• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] Resort Consulting Group & Chalet High

Ubil

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a letter that I received today.

"Dear Chalet High/Creekside Village Owners,

This letter is to inform you that, due to changes in the timeshare/vacation ownership industry, and current economic conditions, decisions will be made shortly which will impact your property owners association.

Since your ownership conveys certain responsibilities and financial obligations to you and/ or your family, Resort Consulting Group has been asked by your Board of Directors to schedule interviews with all owners, the purpose of which is to provide you with any information you will need to make intelligent, logical decisions regarding your timeshare. Please bring your purchase contract, paperwork, etc. with you.

As time is of the essence please call to confirm your appointment at (540) 209-0920 Monday-Friday 10AM - 6PM or Saturday 11AM - 3 PM. Please be advised that due to heavy call volume your call may be routed to voicemail. Your call will be returned in the order in which it was received.

With Regards,
Chalet High/Creekside Village Owners association

RE: Ken Cates
Resort Consulting Group"

Anyone know anything about Resort Consulting Group or Ken Cates?

Any other Chalet High/Creekside Village owners out there who have any success whatsoever in getting information out of the "Chalet High/Creekside Village Owners association"?

In the past, whenever I have tried to get basic info, such as yearly budget, members of the BOD, etc, they always said (on the few times that I was actually able to speak with someone, and I have never gotten a response to letters) that they were still under developer control and wouldn't respond.

Last edited by a moderator:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Doing a a quick Google on the firm name indicates they are in Helendale, CA, very close to Silver Lakes Country Club.

You need to pray to every deity you can summon that the folks that run Silver Lakes haven't gotten their slithering tentacles into your resort.

dwsupt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound good.....

Sounds like one of two things. 1) the old "owners update" so we can switch you routine, or 2) your resort has been sold and for a lump of money we will make everything o.k again.
Bring your paperwork- but leave the checkbook at home!
:crash:

jay37

Reaction score
This is a letter that I received today.

"Dear Chalet High/Creekside Village Owners,

This letter is to inform you that, due to changes in the timeshare/vacation ownership industry, and current economic conditions, decisions will be made shortly which will impact your property owners association.

Since your ownership conveys certain responsibilities and financial obligations to you and/ or your family, Resort Consulting Group has been asked by your Board of Directors to schedule interviews with all owners, the purpose of which is to provide you with any information you will need to make intelligent, logical decisions regarding your timeshare. Please bring your purchase contract, paperwork, etc. with you.

As time is of the essence please call to confirm your appointment at (540) 209-0920 Monday-Friday 10AM - 6PM or Saturday 11AM - 3 PM. Please be advised that due to heavy call volume your call may be routed to voicemail. Your call will be returned in the order in which it was received.

With Regards,
Chalet High/Creekside Village Owners association

RE: Ken Cates
Resort Consulting Group"

Anyone know anything about Resort Consulting Group or Ken Cates?

Any other Chalet High/Creekside Village owners out there who have any success whatsoever in getting information out of the "Chalet High/Creekside Village Owners association"?

In the past, whenever I have tried to get basic info, such as yearly budget, members of the BOD, etc, they always said (on the few times that I was actually able to speak with someone, and I have never gotten a response to letters) that they were still under developer control and wouldn't respond.

I received the same letter several months ago, this was the first round. I just got it again today. I made the appointment and went to the meeting the first time. Mr. Cates did all the talking, Chalet had nothing to do with the discussion other than it being held in their office above the pool. Basically what Ken Cates said is that Chalet High is out of money and he was hired to save the company. There are two options:

1. Sign over your timeshare to Ultimate Escape (or something like that) that Resort Consulting Group has no affiliation with (yeah right). Mr Cates says that he only comes in and advises troubled timeshare resorts and he stands to gain nothing whether you buy or not. This is how his so called deal of a lifetime works: For $8000 (in my case) you get to use this Ultimate Escape (I can't remeber the actual name), and you can use it anywhere and there is no property deed so there are no maintenance fees. They will buy your timeshare at fire sale price then you give them $8000 or more and get to vacation all ovr the place... WOW!! where do I sign up?? :hysterical:

or:

2. They are going to have all the owners vote on more than doubling the maintenance fees. In my case I would go from $400 to $850. Mr. Cates swears that he already has the votes to make this happen (Its a threat to force you to buy this vacation escape crap or pay more for the rest of your life). Either way... you are going to pay more!

