• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I sell it back to Marriott?

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paid 19,500 for platinum Manor Club 2 years ago - it now sells for about 23,000 (they told me the exact figures, but I didn't write them down).

Called today. They said it'll be easy to sell it - I should net 13,500. (That's an about - 60% of current developer price). Of course this is a good price vs. ebay/etc.

Points are no longer worth it because of devaluation coming. :mad:

So......

If I sell it, I basically lose 6000 dollars. I did use my points for 4 flights to Hawaii and 2 hotel certs and one week at Manor Club this year (I get to use this year's week even if it sells in 2 days - which they said is likely). Do you think that's 6000 worth? (of course your answer is only a mental happy or sad).

It seems as though I could buy another one for less! (not saying I would do that - but geez - it sounds like someone with cash could pick one up on ebay for 8000 and sell it back - unless you can't sell back a resale?)

If I want points, I can buy them. I'm out from under 880 maintenance fees. I still have my Marriott Aruba.

If I keep it, I can use it. But right now I don't need it. We're using it this once - but we bought it (stupidly) for points - and now they're devalued. We can't use 3 weeks of vacation (we also own Hilton) - we love Aruba. Well... I could sell that one instead perhaps (bought that one resale) - but the great thing about OWNING Aruba is owning the view. I wouldn't want to trade into Aruba and risk not getting the view.

I realize I could rent it each year. I just hate the thought of that stress - but I'll listen to what you have to say.

You can tell I'm hoping to hear you say sell - but I am really asking advice. :)

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen,

You can probably buy a 2BR replacement at MMC for about $7K if you buy today. I called and put one of my Marriotts on the list to be sold so that I can justify buying a cheap resale (or two) in today's market. :ignore:

Terry

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen,

You can probably buy a 2BR replacement at MMC for about $7K if you buy today. I called and put one of my Marriotts on the list to be sold so that I can justify buying a cheap resale (or two) in today's market. :ignore:

Terry

You're probably the one person in front of me. They said they only have one in front of me - the one before that sold in 2 days.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's odd. I contacted Marriott resales to try to have them sell mine. They said they had a LOT of units and are very backed up. They told me they would email me the listing documents, but nothing yet in my email.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the specific resort, but if you can sell it for 60% of current developer prices, that's a good price for a quick sale, IMHO.

I'm assuming you want to dispose of the unit and understand that you will take a loss no matter how you sell it.

-David

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Zac495:

I understand your frustration with the devaluation of Marriott Rewards. The trip I was planning for 150,000 points now looks out of reach.

I was under the impression that if you purchase a Marriott TS resale, that Marriott will not permit to convert over to Marriott Rewards. (On the other hand, Hilton will treat you resale points exactly the same way as they treat the points that I purchased directly from Hilton.) If my understanding of the Marriott rules as explained to me in a TS sales presentation is correct, then I don't understand what you gain by selling your current property at the Manor for a loss and then purchasing a different Marriott property resale. Please explain.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Ellen-
I'll present a little different analysis for you (I am very good at rationalizing spending money- I always tell my hubbie that I increase our net worth by all my bargain shopping ;) ):
If you feel you will no longer trade for points, then owning a Marriott direct purchase doesn't hold additional value for you. If you let Marriott sell it for you and take a net loss of 6K, and then buy another for $7000 on the resale market (assuming it is MMC; MSE may not go quite as low and may run a little higher) as suggested above, then you will still have a Manor Club unit for use and/or trade, and assuming a net sale for $13,500 and purchase for $7500 ($7000 plus ~$500 closing costs), you will have recouped your $6000 loss, still have a Manor Club unit for trade and/or use, have your 4 tickets to Hawaii and 2 weeks of hotel, and no net loss other than the ability to trade for points.

:doh:

Last edited:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zac495:

I understand your frustration with the devaluation of Marriott Rewards. The trip I was planning for 150,000 points now looks out of reach.

I was under the impression that if you purchase a Marriott TS resale, that Marriott will not permit to convert over to Marriott Rewards. (On the other hand, Hilton will treat you resale points exactly the same way as they treat the points that I purchased directly from Hilton.) If my understanding of the Marriott rules as explained to me in a TS sales presentation is correct, then I don't understand what you gain by selling your current property at the Manor for a loss and then purchasing a different Marriott property resale. Please explain.

