• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

(2007 thread) Shell Vacation Club (SVC) Points Knowledge thread

CatLovers

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can accept the restrictions on elite but to downgrade an existing ownership is greedy and shows they are worried about resales. I guess the best way to accumulate points is to buy via Shell Western clubs which are points only systems.

I doubt that this is a downgrade of an existing ownership, more likely a deeded week that was never upgraded (or converted) to points. There is a fee to convert deeded weeks to points, and it can be pricey, which is why so many people balk at doing it. That's why most people recommend that you buy weeks that have already been converted to SVC points, or just buy points (on the resale market of course). I think you might have been misled by the person you purchased the points from (or perhaps they didn't understand the system either).

You can purchase SVC points in any of the home clubs, but the most common ones you'll find on sale are in the Hawaii, Western and Southwest home clubs. It's smart to buy your all your points in the same club (lower maintenance fees), and to select the club that contains resorts that you'll be visiting most often (preferred reservation window).

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Select Connections not available to those who have purchased points resale

In the Members Section of the SVC website is a section called "Select Connections" with a letter from the management of both systems announcing that you can use points from either system to access resorts in the other system. Basically, according to the map, it opens up the East Coast and Aruba to Shell owners, and the West Coast and Hawaii to Bluegreen owners.

Marty

This is part of the Lifestyles and Elite programs, and is therefore NOT available to people who have purchased their points resale.

aragonafamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shell Harbour Vacation Club questions - unknowns

I am in the process of purchasing Shell points through ebay and just found out that the points home base is Shell Harbour Vacation Club which is a floating marina/boats kind of a resort.

I searched for a review of the resort and could not find any and I also could not find the number of points needed to reserve this marina.

Could someone answer the following questions:

1. Have you ever stayed at this resort and if so, what was your experience?

2. How many points do I need to stay at this resort - 2 BR for a week?

3. Any special assessments that I need to be aware of?

Any additional information you may have and wish to share would be greatly appreciated.

Yvette

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with this 'resort', but the Points Chart section in the Shell website lays it out. Kinda weird....it looks like the points reqs. vary with the type of boat and I can't tell what that translates into regarding BR's. Will try to attach it.

Season Dates Unit type Fri-Sat Thu,Sun Mon-Wed Weekly
Platinum 5/29 - 8/27
ANTI 1450 1050 750 7250
BARB 1450 1050 750 7250
EASY 1100 800 600 5600
NEVA 1250 900 650 6250
VCAP 1450 1050 750 7250
VDM 1000 700 500 4900
VLJ 1000 700 500 4900
VSJ 1400 1000 750 7050

Gold 2/27 - 5/28
8/28 - 10/29
12/18 - 1/1
ANTI 1250 900 650 6250
BARB 1250 900 650 6250
EASY 1000 700 500 4900
NEVA 1100 800 600 5600
VCAP 1250 900 650 6250
VDM 850 600 450 4250
VLJ 850 600 450 4250
VSJ 1250 900 650 6250

Silver 1/2 - 2/26
10/30 - 12/17
ANTI 1150 800 600 5700
BARB 1150 800 600 5700
EASY 850 600 400 4100
NEVA 1000 700 500 4900
VCAP 1150 800 600 5700
VDM 600 450 300 3000
VLJ 600 450 300 3000
VSJ 1100 800 600 5600

Hope that makes some sense to you; it doesn't to me. You might want to contact the eBay seller about special assessments, etc. Then cross your fingers.

----Zach

mishugana

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought 1500 az points for 1 on ebay i was told that i can rent unlimited points for .25 within 60 days as im retired i can travel within 60 days

Papparaz

Reaction score
Best Value for SVC points

Do you get more value out of SVC points by booking at an SVC resort or is it better to use the SVC points for RCI listings?

I'm a SVC member looking for advice on the best way to get an unobstructed ocean view on the islands of Hawaii or Kuai in Jan-Feb '09. When we were purchasing the points the sales person said to call well in advance. Before I start calling SVC to book, it may be wise to hear from the people on this forum who know "the system".