I am upset that I can't remember the name of the getaway company, if you go to this presentation post the name of the company here, I am not going to bother responding to this second letter that I got. They never gave a website for the great escape (or whatever the name of the company was) so I called Ken Cates after I left and he gave me the web address and said that it wouldn't come up on Google or Yahoo search for some reason that I can't remember now, I do remember that it sounded ridiculous to me. I did some research on the website, which was really cheap looking and offered no info at all if you're not a member... so in other words, buy first. It was just a shell page with a member login link... absolutely nothing about the company or the program. I then did a WHOIS domain lookup and found that the website was created about 1 month before I went to the meeting and was registered by a guy in California. hmm??

There are so many red flags. This letter that I received today tells me to call (540)209-0920 and there is a disclaimer 'Please be advised that due to heavy call volume your call may be routed to voicemail'. When I call the answering machine says Resort Consulting and it always goes to voicemail. Last time I was directed to set the appointment up through Chalet High. I guess they now turned everything over to Mr. Cates.

I still have Mr. Cates business card. Here is the contact info:

Resort Consulting Group
685 Flower Drive
McGaheyville, VA 22840

Ken Cates
On-site Consultant
(843)603-0083

resortconsultinggroup@gmail.com

843 is a South Carolina area code. And a gmail account??? Very fishy!!

Resort Consulting Group's website, resortconsultinggroup.net, has been under constrution since I looked at months ago. The website was created on Jan 29, 2009 and the web page says they have been in business since 1994.This type of business and still no website?? The registered owner is James Mason from Harrisonburg VA. The vacation website that was being peddled was created around the same time, I think Dec. 08'.

If you go to the meeting post the name of the vacation getaway company.

P.S. scam or no scam I am furious with Chalet High!! I wish I never brought this crappy timeshare!!

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps though.

Last edited:

cellman54

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Colonies At Williamsburg
Chalet High and Resort Consulting Group

I attended a meeting with Resort Consulting Group on 5/8/09 about Chalet High. Here is what they presented to me.

Options

1. Keep timeshare and ride out the storm.

60% chance of a turnaround in the next 18 months, otherwise bankruptcy. In that case, property owners are liable for the 15% delinquency (700 owners) unpaid fees. National average is 4% delinquency.

One of the pedestal homes burnt down. The home owner’s association management had the wrong type of insurance, in which the home owners association was paid for the loss but not the actual 52 homeowners. Looking at possible law suits against the home owners association. That is us, so we could be charged additional fees to reimburse their loss.

Surveys by people you have traded into Chalet High are very negative (upkeep and appearance, leaks do to roof damage, old and worn-out appliances, lack of amenities such as an entertainment director). These surveys are used by RCI and II to rate time share locations, if a time share location goes below the national average by a certain number of points, the time share location owners are no longer able to trade outside their own time share. Chalet High is in a couple of points of that happening. It appears that the Home Owners Association Management has been inept in their management of Chalet High.

Costs of repair and maintenance have increase over the years. The national average for maintenance fees are $750.00 and will be increasing.

Cost analysis of fees:
Yearly maintenance fee at present time, most likely will go up in the future.
2009 $550.00
2010 $650.00
2011 $750.00
2012 $750.00
2013 $750.00 total for 5 years is $3,450.00

Interval International yearly fee-$120.00 x 5 = $600.00
Trade processing fee $164.00 x 5 = $820.00
Total for 5 years: $3,450.00
$600.00
$820.00
$4,870.00

2. Sell to E Valley L.L.C. (Internet based E-Bay seller and holding company with a local office in Harrisonburg Va.) Licensee of Infinite Escape software used to find vacation rentals.
They offer rentals at a discount not ownership, so there is no homeowner liability there.

Multi License Plan
$9,990.00 Onetime fee
-$7,000.00 For my time share
$2,900.00
+$275.00 legal processing fee
$3,265.00 Total

Individual License Plan
$9,490.00 Onetime fee
-$7,000.00 For my timeshare
$2,490.00
+275.00 Legal processing fee
$2,765.00 Total

There is a yearly membership and software licensing fee of $189.00.