You are correct - if you buy it resale, you cannot convert it. That's why I bought it for points - I wanted the points. Now that the points are devalued, I no longer want to pay 880 maintenance fee for 110K points.

You are correct, Hilton does not punish you in that way - you can't get elite status which isn't a big deal.

what do I gain by selling ? NOTHING. I don't want to purchase another right now - sure - one day - when we can vacation more I might. More likely I'd purchase more Hilton points. That said - it's possible in this market to sell my Manor and get another for less - but I don't think that would be a wise gamble. Were I sure I wanted to use my Manor club every year - or wanted to trade it - I shouldn't sell it. Or maybe I'll lose out and regret it. That's why I'm picking tuggers' brains. Did that make sense?

Vacationlover - is your property a 2 bed platinum? I'm wondering why they told you something different...

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds Like The Time To Sell

Ellen-
I'll present a little different analysis for you (I am very good at rationalizing spending money- I always tell my hubbie that I increase our net worth by all my bargain shopping ;) ):
If you feel you will no longer trade for points, then owning a Marriott direct purchase doesn't hold additional value for you. If you let Marriott sell it for you and take a net loss of 6K, and then buy another for $7000 on the resale market (assuming it is MMC; MSE may not go quite as low and may run a little higher) as suggested above, then you will still have a Manor Club unit for use and/or trade, and assuming a net sale for $13,500 and purchase for $7500 ($7000 plus ~$500 closing costs), you will have recouped your $6000 loss, still have a Manor Club unit for trade and/or use, have your 4 tickets to Hawaii and 2 weeks of hotel, and no net loss other than the ability to trade for points.

Your analysis makes sense.

Sounds like Ellen should sell back to Marriott and buy a resale unit.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen-

YOU are a GENIUS!:banana: I just may do this!!!!!! I will let you know when it is sold. The Marriott rep said it should take a very short time once I sign, but vacationlover heard differently... We shall see. Thank you!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
YOU are a GENIUS!:banana: I just may do this!!!!!! I will let you know when it is sold. The Marriott rep said it should take a very short time once I sign, but vacationlover heard differently... We shall see. Thank you!

:clap: Glad to help. Some people shop to live...and others live to shop :) . This is just a natural extension.

And- the best part about this plan is that you will have $6000 in your pocket that you didn't have before, which will be nice spending money for that wonderful Hawaii trip!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen-

This is exctly my logic for putting one of my units on the list! ;)

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would sell. I have a Marriott Grande Ocean Gold I'm thinking of selling with Marriott. I have too many timeshares and need to downsize.

Please let us know when it sells.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
m61376 is brilliant

I guess my heading says it all. Even if you don't get the $13,500 that Marriott suggested, you will still end up with cash in your pocket instead of paying $880 annually for points that you will not be using. I think Seth Nock sells Marriott TSs resale as well as Hilton TSs resale. You may want to bounce this off him if you want to unload your Manor TS quickly.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear...if you purhased a RESALE unit you cannot sell back to Marriott for the 60% of developer prices correct? I think Aruba Gold Oceaside (what we own) is around $30K now. 60% would be $18K which is more than the $15,500 we paid resale a couple of years ago.

Not sure what Surf Club's are selling on eBay for these days.......

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would sell it also...

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would never sell a developer bought purchase for a resale. You've already spent the extra money to purchase from Marriott and that extra cost should be spread among years and offset with vacations purchased with points to make up that cost. At this point in time, you may feel like you won't trade for points but with hotel costs rising year by year and becoming prohibitive, "purchasing" some nights with points may become more attractive to you in the future. It's nice to have that flexibility (you've already paid for it) and you won't have that flexibility with a resale. A one time savings of $6000 is not worth taking away that flexibility, imho. That is just worth one trip yet points get you many trips.

Whatever you choose should turn out fine since you have used and enjoyed your units. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

Steve

Reaction score
Yes, you can

Just to be clear...if you purhased a RESALE unit you cannot sell back to Marriott for the 60% of developer prices correct?

Yes, you can sell your week through Marriott...if it is a resort that they are accepting weeks from...regardless of how and from whom you bought it.

I purchased a Marriott resort from a private party. Marriott later sold it for me at more than 3 times the price that I had paid. After Marriott took their 40%, my remaining 60% was still nearly twice what I paid for the week.