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, you get better value for booking through the Shell system at their resorts. In SVC, you are an owner so you get priority. If you are a Hawaii Club owner, you can book 12 months out. Other clubs, you book 9 months out. At some resorts (like the Kauai Coast Resort), the ocean front units are restricted to members only. When you swap your points into RCI points, you are now in competition with everyone else in the system, and you are considered an exchanger at all the other resorts, so you may not be first in line for the best views, etc.

As owners, we booked 12 months out and spent two spectacular weeks in a 1-bedroom ocean-front unit at the Kauai Coast Resort last March. Absolute heaven! Obviously if you're looking to go to areas where there are no Shell resorts, then you have no choice. But if your area of choice has Shell resorts, it's a no-brainer, IMO.

I see that you want to go in Jan-Feb 09. You need to call NOW for the KCR as it may already be too late for the prime ocean-front units. All Hawaii Club owners would have booked back in Jan-Feb of this year. You may have to start thinking about 2010 if you want a unit with an incredible view.

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Season Dates Unit type Fri-Sat Thu,Sun Mon-Wed Weekly
Platinum 5/29 - 8/27
ANTI 1450 1050 750 7250

can someone explain the points system for Shell based on above point chart example:

1) fri-Sat - 1,450 points for 2 nights or per night?
2) Thu, Sun - 1,50 points per night?
3) Mon-Wed - 750 points per night?
4) Weekly - 7,250 for 7 nights?

i now own 7,000 pts purchased from ebay still in escrow and can't wait to use it next year.:whoopie:

thanks!

All the points are PER NIGHT. Also note that Thu, Sun is 1050 points per night (you have a typo). This point chart that you have cut/pasted is for one of the boats at the Harbor Vacations Club. Be aware that this is a hard one to get in high season if you do not own in the California club. Not impossible, just more difficult. If you can be flexible about date, and you call exactly nine months out, your odds of getting a week will be better. You can't book less than a full week until you are 120 days out or less.

duck_widow

Reaction score
Newbie with Shell Points Chart - How to attach it?

Hi,

I'm new here and received a Shell points chart from an eBay seller and it includes the new Vino Bella resort. I have it as a PDF. I'd love to share with you if you'd like it. How do I attach a file?

Thanks,
-Kathy

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you notice in your recent statement that your fee has increased? In addition there is also a ARDA ROC (voluntary) fee of $3.00. It appears the SVC billing practice is questionable. If it is a voluntary fee, then why there is no way for owner to opt out of it?

Yup, saw the price increase. Also read through the financial statements and explanation. Hate price increases of any sort, but we really like the luxury of the SVC resorts, so we are okay with it. Still a bargain for what we get (but we boought our points resale).

The ARDA fee is voluntary and you CAN opt out of it. We won't be paying it (the bill isn't due till December 31). Btw, we own Shell Hawaii.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hate price increases of any sort, but we really like the luxury of the SVC resorts, so we are okay with it. Still a bargain for what we get (but we bought our points resale).

The ARDA fee is voluntary and you CAN opt out of it. We won't be paying it (the bill isn't due till December 31). Btw, we own Shell Hawaii.

Methinks you've hit on the essence of Shell benefits - the nature of the SVC resorts (not necessarily the 'affiliates' or whatever. We just returned from 3 wks of island-hopping, and the RCI-related trades were nice, but not close to the Shell properties. FOR OUR TASTES, they're ''just right''. Unfortunately we didn't buy resale (it was before we were aware of TUG). Thanks for the tip about opting out of the additional fees; we're in no mood to pay extra.

Question: We did attend the mandatory SVC presentation and my wife asked, point blank, about the differences between resale and dealer points (we knew about the Elite status and something else). We got sort of a broad, fuzzy non-answer. I don't think we need to add any points, but wondering if you've had - or heard of - ANY difficulties with Shell because of owning resale points.