Multi License means up to four individuals can have a copy of the software so as to let them plan their vacations and only one individual can have the software under the Individual Plan.

Each year the plan gives the following reward points:
Hotel rewards $2000.00
Condo rewards $4000.00
Cruise rewards $2000.00

Rentals less than 60 days out are considered short term and run between $299 and $399 a week. Those that are beyond 60 days out are premium and run $700.00 to $900.00. The rewards points are used to reduce the price of the rental. I’ll give to examples of real rentals from online.

The Villas at Fairway Retail: $1450.00
Bushkill, Pennsylvania Rewards: $1151.00
Short term condo (less than 60 days out) Price: $299.00

Pinecliff Village
Ruidoso, New Mexico
Select condos (premium, more than 60 days out) Retail: $1395.00
Rewards: $714.00
Price: $682.00

Userid: 440742
Password: guest
Email: (you may be able to use yours)

I did a followup with the BBB of Harrisonburg Va online and found E Valley L.L.C. (Infinite Escape software) is owned by James Mason who is also the registered owner of resortconsultinggroup.net

Hope this helps

Last edited:

boss

Reaction score
Resort Consulting Group

The info about this group and it's purpose was eye-opening. I called this week to find out what was going on and was told to attend a meeting. I figured I should try to find out the info under cover and now I see why they won't tell you anything over the phone, Does anyone have any ideas about what course of action to take as owners of Chalet High?

glennmc77

Reaction score
RCG and Chalet High - Redux

I concur with what prior posters have said about RCG. The appointments are a medium-hard sell of this software deal for $10,000 (minus the inflated price for your timeshare), plus a $189 annual maint fee. I'm a Software developer and decided to pass on it. No individual user software, to me, is worth 10,000. Now as to what to do?

I've also given lots of presentations, and know that a good presenter can make even Hell (yes THAT one) look attractive.

At our first pitch, my wife & I walked. (We may have a second coming up this weekend). So did another couple. We're in our 50s.

I posed the question "What if I just don't pay the increased fees or additional assessments, and let the property go to forecloseure?"
Then came more gory-scare tactics. About the prospects of getting a Real Estate loan when I have a RE foreclosure on my record. We (and the other couple that walked) realized that "We already own our house, own our cars, and are relatively comfortable/stable where we are" . . . How much can "THEY" impact on our credit which is already incredibly high? It would be, after all, foreclosure on a Timeshare! THUS - We took a pass on the great deal for Infinite Escape (or whatever).

As to the "Why I Ever Bought . . . .?" comment above.
We didn't buy as an 'investment'. We bought as an (ultimately) modertely priced vacation/retreat. I like using the property as a 4 or a 7 day retreat every year (we are there during Presidents Day Weekend). My wife paints, and it gives her time to do some painting. I don't need to be entertained, but that's me. A little skiing, a little pool time, alot of R&R.

What to do now, and what RCG or Chalet High will be doing for/with us?
Who knows. I intend to ride out the storm and see what happens.

ctyatty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sony makes some very good quality small digital recorders which fit in a shirt pocket and will record anything said in the room.

Maybe document what these folks are representing.

Of course, it appears that either the management or HOA board had to invite these people in. What "incentives" are being paid to who?

The HOA owes a duty to the homeowners. Has anyone checked to see if the HOA board or manager have errors and omissions insurance to cover them for not purchasing replacement cost type insurance?

Last edited:

mountaineer

Reaction score
How long did it take you to get a user name and ID for Infinite Escapes? We went for our 'meeting' on June 28th and have not received anything yet. I suspect they are waiting for the 7 day grace period (we have to 'change our minds' and stop payment) before they give us any information that we can use.

Bill4728

Reaction score
How long did it take you to get a user name and ID for Infinite Escapes? We went for our 'meeting' on June 28th and have not received anything yet. I suspect they are waiting for the 7 day grace period (we have to 'change our minds' and stop payment) before they give us any information that we can use.
If you have a 7 day grace period to stop the sale of your TS ( or convertion to this "Infinite Escapes") I jump on it right now.

Rescind if you can.

