• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite Night Credit???

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me what "Elite Night Credit" is?? Marriott just informed me that they cannot credit my 2 week stay @ Ocean Pointe in Feb/March 2008 b/c they changed their policy in June, 2008 & my stay was prior to that. They told me that as of June 2008, they are awarding "Elite Night Credit". So, why can't I get "normal" credit for my Pre-Elite Night stays @ Marriott Ocean Pointe? I am so confused by this point thing! I own 2 Platinum weeks @ Ocean Pointe.

Smooth Air:cool:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I wrong, but I thought that each night you stay is a credit toward your elite staus - essentially an "elite night credit". 10 for silver, 50 for gold, and 75 for platinum.

Terry

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Correct. There is no "regular" credit.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree. There are no Marriott Rewards points associated with Elite night credit. The only value of the credit to your account is toward counting the number of nights you stay at Marriott properties to qualify for Elite status in the Marriott Rewards program.

Prior to June, only (1) paid stays at Marriott branded hotels and (2) MVCI rentals from Marriott were counted for Elite night credit. Effective as of June 2008, stays in your owned week(s) at your home resort are also counted. Stays prior to June do not count.

There was no change to the structure for earning Marriott Rewards points. Thus, both before and after June, you should have earned Marriott Rewards points based on charges you incur at both Marriott hotels and timeshares.

If our responses don't fully answer your question, try again....

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To add. I had 7 nights credit added on a 7 night stay at a Marriott timeshare (which I do not own) that I exchanged into throu II in late August. I have heard that these slip through the cracks sometimes.

In mid June I traded a non-Marriott into a Marriott resort which I do own and DID NOT get the credits. I even tried the "missing credit" route and Marriott still wouldn't give it to me.

Are you confused yet? :D

Terry

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's why it's always worthwhile to be sure our MR # is part of the reservation and to doublecheck that it's there when we check in. As you stated and as has been reported on this forum, Marriott does sometimes give elite credit when it shouldn't.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Ditto

I do the same as Dave - always show my MCVI card and have them add the number when I check-in. Particularly since Marriot stopped giving MCVI owners free Silver Rewards membership.

Recvd credit for my last visits in Nov 08 @ Grand Chateau and the Grand Residence at Lake Tahoe. At the Surf Club now, will see if they do the same here.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can somebody please tell me what "Elite Night Credit" is?? Marriott just informed me that they cannot credit my 2 week stay @ Ocean Pointe in Feb/March 2008 b/c they changed their policy in June, 2008 & my stay was prior to that. They told me that as of June 2008, they are awarding "Elite Night Credit". So, why can't I get "normal" credit for my Pre-Elite Night stays @ Marriott Ocean Pointe? I am so confused by this point thing! I own 2 Platinum weeks @ Ocean Pointe.

There isn't a "normal" night credit vs elite night credit. Each night spent at Marriott hotels gives you an Elite Night Credit. This is a credit towards elite status within the MR program. As Dave mentioned, getting them to add nights after the fact is difficult. Always make sure to add your MR number to your reservation online at Marriott.com.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Recvd credit for my last visits in Nov 08 @ Grand Chateau and the Grand Residence at Lake Tahoe. At the Surf Club now, will see if they do the same here.

Do you own at Grand Chateau? We stayed there November 08 also and did not receive credit (traded in thru II), but own at other Marriotts. My husband's MR number was aligned to the reservation. We didn't charge anything, maybe that helps.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do the same as Dave - always show my MCVI card and have them add the number when I check-in. Particularly since Marriot stopped giving MCVI owners free Silver Rewards membership.

I add all my MVCI reservations online months before ever arriving. I even add the stays which I trade into. Example, I just traded a Christie Lodge AC for a winter week at MBP. I added this stay to my account, which then allowed me to add things like extra pillows and high floor requests.

By doing this online I can see all my upcoming trips (hotels and timeshares) in front of my face in my marriott.com account.

Terry

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I add all my MVCI reservations online months before ever arriving. I even add the stays which I trade into. Example, I just traded a Christie Lodge AC for a winter week at MBP. I added this stay to my account, which then allowed me to add things like extra pillows and high floor requests.

By doing this online I can see all my upcoming trips (hotels and timeshares) in front of my face in my marriott.com account.

Terry

How do you do this?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you do this?

On your II trade Confirmation Certificate you can see your Marriott Reservation Number on the right side of the page. Here are instructions to add this reservation to your Marriott account.

Log in to your Marriott.com acount and click the tab that says, "Upcoming Reservations." Enter the above mentioned reservation number and your last name. Then click "find." On this page you will see your Marriott resort reservation and room type.

