation, done on the points (Standard Reservation) side. :D