If the TS goes belly up. You lost your TS but no other money. If you pay $10,000 to "up grade to Infinite Escapes", you've lost your TS and an additional $10,000.

I would never think of doing it.

Ubil

TUG Member
Reaction score
Annual Report and Meeting Minutes

I just got off the phone with Creekside Village/Chalet High "Corporate Office".
I called the phone number listed on their letterhead - (540) 856-2125, and the person I spoke with said that I would have to call the "Corporate Office" at (540) 856-3049, which I did immediately.

I have been promised the Owners Association Annual Report and the Board of Directors meeting minutes by next week.

We'll see.

BearsFan315

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort Conlting Group, Inc.

Well guys I myself have receivedthis letter, and then actually stayed at Chalet High In July, these guys actually stopped by the unit to talk to us, and made their presence known on the resort, they were always around, and were even at the gatherings/ events.

Today I received my second & final letter from them, as is states I will receive NO further contact from them, as this fulfills their obligation to the association. I have the letter, and can post if needed.

My thoughts are if they buy out/ transfer your timeshare to whomever, who is going to pay the maintenance fee ?? how is it helping the resort by them buying them out ?? doesthis not transfer money from the resort to this company ?? What are they going to do with all the vacant unit/ weeks they buy out ?? seems like this would further in debt the resort, as they lose owners therfore losing money ( maintenance fees ).

I can say we were some what dissappointed this year, as we no longer have access to the outdoor pool, would have to pay a fee either daily or weekly. been going there for nine years now, and nothing new, exciting, to attract keep the people. units have not been upgraded, nor their furnishings !! The area is beautiful & tranquil.

We are riding it out for now, but not sure what to do...

Bill4728

Reaction score
My thoughts are if they buy out/ transfer your timeshare to whomever, who is going to pay the maintenance fee ?? how is it helping the resort by them buying them out ?? doesthis not transfer money from the resort to this company ?? What are they going to do with all the vacant unit/ weeks they buy out ?? seems like this would further in debt the resort, as they lose owners therfore losing money ( maintenance fees ).

I can say we were some what dissappointed this year, as we no longer have access to the outdoor pool, would have to pay a fee either daily or weekly. been going there for nine years now, and nothing new, exciting, to attract keep the people. units have not been upgraded, nor their furnishings !! The area is beautiful & tranquil.

We are riding it out for now, but not sure what to do...
The best advice I can give you is to do what your doing "We are riding it out for now"
Do not buy or pay anything to anyone. If the TS goes under, you've lost your TS but will at least have no more MFs.

Good Luck to all of you.

Ubil

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much would the outdoor pool have cost? Did access to the lake also go away? We didn't go this year, so didn't know that this had happened. Any other changes?

Above I posted that I had asked for the financial report and meeting minutes. I called again a week ago and asked when they were going to be sent to me. They said that they would send the budget to me, and requested that I look at it before determining what else I needed.

Surprise! The budget actually showed up yesterday. It is 1 page, so doesn't have a lot of detail. I'll have to digest it for a few days. Some things that it does not have, that are required by Virginia timesharing law to be in a yearly financial report:
1. Reserve fund balance (the budget does have an amount that supposedly is going into the reserve fund this year)
2. Director names
3. CVOA directors meeting minutes

One of the major reasons that we should insist on legally required reporting and accouting is to make sure that the units/weeks that are getting purchased continue to pay the yearly maintenance fee, as well as to have some assurance that the increased maintenance fees are being used to maintain/improve the property.

Did you also see that the latest letter said that the yearly maintenance fees had gone up again? It didn't say what the new fee is. I hope that it was merely referring to the increase for 2009.

lhboss1

Reaction score
Final Letter dated August 3, 2009

When I couldn't get anyone to answer why I was receiving the letters from Ken Cates, I made a call and left a message on the voice mail. I then received almost daily calls which I ignored. Now I've received the "final notice" which I will also ignore. Is there any chance that the whole Chalet High/Creekside Village complex could be sold to a developer? Wouldn't there be some buy-out for timeshare owners? We bought way back in the early-mid 80's and own three weeks "free and clear." We get a bit back against our maintenance fees each year as we indicate our units are available for rent.

santa

Reaction score
creekside timeshare owner

We got our timeshare june 2004 unit39 a&b wk 19 it was supposed to be built within a year. It is not even been started its been 5 years! we never received a time share magizine we did receive a letter from resort consulting group. We went to this meeting sat aug. 8 @noon. They wanted us to pay $3265.00 to give up our ownership to eValley LLC. Chase Heatwole said creekside timeshares were being sold on ebay for $1.oo. after getting on the computer the complaints came up we had no idea other people were having the same problems we were having. Please let us know any information or who to contact about creekside timeshare.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Whoa - this is wrong!