The idea that you can't resell a week through Marriott unless you bought it directly from Marriott is FALSE.

Steve

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what resorts Marriott wants right now? I can only assume they won't by any week from any resort for 60% of todays price.

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
so here's my thoughts...
i had an aruba ocean club that i wanted to sell for various reasons(escalating m/f's and we don't care for the direction the island is taking)so i listed it on various resale sites and no takers. happened to get a letter from marriott offering to purchase at just about what we paid for it(purchased preconstruction and got 10 years worth of use.) so we did the deal. had the check in hand about 10 days after forwarding signed agreement for sale and never regretted it. got out from under the ever increasing m/f's and s/a.
in this market, IF you want to sell i would go with the marriott offer.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Interesting idea. Let's see if I understand what's being proposed.

Let's use your purchase price of 19,500. That was 2 years ago. Over the past 2 years, you have not had use of that 19,500 because Marriott had your money. That had a cost. If we assume that you could have bought tax free bonds with those funds, you could have gotten about a 4% annual after-tax return on that money. 4% of 19,500 is $780 per year in lost interest income to you.

Also, you paid your maintenance fees. I don't know the Manor Club fees, but let's assume that they are in the $750-800 range.

So your out of pocket cost per year of ownership has been the $780 in lost interest income plus the $750-800 in maintenance fees. You also lost the opportunity to use that $19,500 to do other things - that's lost "opportunity cost," but it is an intangible that I can't really assign a dollar value to.

So your yearly cost was therefore about $1550 (adding the lost interest income and the maintenance fee). For that, you received the benefit of several nice vacations, including airfare + hotel + usage of your timeshare unit. Since vacations are costly, you may have done OK with your developer purchase. (I rationalize my own developer purchase 4 years ago this way as well - I've had some very nice vacations that I would otherwise probably not been able to afford. These vacations I think would have cost quite a bit more than the 1550 per year figure that I came up with. But these were of course done using the old Marriott Rewards points structure, before this recent devaluation.)

Now it is proposed that you sell (and net 13,500) and then repurchase (for perhaps 7500). If you sell, you will take a net loss on your original investment of 6000 and put 13,500 back into your pocket. But if you are able to repurchase for 7500 (a key question - is that figure reasonable?), you will be left with 6000 from the resale proceeds of 13,500. So you now have 6000 back in your pocket, you once again own the timeshare week (and will be paying future maintenance fees), but you no longer have the trading for points option. Hmm.... If you enjoyed trading your timeshare usage for points, there is a "cost" to losing that option (though I think we will all agree that this "cost" is now lower because of the recent devaluation).

It's an interesting idea to mull over. I'm not quite sure.... Someone else is welcome to point out what I may be missing.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
There seems to be some question about whether Marriott will or will not agree to take your timeshare for sale and list it through their resale dept if you bought it resale to start with. I know one Tugger has posted that they did do this but I think it might depend upon whether they need inventory to sell. In other words the policy might be different for different resorts and even different from time to time depending upon the market needs. It would be great if someone who owns a Marriott they bought resale in a Sold Out Marriott resort would call the resale dept and inquire about this and post the answer.

tommyjoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
what is it worth to me now..

I think all of this analysis about how much you spent in the past is silly. For example, I play a little poker, when I try to determine if I have "pot odds" to make a bet I look at how much is in the pot vs. how much I now have to wager. I might have already put other money in the pot on previous bets, but that isn't pertinent. That money is already gone! I just have to determine what my oppurtunities are NOW.
If someone offered you what Marriott is offering you for your ts would you take it and be glad you're out of the game? If yes, sell, if no don't sell.
jmo
Thomas

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
There seems to be some question about whether Marriott will or will not agree to take your timeshare for sale and list it through their resale dept if you bought it resale to start with. I know one Tugger has posted that they did do this but I think it might depend upon whether they need inventory to sell. In other words the policy might be different for different resorts and even different from time to time depending upon the market needs. It would be great if someone who owns a Marriott they bought resale in a Sold Out Marriott resort would call the resale dept and inquire about this and post the answer.

Marriott will list it for sale and make money on that sale no matter where you purchased it. It costs them nothing to add your unit to the resale list, which may be a long or short list.

-David