Near the bottom, this page will also give you a link to "Add a Marriott Rewards Number" to the reservation. Click this and add your number. Your reservations will now show up on your Marriott.com account.

You should be able to now see your room type as well.

Terry

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
On your II trade Confirmation Certificate you can see your Marriott Reservation Number on the right side of the page. Here are instructions to add this reservation to your Marriott account.

Log in to your Marriott.com acount and click the tab that says, "Upcoming Reservations." Enter the above mentioned reservation number and your last name. Then click "find." On this page you will see your Marriott resort reservation and room type.

Near the bottom, this page will also give you a link to "Add a Marriott Rewards Number" to the reservation. Click this and add your number. Your reservations will now show up on your Marriott.com account.

You should be able to now see your room type as well.

Terry

Thank you.

I was successful in adding my upcoming trip.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
No

Do you own at Grand Chateau?

No, I do not. Own at HarbourPoint. My stay at Grand Chateau was a trade for a non-Marriott week, but my stay at Tahoe was an exchange of my Marriott week.

I do recall reading in another thread that you had to have a charge to your room to receive credit. Last night I was there I bought something at the Marketplace shop. That might be the difference.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
No, I do not. Own at HarbourPoint. My stay at Grand Chateau was a trade for a non-Marriott week, but my stay at Tahoe was an exchange of my Marriott week.

I do recall reading in another thread that you had to have a charge to your room to receive credit. Last night I was there I bought something at the Marketplace shop. That might be the difference.

I kept meaning buy a snack at the Marketplace or a drink at the rooftop bar, but never got around to it. If that kept us from getting the 7-nights credit, that hurts. We'll be at Grande Ocean on a trade over New Year's, I'll definitely buy something and see what happens.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they mean you get credit (points) for what you buy...not that if you buy something you get credit (points) for the 7 nights...but, hey! what the heck do I know? I started this thread & I am still "in conversation" w/ Marriott!!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think they mean you get credit (points) for what you buy...not that if you buy something you get credit (points) for the 7 nights...but, hey! what the heck do I know? I started this thread & I am still "in conversation" w/ Marriott!!

I think the thought process here is that if you dont' have any charges to the room, then the resort doesn't have anything to report to the MR program so they don't send any data and you don't get the night credits. Many people leave a TS with zero due on their bill. If you at least charge something to the room then they report that amount for points credit and you then in turn also get the elite night credits.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you at least charge something to the room then they report that amount for points credit and you then in turn also get the elite night credits.
I would word the last part of that sentence as follows....

...and you then in turn might also erroneously get the elite night credits.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody confused? BTW, I never did receive any notice from Marriott about the Elite Night Credit policy effective June, 2008? Did you?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There was no formal notice. Marriott made a change to the Marriott Rewards T&C back in June that deleted language that had previously excluded stays at MVCI resorts as qualifying for Elite nights credit.

See this thread, especially the first post, for more info.

If you're still confused, ask your questions and we'll try to help.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
This helps me understand how I accumulated 39 elite nights so far this year. I didn't think I paid for that many nights. Now I know it was paid stays plus my timeshare stays. Thanks.

I'm so long-in-the-tooth with Marriott Rewards (first 3 numbers of my membership number start with 000) that Bill Marriott gave me lifetime Platinum status a couple years ago. Thank you, Bill! It's nice to see loyalty does count. I also received lifetime Silver Medallion status with Delta Airlines once I'd reached the million mile mark. Good PR.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would word the last part of that sentence as follows....

...and you then in turn might also erroneously get the elite night credits.

That would be more clear, since officially they don't have to grant the nights for exchange and getaway stays. Though the T&C don't necessarily limit these except through this condition.

Only nights personally stayed and individually billed at participating hotels are credited toward Elite membership and renewal.

Though it is still vauge.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

No... it's elite nights credit. You get points also, but only for the amounts charged to your room.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
ecwinch: You mean if I go into the Marketplace @ Ocean Pointe & buy a muffin & a coffee they give me "elite night credit"? How many nights? ( now I am totally confused, Dave!!)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Not necessarily, if you go in and pay cash.

People are talking about if you are staying at the resort, there is a theory that if you have no room charges they won't report your stay to Marriott to receive your credit for number of nights stayed. So, put something on your room charge.

No one is saying that if you live next door to a Marriott and buy something there you are entitled to credit for staying a night...at least they haven't figured out how yet! Also, you are only credited POINTS for purchases in conjunction with a stay (or conference reservation I believe.) But, you can get points for using your Marriott rewards VISA at any time.