Aloha,

Zach

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
... but wondering if you've had - or heard of - ANY difficulties with Shell because of owning resale points.

We have had no difficulties at all. We book 1-2 big vacations a year, and usually 2-3 weekend (or part week) trips to San Francisco and Napa. As you already know, you cannot access the Shell Lifestyle and Shell Elite benefits (no great loss from my perspective). In addition to what they list on the website, the other things we "lose" out on are delivery of weekday morning paper to our room (bummer! :) ) and we have to pay $25 for each transaction after the first two. For the price difference, I can handle it! The one big recent difference is that we cannot access the system that allows us to do internal trades with Bluegreen. That's too bad as it would have been a nice benefit, but again, not worth the thousands we saved by buying resale.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two regular weeks at Suites at Fisherman's Wharf and I also have a small (2500pt) SVC points. At the last owners' update, they offer to convert my regular weeks to SVC points for free. :O!! My annual maintenance fee at Fisherman's Wharf just skyrocketed to $1150 (?) per week a year because of their plans to refurbish the unit. I'm starting to think that the costs of points is not so bad and am considering converting one of my weeks.

1) Can anyone tell me how many points I get for ONE week at Fisherman's Wharf? I think it was like 4500 points, but not sure.

2) Can I combine the points from Fisherman's Wharf with my small pt account?

3) How much will be the new maintenance fee of the combine account? I'm guessing around 7000 points.

4) Can I book one week at Fisherman's Wharf (using points) and deposit this week at SFX?

Thanks Everyone!

#1. 4500 is probably close; it would seem reasonable that they would give you however many points it takes to rent the unit for a week. But you may need to negotiate with them.
#2 . I'm sure you can
#3. I think you can calculate that out but check the Shell website for details. I know it's .25 per point for the first 2000 points (ie. $500), then drops. Pretty sure the info. is in the site
#4. My guess is yes, but I'll be watching for anything you find out because we'd like to do the same with some of our Shell Hawaii points.

--------Zach

blr666

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I called and spoke with the Sales Manager yesterday and he said there's nothing free these days, so I guess the offer to convert for free is over. He was annoyed that I didn't want to spend anymore money.

duck_widow

Reaction score
Exchange Question - Weeks for Points

I've been tempted to buy a week at Kona Coast. We've stayed there before and really liked it. My question is that if I owned a 'regular' week at Kona Coast would I be able to trade that for a week at another Shell resort such as Dolphin's Cove or Vino Bello? Vino Bello requires mega points for a stay.

BTW - I still have a points chart in PDF format. I'd love to share. Anyone know who to attach a file?

Thanks!

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess would be that one needs to be a member of SVC - and this may require points rather than weeks - to make the straight trades. On the other hand I would think that Kona Coast (great place) would trade easily on TUG, DAE, or the others. Interesting question, and perhaps best asked of the Shell people through the Shell website.

------Zach

talez

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. When you buy more points from the same home club does it increase your Maintenance fee?

There's no point to buying points from developer since it's usually very costly. Can I buy a Shell West contract (3500pts) from Ebay, and get a total of 7000 for the same use year?

For example, I have shell west at 3500 pts/yr starting Feb 1st every year. Do I have to make sure the contract (I will be buying) also starts on Feb 1st every year to ensure a total of 7000 pts/yr starting every Feb 1st?

Last edited:

pfaff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your maintenance fee will increase if you purchase more points. The fees for Shell West are calculated as follows (2009) if you want 7000 points: It is $315 dollars for the first 1350 points, it is Shell's flat rate. Then $0.161 for all points after. Shell West's club fee is 147.50. So for 7000 points it would be $1372.50

7000-1350= 5650 x $0.161= $909.65 + $315= $1224.65 + $147.50= $1372.15

This is not the same for Hawaii, Arizona, Mexico, etc. They all have different flat rate pricing and point amounts but are all figured out the same way.