We got our timeshare june 2004 unit39 a&b wk 19 it was supposed to be built within a year. It is not even been started its been 5 years! we never received a time share magizine we did receive a letter from resort consulting group. We went to this meeting sat aug. 8 @noon. They wanted us to pay $3265.00 to give up our ownership to eValley LLC. Chase Heatwole said creekside timeshares were being sold on ebay for $1.oo. after getting on the computer the complaints came up we had no idea other people were having the same problems we were having. Please let us know any information or who to contact about creekside timeshare.

If it was never built are you PAYING for it? Fees? What are they giving you to use each year? Pay to give t up? Thats crazy. More details please.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chalet High/Creekside Village (Toll Free) 1-800-296-3049

So many first time guest/posters

jay37

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 29, 09

cellman54

BBS Reg. Date: May 10, 09

boss

BBS Reg. Date: May 19, 09

glennmc77

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 24, 09

mountaineer

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 28, 09

BearsFan315

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 7, 09

lhboss1

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 9, 09

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
If you visit the Eastern Region forum, you will see some similarities between what is being reported here and the actions of Festiva/Outfield at the Southcape and Sandcastle resorts.

It appears to be a trend developing. Someone steps in takes some action to obtain some control over the resort (or threatens to). They then begin marketing a conversion program to owners to convert their deeded ownership to membership in a points program. Using scare tactics to get owners to upgrade their deeded week to pts. They make statements that converting is the only way to avoid the huge m/f increases that will be coming down the line.

For every owner that takes the bait, they get more and more control of the resort, since they end up controlling the voting power of the converted week. When they accumulate enough weeks, they then will effectively control the resort.

You should consider organizing a concerned owners group. If nothing else, that group just needs to act as watchdog to ensure that owner rights are not violated.

santa

Reaction score
If it was never built are you PAYING for it? Fees? What are they giving you to use each year? Pay to give t up? Thats crazy. More details please.

Yes, we have paid for both timeshares in full and pay maintance fee's on both every year. They have let us stay in the condo's that are finished until ours is built.
We are just looking to get out it has been a night mare since we got them. The problem is you would think when you invest in a timeshare that when you no longer want it you would atleast break even not have to pay another $3200.00 to get out. This is our first timeshare purchase and when dealing with creekside you get the run around. Any help or Any wise words would be much appreaciated on where do we go and what do we do from here?

We heard there are court cases againt them does anyone know more information about this?

Thanks, Santa

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we have paid for both timeshares in full and pay maintance fee's on both every year. They have let us stay in the condo's that are finished until ours is built.
We are just looking to get out it has been a night mare since we got them. The problem is you would think when you invest in a timeshare that when you no longer want it you would atleast break even not have to pay another $3200.00 to get out. This is our first timeshare purchase and when dealing with creekside you get the run around. Any help or Any wise words would be much appreaciated on where do we go and what do we do from here?

We heard there are court cases againt them does anyone know more information about this?

Thanks, Santa

I think you need to take a very close look at the contract you signed. Hopefully there is a non-performance clause that will allow you out as the developer has failed to build your unit.

tlsbooks

TUG Member
Reaction score
So many first time guest/posters

That's because this thread is the 3rd item when you do a Google search of Chalet High/Creekside Village. Not an owner but I sincerely hope that this thread keeps many, many people from paying to upgrade to that "vacation club".

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a resort we considered buying resale a few years ago. It had low mf. I know it has few amenities. I wanted to stay there first to see if we liked it and haven't had the chance. Sure glad we didn't buy. What a mess.

santa

Reaction score
Thank you every one for your replies and help. If we figure something out I will be sure to post to keep you all updated in hope that it will help the many others in my situation. I'll have to search our contract to see if there is a way out.