If you buy ebay points you will have a new use year unless the points for sale are the same month or months before. Based on your current use year; if you purchase a January or February contract your use year stays the same starting Feb 1st. If you buy a contract that has a later use year like December your whole contract including your original points gets pushed back to December 1st.

Be aware that many ebay points are for different home clubs and many times the seller is unaware of use year and home club information. I have been lied to from some of the sellers that are selling SVC points. They are unaware of home clubs and simply state that it doesn't matter because to them points are points. Usually the sellers that are selling many Svc point contracts are post card companies that could care less about correct information as long as they can get rid of a contract. You can tell of the post card sellers because each auction looks like a template that has point values just put in with generalized resort pictures.

If you buy resale the resale points are not eligible for all the bells and whistles such as select connections, shop Svc, etc. The points can only be used for Shell resort stays and RCI trades.

I only know this information because I ask tons of questions at owners updates and actually go over my contract over and over. I do go to the updates because I want more information as not much makes sense when you first start. I believe they make it confusing so you think that the low point values you are buying can get you everything but then reality sets in. I avoid the hard sell at all costs no matter what they try to offer as incentives. However, it is nice to get freebies they throw in for going. In addition I absolutely do not buy more points because I now know about the resale market and what our points are truly worth. Like many here I found out about tug after my rescind period was over but I am trying to make the most out of it. I hope that I can help out others as well as Shell isn't that big here.

Last edited:

pfaff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting points can easily be done if you meet these rules to qualify. Here is a cut and paste from Shell's website concerning renting points.

Renting

In some cases you may be able to rent additional points from Shell Vacations Club. This is called "renting" points and it is governed by these rules.

A. You cannot rent points more than sixty (60) days before the check-in day of a use period.

B. At any given time, Shell Vacations Club may not have any points to rent or it may choose not to rent any points it may have.

C. Shell Vacations Club will set the price for renting points and may change the price from time to time. Payment by credit card will be required for renting points.

D. Shell Vacations Club may set other conditions for renting points. For example, if you rent points but decide not to use them, you may be entitled to a refund subject to the Shell Vacations Club cancellation policy.

E. Rental Pricing
EFFECTIVE: 2/10/03
Price Per Point (USD)
< 2,000 = $0.25/pt
2,000-3,450 = $0.23/pt
3,500-4,950 = $0.21/pt
5,000-7,450 = $0.19/pt
7,500-19,950 = $0.18/pt
20,000-29,950 = $0.17/pt
>30,000=$0.165/pt

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
They also have something called "Dash-Away Deals". These are last-minute (14 days or less) point rentals for periods of UP TO six days. A good deal if you live within driving distance (can't usually make flight arrangements in that timeframe) of where you want to go. These can also be good for extensions, provided you have other lodging as backup. Those points are $.15 ea.

Zach

kingjer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shell Points

If I buy a Shell points contract (resale) for say 1,250 points in California resorts, then later buy another contract (resale) for 2,500 points in Arizona resorts, will Shell let me combine those accounts into a single California account?

I understand that if I buy multiple California accounts (resale or not) that Shell will let me combine those accounts, but don't really understand across groups.

Thanks.

pfaff

TUG Member
Reaction score
California points and Arizona points are different prices per point. They are not interchangeable. Maintenance fees are different for all the Shell home clubs, Hawaii points and fees are the highest. Its best to stick to just one club. In addition there is a fee for multiple clubs every year tacked on to your dues if you were to join multiple clubs.

kingjer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

How far in advance can you book stays that are not a full week? Like a 4 night vacation and use only 4 night's worth of points? I heard it was only 4 months in advance. Is that true? Is there any home resort priority when booking shorter stays?

starlifter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are all SVC Maintenance Fees due the first of the year no matter what the points anniversary date is? That is, are May points annual fees due Jan or May?

pfaff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Payment is due in January regardless of when your anniversary date is. However, you can elect to make payments on your dues monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or in full. You will have to pay a fee if not paid in full in January.